#1 Posted by Beaudacious (927 posts) -

I finally finished my run through all of Deep Space Nine since i watched it in elementary school. Now am ready to move on to my next series, i watched all of Voyager during my high-school years so i have a fairly good memory of that, and TNG marathon was before DSN. So i turn to Babylon 5, a series i know nothing about. From watching some quick YouTube videos, it seems like spaceship nerdgasma but it also has an air of cheesiness. From what i understand its also about a space station, so two station shows might be too much back to back. Seeing as this is going to be a really long project, i'm kinda apprehensive about this pretty much unknown TO ME series. I don't want to get into season 2, and find its utter trash afterwards.

What do you fellows think of Babylon 5? Is it a worthy investment of my time?

Concerning other recommendations, yes I've already watched Firefly, BSG, Caprica, Enterprise, the multiple Star Gate's, and could never get into Farscape or Andromeda.

#2 Posted by Mesklinite (804 posts) -

The first season can look a bit dated, but I think it's great series then either of the startrek seriesi. That's my personal opinion, it builds very strong characters with relationships over 5 seasons. It's very different then DS9. I give it a thumbs up. Now.. maybe I should rewatch it again.

#3 Posted by DonChipotle (2721 posts) -

Lord yes

#4 Posted by Excast (905 posts) -

I watched Babylon 5 back in the day and have mostly fond memories.  It did get a little crazy and convoluted at times, but overall it was pretty good.

#5 Posted by pyromagnestir (4291 posts) -

I tried watching it a while back but oh, man did it look so old. Don't think I made it through the second episode before giving up. @Mesklinite: Why is it only the first season is dated? What changes? Knowing that it does improve in that way might make it likely that I'll give it another shot in the future.

#6 Posted by WarlordPayne (700 posts) -

It's been a long time since I've seen it but I remember it being pretty damn great. As I recall the second season is when the show really gets going, after they shuffle around the cast a bit.

Just make sure you avoid Crusade.

#7 Edited by Pazy (2563 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

Why is it only the first season is dated? What changes? Knowing that it does improve in that way might make it likely that I'll give it another shot in the future.

Part of it is that the first season is full of the TV filler episodes where get into the story but next week they decide to do something unrelated. For example, there is an episode (called TKO I think) where a guest character (who never appears again), fights in an underground fighting tournament (which never appears again) and the only thing that happens for the story is that one main character is perhaps a little more trusting? A little. That might be fine for a "monster of the week" style show but there was an on-going plot building up over the season and it suddently stopped for an episode for no reason and dosent really show you any of the other main characters (of which there are quite a few).

Luckly that never happens for the next 4 seasons. Every episode has meaning for the overall plot, every character has been set up and is developing and its all just generally higher quality. Though I love the show deeply the first season dosent feel like its written by the same people. Though thats largely because its not since every episode of Season 3,4 and 5 (and I believe 2/3 of Season 2) were written by the head writer and creater to become a more cohesive whole wheras Season 1 is a variety of diffrent writers with some "plot" episodes and some pointless episodes which im assuming were asked for by "the higher-ups".

Additionaly, Season 2 is where a lot of the background plot's come into the forefront so every situation has a lot more relevance. Season 1 has a lot of hints at future seasons but its really just about setting up the characters, worlds and general plotline which makes it the slowest, and dullest, part of the entire show. Season 2 takes those ideas and starts building the interesting situations and ideas.

I would really suggest, if you have time, to give it another go and try and get into Season 2. Sadly with a show as inter-twined as Babylon 5 you cant skip Season 1 but I think any "hardship" is worth it for the next 4 seasons.

#8 Posted by TheCableKid (206 posts) -

I personally would say skip season 1 entirely. I watched the whole series a while back and it still holds up in most regards.

#9 Posted by Mesklinite (804 posts) -

@Pazy said:

@pyromagnestir said:

Why is it only the first season is dated? What changes? Knowing that it does improve in that way might make it likely that I'll give it another shot in the future.

Part of it is that the first season is full of the TV filler episodes where get into the story but next week they decide to do something unrelated. For example, there is an episode (called TKO I think) where a guest character (who never appears again), fights in an underground fighting tournament (which never appears again) and the only thing that happens for the story is that one main character is perhaps a little more trusting? A little. That might be fine for a "monster of the week" style show but there was an on-going plot building up over the season and it suddently stopped for an episode for no reason and dosent really show you any of the other main characters (of which there are quite a few).

Luckly that never happens for the next 4 seasons. Every episode has meaning for the overall plot, every character has been set up and is developing and its all just generally higher quality. Though I love the show deeply the first season dosent feel like its written by the same people. Though thats largely because its not since every episode of Season 3,4 and 5 (and I believe 2/3 of Season 2) were written by the head writer and creater to become a more cohesive whole wheras Season 1 is a variety of diffrent writers with some "plot" episodes and some pointless episodes which im assuming were asked for by "the higher-ups".

Additionaly, Season 2 is where a lot of the background plot's come into the forefront so every situation has a lot more relevance. Season 1 has a lot of hints at future seasons but its really just about setting up the characters, worlds and general plotline which makes it the slowest, and dullest, part of the entire show. Season 2 takes those ideas and starts building the interesting situations and ideas.

I would really suggest, if you have time, to give it another go and try and get into Season 2. Sadly with a show as inter-twined as Babylon 5 you cant skip Season 1 but I think any "hardship" is worth it for the next 4 seasons.

What pazy said hehe

#10 Posted by hermes (1413 posts) -

Definitely.

The first season felt disjointed and the last season was added after most of the plot points were resolved, but its still a great series...

One thing to keep in mind is that the first season is full of clues and red hearings, which may seem random but come to fruition in later seasons. Although the first season is harder to endure (with all the cheesiness and episodic stuff), it is worthy for the epicness of the other seasons...

#11 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

The CGI is dated, but I loved Babylon 5, and still do. Highly recommended.

#12 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

Babylon 5 is probably the best sci-fi story ever told. It is spectacular.

As others have said, season 1 is not that great. The plot of the episodes are a little too standalone and "typical sci-fi fare". At least, that's how it appears, but there's constantly stuff in the background, things that you don't think much about, that end up being very important later on.

Rather than saying skip season 1, I recommend watching a select few episodes, then going to season 2.

Those Episodes are:

And The Sky Full of Stars

Signs and Portents (extremely important)

Everything after and including a Voice In the Wilderness Part 1 (episodes 18 to 22).

It's not a coincidence that all of these episodes where written by J Micheal Straczynski, while most of season 1 wasn't. He also wrote the vast majority of the remainder of the show.

It's very much worth it.

#13 Posted by bartok (2467 posts) -

Babylon 5 seems like one of those rabbit holes of Sci Fi geekery that I just don't want to jump into because I don't think there is a way out.