#201 Posted by OneManX (1680 posts) -

I dont know anyone cares about what a fast food chain thinks. Personally, I think people have gone off both ends of theboat of the whole issue at hand with gay marriage.

But, can't deny that they make some awesome chicken sandwiches, and some great lemonade and it's cheap. Also waffle Fries.

#202 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

I find it increasingly idiotic when people that are known to be religious are asked their thoughts on gay marriage, and then everyone flips shit at the answer. It's like asking someone belonging to a political party if they agree with that party's views and then being super surprised when they say yes.

Last time I checked, Chick-Fil-A is not a governing body that creates legislation or decides how your lives will be run, so everyone needs just calm down and eat some chicken...or you know, just don't eat some chicken.

#203 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@BirdkeeperDan said:

@SeriouslyNow: Not nearly half of America would make a news story out of absolutely nothing. Not half of America is pestering a man with a set of views that similiar to half or close to half of the their country. I respect that other people have other views and even try to understand those views. I do not try to personally disrespect people who have a differing opinion than me; I would appreciate the same courtesy.

So....yes then?

Pestering a man, wtf? People and businesses have decided to distance themselves from Chick-Fil-A, nobody has pestered an individual.

Do you respect businesses and individuals that lie to people?

#204 Edited by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow: If you mess with the business your messing with Dan Casey, a VP already died of a heart attack. Seeing as how fanatic supporters are of one side I'd imagine the posting is from an equally fanatic supporter of the other side. I'd answer your first question but I'm kindof done with this thread and I'll remember to never respond to anything you say ever again.

#205 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@BirdkeeperDan

@SeriouslyNow: Not nearly half of America would make a news story out of absolutely nothing. Not half of America is pestering a man with a set of views that similiar to half or close to half of the their country. I respect that other people have other views and even try to understand those views. I do not try to personally disrespect people who have a differing opinion than me; I would appreciate the same courtesy.

Do you know what else half of Americans agreed on?

Slavery.

If everybody just says "stop disrespecting me because I have a differing opinion." nobody except white males would ever have equality.
#206 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@BirdkeeperDan said:

@SeriouslyNow: If you mess with the business your messing with Dan Casey, a VP already died of a heart attack. Seeing as how fanatic supporters are of one side I'd imagine the posting is from an equally fanatic supporter of the other side. I'd answer your first question but I'm kindof done with this thread and I'll remember to never respond to anything you say ever again.

So now Dan Casey's heart attack is the fault of people who've questioned Chick-Fil-A CEO's funding of anti-gay organisations and hate groups? LOL

The only fanatic here so far is you. Crazy person.

#207 Posted by cbarnes86 (545 posts) -

Good chicken, but way too expensive

#208 Edited by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

@CL60: Yes public opinion can be a pretty worthless indicator of morality. But Dan Caseys views are based the Bible. Really I don't expect young people on the internet to really respect that but they should at least understand the basic tenants and impact of the largest religion in the world.

I'd hope that people who have enough perspective to realize that this actually a pretty wildly held opinion and enough discretion to not flip out whenever someone prominent has a Christian view. However I guess with with millions of dollars going towards gay rights groups to whip up a mob whenever they feel like it's hardly suprising.

From what I've seen of Dan Casey he's a really nice guy. All of this media technology just allows for uncontrolled spin and completely disconnects people from reality. I guarentee if any of you met with Dan Casey you would think he was perfectly reasonable and nice man.

#209 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@BirdkeeperDan

@CL60: Yes public opinion can be a pretty worthless indicator of morality. But Dan Caseys views are based the Bible. Really I don't expect young people on the internet to really respect that but they should at least understand the basic tenants and impact of the largest religion in the world.

I'd hope that people who have enough perspective to realize that this actually a pretty wildly held opinion and enough discretion to not flip out whenever someone prominent has a Christian view. However I guess with with millions of dollars going towards gay rights groups to whip up a mob whenever they feel like it's hardly suprising.

