#51 Posted by baconbits33 (1155 posts) -
@ryanwho: Refer to my old post..... That's not actually the confederate flag, it was the first one however they changed it to your so called "battle flag".... and I know this because I live in VA too, and I've lived in NC and TX. 
#52 Posted by mordukai (7196 posts) -
@Bombs_Away: Funny thing about this movie is that there were partisans groups going around europe offing nazis. I should know, my grandma was a part of such group. 
#53 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4610 posts) -

In the context of the class, it doesn't really seem like a big deal, because the point was to start dialogue about the subject. But when you're hanging it up in your office, or wearing it on your clothes, that can be different, because it's unclear why you're doing that. It's not like the swastika, which had a previous meaning. The Confederate Flag was the symbol for a movement that wished to divide the United States, maintain slavery, and was willing to fight a war over it. You can say it's a Southern Pride thing, but what does that even mean? It's not like an Irish or Scottish pride thing, because those places were conquered by England and the South had been part of the Original States.   
 
Of course, any reasonable argument for having the flag now mean something else is nullified by the fact that, at least in my experience as a Southerner, a majority of the people who do have it in their houses and on their clothes are, to use the common term, 'rednecks', who may or may not shout 'the south will rise again!' when they get excited. If you wear or hang the Confederate flag somewhere, you might not be a racist or a separatist, but there's a very good probability that you're woefully ignorant.

#54 Posted by Video_Game_King (36271 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
So if its "just about history", why would they hang the war flag instead of the national flag?
Well, they were never technically a nation; no country recognized them, and they never won their independence.
#55 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@baconbits33 said:

" @ryanwho: Refer to my old post..... That's not actually the confederate flag, it was the first one however they changed it to your so called "battle flag".... and I know this because I live in VA too, and I've lived in NC and TX.  "

I'm aware of the history. Folded over on a windless day it looked like the Union flag, so it was changed. At forts. Because walking into the enemy base would be slightly embarrassing. National currency still had the old flag on it, the new one was just for the sake of bases and forts. I think. My history teacher made this distinction, I'm not just guessing shit here. 
edit 
Nevermind, its the newer flag on the money. Apparently I'm remembering shit way wrong. I should stop guessing and google some shit.
#56 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -

Discussion about flags descends into Nazi-talk within a handful of posts.
Online
#57 Edited by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

No.

#58 Posted by eclipsesis (1242 posts) -
@turbomonkey138 said:
" Alot of jerks from the UK wear it on their Leather jackets at college ....even though they are from Bradford . It offends my sense of fashion lol "
I'm from right next door, Halifax. And yeah i have seen a couple of badges here and there, nothing to get upset about like.
#59 Posted by baconbits33 (1155 posts) -
@ryanwho: I know your not because that's what I was taught too, however I was also taught that because the need for fabric was so great in the south for their troops they didn't have enough to make flags out of to replace all the old flags. So they mainly just gave it to the military who needed it the most.
#60 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

I don't give a flying fuck about any flag.

#61 Posted by Vision (797 posts) -

No i'm not offended.. It's fucking cloth.

#62 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" I don't give a flying fuck about any flag. "
The Flying Fuck is a great name for a flag!
#63 Posted by LaszloKovacs (1240 posts) -
@MarkWahlberg said:
"... a majority of the people who do have it in their houses and on their clothes are, to use the common term, 'rednecks', who may or may not shout 'the south will rise again!' when they get excited. If you wear or hang the Confederate flag somewhere, you might not be a racist or a separatist, but there's a very good probability that you're woefully ignorant. "
This, pretty much. I live in upstate New York, so I never see it in towns, but out in farm country you'll see it surprisingly often. This perplexes me, since New York is not what most people would consider Southern.
 
I remember passing one house on the ski club bus ride every week in high school that had a pickup truck on blocks, an outhouse, and an enormous Confederate flag flying in the yard. I could never tell if someone actually lived there or if it was some sort of post-modern art installation.
#64 Posted by Rallier (1739 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" @Scooper said:
" I don't give a flying fuck about any flag. "
The Flying Fuck is a great name for a flag! "
Would look awesome too.

