• 128 results
#1 Posted by pyromagnestir (4332 posts) -

#2 Edited by pyromagnestir (4332 posts) -

I'm buying a new mouse, because mine is dying. Anyway I'm filling out my amazon order with some used books to hit the super saver shipping and I started wondering is that as frowned upon as buying used games sometimes is?

Also joke answer I didn't include was What is Books?

Also should have had an option for neither is evil, which is what I believe, or one is one isn't. But I'm dumb.

#3 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Its not evil. Its called Capitalism.

#4 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

FUCK NO!

#5 Posted by Chaser324 (6712 posts) -

I don't think I would've been able to pay my way through college if I'd had to buy all brand new textbooks. The markup on those things is crazy.

You could play devil's advocate and say that maybe the prices would be lower if everyone had to buy new, but at this point that's never going to happen.

#6 Posted by pyromagnestir (4332 posts) -

@Dagbiker: Damn that should've been a choice.

#7 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

same evilness, ie none.

#8 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5152 posts) -

Both of them aren't evil, but I think if an author gets you to read his first book for cheap there are higher chanced you will buy his second book for the full price (which for less known authors can be quite cheap) but if you play a game you liked, the chances aren't as high you will buy the sequel next year for $60.

#9 Posted by Bobstar (316 posts) -

@kashif1 said:

same evilness, ie none.

#10 Posted by Jimbo (9925 posts) -

They're both totally fine. The right to resell is accounted for in the initial sale price. If authors or game devs don't like that they can go fuck themselves.

#11 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1801 posts) -

If we keep going down this rabbit hole, garage sales will become a felony.

#12 Posted by animathias (1194 posts) -

The author doesn't get a dime, so it's the same. Maybe more-so these days because the author can't sell you the multiplayer for $10, but I picked "the same."

If you want to support the person who created the content, buy new. In your case, it sounds like it doesn't especially matter.

#13 Posted by JJOR64 (19042 posts) -

Buying used games is evil?

#14 Posted by SuperCycle (333 posts) -

Neither is evil, it's not your fault that the reseller doesn't give money to the author or game developer. Your just looking for a good deal.

#15 Posted by BaneFireLord (2967 posts) -

I don't buy used books because I am oddly germ-phobic about them. I buy used games all the time and I don't think that's evil. So...more evil, because I don't want to contract some imaginary disease from an old book?

#16 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

@animathias said:

The author doesn't get a dime, so it's the same. Maybe more-so these days because the author can't sell you the multiplayer for $10, but I picked "the same."

If you want to support the person who created the content, buy new. In your case, it sounds like it doesn't especially matter.

So libraries are bad too right? Actually, they're more like renting games.

That reminds me, those of you who think used games are bad, what is your stance on rentals? It was fine for 25 years but now that we've all decided to become saints doesn't it fall under the same category as used games? Those rented games even get sold as used games eventually haha

#17 Posted by Mikemcn (7005 posts) -

Same evilness, but buying anything used really isn't evil, I tend to stay from used books because if I wanted to read a book someone else has already used, I'd just go to the library, if I like a book enough to buy it, i'll just get a new copy.

#18 Posted by Barrock (3551 posts) -

No. Most authors just want their words to be read.

#19 Posted by RecSpec (3902 posts) -
@Bobstar said:

@kashif1 said:

same evilness, ie none.

This but with a higher danger level. Imagine buying a book then finding out some of the pages stuck together. 
#20 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

They're both totally fine. The right to resell is accounted for in the initial sale price. If authors or game devs don't like that they can go fuck themselves.

Well, as a matter of fact, I'm an author. I make a profit of 2$ per books sold of my series, and in my native language, we don't have a big reading community, so when I sell around 5,000-6,000 books, i'm super happy, and you can guess the yearly income I make out of it.

So, say that people actually did not buy my books new, and rented them or bought them used instead, i'd be even poorer, and i'd have to stop writing entirely.

And here's you, telling me I can go fuck myself? Wow.

