Is anybody going to a Tax Day Tea Party?

• 194 results
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By ninjakiller
Kr3lian said:
"I have to say, I have met a good lot of people who actually lived through WWII and the great depression.  None of them think the New Deal was such a huge failure.  I can recall my grandmother saying that she would always vote Democrat "no matter what" because of the great things FDR did.Silly old people.  Don't they know how big of a FAILURE the New Deal was?  Gosh, to think that they believe their own lying eyes, instead of people that think Ayn Rand tripe is "literature"."
Watching history being rewritten from whole cloth is a trademark or Neoconservatism. 

BoG said:
"Kr3lian said:
"I have to say, I have met a good lot of people who actually lived through WWII and the great depression.  None of them think the New Deal was such a huge failure.  I can recall my grandmother saying that she would always vote Democrat "no matter what" because of the great things FDR did.Silly old people.  Don't they know how big of a FAILURE the New Deal was?  Gosh, to think that they believe their own lying eyes, instead of people that think Ayn Rand tripe is "literature"."
Let's generalize, shall we? I've met tons of old people who think the New Deal awful, and also lived through it. My grandparents rather dislike FDR.
I'm also curious if you've ever read Ayn Rand. Whether or not you agree with her, she makes some valid points in her books, and her ideas are very thought provoking.
"

The general feelings on FDR seem to come from one's economic standing during the great depression.  The rich and well-off hatted him because he was a "traitor" for introducing social security, and taxing the hell out of them.  To the poor and basically shut out sectors of the population he was a savior. 
Bill_Hickz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152  Edited By Bill_Hickz

God Fox News is going too far with this 9/12 project...

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#153  Edited By AgentJ
mikevanpwn said:
"AgentJ said:
"mikevanpwn said:
"AgentJ said:
"mikevanpwn said:
I've already replied to statements just like this in the thread already!  I'm just repeating myself at this point!   I've already stated that people arguing that there have in fact been tax cuts are too short sighted, and I've stated that people are angry about the taxes that we are facing down the road, not the here and now!  Just every time its someone different who comes in and posts their own iteration of the same argument.  So perhaps this may move the conversation along...

Agree or Disagree: Trillions of dollars have been spent this year alone, we'll eventually have to pay for it."
Of course it will have to be payed for, but it will never be payed if we dont have money to pay for it, and we wont have money to pay for it unless we right the economy. Taxes will of course have to be high for a while, theres no question. But if the alternative is cutting school funding and medicare, i think the higher taxes are the better idea. 
By the way, a number of the points that were brought up in the post you quoted had not been brought up previously, so i suggest you respond to them before looking like a total fool. 
"
I'm pretty sure I've been called worse in this topic than a fool, so I don't need to worry about that.The Stimulus Plan was passed out of haste, the economy has shown signs of improvement, and even before the plan has begun to take real effect.   The tax payers are going to be stuck holding the bag after this is over, it could have been handled better.   As in, perhaps reading the actual plan completely before voting on it.   Plus look at Van Buren's actions in the Panic of 1837, or Warren G. Harding's actions in the 1920 recession; those are two great examples on how to not react properly.  You cant throw money at a problem and solve it, the New Deal already proved that."
Ugh, the New Deal argument again. Its amazing how all republicans bring up the same talking points over and over again. And I hope you realize that not only was that stimulus plan written by the bush administration, but there was also a stimulus package passed before Obama even took office that was nearly as expensive, not to mention all of our stimulus packages early last year. I dont remember protests when Bush got those passed.
"
Since when did I defend Bush?  The TARP plan was Bush's his doing, but the Stimulus was driven by Obama.  I thought the TARP was stupid, but I wasn't surprised that Bush supported it, he isn't the most fiscal conservative out there, look at his large spending he had throughout his term.  And yes the New Deal example, why do you hate it so much?  The New Deal attempted to prop up up the failing economy by heavily investing in the private sector and it fell apart like a house of cards in 1937. 

I posted this quote already but I'll post it again: "We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. I want to see this country prosperous. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises ... After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started. ... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretaryThis was spoken at a House Ways & Means committee meeting in 1939, a democrat and a New Dealer admits to the failiure of a large spending plan.  You cant even argue for this type of spending, all it has done is lead to debt and inflation down the road.  Printing money only dillutes the value of the dollar.  You say that we need money now?  So lets say you had 10 dollars, and the government has been minting money for the past year to double the amount of money we have in circulation.  In that years time your 10 dollars would have turned into 5 dollars, you'd need 20 dollars to pay for something that you could have bought for 10 dollars before they printed the new money.  This new money holds no value.  Dont you see the problem?"
1. You dont seem to have either what i'm saying or what actually happened quite straight. I never said that you defended bush. But why didnt you support tax day tea parties when he was in office? And the stimulus package was written by the Bush Administration as well. Thats why there was so much pork, because it had been written before Obama got into office, and Obama felt it was more important to get the money flowing than to worry about the pork.
So my first question is, why weren't tea parties organized against bush?
2. I hate the new deal example because i've argued it to death on these forums already, so i feel tempted to not even bother. However, if you want me to argue its merits, i'll do it (grudgingly)
3. Really, didnt the video that YOU supplied show that major inflation didn't happen until the Reagan era? So where's all the inflation from the New Deal?
4. Printing money is something Bush did. Obama is not simply printing money to pay the debt, and if you think im wrong show me your source. In fact, didnt we just hear that inflation has gone down a bit recently?
mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#154  Edited By mikevanpwn
AgentJ said:
"mikevanpwn said:
"Since when did I defend Bush?  The TARP plan was Bush's his doing, but the Stimulus was driven by Obama.  I thought the TARP was stupid, but I wasn't surprised that Bush supported it, he isn't the most fiscal conservative out there, look at his large spending he had throughout his term.  And yes the New Deal example, why do you hate it so much?  The New Deal attempted to prop up up the failing economy by heavily investing in the private sector and it fell apart like a house of cards in 1937. 

I posted this quote already but I'll post it again: "We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. I want to see this country prosperous. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises ... After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started. ... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretaryThis was spoken at a House Ways & Means committee meeting in 1939, a democrat and a New Dealer admits to the failiure of a large spending plan.  You cant even argue for this type of spending, all it has done is lead to debt and inflation down the road.  Printing money only dillutes the value of the dollar.  You say that we need money now?  So lets say you had 10 dollars, and the government has been minting money for the past year to double the amount of money we have in circulation.  In that years time your 10 dollars would have turned into 5 dollars, you'd need 20 dollars to pay for something that you could have bought for 10 dollars before they printed the new money.  This new money holds no value.  Dont you see the problem?"
1. You dont seem to have either what i'm saying or what actually happened quite straight. I never said that you defended bush. But why didnt you support tax day tea parties when he was in office? And the stimulus package was written by the Bush Administration as well. Thats why there was so much pork, because it had been written before Obama got into office, and Obama felt it was more important to get the money flowing than to worry about the pork.
2. I hate the new deal example because i've argued it to death on these forums already, so i feel tempted to not even bother. However, if you want me to argue its merits, i'll do it (grudgingly)
3. Really, didnt the video that YOU supplied show that major inflation didn't happen until the Reagan era? So where's all the inflation from the New Deal?
4. Printing money is something Bush did. Obama is not simply printing money to pay the debt, and if you think im wrong show me your source. In fact, didnt we just hear that inflation has gone down a bit recently?
"
1.  As I said I didn't support Bush at all for his spending, or the TARP plan.  There were no spending protests however, and opposition to the current protests like to point that out.  I think most people found Bush's spending as lousy during his term but it never reached limits that it has today.  The deficit has been a big concern for a while now and I've hoped for actions in reducing it, obviously it hasn't been reduced but more than doubled instead.  And the Bush Administration didn't write the current Stimulus, they had an initial plan that they were drafting that was rejected by Obama's transition team and replaced it in favor for longer and larger spending plan.
2.  The New Deal argument explains a lot of whats going on today though, its relevant.
3.  Yes, Inflation started going up after we were taken off the Gold Standard by a REPUBLICAN president in the 70s.  I understand that, and I'm not arguing about the politics here.  But if you finish watching that video where you see the line get steeper and steeper before going vertically upwards.  That line represents how far we've gone off our spending base.
4.  Printing money is something that every president has done since the 1970s, with no gold standard there is nothing to keep bank notes in check!  And Obama isn't printing money to pay off debt, he's printing money to add to it!  The Stimulus plan has created money that is going to be invested into banks, and businesses.  Also for inflation, the market takes a few years to catch up from the current spending, that is why people are protesting spending right now, 'cause the future forcast doesn't look good.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By AgentJ
mikevanpwn said:
"AgentJ said:
"mikevanpwn said:
"Since when did I defend Bush?  The TARP plan was Bush's his doing, but the Stimulus was driven by Obama.  I thought the TARP was stupid, but I wasn't surprised that Bush supported it, he isn't the most fiscal conservative out there, look at his large spending he had throughout his term.  And yes the New Deal example, why do you hate it so much?  The New Deal attempted to prop up up the failing economy by heavily investing in the private sector and it fell apart like a house of cards in 1937. 

