Is anyone watching the Jeopardy "Man vs Machine" series?

• 62 results
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By FrankCanada97

Yesterday started a three-day series of Jeopardy, but what's different is that we have two of the shows most prolific winners facing off against IBM's "Watson". Here is a practice match from last month:

An extended news piece on Watson:

If anyone was wondering, yesterday's match ended in a tie between Watson and Brad Rutter. What do you guys think about all this? More proof of skynet coming? Also, who do you think will win the series?
Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Marcsman

Dear god they have released Skynet on Jepoardy. 
Judgement Day is nigh

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By rentfn

I enjoyed it. I hope today's episode has more questions then back story about it.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By buzz_clik

I'd just like to point out that "WATSON" is written in one of my favourite fonts, Lubalin. Cheers.

/fontnerd

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By trace

I think it's utterly fascinating, and although I'm going to miss the broadcast tonight and tomorrow night, I'll be watching it through the video IBM says they're going to post on Thursday.

I appreciate how they're showing Watson's top answers and confidence, as it really helps to understand Watson's strengths and weaknesses throughout the categories. Also interesting is how Watson's employing a bit of a "shotgun" method of category selection, moving around the board horizontally rather than vertically. That seems to be a specific tactic intended to throw Rutter and Jennings off.

Should be interesting to see how Watson handles the Double Jeopardy! round. It's apparent it was already struggling a little with some of the higher-value answers in the Jeopardy! round.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Animasta

I don't think Watson is going to win, he flubs it way too much on the higher value questions.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwho

It seems like the human advantage is mostly limited to stating a question in a way Watson can't understand. In other words, a human understands the question every time and may know the answer, Watson always knows the answer but occasionally doesn't understand the question.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nick_verissimo

Yes! I remember Trebek mentioning on Friday that they were doing something completely new, but I definitely did not expect this to be what they were doing.  I'm definitely very intrigued and interested to see not only how the games play out over the next two nights, but where this technology goes.  

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FrankCanada97
@rentfn said:
" I enjoyed it. I hope today's episode has more questions then back story about it. "
It's seems that they are contnuing from yesterday and moving on to double jeopardy. Although, I wonder if they are going to do final jeopardy today as well. If not what will tomorrows show consist of?
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In that first video, Watson should have answered "What is purple, bitch?"

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Animasta
@FrankCanada97 said:
" @rentfn said:
" I enjoyed it. I hope today's episode has more questions then back story about it. "
It's seems that they are contnuing from yesterday and moving on to double jeopardy. Although, I wonder if they are going to do final jeopardy today as well. If not what will tomorrows show consist of? "
today's gonna be double and final jeopardy, i imagine tomorrow will be a regular match (reg, double and final)
trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By trace
@FrankCanada97 said:
" Although, I wonder if they are going to do final jeopardy today as well. If not what will tomorrows show consist of? "
They'll do Double Jeopardy! and Final Jeopardy! today, if I heard correctly. Tomorrow's going to be another complete game, presumably with less discussion of Watson's development, as this is supposed to be a two-game tournament-style exhibition match.
fazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By fazzle

I feel like I'm the only person in the world unimpressed with two people who have already been made fucking rich by Jeopardy coming back and being paid to take a dive in a series of 30 minute infomercials. 

*adjusts tin foil hat*

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FrankCanada97
@fazzle said:
" I feel like I'm the only person in the world unimpressed with two people who have already been made fucking rich by Jeopardy coming back and being paid to take a dive in a series of 30 minute infomercials.  *adjusts tin foil hat* "
All winnings go to charity, unless you're referring to appearance fees.
Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rockanomics

A robot staring at me and asking "What is purple?" is a pretty horrifying experience.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By thatfrood
@FrankCanada97 said:
" @fazzle said:
" I feel like I'm the only person in the world unimpressed with two people who have already been made fucking rich by Jeopardy coming back and being paid to take a dive in a series of 30 minute infomercials.  *adjusts tin foil hat* "
All winnings go to charity, unless you're referring to appearance fees. "
No, he's clearly suggesting they're being paid to let Watson win.
trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By trace
@FrankCanada97 said:
" @fazzle said:
Not entirely true, either of these. There's a $1,000,000 prize for winning, with $300,000 for second and $200,000 for third. While IBM will donate all their winnings to charity, both Ken and Brad are keeping half of their earnings, with the other half going to the charities of their choice.