#21 Posted by Jimbo (9925 posts) -
@Klei

@Jimbo said:

Well, as a matter of fact, I'm an author. I make a profit of 2$ per books sold of my series, and in my native language, we don't have a big reading community, so when I sell around 5,000-6,000 books, i'm super happy, and you can guess the yearly income I make out of it.

So, say that people actually did not buy my books new, and rented them or bought them used instead, i'd be even poorer, and i'd have to stop writing entirely.

Yep... well, only if you don't like it. You know what the law says regarding resale every single time you put pen to paper and write the first line of a book, and ditto every time you decide how your product will be monetised. If, within the legal framework of the market, you don't believe you can make a reasonable income out of it then go make a living doing something else, lobby to have the law changed, write better books or be better at monetising them.

Don't: understand exactly how the market operates, decide to bring a product to market regardless, and THEN complain that consumers within the market are doing something you knew they were totally entitled to do from the start. The same applies to the game industry. Less games being made and less books being written isn't inherently a bad thing. If on the other hand you believe you can make a decent living even though you know some copies of your book/game will be used by multiple people, then good luck to you.
#22 Posted by pyromagnestir (4332 posts) -

@Klei said:

@Jimbo said:

This is why I asked. I sympathize with the people who make these things I like. I want them to keep making them, so I have more to enjoy. I don't think used purchases are evil regardless of the medium, but I try to buy new mostly for that reason. And it seems to me the most vocal anti used faction is video game companies and righteous gamers.

#23 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -
@Jimbo: Wow, I dont think I've been more outraged at a comment on these here forums. But instead of delivering a hate filled speech aimed at you, I'm just going to say that you are an awful human being, and let others tear you apart.
#24 Posted by JoeyRavn (5002 posts) -

Ask yourself this question. Have you ever made out with a girl who had already been with someone else?

If so, you're destroying the gaming industry. Shame on you.

#25 Edited by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Buying used is perfectly legal, and has been around for quite some time. If you get into the business of selling books, games, etc. and are, I assume, fully aware of the fact that buying used exists, and you still get into that business, then nuts to you if you don't like it.

@babblinmule said:

@Jimbo: Wow, I dont think I've been more outraged at a comment on these here forums. But instead of delivering a hate filled speech aimed at you, I'm just going to say that you are an awful human being, and let others tear you apart.

He's right, though. Also, you're simultaneously a pussy, and an awful human being, with that last sentence there. So congrats.

#26 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

No, because that means at the end of the day, Godek gets less money.

#27 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Libraries are bastions of evil

#28 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

@kashif1 said:

same evilness, ie none.

#29 Posted by Jimbo (9925 posts) -
@babblinmule
You / they are free to try, but I doubt you'll get very far. Which part outraged you so much? Was it the part where I was right or the other part where I was right?
#30 Posted by Jeust (10795 posts) -

What is evil? Attending to your concerns first?

#31 Posted by Simulacrum (462 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

#32 Edited by Klei (1768 posts) -
@Jimbo
I never complained. Where did you see me complained? I just explained how things work.
#33 Posted by MikeinSC (910 posts) -

@pyromagnestir: Buying anything used isn't evil. It's not your job to do what a company wants.

#34 Edited by babblinmule (1262 posts) -
@Jimbo said:

@babblinmule

You / they are free to try, but I doubt you'll get very far. Which part outraged you so much? Was it the part where I was right or the other part where I was right?
The part where you try to justify belittling his career by hiding behind abstract laws was pretty much the main selling point behind it to be honest. The second half... i'm not entirely sure what you're trying to get at, but the general gist of it seemed to be that its ok to buy books and games second hand because the world doesn't need as many? I think? Im guessing english is not your first language.

