• 151 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5b45500a95f79
deactivated-5b45500a95f79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Maybe it's just been a while since I watched anime but it seem 2-4 minutes the characters are screaming at each other, often for no reason. Then the the other times are full of mouths agape and and people staring at the sky

-I have only watched the first episode, but I found myself laughing more than anything

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

You know it is not a joke.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By LackingSaint

In 99% of cases, the first episode does not represent the rest of the show. In Attack On Titan's case, it's weirdly melodramatic at the very beginning and Eren being Eren as well as being an angry kid adds up to him being a pretty shouty character at first.

That said, if you didn't feel emotionally invested at all by the end-of-episode reveal, I don't know if it's worth your time to watch anymore. It kind of just sounds like you are overblowing that one scene with the soldier telling the lady that her son died.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Attack on Titan is fucking incredible

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#5  Edited By Kidavenger

I watched the first episode and didn't like it, seemed extremely silly in every way possible, I didn't like the art style either, looked more like someone was trying to emulate an anime style rather than the real thing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lackingsaint: No it was really every conversation moved into yelling and gasping. But I'm on the second episode and I can see it moving in a different direction. I'll give it a go. I honestly thought it was going to be one of those that so overdone and that was the attraction like a korean drama. But I can see that is not the case.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This actually reminds me a lot of the later Gantz story

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Attack on Titan is rad. Eren is a little shouty though.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@kenobi said:

@lackingsaint: No it was really every conversation moved into yelling and gasping. But I'm on the second episode and I can see it moving in a different direction. I'll give it a go. I honestly thought it was going to be one of those that so overdone and that was the attraction like a korean drama. But I can see that is not the case.

IF you want a cool, over the top show then Gurren Lagann is a safe bet. Just when you think they won't top themselves, that show just goes to new extremes.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By colourful_hippie

@kenobi said:

From what I've read of the manga it seems like the anime could have huge potential. I'm not surprised if the melodrama and voice acting becomes over the top because it's not like that kind of shit is out of the ordinary when anime is concerned.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of get the feeling their problem is really just a lack of budget. 20 minute episodes and they spend a lot of time really stretching things out (not sure how common that is with this format though). Still, it's weird enough to be interesting.

Luchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Luchen

The animation and the art are pretty great and the premise has promoise but its major flaw for me it's that it takes itself too seriously to the point of just being annoying. The only reason i stick through most of it is just because of the action scenes, but if it wasn't for that i couldn't take everyone yelling and being disturbed 24/7.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Niceanims

It was alright, but it became pretty damn predictable. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but, for me, it was in this case. Also, I liked Eren less and less over the course of the show.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's anime, did you expect it to be modest and subdued?

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I found it enjoying because I can get invested in it at one moment and then laugh at it the next.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I watched the first two episodes and it didn't click for me, seemed like a pretty standard 14-year-old wish fulfillment anime.

I honestly hate most anime, but I keep trying because sometimes something hits that I just thing is overwhelmingly incredible, and the distance between that stuff and other anime is astronomical

Everything by Satoshi Kon is absolutely stunning, and earlier this year I watched all of Neon Genesis Evangelion which I also though was amazing.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, it's an anime

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spraynardtatum said:

Attack on Titan is fucking incredible

the show is amazing, just watch the first episode to the very end when shit starts getting real. The whole point of the show is to start it very melodramatically and have those sort of over dramatic moments then flip it around and have shit get fucking crazy. I have never seen a show where shit gits so real on so many different levels, its fucking incredible.

The only problems I have with the show/manga is the potential future of the story becoming too typical and predictable like other anime series/manga. Can't wait for chapter 51 to come out in the next few days, 50 was jaw dropping awesome.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just try and watch till episode 5 if you do not get hooked after ep 5 it is not for you^^

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

I'm the other way, I feel episodes 1-5 are totally phenomenal, and then it goes down and becomes pretty shitty post episode 8.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Grixxel

@humanity said:

@kenobi said:

IF you want a cool, over the top show then Gurren Lagann is a safe bet. Just when you think they won't top themselves, that show just goes to new extremes.