#65 Posted by Willy105 (4691 posts) -

What is offensive about the Confederacy?
 
Nobody I know is offended by it, but then again I live in the South.
 
The Confederacy is a very important part of the United States, because it shows what the Union is all about.

#66 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -
@ryanwho: You usually have borderline troll posts, but for once, you are the only person making sense.
 
It's a flag, people.  A flag.
#67 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -
@LaszloKovacs said:
" @MarkWahlberg said:
"... a majority of the people who do have it in their houses and on their clothes are, to use the common term, 'rednecks', who may or may not shout 'the south will rise again!' when they get excited. If you wear or hang the Confederate flag somewhere, you might not be a racist or a separatist, but there's a very good probability that you're woefully ignorant. "
This, pretty much. I live in upstate New York, so I never see it in towns, but out in farm country you'll see it surprisingly often. This perplexes me, since New York is not what most people would consider Southern.  I remember passing one house on the ski club bus ride every week in high school that had a pickup truck on blocks, an outhouse, and an enormous Confederate flag flying in the yard. I could never tell if someone actually lived there or if it was some sort of post-modern art installation. "
The KKK has its roots in New England.  So, there you go.
#68 Edited by junkie (187 posts) -

i live in london and someone has a confederate flag on their car on my road...just makes me think what a cock, but that's context.......  its probably fashion but to me its pretty sinister...

#69 Posted by Bombs_Away (1010 posts) -

The only flag that offends me is this one...
 

 
Let this discussion take an interesting turn!
#70 Posted by Six (613 posts) -

i live in tennessee, and around here most people just call it a "rebel flag"
it seems like the emphasis is on REBEL.   people like to feel like a rebel... blah blah blah. so it is their flag of choice.
the ones with more taste fly the "Don't Tread on Me" flag.

#71 Posted by chrissedoff (2178 posts) -

pff what kind of BABY is offended by the flag that symbolizes going to war to defend slavery. bunch of pussies right!?!?

#72 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -

GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH RESULT FOR 'CONFEDERATE FLAG'
Online
#73 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@Bombs_Away said:
" The only flag that offends me is this one...
 

  Let this discussion take an interesting turn! "
Doesn't work so well with the jew avatar.
#74 Posted by PenguinDoctor (293 posts) -

I'm not offended by the flag, but I am offended by the large number of people that still cling to it like it's a beacon of hope.  The south lost people, let the flag die like so many other things did.  It's annoying to see it so loved by southerners.
#75 Posted by LaszloKovacs (1240 posts) -
@HaltIamReptar said:
" @LaszloKovacs said:
" @MarkWahlberg said:
"... a majority of the people who do have it in their houses and on their clothes are, to use the common term, 'rednecks', who may or may not shout 'the south will rise again!' when they get excited. If you wear or hang the Confederate flag somewhere, you might not be a racist or a separatist, but there's a very good probability that you're woefully ignorant. "
This, pretty much. I live in upstate New York, so I never see it in towns, but out in farm country you'll see it surprisingly often. This perplexes me, since New York is not what most people would consider Southern.  I remember passing one house on the ski club bus ride every week in high school that had a pickup truck on blocks, an outhouse, and an enormous Confederate flag flying in the yard. I could never tell if someone actually lived there or if it was some sort of post-modern art installation. "
The KKK has its roots in New England.  So, there you go. "
Wait, really? The only thing Google turned up was something about them backing a candidate at the 1924 DNC in New York City. Then again, I don't really know what to look for.
#76 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

Yes, it symbolizes racism and bigotry.
 