"
1.  As I said I didn't support Bush at all for his spending, or the TARP plan.  There were no spending protests however, and opposition to the current protests like to point that out.  I think most people found Bush's spending as lousy during his term but it never reached limits that it has today.  The deficit has been a big concern for a while now and I've hoped for actions in reducing it, obviously it hasn't been reduced but more than doubled instead.  And the Bush Administration didn't write the current Stimulus, they had an initial plan that they were drafting that was rejected by Obama's transition team and replaced it in favor for longer and larger spending plan.2.  The New Deal argument explains a lot of whats going on today though, its relevant.3.  Yes, Inflation started going up after we were taken off the Gold Standard by a REPUBLICAN president in the 70s.  I understand that, and I'm not arguing about the politics here.  But if you finish watching that video where you see the line get steeper and steeper before going vertically upwards.  That line represents how far we've gone off our spending base.4.  Printing money is something that every president has done since the 1970s, with no gold standard there is nothing to keep bank notes in check!  And Obama isn't printing money to pay off debt, he's printing money to add to it!  The Stimulus plan has created money that is going to be invested into banks, and businesses.  Also for inflation, the market takes a few years to catch up from the current spending, that is why people are protesting spending right now, 'cause the future forcast doesn't look good."
1. If it was so simple to reduce the defecit, that solution would have already been used. Its not something that they can just turn a crank on and fix things. It takes shrewd strategy, and I'm hoping that the strategy Obama picked is the one that's going to work. But the Bush Administration was the writer of the "current stimulus". Obama simply used what was left to him. And the point I was making was that only republicans are upset about Obamas spending because it seems they only care when a Democrat is in charge. Thats what happens when you watch and listen to those popular right-wing hosts every day.
2. It is relavant, Im just tired of arguing it. The last time i did i found out by the end that i was arguing with an anarchist, and realized that none of what I said would make sense to him.
3. I am going to trust Obama to take care of the Dollar, and so far I think he's doing a good job of protecting its value, so Im not too worried.
4. You dont seem to understand the idea that America is getting this money from China in a loan. They dont have to print money because they are borrowing it. So the money going into banks and buisnesses isnt coming from the printing presses, but from the Chinese coffers. 

BTW Citigroup and GM released hopeful earnings reports today, so Obama must be doing something right.
mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By mikevanpwn
AgentJ said:
"mikevanpwn said:
"AgentJ said:
"mikevanpwn said:

"
1.  As I said I didn't support Bush at all for his spending, or the TARP plan.  There were no spending protests however, and opposition to the current protests like to point that out.  I think most people found Bush's spending as lousy during his term but it never reached limits that it has today.  The deficit has been a big concern for a while now and I've hoped for actions in reducing it, obviously it hasn't been reduced but more than doubled instead.  And the Bush Administration didn't write the current Stimulus, they had an initial plan that they were drafting that was rejected by Obama's transition team and replaced it in favor for longer and larger spending plan.2.  The New Deal argument explains a lot of whats going on today though, its relevant.3.  Yes, Inflation started going up after we were taken off the Gold Standard by a REPUBLICAN president in the 70s.  I understand that, and I'm not arguing about the politics here.  But if you finish watching that video where you see the line get steeper and steeper before going vertically upwards.  That line represents how far we've gone off our spending base.4.  Printing money is something that every president has done since the 1970s, with no gold standard there is nothing to keep bank notes in check!  And Obama isn't printing money to pay off debt, he's printing money to add to it!  The Stimulus plan has created money that is going to be invested into banks, and businesses.  Also for inflation, the market takes a few years to catch up from the current spending, that is why people are protesting spending right now, 'cause the future forcast doesn't look good."
1. If it was so simple to reduce the defecit, that solution would have already been used. Its not something that they can just turn a crank on and fix things. It takes shrewd strategy, and I'm hoping that the strategy Obama picked is the one that's going to work. But the Bush Administration was the writer of the "current stimulus". Obama simply used what was left to him. And the point I was making was that only republicans are upset about Obamas spending because it seems they only care when a Democrat is in charge. Thats what happens when you watch and listen to those popular right-wing hosts every day.
2. It is relavant, Im just tired of arguing it. The last time i did i found out by the end that i was arguing with an anarchist, and realized that none of what I said would make sense to him.
3. I am going to trust Obama to take care of the Dollar, and so far I think he's doing a good job of protecting its value, so Im not too worried.
4. You dont seem to understand the idea that America is getting this money from China in a loan. They dont have to print money because they are borrowing it. So the money going into banks and buisnesses isnt coming from the printing presses, but from the Chinese coffers. 

BTW Citigroup and GM released hopeful earnings reports today, so Obama must be doing something right.
"
1.  You're right, it isn't easy to reduce a deficit.  But his continued spending isn't changing the tune that Bush had going.  And no, the Bush Administration had drafted a two year plan of roughly 500 billion (still a bad idea), Obama rejected that plan and created the larger one we see today.  Maybe the base of it stayed intact but the argument really isn't about which party created what now is it?  I've already stated that I disagreed with Bush's spending policy, but it isnt true that Obama just took the stimulus and simply rebranded it.
2. Well I'm not an anarchist so whats the point of not arguing it?
3. I'm going to trust no politician to take care of the dollar, they shouldn't have their hands this deep in the economy in the first place.
4. You expect me to sound relieved that China is paying for this?  They buy bonds in part, but even they couldnt afford the price tag of the stimulus package.  China isn't going to want to hold our whole debt, the excess spending will be paid for by minting money.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By AgentJ
mikevanpwn said:
"AgentJ said:

"
1.  You're right, it isn't easy to reduce a deficit.  But his continued spending isn't changing the tune that Bush had going.  And no, the Bush Administration had drafted a two year plan of roughly 500 billion (still a bad idea), Obama rejected that plan and created the larger one we see today.  Maybe the base of it stayed intact but the argument really isn't about which party created what now is it?  I've already stated that I disagreed with Bush's spending policy, but it isnt true that Obama just took the stimulus and simply rebranded it.2. Well I'm not an anarchist so whats the point of not arguing it?3. I'm going to trust no politician to take care of the dollar, they shouldn't have their hands this deep in the economy in the first place.4. You expect me to sound relieved that China is paying for this?  They buy bonds in part, but even they couldnt afford the price tag of the stimulus package.  China isn't going to want to hold our whole debt, the excess spending will be paid for by minting money."
1. I am well aware that you dont agree with Bush, but i want to make sure the facts are straight, as well as show how many prominent republicans are being complete hypocrites about the situation. I think you got it right about the base staying intact, but Obama never really put his fingers in that pie anyway, especially when it comes to the pork. Thats on the heads of the congressmen.
2. The point is that i've argued the point to death and I dont know yet whether you are a reasonable person or not. Its not an arguement I want to have again
3. Thats a pretty typical conservative idea, not that there is anything wrong with conservatism. I think thats a point where the two of us are going to have to agree to disagree.
4. Again, this isn't about appeasing you or angering you, but about getting the facts straight. We are essentially getting a payday loan from china in lieu of printing a bunch of money and falling into an inflation trap. I think you underestimate the power of China, as they most definately have the means to afford our stimulus package. 
5. You never did reply to the points that other poster made that i called you on. I cant believe i let you off the hook for all of that.
6. Question: Whats your plan to fix things then? I want numbers and specifics. 
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By crunchUK

