• 107 results
#1 Edited by SuperSambo (2879 posts) -

Hey,

I'm sure that you have noticed the influx in Alex Navarro's Giantbomb activity. He does more work than Brad nowdays doing numerous quick looks, reviews, podcasts and what not, as well as appearing on the Gianbomb Panel at PAX.  He is also modeling the new Giantbomb tshirt on the webstore.

So, what do you think? Do you see him as a member of Giantbomb, or as an active guest.

#2 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1335 posts) -

Brads to busy bitching about being busy to actually do any work :P

#3 Posted by Aronman789 (2682 posts) -

He's just a friend of theirs that has experience in the field and likes to help out.

#4 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

He's a member of the Whiskey Media team who is easily qualified to do work on both Screened and Giant Bomb.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

He's an honorary member?
#6 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

Alex is a dudebro 

he fits in the gang naturally and doesnt need an official 'GB staff' tag 

he's a GB dudebro

#7 Posted by Lelcar (701 posts) -

I wouldn't say that he does more work than Brad. Brad does a ton of interviews, quicklooks, Ask Me Anythings, and a bunch of other features. He's on vacation right now, so it might not seem like he's doing much this week, but Brad's a hard worker. However, Alex is getting more and more involved with Giantbomb. He's still co-hosting Screened.com though, so he's not as active as Ryan, Vinny, Jeff, and Brad, but he's getting there. I actually like Alex, and I kinda hope that he leaves Screened.com and works full-time on Giantbomb. And the way that it's looking, I think that he just might be permanently on Giantbomb, which would be awesome. I'm sure they can find another guy to fill his spot at Screened and keep Rorie company.

#8 Posted by MisterDunlap (245 posts) -

He might to as well be, but it's really irrelevant whether he technically is or not. We still get our funny Navarro Quick Looks, and we still get our movie goodness from him as well. It's rather pointless trying to argue whether he is, or is not, part of GiantBomb. Just enjoy him.

#9 Posted by ajamafalous (12035 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" He's a member of the Whiskey Media team who is easily qualified to do work on both Screened and Giant Bomb. "

#10 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" He's an honorary member? "
He's as much a member as Dave is.  And I consider Dave a member.
#11 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

alex loves videogames, he works in the same office as giantbomb, and he is friends with all of them ... oh ya and he is a fan of sports games in general

It seems natural to me. 

Now they need to get the comicvine people in on the comic book games in the future =p

#12 Edited by Ben99 (1135 posts) -

He is the best gaming editor IMO. I remember his Burnout Paradise review in GS and when I bought that game based on his review . Also, his latest reviews are amazing . 

#13 Posted by ShaunassNZ (2128 posts) -

Screened.com is just an excuse to have Alex on Whiskey Media.

#14 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5146 posts) -

He is a friend of the website with a lot of expirence in reviewing video game, and he still plays new video game so why not be nice and give GB a review.

#15 Posted by Daveyo520 (6861 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" He's a member of the Whiskey Media team who is easily qualified to do work on both Screened and Giant Bomb. "
#16 Posted by RJPelonia (863 posts) -

No.

#17 Posted by Portis (1287 posts) -

Whiskey Media is a small company, and Alex likes video games. Why wouldn't he want to be on Quick Looks and play some games with his buds? :)

#18 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

I like Rorie

#19 Posted by SuperSambo (2879 posts) -
@Lelcar said:
" I wouldn't say that he does more work than Brad. Brad does a ton of interviews, quicklooks, Ask Me Anythings, and a bunch of other features. He's on vacation right now, so it might not seem like he's doing much this week, but Brad's a hard worker. However, Alex is getting more and more involved with Giantbomb. He's still co-hosting Screened.com though, so he's not as active as Ryan, Vinny, Jeff, and Brad, but he's getting there. I actually like Alex, and I kinda hope that he leaves Screened.com and works full-time on Giantbomb. And the way that it's looking, I think that he just might be permanently on Giantbomb, which would be awesome. I'm sure they can find another guy to fill his spot at Screened and keep Rorie company. "
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't calling Brad lazy, just that Alex seems to be everywhere!
#20 Edited by JJWeatherman (14560 posts) -

Doesn't matter to me whether or not he's an official part of the GB team. As long as he can do both Screened stuff AND Giant Bomb stuff, then I'm happy as can be.

#21 Posted by D0tti (786 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel said:
#22 Edited by SuperSambo (2879 posts) -
@SuperSambo said:

"Do you see him as a member of Giantbomb, or as an active guest. "

@RJPelonia said:

" No. "

Nice...
#23 Edited by zameer (606 posts) -

I'm not getting how this is a big deal. Even if you weren't acquainted with his work at GameSpot I think it should be clear to most people that WM shifts its editorial resources around.  

A bit of a sidetrack here, but I'm not getting the Navarro hate that pops up occasionally. It's strange that people take to Dave (whose work I thoroughly enjoy, PC REPRESENT) better when he isn't solely a GiantBomb staffer and isn't necessarily as qualified as Alex. I guess they find Alex abrasive?

In any case, I honestly wouldn't mind other WM staffers doing coverage here.. I'd love to see Sara and Tony review a comic book game if their schedules permit, and it'd be nice to see Will and Norm give the more esoteric PC titles a look.

#24 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -

Brads on , in my opinion everybody is a Staff member of Whiskey and they work to increase that business which incorporates all of the sites, It's like a massive family sort of deal, and it works, I think there should be more crossover like this, it's great. 

Especially when one team member is out on or "assignment"

#25 Posted by onlineatron (178 posts) -

WHY ARE THESE PEOPLE WE DON'T KNOW DOING THESE THINGS!? LETS COMMENT ON THEIR RELATIONSHIPS AND WORKING PATTERNS! 