It sickens me that in the south you are not taught of the Civil War, but the War of Northern Agression

#77 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -
@LaszloKovacs said:

" @HaltIamReptar said:

" @LaszloKovacs said:
" @MarkWahlberg said:
"... a majority of the people who do have it in their houses and on their clothes are, to use the common term, 'rednecks', who may or may not shout 'the south will rise again!' when they get excited. If you wear or hang the Confederate flag somewhere, you might not be a racist or a separatist, but there's a very good probability that you're woefully ignorant. "
This, pretty much. I live in upstate New York, so I never see it in towns, but out in farm country you'll see it surprisingly often. This perplexes me, since New York is not what most people would consider Southern.  I remember passing one house on the ski club bus ride every week in high school that had a pickup truck on blocks, an outhouse, and an enormous Confederate flag flying in the yard. I could never tell if someone actually lived there or if it was some sort of post-modern art installation. "
The KKK has its roots in New England.  So, there you go. "
Wait, really? The only thing Google turned up was something about them backing a candidate at the 1924 DNC in New York City. Then again, I don't really know what to look for. "
 Yeah man.
 
Well, I can't find anything on the internet to back me up, so I guess my APUSH teacher was a liar.  As the story goes, the KKK started as an anti-immigration group.
#78 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4779 posts) -

all the images shown here well most of them are tainted by the uses they have had, but their original forms weren't ment that way.
 
Confederate flags, swastika ...ect all had a purer original meanings and reasons for being.
 
Hell if any thing shouldn't we consider the original american flag a representation of slavery? since slavery existed and was fostered in this country under that flag and a few variations of that flag after?

#79 Posted by Bombs_Away (1010 posts) -
@HandsomeDead: 
Ironic isn't it? Maybe I like the avatar so much because Inglourious Basterds was an obvious attempt at depicting the Jews as almost Nazi themselves in their actions, vilifying them along with the Nazis maybe as an attempt to say "Hey, Hitler wasn't that bad. He was almost admirable, I mean he had a plan and by God he stuck to it. He's a role model!" What you say to that G?
#80 Posted by chrissedoff (2178 posts) -

the kkk didn't start in the north. what utter bollocks.

#81 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -

I'm from North Carolina, and my feelings vary on the subject.
 

 Not Offended


 Offended
#82 Posted by yinstarrunner (1247 posts) -
@Whisperkill: 
I live in Georgia, and we are definitely taught about the Civil War, not the "War of Northern Aggression."
 
Now who taught you that we are taught these things?
#83 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -
@yinstarrunner said:
" @Whisperkill:  I live in Georgia, and we are definitely taught about the Civil War, not the "War of Northern Aggression."  Now who taught you that we are taught these things? "
Yeah, I grew up in North Carolina and never heard that in any school curriculum.
#84 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -
@yinstarrunner: I have family that goes to college in the south. They can't stand it because everyone is a racist. They were taught it was the war of northern aggression.
#85 Posted by GreggD (4516 posts) -
@Rayfield said:
"
GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH RESULT FOR 'CONFEDERATE FLAG'
"
lol Racist or not, it's a thoroughly American image plastered onto a Japanese product. Oh, the irony.
#86 Posted by chrissedoff (2178 posts) -
@GreggD said:
" @Rayfield said:
"
GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH RESULT FOR 'CONFEDERATE FLAG'
"
lol Racist or not, it's a thoroughly American image plastered onto a Japanese product. Oh, the irony. "
that's not ironic in the slightest.
#87 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

I am not offended per se I don't think people should use it because it is offensive.  The reason I am not personally offended is because the people that I in general see wearing clothes with it or with it on their trucks are real "winners" so it mostly makes me laugh at them.

#88 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4779 posts) -
@Whisperkill said:
" @yinstarrunner: I have family that goes to college in the south. They can't stand it because everyone is a racist. They were taught it was the war of northern aggression. "
thats not proof thats you saying it so.
 