Woah, politics....

needs moar girl advice

mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By mikevanpwn
AgentJ said:
"mikevanpwn said:
"AgentJ said:

"
1.  You're right, it isn't easy to reduce a deficit.  But his continued spending isn't changing the tune that Bush had going.  And no, the Bush Administration had drafted a two year plan of roughly 500 billion (still a bad idea), Obama rejected that plan and created the larger one we see today.  Maybe the base of it stayed intact but the argument really isn't about which party created what now is it?  I've already stated that I disagreed with Bush's spending policy, but it isnt true that Obama just took the stimulus and simply rebranded it.2. Well I'm not an anarchist so whats the point of not arguing it?3. I'm going to trust no politician to take care of the dollar, they shouldn't have their hands this deep in the economy in the first place.4. You expect me to sound relieved that China is paying for this?  They buy bonds in part, but even they couldnt afford the price tag of the stimulus package.  China isn't going to want to hold our whole debt, the excess spending will be paid for by minting money."
1. I am well aware that you dont agree with Bush, but i want to make sure the facts are straight, as well as show how many prominent republicans are being complete hypocrites about the situation. I think you got it right about the base staying intact, but Obama never really put his fingers in that pie anyway, especially when it comes to the pork. Thats on the heads of the congressmen.
2. The point is that i've argued the point to death and I dont know yet whether you are a reasonable person or not. Its not an arguement I want to have again
3. Thats a pretty typical conservative idea, not that there is anything wrong with conservatism. I think thats a point where the two of us are going to have to agree to disagree.
4. Again, this isn't about appeasing you or angering you, but about getting the facts straight. We are essentially getting a payday loan from china in lieu of printing a bunch of money and falling into an inflation trap. I think you underestimate the power of China, as they most definately have the means to afford our stimulus package. 
5. You never did reply to the points that other poster made that i called you on. I cant believe i let you off the hook for all of that.
"
1. Good we are in agreement. 
2. I've posted about 30 posts worth of my opinion, you decide.
3. Agreed.
4. I dont think China could afford the stimulus bill.  Sure maybe they could afford it in the most basic sense, but even they have been telling the US to stop spending, they can see the potential in the future for the US to go bankrupt, and no investor wants to put his money in a failing enterprise.  Although I'm not saying America will go down that path, but it causes concern, especially for the potential lenders.
5. I got the feeling that he wasn't there to debate more to attack me, I wasn't going to waste my time with it.  But I'll answer somethings here, as you've been fair, the thing is I agree with him about the spending in the start of his post.  I disagree with the poll as it comes off as short sighted.  Sure those at the tea parties aren't affected YET.  As when you give a dollar to somone, it has to be taken from somebody else.  Nothing in economics sorts itself out in a days, weeks or a years time.  Prosperity is the legacy of economic actions, as is poverty. And I had to look up who Michelle Malkin was so I didnt feel obliged to comment.
6. Now thats a complex question to ask, but I'll do my best to answer as breifly as possible. 

Let the companies fail.  That may sound harsh, but companies who gave loans to people with suspect credit shouldn't have been doing it in the first place.  Why is it my responsiblity that somone cant pay their mortgage?  Companies who were taking risks should be ready to take the consequence if it doesn't pan out, why should the government have to hold their hand when they fall?  This worked in the 1920's, when business over extended their reach the market would fall until it found the balance point, it worked.  The depression didnt result from this practice, it resulted in a whole lot of meddling by the Hoover administration, the federal government.

Also, take the auto industry.  GM, and the rest of the american auto industry has been in trouble for years, the union contracts they have right now are bleeding them dry.  They could go bankrupt and then re-emerge, negotiate better contracts, and start fresh. I personally would like to see no unions at all but I know that wont do today, and really thats another discussion.  Alfred P. Sloan, the man who really made GM what it is, or was, today, would have filed bankruptcy years ago and GM would have been running fine today.  Instead they continued to struggle until they had to go to the federal government to ask for assistance.

People are so afraid of instability today. Plants only grow better once they are pruned properly; if a company cant "prune" itself properly then its only going to grow out of control.  And even if a company like GM went bankrupt, if it was free from regulation it could spring back up from its ashes and negotiate new contracts for its employees.  If the market was able to take care of itself without politicians sticking their hands in it, then it would be doing a lot better.  Unemployment would fluctuate but stay relatively low, and when one company falls another will rise to take its place.

Warren G. Harding presided over a steep depression that lasted only a year (1920-21), and was quoted with saying "There will be depression after inflation, just as surely as the tides ebb and flow."  The momentum of irrational business will take the market into a nose dive to where the rational side of business will ride that downward momentum into an upswing, and so it goes.

So there you have it.  I have no plan to fix the economy, because a problem of this sort can only fix itself.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By AgentJ
This is, for the most part, well thought out and I applaud you for that. This is far more detailed than any plan our republican congressmen have presented to us. 
The problem with letting the companies fail is that suddenly there are thousands of people without jobs. This country can't afford to support all of them with welfare checks. This is kind of the part where I found out the other guy was an atheist, and he essentially said to screw those people and let them die. I doubt you would feel the same way, so I want to know how you would get those people new jobs.  (BTW wasn't hoover the one that simply let things be? And didnt unemployment rise into the 15 and 20 percents?)
The car companies(at least GM) are finally showing promise as of about yesterday, so it might be a bad idea to meddle with all of that now. Besides, i've seen a number of videos where republican talk-show hosts presented either a completely false number or one that was heavily construed, so i'd take those ideas about the Union contracts with a heavy grain of salt. 
You are probably right about GM had it filed a number of years ago, but unfortunately that isnt the scenario. Obama can't turn back the clock and tell Sloan to do what he should have done. He can only deal with whats going on right now. We have yet to see whether or not his strategy will eventually work, but the fact that GM is beating forecasts is a good sign. 
I will allow that the economy could possibly fix itself if we just left it alone, but I'd rather see my politicans trying to do something, and I dont want people to be left out in the cold because the government decided to "stay out of it".
Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

mikevanpwn said:
"AgentJ said:
"mikevanpwn said:
"AgentJ said:

"
"

Warren G. Harding presided over a steep depression that lasted only a year (1920-21), and was quoted with saying "There will be depression after inflation, just as surely as the tides ebb and flow."  The momentum of irrational business will take the market into a nose dive to where the rational side of business will ride that downward momentum into an upswing, and so it goes.
ZOMG, i made a post on that a few weeks ago and no one believed it or had heard of it. Nice to know someone else knows a little something about economic history.
mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By mikevanpwn
AgentJ said:
"
This is, for the most part, well thought out and I applaud you for that. This is far more detailed than any plan our republican congressmen have presented to us. 
The problem with letting the companies fail is that suddenly there are thousands of people without jobs. This country can't afford to support all of them with welfare checks. This is kind of the part where I found out the other guy was an anarchist, and he essentially said to screw those people and let them die. I doubt you would feel the same way, so I want to know how you would get those people new jobs.  (BTW wasn't hoover the one that simply let things be? And didnt unemployment rise into the 15 and 20 percents?)
The car companies(at least GM) are finally showing promise as of about yesterday, so it might be a bad idea to meddle with all of that now. Besides, i've seen a number of videos where republican talk-show hosts presented either a completely false number or one that was heavily construed, so i'd take those ideas about the Union contracts with a heavy grain of salt. 
You are probably right about GM had it filed a number of years ago, but unfortunately that isnt the scenario. Obama can't turn back the clock and tell Sloan to do what he should have done. He can only deal with whats going on right now. We have yet to see whether or not his strategy will eventually work, but the fact that GM is beating forecasts is a good sign. 
I will allow that the economy could possibly fix itself if we just left it alone, but I'd rather see my politicans trying to do something, and I dont want people to be left out in the cold because the government decided to "stay out of it".
"
Hoover was pro government intervention, and this was a major departure from his predecessors Harding and Coolidge.  He ordered state Governors to continue with public projects, despite the slackened cash flow.  And also requested that companies continue to pay their workesr the same wage and to not cut spending/jobs.  This ultimately strangled these businesses profits and eventually led them to close down.  Also, Hoover passed the Smoot-Hawley Tariff which vitually choked international trade, it was a move designed to protect America's domestic industry but it didnt work out as it used to in the early 1800s; basically, tariffs were set so high that the US lost all their foreign trade and severly weakend their domestic production.