From what I've seen of Dan Casey he's a really nice guy. All of this media technology just allows for uncontrolled spin and a completely disconnects people from reality. I guarentee if any of you met with Dan Casey you would think he was perfectly reasonable and nice man.

Why should I respect it simply because it's written in a book? Intolerance is intolerance. I have nothing against Christians, but once you start trying to take away the rights of others because a book told you so, you dont deserve my respect.
#210 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Now I'm wondering why this thread has gone on for as long as it has now.

Oh wait, religion.

#211 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@BirdkeeperDan said:

From what I've seen of Dan Casey he's a really nice guy. All of this media technology just allows for uncontrolled spin and a completely disconnects people from reality. I guarentee if any of you met with Dan Casey you would think he was perfectly reasonable and nice man.

Tenets. Nobody is flipping out over a Christian point of view, people are disappointed that their money is going towards hate groups and some of those people are prominent public figures, United States political representatives and private companies who no longer want to do business with Chick-Fil-A.

The Muppets aren't a gay rights group. You are ignoring reality.

#212 Posted by Fearbeard (824 posts) -

It's not that great, but it's good and they are usually found in malls and they are far better then most of the other food in the mall food court.

#213 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

@CL60: Well like I said originally I personally don't care how government defines marriage. I don't expect them allign with my morals and I don't accept their authority to define morality. Defining and enforcing rules for everyone was never how the church was intended to operate. Jesus said the kingdom of God operates like a mustard bush. Might not seem impressive to some but the mustard bush has outlived the Roman Empire.

#214 Posted by Superkenon (1388 posts) -

@BirdkeeperDan said:

@CL60: Well like I said originally I personally don't care how government defines marriage. I don't expect them allign with my morals and I don't accept their authority to define morality. Defining and enforcing rules for everyone was never how the church was intended to operate. Jesus said the kingdom of God operates like a mustard bush. Might not seem impressive to some but the mustard bush has outlived the Roman Empire.

That's precisely why so many people, Christians included, are opposed when state governments choose to define morality by banning marriages. Barring the more unreasonable folks, no one has a problem with you talking about your beliefs -- but when your ways are enforced upon others, there is understandably friction.

I'm talking as a man raised as a straight Christian, mind you. The notion that it is acceptable to exclude two people from marriage just because their lifestyle differs from ours... well, it's absurd to me. And it paints a bad picture of this religion's practices.

#215 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

@Superkenon: I understand some people interpret that government is trying to define morals; this may even be governments intention. But as I said previously I don't care. Similiar to you I don't think Christians should expect government to enforce their morals. Christians have a morality that is obviously distinct from anything government or secular society would define, I wish they would just come to grips with this and stop looking for validation.

#216 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4630 posts) -

This is a restaurant? When I heard Americans talking about it, I assumed they were butchering the English language AGAIN and were just talking about chicken fillets which was super confusing. I have learned something new today and am filled with immense pride.

#217 Posted by morrelloman (606 posts) -

What she order? Chick-fil-a? ... That shit gay.

#218 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1037 posts) -

Things americans can get worked up about...oh well, 1st world issues...

#219 Posted by nickux (1383 posts) -

The food is not worth making such a fuss over.

#220 Posted by nickystixx (180 posts) -

@Dany said:

Never had it, doubt I will ever now.

#221 Posted by Superkenon (1388 posts) -

@BirdkeeperDan: Indeed. We are far beyond the point and need for validation, methinks. It's not serving us to have big-talkers try to "forward the cause" and lobby the Government to, uhh... spread the word? Heh.

Ah well.

#222 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1002 posts) -

It's pretty good with certain things, but not amazing. 

#223 Posted by Mastercheesey (219 posts) -

Nah it's not that good.

#224 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

It's good but pricey.

#225 Posted by Draxyle (1791 posts) -

The whole, "What do you expect from a Christian owner?" thing just makes me sad. There's absolutely no reason for a Christian to be anti-gay except for arbitrary cherry picking of the bible. Why they've decided to hedge all their bets and draw a line in the sand over this issue in particular is anyone's guess. For "tradition"? That ignores the fact that the institution has already changed drastically in the last one hundred years, or even the last fifty years.