Not only is there a good amount of money to win by beating Watson, but Brad Rutter's never lost on Jeopardy! before, and I'm sure Ken would love to win a match as prominent as this to extend his lifetime game show winnings (and exact a little revenge on Rutter for the Ultimate Tournament of Champions stomping he received). I highly doubt any of them would be willing to take a dive in the venue they excel at the most.
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FrankCanada97
@PsEG: Thanks for clearing that up.
BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By BigLemon

Yeah I've been watching the videos, and it's some crazy stuff. The fact that Watson can compete on Jeopardy in particular is impressive because the Jeopardy questions aren't always straight forward, often relying on word play or tricky puns for the layout. And things Watson gets incorrect are usually context based questions. 

fazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fazzle
@ThatFrood said:
" @FrankCanada97 said:
" @fazzle said:
No, he's clearly suggesting they're being paid to let Watson win. "
Yep this exactly.   While I obviously have no way of proving this, and am simply going on baseless speculation, that's what I believe is happening.  This entire thing is just to get Watson into the eye of the public, so that IBM can then go on to sell the technology to...let's say Microsoft, so they can have a draw to get the public away from Google and onto Bing.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By penguindust

I just heard about it today when they mentioned it on ESPN.  I'll check it out tonight although I'm not sure how I feel about it.  "Deep Blue" vs Kasparov in the 90's was one thing since it was all tactical probabilities.   This time around it's a curiosity for certain, and those jokes about HAL or Skynet don't seem so remote. 

Suck it, Watson!
 Suck it, Watson!

Still, I think the whole thing would have been even more entertaining if the machine would have been competing against Sean Connery and "Turd Ferguson".  Ha-ha!
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FrankCanada97
@PenguinDust: Were you watching PTI by any chance?
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By penguindust
FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FreakAche

As a computer science major, I find it completely fascinating. I want to work at IBM now haha!

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mikemcn

Listen, and understand. Watson is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you lose.    

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FrankCanada97
@PenguinDust: A question, what do they do after they send it up to Sportscentre? Up here they always cut it off when Tony says "Goodnight Canada".
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By penguindust
@FrankCanada97:   There's about 20 minutes of Sportscenter then they return to the PTI set for Tony Reali to make any corrections, they then retouch on one or two topics very quickly and then close it out by asking each other very quick questions with one sentence answers.  If you've seen the podcast available or seen the show as offered online it's just the last 3-5 minutes of the show.
Gramiero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gramiero

I wish I could watch this... school projects have got me on lock-down. I'll be watching the footage later on, though.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FrankCanada97

Watson is absolutely creaming them right now. I am also baffled by the amount it chooses to wager. Also he "guessed" on a Double Jeopardy question.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FrankCanada97

Wow, Toronto? Really? Lester B. Pearson apparently led a double life and Billy Bishop was a WWII battle.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SlightConfuse

The ability of watson to read the question faster is a testament to its computing power.  

Also changing the topic constantly seemed to have thrown the other two off

takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#32  Edited By takua108

Bah, I hope this goes online later. (College student with no cable.)

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ryanwho

They didn't really get thrown off. The lower value questions are more directly worded so Watson was on a streak for a while. Once you get up to about 800 Watson can't quite understand most of the questions. So basically the contestants can let Watson hang itself by allowing it to buzz in to any question they think is too esoterically worded.

Avatar image for endlessobsidian
EndlessObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By EndlessObsidian

What is Toronto??????