GM may be showing progress, but really they'll always walk with a limp under the conditions they're operating under.  The government could continue to subsidize these companies, but it cant fix anything unless it takes direct control, which is tyrannical in its own right.  The unions are the problem with the American auto industry.  Now I'm not going to argue against the unions (as I said its another discussion) as it also is GMs own fault for accepting the union contract in the first place.  GM could correct that mistake by reorganizing the company, but if they continue to seek Government support then all its doing is prolonging the inevitable.

The Government Welfare system is broken, even though the service provided is great; its so great that some people decide against finding a new job since the welfare checks pay for their needs.

The welfare system needs to be privatized.  A great example of a private welfare organization is the Salvation Army.  The Salvation Army has been around since the mid 1800s and spends billions of dollars a year helping the homeless get food/shelter, and helps the unemployed find jobs.  They're run entirely off donations, and I prefer donation to a mandatory tax. They give roughly 84 cents of every dollar donated to programs to help the needy, compared to rougly 50 cents for every dollar recieved in the government welfare program.  And the Salvation Army is not alone, there are plenty of other religious and non-religious charities out there as well.  The advantage to these is that the services it provides are run as a business, and instead of giving a bum a check every month to live on they promote finding employment for these people, its a lot more efficient.

mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By mikevanpwn

lilburtonboy7489 said:

"mikevanpwn said:
ZOMG, i made a post on that a few weeks ago and no one believed it or had heard of it. Nice to know someone else knows a little something about economic history. "
Awesome! It seriously gets no coverage in the school history textbooks.
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea, it gets no love from history books.

I find that odd, considering aggregate production decreased by 20% in a matter of months.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#165  Edited By AndrewGaspar
Keyser_Soze said:
"The man supports more war, which take that as you want, I don't want a discussion of whether war is good or bad, but the fact is, it is one of the biggest fucking drains on the economy. "
Not true. World War I was the main factor that allowed for the economic prosperity of the 20's because of all of the goods that were exported to Europe. World War II pretty much ended the Great Depression. Jobs were created improving infrastructure and building materials for war.

It's the war economy, man.

But yeah, that still does not justify war. However, war does undeniably stimulate the economy in many instances.
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

War is a drain on the economy. Saying war is good for the economy commits the broken window fallacy. The prosperity of the 20's came from an expansion of credit which lead to the massive boom and eventually the bust of 1929.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By AgentJ
mikevanpwn said:
"AgentJ said:
"
The problem with letting the companies fail is that suddenly there are thousands of people without jobs. This country can't afford to support all of them with welfare checks. This is kind of the part where I found out the other guy was an anarchist, and he essentially said to screw those people and let them die. I doubt you would feel the same way, so I want to know how you would get those people new jobs.  (BTW wasn't hoover the one that simply let things be? And didnt unemployment rise into the 15 and 20 percents?)
"
Hoover was pro government intervention, and this was a major departure from his predecessors Harding and Coolidge.  He ordered state Governors to continue with public projects, despite the slackened cash flow.  And also requested that companies continue to pay their workesr the same wage and to not cut spending/jobs.  This ultimately strangled these businesses profits and eventually led them to close down.  Also, Hoover passed the Smoot-Hawley Tariff which vitually choked international trade, it was a move designed to protect America's domestic industry but it didnt work out as it used to in the early 1800s; basically, tariffs were set so high that the US lost all their foreign trade and severly weakend their domestic production.GM may be showing progress, but really they'll always walk with a limp under the conditions they're operating under.  The government could continue to subsidize these companies, but it cant fix anything unless it takes direct control, which is tyrannical in its own right.  The unions are the problem with the American auto industry.  Now I'm not going to argue against the unions (as I said its another discussion) as it also is GMs own fault for accepting the union contract in the first place.  GM could correct that mistake by reorganizing the company, but if they continue to seek Government support then all its doing is prolonging the inevitable.The Government Welfare system is broken, even though the service provided is great; its so great that some people decide against finding a new job since the welfare checks pay for their needs.The welfare system needs to be privatized.  A great example of a private welfare organization is the Salvation Army.  The Salvation Army has been around since the mid 1800s and spends billions of dollars a year helping the homeless get food/shelter, and helps the unemployed find jobs.  They're run entirely off donations, and I prefer donation to a mandatory tax. They give roughly 84 cents of every dollar donated to programs to help the needy, compared to rougly 50 cents for every dollar recieved in the government welfare program.  And the Salvation Army is not alone, there are plenty of other religious and non-religious charities out there as well.  The advantage to these is that the services it provides are run as a business, and instead of giving a bum a check every month to live on they promote finding employment for these people, its a lot more efficient."
President Hoover insisted that the economy was sound and that prosperity would soon return. 
Sounds to me like Hoover was pretty much keeping his ass out of things. Sounds to me like those public works projects were too little, too late, and of course cutting off foreign trade with the tariffs was a horrible idea. 
GM was doing so badly over the last few years that I highly doubt that getting rid of Union contracts would have done enough to keep the company afloat. those contracts were a drop in a bucket. 
And amazingly in the very same story, I found this, related to privatizing welfare. People aren't going to give enough to support the jobless, especially in tough times where the money is really needed. 
mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By mikevanpwn
AgentJ said:
"mikevanpwn said:
"AgentJ said:
"
"
Hoover was pro government intervention, and this was a major departure from his predecessors Harding and Coolidge.  He ordered state Governors to continue with public projects, despite the slackened cash flow.  And also requested that companies continue to pay their workesr the same wage and to not cut spending/jobs.  This ultimately strangled these businesses profits and eventually led them to close down.  Also, Hoover passed the Smoot-Hawley Tariff which vitually choked international trade, it was a move designed to protect America's domestic industry but it didnt work out as it used to in the early 1800s; basically, tariffs were set so high that the US lost all their foreign trade and severly weakend their domestic production.GM may be showing progress, but really they'll always walk with a limp under the conditions they're operating under.  The government could continue to subsidize these companies, but it cant fix anything unless it takes direct control, which is tyrannical in its own right.  The unions are the problem with the American auto industry.  Now I'm not going to argue against the unions (as I said its another discussion) as it also is GMs own fault for accepting the union contract in the first place.  GM could correct that mistake by reorganizing the company, but if they continue to seek Government support then all its doing is prolonging the inevitable.The Government Welfare system is broken, even though the service provided is great; its so great that some people decide against finding a new job since the welfare checks pay for their needs.The welfare system needs to be privatized.  A great example of a private welfare organization is the Salvation Army.  The Salvation Army has been around since the mid 1800s and spends billions of dollars a year helping the homeless get food/shelter, and helps the unemployed find jobs.  They're run entirely off donations, and I prefer donation to a mandatory tax. They give roughly 84 cents of every dollar donated to programs to help the needy, compared to rougly 50 cents for every dollar recieved in the government welfare program.  And the Salvation Army is not alone, there are plenty of other religious and non-religious charities out there as well.  The advantage to these is that the services it provides are run as a business, and instead of giving a bum a check every month to live on they promote finding employment for these people, its a lot more efficient."
President Hoover insisted that the economy was sound and that prosperity would soon return. 
Sounds to me like Hoover was pretty much keeping his ass out of things. Sounds to me like those public works projects were too little, too late, and of course cutting off foreign trade with the tariffs was a horrible idea. 
GM was doing so badly over the last few years that I highly doubt that getting rid of Union contracts would have done enough to keep the company afloat. those contracts were a drop in a bucket. 
And amazingly in the very same story, I found this, related to privatizing welfare. People aren't going to give enough to support the jobless, especially in tough times where the money is really needed. 
"
Its not like the welfare system we currently have is fine and dandy, and also, let me add that I would only support private charity if the government let the economy go unregulated.  It goes back to Adam Smith's theory of the invisible hand, if the government kept their hands out of the market then we wouldn't be having these large depressions, as an invisible hand would guide the market. And as I said, this worked in during the 1920's there was rise and fall in the economy through the whole 20s; nothing ever crashed until stock traders started getting out of hand and taking risks by buying and selling stock with money they did not have. 