*Waits for the hate*

#26 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (466 posts) -

It should just be one big Whiskey Media melting pot, really. There is nothing wrong with a little cross pollination.

#27 Posted by Gamer_152 (14091 posts) -

I'd call him "a frequent guest".

#28 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

Is Brad away on assignment currently? I would assume so, otherwise what the hell is he doing?

#29 Posted by zameer (606 posts) -
@Gizmo: He's on holiday! At least that's the reason they gave for his absence from this week's Bombcast.
#30 Posted by rndmtask (144 posts) -

He's stated on the Screened podcast that he just likes writing about videogames as much as movies, so he might as well write reviews of the games GB doesn't normally review, like sports titles.

#31 Posted by Ezekeilpurger (322 posts) -

he's pretty much been a part of the giantbomb crew even before it started..

#32 Posted by natetodamax (19212 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel said:
This. He can literally be in any video for them by walking a few steps from his chair.
#33 Posted by rjayb89 (7726 posts) -

Rorie>Dave>Alex=Jared>>>>>>>>>Banana mouth>Brad

Whatever that means.

#34 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

He knows his video game, so I don't mind

#35 Posted by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -
@SuperSambo: Brad had the week off, so they were a man down.  Therefor, they brought Alex (and Rorie in one case) in for all those Quick Looks.  Basically, he's their overflow guy.  When they have more than the four of them can handle, or someone is out of the office, they'll bring him in.
#36 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
@SuperSambo said:
" Hey,  I'm sure that you have noticed the influx in Alex Navarro's Giantbomb activity. He does more work than Brad nowdays doing numerous quick looks, reviews, podcasts and what not, as well as appearing on the Gianbomb Panel at PAX.  He is also modeling the new Giantbomb tshirt on the webstore.  So, what do you think? Do you see him as a member of Giantbomb, or as an active guest. "
Brads on vacation and Alex has had past experience doing the whole game journalism thing. You know the Gamespot days? So even if it is just a guest role until Brad's vacation is over, he will always feel like a regular member regardless. 
#37 Posted by Mafuchi (47 posts) -

I think the point of this is to find out which team Alex would be on in our fantasy baseball team.  GB or Screened?

#38 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Everyone under the whiskey media umbrella is allowed to be a contributor to the sister sites. Surprise surprise, the guy who reviewed games for a decade is helping out Giantbomb.

#39 Posted by iAmJohn (6128 posts) -
@rjayb89 said:
" Rorie>Dave>Alex=Jared>>>>>>>>>Banana mouth>Brad Whatever that means. "
It means you suck and have terrible taste.
#40 Posted by paulunga (2055 posts) -
@zameer said:
"  I'm not getting how this is a big deal. Even if you weren't acquainted with his work at GameSpot I think it should be clear to most people that WM shifts its editorial resources around.   A bit of a sidetrack here, but I'm not getting the Navarro hate that pops up occasionally. It's strange that people take to Dave (whose work I thoroughly enjoy, PC REPRESENT) better when he isn't solely a GiantBomb staffer and isn't necessarily as qualified as Alex. I guess they find Alex abrasive? In any case, I honestly wouldn't mind other WM staffers doing coverage here.. I'd love to see Sara and Tony review a comic book game if their schedules permit, and it'd be nice to see Will and Norm give the more esoteric PC titles a look. "
Haters gonna hate. And there's some hate for just about everyone in the GB crew, which just goes to show that the internet really is a giant pile of douche.

As far as the original question, of course he is part of the crew and I pretty much consider all other WM employees willing to show up from time to time part of the crew.

Also, Dave's sister.
#41 Posted by President_Barackbar (3467 posts) -
@ShaunassNZ said:
" Screened.com is just an excuse to have Alex on Whiskey Media. "
Except for the fact that, you know, the dude totally knows a lot of shit about movies.
#42 Posted by SuperSambo (2879 posts) -
@rndmtask said:
" He's stated on the Screened podcast that he just likes writing about videogames as much as movies, so he might as well write reviews of the games GB doesn't normally review, like sports titles. "
I remeber him saying on the GB podcast where they introduced Screened that while working at Gamespot the thought of reviewing games was soul destroying.

The fact that you have to stick to the same sort of paragraphs, about grapics, length, gameplay etc.

So either he hates writing about movies, or he had a massive u-turn.
#43 Posted by Sathan (41 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" Doesn't matter to me whether or not he's an official part of the GB team. As long as he can do both Screened stuff AND Giant Bomb stuff, then I'm happy as can be. "
#44 Posted by teh_destroyer (3569 posts) -
@Aronman789 said:
" He's just a friend of theirs that has experience in the field and likes to help out. "
This, plus he knows just as much about games as he does movies and tv shows.
#45 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

More like he's member of WM and has experience reviewing games under his belt. I'm sure they'd let Norm write a review if he felt experienced enough in a particular game that the "official" staff did not.

In fact I would qualify Alex as a GB staffer well before I would consider Brad Nicholson one.

#46 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Alex is not part of the canon.

#47 Posted by Aaron_G (1616 posts) -

I don't see why it matter if he helps them out when he has nothing better to do. He gives them a hand and they get more content and reviews up on the site. 

#48 Posted by rndmtask (144 posts) -
@SuperSambo: Yeah, but that was when he was opening up the new site, so he was probably just jaded. I think he just missed it, and thought it would be fun to write about games again.
#49 Edited by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@rjayb89 said:

" Rorie>Dave>Alex=Jared>>>>>>>>>Banana mouth>Brad Whatever that means. "

> means "greater than". You've got it completely backwards. 

Alex was one of the original Gamespot staff. Of course he counts. 

This validates my point: 

#50 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -

Spiritually, he's always been a giantbomber, since he was reviewing games along with the other folk back in the GS days.