They really need to change their attitude or else they'll just be bleeding more and more members of the church over time. They are on the wrong side of history (again) and they know it.

#226 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

What about all the owners and people working at those franchises, do they have to suffer cause some rich dude shared his views.

#227 Posted by Hunter5024 (5541 posts) -

@Veektarius said:

McDonald's southern chicken sandwich is a completely viable alternative to chick-fil-a. People who will stake their reputations on Chik-fil-a are from the south.

What? What? What? Mcdonalds is terrible.

#228 Edited by CatsAkimbo (601 posts) -

They have really delicious chicken. I don't agree with their "charitable" donations, but when I give them 3 dollars, they give me an awesome sandwich. I feel a little guilty eating there now, but on the other hand, if I start worrying about what every company does with their money, I'd probably drive myself insane.

I've been getting this sense that people put way too much emphasis on "what you buy defines what you are." So if you have an iphone, you're a certain person, if you eat at chik-fil-a, you're a certain person, if you eat at whole foods, you're a certain person. I'd rather people looked at the organizations I volunteer at, they way I treat people I meet, the things I say, etc. rather than looking at my credit card bill and drawing conclusions.

#229 Posted by DanteFaustEsq (109 posts) -

@TrafalgarLaw: Yep, first world all the way how selfish of me to worry about what will happen to my potential partner should I get into an accident, or die. Or hell just having the same basic rights that most of the people I'm surrounded by have. Please kindly go bugger yourself.

#230 Posted by pizzapotomus (46 posts) -

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bigot

So if a bigot is a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief or opinion why is chick-fil-a a biggot and the mayor of Boston not? The owner of chick-fil-a just stated his opinion of marriage not that we should throw same sex couples into a lake or say...ban them from a city.

#231 Posted by felakuti4life (144 posts) -

It really depends on how nonpartisan you like your chicken. But it is a tricky situation- They donated 2 million to organizations against marriage equality, and as much as I want to blame the CEO's personal opinions for that, it means that part of your chicken money is going to anti-gay marriage organizations, something that I cannot personally reconcile. But it's pretty goddamn moist.

#232 Posted by pizzapotomus (46 posts) -

I totally get boycotting them, but calling them bigots is what I am having trouble with.

#233 Posted by IamAwesome (42 posts) -

They're good but way overpriced. Go make your own Chick-Fil-Gay sandwich, I just made it a couple of days and ago and it tasted awesome. And your money won't go into Anti-Gay marraige organizations who are hindering simple human rights.

#234 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1037 posts) -

@DanteFaustEsq said:

@TrafalgarLaw: Yep, first world all the way how selfish of me to worry about what will happen to my potential partner should I get into an accident, or die. Or hell just having the same basic rights that most of the people I'm surrounded by have. Please kindly go bugger yourself.

I thought the topic was about chicken sandwiches...How on earth did this devolve into a basic human rights topic? Pray a gay away seems like a weird way to "combat" same sex relations but at least it's far more peaceful than what happens here. Wanna know what happens here? They get beat to near death, pestered away, got called names. How some idiot spends his or her money is none of my concern, and neither should yours. Do they come at your doorsteps and try to pray you away? No...?

And why worry now if you don't even have a potential partner yet? Don't act like you are a victim now. I know you have it hard with forbidden same sex marriages and all, but try to focus on your idiot government that uses "In God we trust" as their slogan and don't (re)elect idiots this time.

#235 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2135 posts) -

@Ace829 said:

Fuck Chick-Fil-A. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Checkers. Best fast food I've ever had.