And Hoover definitely didn't keep his hands hands to himself, MSN Encarta is pretty brief in the history, and is ineffective on explaining the situation.

Hoover wrote on the crisis after his presidency, "The primary question, at once arose as to whether the President and the federal government should undertake to mitigate and to remedy the evils. . . . [Yes], we had to pioneer a new field."  He believed that the economy had to be regulated, and as I stated he did so by pushing and expanding public projects (Including building the Hoover Dam), by signing into law the high tariffs that damaged the economy, and by campaigning for companies to keep their production, jobs and wages up as they had been before the recession.

If Hoover had kept out of the market's business the recession wouldn't have lasted that long.  However, government intervention made matters worse and basically locked the economy into a free fall that would take almost a decade to recover from.  So of course private charity was overwhelmed in this situation, but if had the government not been pushing the economies buttons then they wouldn't have had so many people out of work!

As I said, I'd only support private welfare if I could trust the economy, and I cant trust it with the government being so hands on with the market.  I left out this further suggestion for fear of making the last explanation of private welfare to wordy, but it fits in the conversation now.  But some states have looked into supplementing their  government welfare with private welfare.  I would much rather support private run welfare that is subsidized by the government than government welfare on its own.  We would still have to pay some welfare taxes if the charity was unable to meet the need in donations, but it would be decidedly less as the organization thats subsidized by the government would still be getting the majority of its funds from donations.  I mean basically thats what goes on today, we pay more taxes to pay for the government welfare, but yet thousands upon thousands of donations still stream into private charities.  Ideally welfare could be run on its own, but in extreme circumstances of economic catastrophe the government could pump funds into the private welfare groups.  Then again, we wouldn't have an economic catastrophe if the government didn't get involved in the first place.

Take a look at any recession in America's history a recession is always following a political action.  The government has this idea that they can regulate the economy but they have no business in doing so!  America became the leader of the Industrial Revoultion because they were free to do as they pleased, we didnt get into any real economic trouble until the government thought it was a good idea to start poking at the market in the 1930s.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By AgentJ
mikevanpwn said:
Its not like the welfare system we currently have is fine and dandy, and also, let me add that I would only support private charity if the government let the economy go unregulated.  It goes back to Adam Smith's theory of the invisible hand, if the government kept their hands out of the market then we wouldn't be having these large depressions, as an invisible hand would guide the market. And as I said, this worked in during the 1920's there was rise and fall in the economy through the whole 20s; nothing ever crashed until stock traders started getting out of hand and taking risks by buying and selling stock with money they did not have. 

And Hoover definitely didn't keep his hands hands to himself, MSN Encarta is pretty brief in the history, and is ineffective on explaining the situation.

Hoover wrote on the crisis after his presidency, "The primary question, at once arose as to whether the President and the federal government should undertake to mitigate and to remedy the evils. . . . [Yes], we had to pioneer a new field."  He believed that the economy had to be regulated, and as I stated he did so by pushing and expanding public projects (Including building the Hoover Dam), by signing into law the high tariffs that damaged the economy, and by campaigning for companies to keep their production, jobs and wages up as they had been before the recession.

If Hoover had kept out of the market's business the recession wouldn't have lasted that long.  However, government intervention made matters worse and basically locked the economy into a free fall that would take almost a decade to recover from.  So of course private charity was overwhelmed in this situation, but if had the government not been pushing the economies buttons then they wouldn't have had so many people out of work!

As I said, I'd only support private welfare if I could trust the economy, and I cant trust it with the government being so hands on with the market.  I left out this further suggestion for fear of making the last explanation of private welfare to wordy, but it fits in the conversation now.  But some states have looked into supplementing their  government welfare with private welfare.  I would much rather support private run welfare that is subsidized by the government than government welfare on its own.  We would still have to pay some welfare taxes if the charity was unable to meet the need in donations, but it would be decidedly less as the organization thats subsidized by the government would still be getting the majority of its funds from donations.  I mean basically thats what goes on today, we pay more taxes to pay for the government welfare, but yet thousands upon thousands of donations still stream into private charities.  Ideally welfare could be run on its own, but in extreme circumstances of economic catastrophe the government could pump funds into the private welfare groups.  Then again, we wouldn't have an economic catastrophe if the government didn't get involved in the first place.

Take a look at any recession in America's history a recession is always following a political action.  The government has this idea that they can regulate the economy but they have no business in doing so!  America became the leader of the Industrial Revoultion because they were free to do as they pleased, we didnt get into any real economic trouble until the government thought it was a good idea to start poking at the market in the 1930s.
"
I dont think I would trust many people in the industry as far as i can throw them, so to let the industry guide itself seems completely unreasonable to me. However, in a perfect world, without greed and corruption, perhaps that would be the way to go. Like you said, it was the stock traders that ruined everything in the 20s, and it was the banks and lenders that caused it now. I can't see how regulating these industries to the point they were between 1940 and 1990 would be a bad thing(clinton repealed many of the regulations put in place to prevent another depression and look what happened). 
While the tariffs were a horrible idea, where would America be without the Hoover Dam? That dam not only supplies a huge amount of electricity to southern california, arizona, and nevada, but supplies all of Nevadas water. Las Vegas probably wouldn't exist today. This country needs more public-works projects, especially now that all of the 1940s infrastructure is falling apart (see the st.paul bridge collapse).
The idea that the "meddling" of the presidents back then is just that: an idea. I know you dont like it when people bring up Jon Stewart, but he had a great interview with an author of a  book about the whole depression. Wish i could find it right now. 
So now i wonder, hypotheticly, what would happen in your world of no welfare taxes when a depression hits despite the lack of regulation? For example, the depression after 9/11 wasn't caused by greedy investors, but thousands of people, most notably in the airline buisness, were put out of work. The sudden influx would be too much for charities to handle. Do you just let them live on the street or die? How about the Katrina victims not covered by their insurance? I think supplementation might work, but theres no way that relying on private money would ever work. most food banks and charities were struggling even before this economic disaster
Wait, what political action, other than Clinton deregulating the industry, did this latest depression follow?
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#170  Edited By Snipzor

Do you know what I don't get? All these libertarians who think government (People) will always be corrupt yet companies and industries (Also people) are never corrupt and will never do illegitimate actions that will profit them and screw people.

mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By mikevanpwn
AgentJ said:
"mikevanpwn said:

"
I dont think I would trust many people in the industry as far as i can throw them, so to let the industry guide itself seems completely unreasonable to me. However, in a perfect world, without greed and corruption, perhaps that would be the way to go. Like you said, it was the stock traders that ruined everything in the 20s, and it was the banks and lenders that caused it now. I can't see how regulating these industries to the point they were between 1940 and 1990 would be a bad thing(clinton repealed many of the regulations put in place to prevent another depression and look what happened). 
While the tariffs were a horrible idea, where would America be without the Hoover Dam? That dam not only supplies a huge amount of electricity to southern california, arizona, and nevada, but supplies all of Nevadas water. Las Vegas probably wouldn't exist today. This country needs more public-works projects, especially now that all of the 1940s infrastructure is falling apart (see the st.paul bridge collapse).
The idea that the "meddling" of the presidents back then is just that: an idea. I know you dont like it when people bring up Jon Stewart, but he had a great interview with an author of a  book about the whole depression. Wish i could find it right now. 
So now i wonder, hypotheticly, what would happen in your world of no welfare taxes when a depression hits despite the lack of regulation? For example, the depression after 9/11 wasn't caused by greedy investors, but thousands of people, most notably in the airline buisness, were put out of work. The sudden influx would be too much for charities to handle. Do you just let them live on the street or die? How about the Katrina victims not covered by their insurance? I think supplementation might work, but theres no way that relying on private money would ever work. most food banks and charities were struggling even before this economic disaster
Wait, what political action, other than Clinton deregulating the industry, did this latest depression follow?
"
You wouldn't trust the many people in the industry, so you prefer to trust the few in the government?   What needs to be realized is that you cant trust the industry today because its the federal government who's meddling with it in the first place.  No one runs the economy when the federal government isn't involved, it runs itself, as Adam Smith explained, the invisible hand in the market would guide it.  The consumer and entrepreneur would balance each other out if the government wasn't constantly tipping the scale. 