Edit - Also just gotta say that I think that second hand reading of books is ok in some situations (libraries and such), there are far better ways to argue for it without coming across as a gigantic idiot like your argument in the 2nd post.
#35 Posted by Jimbo (9925 posts) -
@Klei
@Jimbo
I never complained. Where did you see me complained? I just explained how things work.
Well, you took my "if authors don't like it [how the market operates] they can go fuck themselves" and applied it to yourself. Thereby accepting that the "don't like it" clause in that sentence applies to yourself, no?

I'm not saying ALL authors and game devs should go fuck themselves; only those who decide to create things knowing the rules and then bitch about used sales after the fact. If that isn't you then great!
#36 Edited by blackbird415 (777 posts) -

@RecSpec said:

@Bobstar said:

@kashif1 said:

same evilness, ie none.

This but with a higher danger level. Imagine buying a book then finding out some of the pages stuck together.

eeeeewwwwww true. Then again you could get a game from ebay that had some "residue" on the disk :p easier to clean though.

Less of a problem as well considering instruction manuals going away :p the real danger would be a used keyboard.

#37 Posted by Jimbo (9925 posts) -
@babblinmule
@Jimbo said:

@babblinmule

The part where you try to justify belittling his career by hiding behind abstract laws was pretty much the main selling point behind it to be honest. The second half... i'm not entirely sure what you're trying to get at, but the general gist of it seemed to be that its ok to buy books and games second hand because the world doesn't need as many? I think? Im guessing english is not your first language.

Edit - Also just gotta say that I think that second hand reading of books is ok in some situations (libraries and such), there are far better ways to argue for it without coming across as a gigantic idiot like your argument in the 2nd post.
Get back to me when you have formed some kind of coherent argument of your own, champ. Your ad hominem attacks are boring, bring nothing to the discussion and don't phase me one bit.
#38 Posted by Barrock (3551 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@Barrock said:

No. Most authors just want their words to be read.

Bullshit. "Most" authors want to feed and clothe themselves which is why "most" books are annualized franchise titles with little to no literary merit, just like videogames.

I don't think that buying a used book or a used game is evil but arguing that "it isn't evil because the author doesn't really want the money" is completely insane.

Yes I know most authors want to be successful. But I doubt many are going to tell you not to buy their book used or get it from the library. A person reading their book could lead them to purchase more of their books in the future. Look at the indy movement on Amazon. Authors are putting up their novels for 99 cents. They catch fire, become popular, and they sell a lot more books.

#39 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

This, but possibly without the whole "go fuck yourselves" bit.

#40 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

There is nothing evil about either of those.

#41 Posted by toby616 (11 posts) -

Save trees, buy used books. also, save water by peeing outside.

#42 Posted by DeF (4955 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

Buying used games is evil?

Just as evil as eating little children.

By the way, i recommend cranberry sauce to go with 18-24 month old ones.

#43 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1576 posts) -

I picked C because neither is evil. People who think buying something used really need to grow up or get over themselves.

#44 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1740 posts) -

The solution to everything is go digital.

#45 Posted by JudgeDread (572 posts) -

not evil

ownership is a right

dont buy the shit from the industry and its game "journalist" chronies

fuck the industry

#46 Posted by James_ex_machina (905 posts) -

Not evil. It just has a much smaller impact on the book publishing world compared to the video game publishing. I work in textbook publishing. The teams are small that work on the books and we turn some books around in just weeks to a year. Games are made by large teams working on every aspect (art style, animation, design, etc etc)For longer periods of time. When the games industry gets cut out of sales it cuts potential profits from a lot of people. Novels being sold used does cut profits from the publishers but there not a BookStop on every corner trying to sell those used books. Textbooks get updated so much(although most of the changes are redesigns to force sales to current students).

#47 Posted by crusader8463 (14426 posts) -

Same evil.

#48 Posted by pyromagnestir (4332 posts) -

@James_ex_machina: that's kind've a dick move... the redesigns that is.

#49 Posted by JudgeDread (572 posts) -

potential profits?

BAH HUMBUG!!

#50 Posted by AwesomeAquaman (164 posts) -

You're buying books? That is evil to begin with.