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35  Edited By KaosAngel

That is rigged.  AI is not that good, I have played my fair share of Call of Duty campaigns.   

But seriously, I don't know if it's that believable or not.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Gabriel

They should have Gary Kasparov as a contestant, I would watch that.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By nick_verissimo

The answer for that Final Jeopardy question sort of proves Watson has some trouble with contextual questions?  I really don't know how it could have gotten the country wrong on that one unless it was trying to tell a joke. Because if it was telling a joke than that means it's self aware, man! It knows! The second that thing gets connected to the internet we're all dead!

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FrankCanada97
@nick_verissimo said:
" The answer for that Final Jeopardy question sort of proves Watson has some trouble with contextual questions?  I really don't know how it could have gotten the country wrong on that one unless it was trying to tell a joke. Because if it was telling a joke than that means it's self aware, man! It knows! The second that thing gets connected to the internet we're all dead! "
Toronto is commonly compared to Chicago. Perhaps for some reason, it found that comparison in his data-banks and used it?
pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By pwnasaurus

i know how to fix that robot real good. 

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I'm intrigued, although I remember most of those categories and questions from regular Jeopardy. I watch Jeopardy like it's going out of style and I'm an old retired man.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Watson is a fucking badass.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By weltal

I haven't seen these episodes of Jeopardy but in that first video Watson never choose another category and the one time it is presented with that as the only option they cut to break... Sooo can Watson choose categories? Does it do so in the full show?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43  Edited By crusader8463

I for one welcome our future robotic overlords. Go Wilson!

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FrankCanada97

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By nick_verissimo
@FrankCanada97: True enough, but it still has trouble with the context of questions.  It just seems to disregard certain bits of information (in this case the category "U.S. cities") and only provides the best categorical response.  I'm impressed by it's analytical reasoning and deduction based upon the information it already knows, but feel a little safer inside knowing that some of it's logic isn't quite there yet.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#46  Edited By Daveyo520

Somewhat. I think it is kinda cool, back to being like the Deep Blue chess days.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FrankCanada97
@nick_verissimo said:

" @FrankCanada97: True enough, but it still has trouble with the context of questions.  It just seems to disregard certain bits of information (in this case the category "U.S. cities") and only provides the best categorical response.  I'm impressed by it's analytical reasoning and deduction based upon the information it already knows, but feel a little safer inside knowing that some of it's logic isn't quite there yet. "

I found an explanation for Watson's answer. Apparently, Chicago was a close second on the list.

Watson, in his training phase,  learned that categories only weakly suggest the kind of answer that is expected, and, therefore, the machine downgrades their significance.  The way the language was parsed provided an advantage for the humans and a disadvantage for Watson, as well. “What US city” wasn’t in the question. If it had been, Watson would have given US cities much more weight as it searched for the answer. Adding to the confusion for Watson, there are cities named Toronto in the United States and the Toronto in Canada has an American League baseball team. It probably picked up those facts from the written material it has digested. Also, the machine didn’t find much evidence to connect either city’s airport to World War II. (Chicago was a very close second on Watson’s list of possible answers.) So this is just one of those situations that’s a snap for a reasonably knowledgeable human but a true brain teaser for the machine.

Link is here if you want to read more.
nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By nick_verissimo
@FrankCanada97:  That link answered what I wasn't sure of.  Regardless, the implications for this type of technology are really important if they can get some those kinks ironed out. I'm really interested to see where they can take it.
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FrankCanada97
@nick_verissimo: Yeah, they're talking about its possible application in the medical and legal professions.
cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By cnlmullen

It's an impressive language parsing feat, but, like most Computer Science AI stuff, it probably wouldn't be so impressive if you knew how it worked. AI is like a magic trick in that way; its about making it seem like real intelligence. 

People can't out run cars, wrestle a bulldozer or dig faster than a steam shovel -- but there's nothing meaningful or philosophical about that. That's how I feel about AI.