The public works argument is irrelevant to this conversation, I'm not trying to skip the topic, but using public works for employment during a recession is only a temporary fix.  The government could spend as much money as they wanted but eventually they'd run out of things to do around the country, then you'd have a nice country with a great infrastructure, but also a large bill and no jobs for these guys to boot.  There is a time and place for public work projects but its not an answer to unemployment in a recession.

As for private charities, at certain times their resources would be insufficient, but its no different then it is now.  Private charities would call for more support and donations, which usually happen after a disaster; under the government welfare system they never run short of resources because all they have to do is simply tax the resources of the population to compensate.  Disasters like 9/11 and Katrina are unavoidable and someone will always have to pay, thats a fact of life.

And yes, the current recession is the result of political action, back when the government encouraged lending companies to give people loans who weren't approved under normal circumstances.  This created the housing bubble, and as you saw that housing prices rose greatly in last 10 years and peaked in 2007, from there the unpaid loans went unpaid because of the people who couldn't afford them in the first place... well... couldn't afford them now either.  As a result these companies crash and the government comes out to the companies who lent the money in the first place and says "no take some money so you can stay in business" and who's paying the bill?  The taxpayers, the ones who should be in control of the economy in the first place.  People who cant afford houses, cant afford houses, its not my responsibility or yours to pay for it, we are paying for it regardless.  Its the companies fault for heeding the governments request by allowing these loans, much like how it was the companies fault for following Hoover's requests.  As a result they both fell, they shouldn't have let the government get involved, nor should they try to be saved, its bad for business.

A depression wouldn't hit if there was a lack of regulation, government involvement creates unnatural changes in the market to tip it off balance.  Recessions are bound to happen in every growing economy its only natural, but there wouldn't be any depressions unless the balance between the consumer/provider is disturbed, which now happens daily via the federal government.
Kr3lian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Kr3lian
BoG said:
"Kr3lian said:
Let's generalize, shall we? I've met tons of old people who think the New Deal awful, and also lived through it. My grandparents rather dislike FDR.
I'm also curious if you've ever read Ayn Rand. Whether or not you agree with her, she makes some valid points in her books, and her ideas are very thought provoking.
"

I wasn't trying to generalize, I just think it is interesting that there is this whole "teh Noo Deal was CRAP!" meme popping up from people who really have no effing clue.

And yes, I have read Ayn Rand.  Sorry Bro, but if you think there is something worth extracting from that, you probably also think the Halo books are Pulitzer worthy.  Anyone with a serious philosophy cred regards Rand as uninteresting and unmoving, even if they are pro-laissez faire.  And her economic ideas are substantially less refined and developed than Adam Smith's, who came by and gave that shtick in an actual mature fashion a good century and a half prior (and he even addressed caveats, which Rand doesn't believe can exist, let alone acknowledge).

Ayn Rand is for frat boys and others that don't like to read much.  They are popular books, and they sound real smart-like to those who don't know any better.  Unfortunately, they convince a lot of people who would be far better off reading *real* economic theory...except that stuff is so complicated with the maths and all.  Why not just read Ayn Rand?!  She talks about trains and love stories and brilliant people!  Pshh.  She needed a damn editor, and a lesson in how to not be cliche.
mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By mikevanpwn
Snipzor said:
"Do you know what I don't get? All these libertarians who think government (People) will always be corrupt yet companies and industries (Also people) are never corrupt and will never do illegitimate actions that will profit them and screw people."
No that's not it at all.  I don't think the government is corrupt, but it mishandles the economy.  The marketplace itself is made up of millions and millions of people and it operates as a republic, everyone is involved in the shaping of the economy.  Most businessmen are not corrupt, and the few that are cant do any real damage as long as there are millions of people who continually operate in the market.  The economy will work in the same way no matter if there is a government watching it or not, all the federal government does is sit on top of it all and tries to regulate it.  That's why people bring up corruption, because a little corruption in a population filled with people with good intentions is harmless, but if corruption is able to take its seat in the federal government, well then we have problems, as the few in the federal government regulates the whole market.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Snipzor
mikevanpwn said:
"No that's not it at all.  I don't think the government is corrupt, but it mishandles the economy.  The marketplace itself is made up of millions and millions of people and it operates as a republic, everyone is involved in the shaping of the economy.  Most businessmen are not corrupt, and the few that are cant do any real damage as long as there are millions of people who continually operate in the market.  The economy will work in the same way no matter if there is a government watching it or not, all the federal government does is sit on top of it all and tries to regulate it.  That's why people bring up corruption, because a little corruption in a population filled with people with good intentions is harmless, but if corruption is able to take its seat in the federal government, well then we have problems, as the few in the federal government regulates the whole market."
That sure helped with Enron and Ethyl Corporation and all those banks. Oh wait, no, those happened BECAUSE of regulation.

You know this position is invalid when Canada is one of the few countries in the western world that has come out much better than any other, even with serious regulation. Is there a libertarian reason for that, or is this going to be another ignored example?
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By AgentJ
mikevanpwn said:
"AgentJ said:
"mikevanpwn said:

"
"
You wouldn't trust the many people in the industry, so you prefer to trust the few in the government?   What needs to be realized is that you cant trust the industry today because its the federal government who's meddling with it in the first place.  No one runs the economy when the federal government isn't involved, it runs itself, as Adam Smith explained, the invisible hand in the market would guide it.  The consumer and entrepreneur would balance each other out if the government wasn't constantly tipping the scale.  The public works argument is irrelevant to this conversation, I'm not trying to skip the topic, but using public works for employment during a recession is only a temporary fix.  The government could spend as much money as they wanted but eventually they'd run out of things to do around the country, then you'd have a nice country with a great infrastructure, but also a large bill and no jobs for these guys to boot.  There is a time and place for public work projects but its not an answer to unemployment in a recession.As for private charities, at certain times their resources would be insufficient, but its no different then it is now.  Private charities would call for more support and donations, which usually happen after a disaster; under the government welfare system they never run short of resources because all they have to do is simply tax the resources of the population to compensate.  Disasters like 9/11 and Katrina are unavoidable and someone will always have to pay, thats a fact of life.And yes, the current recession is the result of political action, back when the government encouraged lending companies to give people loans who weren't approved under normal circumstances.  This created the housing bubble, and as you saw that housing prices rose greatly in last 10 years and peaked in 2007, from there the unpaid loans went unpaid because of the people who couldn't afford them in the first place... well... couldn't afford them now either.  As a result these companies crash and the government comes out to the companies who lent the money in the first place and says "no take some money so you can stay in business" and who's paying the bill?  The taxpayers, the ones who should be in control of the economy in the first place.  People who cant afford houses, cant afford houses, its not my responsibility or yours to pay for it, we are paying for it regardless.  Its the companies fault for heeding the governments request by allowing these loans, much like how it was the companies fault for following Hoover's requests.  As a result they both fell, they shouldn't have let the government get involved, nor should they try to be saved, its bad for business.A depression wouldn't hit if there was a lack of regulation, government involvement creates unnatural changes in the market to tip it off balance.  Recessions are bound to happen in every growing economy its only natural, but there wouldn't be any depressions unless the balance between the consumer/provider is disturbed, which now happens daily via the federal government."
Ugh, this is all getting way too long...
The thing is, I elected the people in the government. Who elected the stock holders? Who elected the CEOs? Im able to elect someone that i dont think will fuck me over at the first chance, but I cant choose who gets to run Bear Sterns. Also, most politicians(not the lobbists) are not biased by the best interest of their company. When they are, you get someone like cheney who sends no-bid contracts to halliburton.  So yes, i would trust the few politicians. 
And the economy wouldnt have fallen to shit had those investors not played with those loans, which, until Clinton changed things, was regulated. You say that Bush "encouraged" the loans, but you dont think they would have happened anyway? people will do anything to get ahead, especially buisnessmen. This sort of thing didnt happen between the great depression and now because there was regulation preventing it from happening. 
The public works have to happen sometime. Seems like people dont work on infrastructure until it's too late (see Minnesota bridge, New Orleans levies). Now is the time to put the unemployed to work on all of these necessairy projects, and maybe a few unnecessairy ones that make life easier. More workers means more taxes payed to the government, which means more buisnesses, which means more new jobs for those previously unemployed people. seems simple to me. I find it funny that you are reiterating another fox news talking point (those jobs aren't temporary)
As it is the Government mandates welfare checks, which is what the majority of the poor or homeless use to get by. People only pay welfare tax because it is mandatory. What happens when they dont have to pay it anymore? You think that the vast majority of people will still pay it? I doubt it. WIthout Welfare, the charities would never be able to help the number of people in need. It just wouldn't happen.
You should go back to the second paragraph of my reply if you want a reply to your part about the loans. The reasons the taxpayers are holding these companies up is so that the people working for them still have jobs. It'd be a nightmare if all of those people with ford, gm, and crystler, along with all their suppliers, suddenly didnt have jobs in this climate. There are no jobs as it is. It would be an unmitigated disaster. 
Again, this recession/depression happened because regulation was taken away. It was only a matter of time.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By AgentJ
Snipzor said:
"mikevanpwn said:
"No that's not it at all.  I don't think the government is corrupt, but it mishandles the economy.  The marketplace itself is made up of millions and millions of people and it operates as a republic, everyone is involved in the shaping of the economy.  Most businessmen are not corrupt, and the few that are cant do any real damage as long as there are millions of people who continually operate in the market.  The economy will work in the same way no matter if there is a government watching it or not, all the federal government does is sit on top of it all and tries to regulate it.  That's why people bring up corruption, because a little corruption in a population filled with people with good intentions is harmless, but if corruption is able to take its seat in the federal government, well then we have problems, as the few in the federal government regulates the whole market."
That sure helped with Enron and Ethyl Corporation and all those banks. Oh wait, no, those happened BECAUSE of regulation.You know this position is invalid when Canada is one of the few countries in the western world that has come out much better than any other, even with serious regulation. Is there a libertarian reason for that, or is this going to be another ignored example?"
Mm hmm. How about the CEOs of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac? Was it regulations fault that they used the buisness model that they did?
mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By mikevanpwn
AgentJ said:
"Ugh, this is all getting way too long...
The thing is, I elected the people in the government. Who elected the stock holders? Who elected the CEOs? Im able to elect someone that i dont think will fuck me over at the first chance, but I cant choose who gets to run Bear Sterns. Also, most politicians(not the lobbists) are not biased by the best interest of their company. When they are, you get someone like cheney who sends no-bid contracts to halliburton.  So yes, i would trust the few politicians. 
And the economy wouldnt have fallen to shit had those investors not played with those loans, which, until Clinton changed things, was regulated. You say that Bush "encouraged" the loans, but you dont think they would have happened anyway? people will do anything to get ahead, especially buisnessmen. This sort of thing didnt happen between the great depression and now because there was regulation preventing it from happening. 
The public works have to happen sometime. Seems like people dont work on infrastructure until it's too late (see Minnesota bridge, New Orleans levies). Now is the time to put the unemployed to work on all of these necessairy projects, and maybe a few unnecessairy ones that make life easier. More workers means more taxes payed to the government, which means more buisnesses, which means more new jobs for those previously unemployed people. seems simple to me. I find it funny that you are reiterating another fox news talking point (those jobs aren't temporary)
As it is the Government mandates welfare checks, which is what the majority of the poor or homeless use to get by. People only pay welfare tax because it is mandatory. What happens when they dont have to pay it anymore? You think that the vast majority of people will still pay it? I doubt it. WIthout Welfare, the charities would never be able to help the number of people in need. It just wouldn't happen.
You should go back to the second paragraph of my reply if you want a reply to your part about the loans. The reasons the taxpayers are holding these companies up is so that the people working for them still have jobs. It'd be a nightmare if all of those people with ford, gm, and crystler, along with all their suppliers, suddenly didnt have jobs in this climate. There are no jobs as it is. It would be an unmitigated disaster. 
Again, this recession/depression happened because regulation was taken away. It was only a matter of time.
"
I think we've pretty much reached the point where we cant argue any longer.  You have a general distrust for the private sector, I have a general distrust for the federal government.  You don't appear to be a communist who wants the federal government to own our lives, and I'm not an anarchist that wants to overthrow the government.  So the good thing we've established is that we're not extremists, but somewhere closer to the middle.  But any further attempt to argue these points will be in vain because the discussion has gotten so specific that arguing with our own perspectives isn't going to amount to anything.  Do you agree?

Snipzor said:
"mikevanpwn said:
That sure helped with Enron and Ethyl Corporation and all those banks. Oh wait, no, those happened BECAUSE of regulation.You know this position is invalid when Canada is one of the few countries in the western world that has come out much better than any other, even with serious regulation. Is there a libertarian reason for that, or is this going to be another ignored example?"
Snipzor, to be honest, I cant debate Enron/Ethyl, I don't know enough of those topics to argue them, nor do I know the relationship the Canadian government has with its economy.  Although I would think that Canada's economy would be easier for the government to regulate due to the size of its GDP in comparisons to the US, and that it not being one of the top economical leaders of the world, but I dont know.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By AgentJ
mikevanpwn said:
"AgentJ said:
"Ugh, this is all getting way too long...
"
I think we've pretty much reached the point where we cant argue any longer.  You have a general distrust for the private sector, I have a general distrust for the federal government.  You don't appear to be a communist who wants the federal government to own our lives, and I'm not an anarchist that wants to overthrow the government.  So the good thing we've established is that we're not extremists, but somewhere closer to the middle.  But any further attempt to argue these points will be in vain because the discussion has gotten so specific that arguing with our own perspectives isn't going to amount to anything.  Do you agree?

Snipzor said:
"mikevanpwn said:
Snipzor, to be honest, I cant debate Enron/Ethyl, I don't know enough of those topics to argue them, nor do I know the relationship the Canadian government has with its economy.  Although I would think that Canada's economy would be easier for the government to regulate due to the size of its GDP in comparisons to the US, and that it not being one of the top economical leaders of the world, but I dont know."
I kind of expected you to throw in the towel after that post, but you are right. We aren't likely to agree on anything, and frankly im tired of having to comment on this topic every time you do, so nows as good a time as any to stop. BTW Canada is infact one of the economical leaders in the world...
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Snipzor
mikevanpwn said:
Snipzor said:
Snipzor, to be honest, I cant debate Enron/Ethyl, I don't know enough of those topics to argue them, nor do I know the relationship the Canadian government has with its economy.  Although I would think that Canada's economy would be easier for the government to regulate due to the size of its GDP in comparisons to the US, and that it not being one of the top economical leaders of the world, but I dont know."
Well let me explain the Ethyl Corporation story. The Ethyl Corporation was discovered to have poisoned products which contributed to environmental issues as well as certain health standard violations. Now the FDA did not find this, but rather a Canadian source found it and the Canadian government published the findings as well as banning their products from the country. Funny thing is that it is apparently it is not illegal to do such a thing, and they [Ethyl Corporation] sued the government.