I love Gurren, even though ... after that one character dies, the series takes such a turn that was not as enjoyable as the first few episodes, for me anyways.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EXTomar
Loading Video...

Does this look like a joke? Actually don't answer that.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it, it's not the best anime I've seen by a large margin, but it's probably my favorite of the new shows I've been exposed to. The show has a lot of potential and I think as it goes on it gets better. I guess the yelling and goofiness doesn't bother me anymore, or maybe I just don't notice it. Hopefully they get a larger budget so they don't have to reuse so many animations.

Ind1gnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really loved it, I do agree that theres so much shouting and crying and all this usual anime bullshit at start but after like the first 7-10 episodes it gets really really good. I actually watched it twice after the first season ended, originally at home and I liked the art direction a lot so I watched at work with a friend on the projector with big screen :D

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@grixxel said:

@humanity said:

@kenobi said:

I love Gurren, even though ... after that one character dies, the series takes such a turn that was not as enjoyable as the first few episodes, for me anyways.

When they go in Space.. and you find out the "truth" about everything.. man.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not a very good series but it is loved because it isn't moe as fuck.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its really good if you can get past how everyone is ALWAYS FREAKING OUT OVER EVERYTHING

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By biggiedubs

@darji said:

Just try and watch till episode 5 if you do not get hooked after ep 5 it is not for you^^

If I have to watch five episodes to get interested, then the show's failed. The opening should be the most important part, and if it doesn't bring the good stuff and get me hooked on it, why should I expect it to get better later?

That being said, I thought the opening of Attack on Titan was okay, but it didn't really get me to give a shit about any of the characters. Which, when I thing about is probably why you thought it was a joke. Hella melodrama with characters that you don't like / can't take seriously certainly seems like a big joke.

As for the end of the episode, yes, I know it's his mother, and no-one likes to see a mother get killed, but if she's been only be on screen for one / two scenes, you can't really care too much about her.

I would have cut the opening scene entirely, and just had a scene with the mother telling him about the walls and shit as a little kid instead. Yeah, it's a bit generic, but it gets the job done.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kenobi: I've read the manga for some while and you're in for a treat if you stick with it. I did NOT expect the turns the story took, it's well worth getting into.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So it's basically DBZ?

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I really wanted to like Attack on Titan, but after watching a dozen episodes, the terrible writing made me stop watching. I don't understand why people like it so much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Random shouting and screaming at the sky?

Yeah, that's Eren being Eren. He almost turned me off the show before I realized the show is actually about Mikasa.

There was a brief period where something intense happened at the end of an episode, and I thought the show was going to take a step from being awesome to incredible, but unfortunately it backed away from that.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kenobi said:

Maybe it's just been a while since I watched anime but it seem 2-4 minutes the characters are screaming at each other, often for no reason. Then the the other times are full of mouths agape and and people staring at the sky

Er, isn't that just anime in general?

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is why I don't watch more of this stuff, so many of these shows have great concept/premises locked underneath 100 years of anime tropes.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By chiablo

My wife is a huge anime nerd and devours every anime series in her path. Here's her thoughts on Attack on Titan:

I have watched the first 5 episodes, except it has some extremely disturbing imagery and I had to stop because I just couldn't stomach it. For some stupid reason I'm more OK with massive amounts of blood than watching someone get slowly devoured.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chiablo: Oh, I totally get that. This show is fucking brutal.

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I extremely love about the show is how incredibly dark and cruel it is and how important characters often straight up bite the dust without warning. Also I might be in the minority, but I kinda like Eren, his ideals and courage are interesting even though he himself is often very stubborn and emotional.

I gotta say one thing about the story though: The beginning of the show when they went into training and had to fight titans with the 3D-gear was pretty amazing but as soon as it turned into people transforming into titans, I didn't really like it that much. It made especially Eren look like a completely useless character, since the only thing he has to contribute to anything is his transformation ability. Without that he would have died already. Don't really know why the author made it that way.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raineko said:

What I extremely love about the show is how incredibly dark and cruel it is and how important characters often straight up bite the dust without warning. Also I might be in the minority, but I kinda like Eren, his ideals and courage are interesting even though he himself is often very stubborn and emotional.

