flammverit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By flammverit

Hi guys, 

I'm about to get a new internet link and I want to know if bandwidth of 6 Mbit/s is enough for watching HD movies using Xbox Live or Netflix? It will provide a download speed of around 700 kbit/s.  

So will it be enough? If not could I watch SD movies at least? 

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Zurv

it should be fine.. i think the netflix "HD" only uses around 3mb... 

netflix HD is still kinda crap :) but better than SD ones :)
Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Nadafinga

I have 3Mb and it streams HD just fine.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

Hah, I got 24Mbps and those cock suckers at Comcast don't let me play HD video on Netflix while I watch it on the PS3 in the evening.   

700 kbit/s is good enough, you'll be fine for everyday stuff.  Dunno about how good HD you could get, but SD is a most def.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Kazona

It should suffice for HD, if just barely.

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By TheJohn

What is your upload? 
Some ISPs give fast download but shitty upload, and as a result your line is sort of crippled

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mordukai
@KaosAngel said:
" Hah, I got 24Mbps and those cock suckers at Comcast don't let me play HD video on Netflix while I watch it on the PS3 in the evening.    700 kbit/s is good enough, you'll be fine for everyday stuff.  Dunno about how good HD you could get, but SD is a most def. "
huh? 
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By KaosAngel
@Mordukai: For some reason my web gets all slow during the evening.  :| 

I think Comcast is throttling me.
GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9  Edited By GS_Dan
@KaosAngel: Probs just peak times.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By MikkaQ
@TheJohn said:

" What is your upload?  Some ISPs give fast download but shitty upload, and as a result your line is sort of crippled "

Ugh that's the worst. I have no idea why I have cable if I can't even use the speed most of the time. They also slapped with a 60gig monthly limit, which I use up with Netflix, Steam, and playing games online. I hardly even torrent anymore, but when I do, it's throttled by my ISP. I have it real shitty, never get internet in Canada, the two companies running the show blow.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mordukai
@KaosAngel: It might be because you and your neighbors share a single connection.
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Gizmo

It's the traffic management you need to keep an eye on, that's the real bitch.

UsbCable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By UsbCable

I have 25/25 via Fios but I'm getting a little above 30/30! :p I had cable a few months ago but peak times and packet lost started showing it's ugly ass again so I just switched. Cable (optimum online) was great in my area but both upstairs and downstairs in my house alone got it recently AND most of the block has it so I can't blame them tooooooooo much for my conection crapping up.

Edit: I forgot the helpful part lol. I had 1.5 download in the past via dsl and everything ran fine still. It's when I had 784 kbps I had problems sometimes so you should be good OP.

flammverit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By flammverit

I @TheJohn said:

" What is your upload?  Some ISPs give fast download but shitty upload, and as a result your line is sort of crippled "

I'm not sure but knowing my ISP offerings I'm pretty sure it will be no more than 1.5 Mbps
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Dany
@flammverit said:
" Hi guys,  I'm about to get a new internet link and I want to know if bandwidth of 6 Mbit/s is enough for watching HD movies using Xbox Live or Netflix? It will provide a download speed of around 700 kbit/s.   So will it be enough? If not could I watch SD movies at least?  "
I have that at home, yes it will work for streaming HD video form their Zune Store and netflix. Only thing is, if your brother or mom want to hop on the computer while you are watching a movie on your xbox, the quality will go down, other then that if its just your xbox thats connected then you will be fine for HD content
flammverit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By flammverit
@Gizmo said:
" It's the traffic management you need to keep an eye on, that's the real bitch. "
I don't think my ISP is doing any traffic management.  I'm getting this link in Mexico and most homes have only 1 or 2 Mbps links so I think they don't have bandwidth problems (yet) because we just got Xbox Live movies and iTunes movies services this month (Netflix was a reference for you as we don't have it here).

It's a cable company and I think I'm the only one with a 6 Mbps internet link in my neighborhood. So I'm gonna try to enjoy it as long as I can :P 
flammverit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By flammverit
@Dany said:
" @flammverit said:
" Hi guys,  I'm about to get a new internet link and I want to know if bandwidth of 6 Mbit/s is enough for watching HD movies using Xbox Live or Netflix? It will provide a download speed of around 700 kbit/s.   So will it be enough? If not could I watch SD movies at least?  "
I have that at home, yes it will work for streaming HD video form their Zune Store and netflix. Only thing is, if your brother or mom want to hop on the computer while you are watching a movie on your xbox, the quality will go down, other then that if its just your xbox thats connected then you will be fine for HD content "
Thanks, good point!   will keep that in mind
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iam3green

it should be fine man. it also matters on your upload. it is more download than upload.

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mrskidders

Should be alright.  Move to Seville if you have a problem, 52Mb download,26Mb upload, unlimited bandwidth.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20  Edited By spiceninja

It's plenty. I used to be on a 3Mbps connection and HD ran fine.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

You'll probably be fine.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By ShadowSkill11

I've got 25 Mbps down / 25 Mbps up with FIOS but I usually get around 30. I'm just glad I don't have download limits unlike COmcast and many other cable based providers. Hell, I downloaded over 300 GB of data via torrent just last night(hard drive failure in my server) to replace some info I lost.

timmysprinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By timmysprinkles
@XII_Sniper:  I have Shaw internet and they never do anything like that to me. Maybe you should switch to Shaw.
TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheJohn
@flammverit said:

" I @TheJohn said:

I'm not sure but knowing my ISP offerings I'm pretty sure it will be no more than 1.5 Mbps "
Since I don't stream much HD myself, I'm cautious to give advice, but the line you're describing seems a bit faster than mine. And I've yet to notice any reason for complaint. But search the web, and keep your upload in mind, and you should figure it out pretty easy, I guess.

@XII_Sniper said:

Ugh that's the worst. I have no idea why I have cable if I can't even use the speed most of the time. They also slapped with a 60gig monthly limit, which I use up with Netflix, Steam, and playing games online. I hardly even torrent anymore, but when I do, it's throttled by my ISP. I have it real shitty, never get internet in Canada, the two companies running the show blow. "

Indeed it is. My provider had all the good plans hidden away, in an attempt to lure their customers into choosing the cheaper plans with shitty upload. But I shan't really complain, as internet supply is pretty robust here in Norway. One just need to know what to ask for. And be prepared to pay the price of admission.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Pinworm45

I have 4.2mbps connection in Canada and netflix runs in HD just fine. 

I also get every game from Steam, and it works for me, so long as you don't mind waiting a few hours (which I rarely have to do anyway since steam has Preloading most of the time)