And yes, this is just an informative post.
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#180  Edited By BoG
Kr3lian said:
"BoG said:
"Kr3lian said:
"
I wasn't trying to generalize, I just think it is interesting that there is this whole "teh Noo Deal was CRAP!" meme popping up from people who really have no effing clue.And yes, I have read Ayn Rand.  Sorry Bro, but if you think there is something worth extracting from that, you probably also think the Halo books are Pulitzer worthy.  Anyone with a serious philosophy cred regards Rand as uninteresting and unmoving, even if they are pro-laissez faire.  And her economic ideas are substantially less refined and developed than Adam Smith's, who came by and gave that shtick in an actual mature fashion a good century and a half prior (and he even addressed caveats, which Rand doesn't believe can exist, let alone acknowledge).Ayn Rand is for frat boys and others that don't like to read much.  They are popular books, and they sound real smart-like to those who don't know any better.  Unfortunately, they convince a lot of people who would be far better off reading *real* economic theory...except that stuff is so complicated with the maths and all.  Why not just read Ayn Rand?!  She talks about trains and love stories and brilliant people!  Pshh.  She needed a damn editor, and a lesson in how to not be cliche."
Well, she did need an editor, I'll give you that much.
mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By mikevanpwn
AgentJ said:
"I kind of expected you to throw in the towel after that post, but you are right. We aren't likely to agree on anything, and frankly im tired of having to comment on this topic every time you do, so nows as good a time as any to stop. BTW Canada is infact one of the economical leaders in the world..."
Oh please, trying to claim victory after we've ground this conversation down to next to nothing, and after dropping hints about its unwelcome longevity.   We both realize that we've already posted our answers to relative topics, and that all we'd be doing is repeating ourselves; I had expected a more virtuous reply.

Snipzor said:
Well let me explain the Ethyl Corporation story. The Ethyl Corporation was discovered to have poisoned products which contributed to environmental issues as well as certain health standard violations. Now the FDA did not find this, but rather a Canadian source found it and the Canadian government published the findings as well as banning their products from the country. Funny thing is that it is apparently it is not illegal to do such a thing, and they [Ethyl Corporation] sued the government.And yes, this is just an informative post."
Thank you for the information, I wasn't familiar with the story.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By AgentJ
mikevanpwn said:
"AgentJ said:
"I kind of expected you to throw in the towel after that post, but you are right. We aren't likely to agree on anything, and frankly im tired of having to comment on this topic every time you do, so nows as good a time as any to stop. BTW Canada is infact one of the economical leaders in the world..."
Oh please, trying to claim victory after we've ground this conversation down to next to nothing, and after dropping hints about its unwelcome longevity.   We both realize that we've already posted our answers to relative topics, and that all we'd be doing is repeating ourselves; I had expected a more virtuous reply.

Snipzor said:
Well let me explain the Ethyl Corporation story. The Ethyl Corporation was discovered to have poisoned products which contributed to environmental issues as well as certain health standard violations. Now the FDA did not find this, but rather a Canadian source found it and the Canadian government published the findings as well as banning their products from the country. Funny thing is that it is apparently it is not illegal to do such a thing, and they [Ethyl Corporation] sued the government.And yes, this is just an informative post."
Thank you for the information, I wasn't familiar with the story."
My bad, but I was honestly kind of dissapointed. I felt that my last post was particularly strong. But you are right, it's time for this to end. My post count is always horribly inflated by these political arguements.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be awesome to pass out psychedelic tea at one of these places.
Hell, it doesn't even have to be some hardcore peyote shit, maybe just some kratom and see if these people would look at the world a a little bit different without the Fox fear machine herding them in and putting them a frenzy.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By TwoOneFive

i hated how republicans like Sean Hannity, fucking acted like it was their idea. This was a grassroots movement by Libertarians, and Ron Paul-esque republicans, not these neo-cons who basically jump the bandwagon on anything that goes against what the dems are doing. The neo-cons did the exact same thing for 8 years. 

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By AgentJ
TwoOneFive said:
"i hated how republicans like Sean Hannity, fucking acted like it was their idea. This was a grassroots movement by Libertarians, and Ron Paul-esque republicans, not these neo-cons who basically jump the bandwagon on anything that goes against what the dems are doing. The neo-cons did the exact same thing for 8 years. "
You are probably right, however the turnout and attention wouldn't have been even close. Then again, you wouldn't have attracted so many sheep either. They made the whole protest thing look like a total joke.
TomServo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#186  Edited By TomServo

I'm not going because It's full of racist fuck faces!!!! How about that!!!!

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Snipzor
TomServo said:
"I'm not going because It's full of racist fuck faces!!!! How about that!!!!"
*golf clap*
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#188  Edited By vidiot
mikevanpwn said:
"AgentJ said:
Virtuous? Were talking about ending a political debate on the internet right? You both did great. I don't see either of you throwing fecal matter at each other.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By AgentJ
vidiot said:
"mikevanpwn said:
"AgentJ said:
Virtuous? Were talking about ending a political debate on the internet right? You both did great. I don't see either of you throwing fecal matter at each other. "
Oh, right of course we didn't sling poo at eachother! What kind of self-respecting debater does that? *pulls hand away from ass and cleans hands thuroughly*
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By ninjakiller

Ok, i'm dragging this shit back up but for a good reason.  Some dipshit conservative radio talkshow host tried to make his bones by protesting Janeane Garofalo after she called teabaggers "racist rednecks."  Which isn't exactly right since it was mostly an astroturf job.

So anyway he tried to make his bones by calling for a massive protest of Garofalo where his listeners would show up and throw teabags at her during a comedy show.  The only problem is the only people who showed up was the dj and a camera man from fox news.  Yeah this is obviously a huge viable fucking grass roots movement!  This is Sam Seder ripping the poor lightweight to shreds later that week.

Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Jared

Glenn Beck is a fool, for most of that video he was just making jokes about Al Gore. Gotta love how this brain-washer did not even mention how it was between 2001-2008 when the TOTAL national debt DOUBLED...hmmm who was in office then (was that money even spent in this country?)? I truly feel sorry for people that only watch Fox News and are brainwashed by the Republican parties leaders that are Rush L., Glenn B, Sean H, and Bill O, the destruction that their party heavily caused in this country is horrible and they and their followers act like it never happened and somehow it's all Obama's fault now.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By ninjakiller

Don't tell that to Mikevanpwn.  It's a "bipartisan issue" and Obama's so-called record spending to try to stimulate a dead economy is reckless and foolish according to him.

lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AgentJ said:
"While I wouldn't believe anything that Glenn Beck says without hearing a rebuttel, I'll assume that he's showing the facts as they are for half a second here. Even if that is the case, even if somehow Bush's money printing didn't surpass anything that had ever been done before, we are in the middle of a unique crisis, and it will take unique solutions to get out of it. This country needs money to get out of debt. I am going to trust my president to get me and the rest of my country out of this situation. Besides, we still haven't hit the 100 day mark yet, and the amount of criticism being heaped on him is appaling for people who just a few months ago were criticizing others for not standing behind their president. 
People like Glenn Beck and all of the other "commentators" on Fox News give conservatives a bad name. It's kind of sad, because Beck used to be sane.
"
1) Bush's money printing DID surpass anything that has been done before. Even though it wasn't Bush's fault, it was the Federal Reserve, who the president has no control over. 

2) I wouldn't put so much trust in any man, especially a politician. 

3) Why should we stand behind someone who is obviously taking the wrong actions?

On a positive note, this is some of the best news I have heard in a long time. If Obama's administration ends the war on drugs, I (possibly the most anti-Obama person here) will gain tons and tons of respect for him. 
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AgentJ said:
"TwoOneFive said:
"i hated how republicans like Sean Hannity, fucking acted like it was their idea. This was a grassroots movement by Libertarians, and Ron Paul-esque republicans, not these neo-cons who basically jump the bandwagon on anything that goes against what the dems are doing. The neo-cons did the exact same thing for 8 years. "
You are probably right, however the turnout and attention wouldn't have been even close. Then again, you wouldn't have attracted so many sheep either. They made the whole protest thing look like a total joke.
"
I think it was in Vermont or something...some of these hardcore "protestors" had to call it off because they never got the proper government permit...

Protest fail.