I gotta say one thing about the story though: The beginning of the show when they went into training and had to fight titans with the 3D-gear was pretty amazing but as soon as it turned into people transforming into titans, I didn't really like it that much. It made especially Eren look like a completely useless character, since the only thing he has to contribute to anything is his transformation ability. Without that he would have died already. Don't really know why the author made it that way.

Eren is filled with righteous rage and I love him for it. He's got heart.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcghee said:

So it's basically DBZ?

Less powering up

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By Flappy

I watched up to Episode 6 and tapped out. The anime was pretty and the premise was interesting, but Eren should've stayed dead. That probably wouldn't be the best thing for the plot, but it sure would've made things more tolerable for me.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naruto. Just, watch Naruto. Starts out great. Gets a little weird way later on. But still stays great.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raineko said:

Here's the real answer

seemed like a pretty standard 14-year-old wish fulfillment anime.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently read the manga up to the last issue that's been released. It started out with a whole lot of promise, and there were some great reveals, but lately has gotten completely bogged down in boring, shitty, who-gives-a-fuck detail. It also shows no sign of ending anytime soon, (seriously, go to the fucking basement already!) so expect a shoddy thrown together ending for the anime.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I couldn't get hooked. For a lot of the same reasons you mentioned. Also, I'm kind of done with all the reoccurring cliches of shonen-animes.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@budwyzer said:

Naruto. Just, watch Naruto. Starts out great. Gets a little weird way later on. But still stays great.

Naruto is cool, but it's been going on so long that it definitely drags in some places (like now). At least it ain't Bleach!

In retrospect, Gantz was really fucking cool, but it's conclusion was kinda...cute.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chiablo said:

My wife is a huge anime nerd and devours every anime series in her path. Here's her thoughts on Attack on Titan:

I have watched the first 5 episodes, except it has some extremely disturbing imagery and I had to stop because I just couldn't stomach it. For some stupid reason I'm more OK with massive amounts of blood than watching someone get slowly devoured.

The most "scary thing" for me are these faces. Man these faces..... And people do not watch it because of Eren but because of bad ass crazy Mikasa XD

@biggiedubs If you really think like that you miss out a ton of great animes. Take One Piece for example it is only getting good after like 50 Episodes but after that it is getting better and better until the time skip at least. Gintama is another example. It only get great after 25 episodes but after that you have one of the best animes ever made^^

Hitman return is another example: The first 20 episodes and introduction ones are really really really really terrible but with the beginning of this it is getting really interesting:

Loading Video...

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#47  Edited By LackingSaint

@darji said:

If I have to watch five episodes to get interested, then the show's failed. The opening should be the most important part, and if it doesn't bring the good stuff and get me hooked on it, why should I expect it to get better later?

Jeez man, you're severely limiting yourself as far as television if the show has to have you hooked in less than an hour. Slow burns exist, and they're part of why Breaking Bad and The Wire are so critically acclaimed. The idea that there have to be immediate hooks just makes me think of those reality shows that spend half the episode hyping up the other half; i'd take a show that commanded its own pace a million times over a "every episode needs to artificially set up situations to blow me away constantly" thing.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By soldierg654342

It's basically Starship Troopers: The Anime (the jury's out if it's more Heinlein or Verhoeven yet), so I really like it. Though I fully admit, I haven't put enough distance between me and the series yet to know if I think if it's any good yet.

@sinusoidal said:

I recently read the manga up to the last issue that's been released. It started out with a whole lot of promise, and there were some great reveals, but lately has gotten completely bogged down in boring, shitty, who-gives-a-fuck detail. It also shows no sign of ending anytime soon, (seriously, go to the fucking basement already!) so expect a shoddy thrown together ending for the anime.

I believe that the author stated that it was going to end at volume 26 or around there. So it does have an ending. It's just far off int eh distance.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FlipperDesert

I hope you like cliffhangers and monologues.

(Kill la Kill is better, watch that instead!)

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Darji

I hope you like cliffhangers and monologues.

(Kill la Kill is better, watch that instead!)

I would say Samurai Flamenco.