#89 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3720 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" It's a piece of cloth. "
and a cross is just two pieces of wood. 
Symbols only mean something because we assign meaning to them. 
The Confederate Flag represents a country and you can't just say it means nothing because it is made of cloth. 
I see no problem with hanging a Confederate Flag in a classroom. The Confederate States of America were not evil they just opposed the US government and did something about their beliefs, I can't think of anything more American than that.
#90 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -
@Claude said:
" I'm from North Carolina, and my feelings vary on the subject.
 Offended
"
You darn right I'm offended, a great coat ruined just like that. What a monster, I hope he rots.
#91 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -
@WilliamRLBaker: what is that even supposed to mean?
#92 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2419 posts) -

It was clearly for historical purposes, so, yes, that is pretty touchy for them to take it down, seeing as no students were offended by it.

#93 Posted by yinstarrunner (1247 posts) -
@Whisperkill: Weird. Lived here all my life, been all over the south, never once heard it referred to as The War of Northern Aggression, except in the context that it was called that by the Confederates during and after the Civil War.
#94 Posted by AgentofChaos (1565 posts) -

Not really. But I don't think states should hang it on state buildings.

#95 Posted by Hamst3r (4610 posts) -
Context.
 
Context is everything.
 
A confederate flag in a classroom while they're learning about the civil war: Perfectly acceptable.
 
It's relevant to what's being taught.
#96 Posted by Blair (2532 posts) -
@Bombs_Away said:
" @HandsomeDead:  Ironic isn't it? Maybe I like the avatar so much because Inglourious Basterds was an obvious attempt at depicting the Jews as almost Nazi themselves in their actions, vilifying them along with the Nazis maybe as an attempt to say "Hey, Hitler wasn't that bad. He was almost admirable, I mean he had a plan and by God he stuck to it. He's a role model!" What you say to that G? "
You're a fucking idiot if you think that. 
 
I hope for the sake of Giant Bomb you're trying to be funny.
#97 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -
@Snipzor:  Oh yeah, that's some horrible fashion. 
 
Remember the South Will Rise Again.
 

#98 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@Bombs_Away said:
" @HandsomeDead:  Ironic isn't it? Maybe I like the avatar so much because Inglourious Basterds was an obvious attempt at depicting the Jews as almost Nazi themselves in their actions, vilifying them along with the Nazis maybe as an attempt to say "Hey, Hitler wasn't that bad. He was almost admirable, I mean he had a plan and by God he stuck to it. He's a role model!" What you say to that G? "
To say it was obviously trying to make the Jews look bad seems to be missing the mark because Eli Roth, Lawrence Bender and near enough every other Jew who worked on that film seemed to take it so incredibly seriously that it seems clear that it is a 'Jewish revenge movie', at least on a meta level, making it the most morally bankrupt film in years. It was also shit film in its own right so that doesn't help.
#99 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4779 posts) -
@Whisperkill said:
" @WilliamRLBaker: what is that even supposed to mean? "
you said that the south disgusted you that they teach it as the war of northern aggreesion with no proof.
 
2 people corrected you both that live in the south that its not taught as that its not taught in any different way one asking where you'd heard that wanting proof.
you replied with but my friends told me it was so.
 
so in essence thats not an answer or proof but you saying its that way without any backup that its taught as the war of northern aggression in the south when its not.
#100 Posted by IcySandman (475 posts) -

I mean, there WERE other reasons besides slavery that they went to war, like
 
The South had no political power and had no say in issues.  This could lead to slavery being banned, unfair economic decisions that put them in bad positions, but the North in a good position.
 The cultures in the North and South differed greatly to the point of Nationalism becoming a problem...i.e. They aren't American, they're Southerners, live on big plantations (Small percentage actually..) and grow cotton.
 
So setting the slave issue beside, because most Southerners didn't actually have slaves and mainly plantation owners owned most of the land and slaves while everyone else were poor farmers that had to live off the land.   This was one of those things on the rich, not the populace.
 
The reason somebody would hang the Confederate Flag would be:
They had someone who fought on the Confederate side and protected their land from being pillaged, and the second would be it's your heritage, nothing to not be proud of, just a culture that wanted to be it's own nation because of large differences in society from another part of a nation.
 
 Same thing with the German Flag in WWII, or the Russian flag, there were just common people that fought for their country and way of life, not the small selection of people that were the extremists in their society.