I'm not big on the burgers, but the fries are to die for.(I've never been to a proper Checkers, though, just Rally's)

#236 Posted by DanteFaustEsq (109 posts) -

@TrafalgarLaw: A lot of assumptions made in your reply most of them too idiotic to address so I'll make this little point, seems like it would be a "first world" attitude to not be concerned for something that doesn't affect me right now isn't it, also yeah gay bashing in America is so unheard of, I'll repeat my previous suggestion of buggering yourself. Also don't worry I won't waste my time replying to again. Cheers

#237 Edited by Flawed_System (388 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Flawed_System 1). Who ever said Christians are all bigots? Not me that's for sure, and yes the victim card. When I see a person trying to "cure the gay." and is openly against gay marriage and somebody calls them an idiotic bigot, they ALWAYS pull out "stop being intolerant of my opinion." and to me that's absolute bullshit, you're the one trying to take rights away from a group of people, and 2). deserve to get chastise for your beliefs. Could you imagine the backlash of suddenly black people were not allowed to get married, Muslims not allowed? Etc.

Extreme Hypothetical.

Numbers 1). and 2). contradict each other.

So you agree that every religion should be 'chastised' if it doesn't support gay marriage? What about Muslims? They don't support gay marriage or adultery. Do they deserve to be chastised as well?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jan/10/muslim-anti-gay-leaflet-hate

#238 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1037 posts) -

@DanteFaustEsq said:

@TrafalgarLaw: A lot of assumptions made in your reply most of them too idiotic to address so I'll make this little point, seems like it would be a "first world" attitude to not be concerned for something that doesn't affect me right now isn't it, also yeah gay bashing in America is so unheard of, I'll repeat my previous suggestion of buggering yourself. Also don't worry I won't waste my time replying to again. Cheers

What are you doing on a forum anyway if you can't even be bothered to have a normal debate? Always playing the victim again...

#239 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Flawed_System

@CL60 said:

@Flawed_System1). Who ever said Christians are all bigots? Not me that's for sure, and yes the victim card. When I see a person trying to "cure the gay." and is openly against gay marriage and somebody calls them an idiotic bigot, they ALWAYS pull out "stop being intolerant of my opinion." and to me that's absolute bullshit, you're the one trying to take rights away from a group of people, and 2). deserve to get chastise for your beliefs. Could you imagine the backlash of suddenly black people were not allowed to get married, Muslims not allowed? Etc.

Extreme Hypothetical.

So you agree that every religion should be 'chastised' if it doesn't support gay marriage? What about Muslims? They don't support gay marriage or adultery. Do they deserve to be chastised as well?

How is that hypocritical, your religion has literally nothing to do with why you deserve to be chastised, you hating a group of people for irrational reasons and trying to take away their rights is why you deserve to be chastised. How do you not understand this? I have nothing against religious people as long as you're not a bigoted idiot who thinks certain groups of people shouldn't have the same rights as you.
#240 Edited by Flawed_System (388 posts) -

@kumquat said:

@Flawed_System said:

Not sure what's so 'evil' about these groups...

Every one of them is anti-gay. One is even officially designated a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

So, yeah...fuck Chick-Fil-A.

The Southern Poverty Law Center...

Can you give me an example for each one of the four organizations that proves they are "anti-gay" and openly support anti-gay activities? Is it because they state that they support strengthening the family?

I am aware of the fact that the group Chick-Fil-A donated the least to is openly anti-gay.

#241 Edited by Flawed_System (388 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Flawed_System

@CL60 said:

@Flawed_System1). Who ever said Christians are all bigots? Not me that's for sure, and yes the victim card. When I see a person trying to "cure the gay." and is openly against gay marriage and somebody calls them an idiotic bigot, they ALWAYS pull out "stop being intolerant of my opinion." and to me that's absolute bullshit, you're the one trying to take rights away from a group of people, and 2). deserve to get chastise for your beliefs. Could you imagine the backlash of suddenly black people were not allowed to get married, Muslims not allowed? Etc.

Extreme Hypothetical.

How is that hypocritical, your religion has literally nothing to do with why you deserve to be chastised, you hating a group of people for irrational reasons and trying to take away their rights is why you deserve to be chastised. How do you not understand this? I have nothing against religious people as long as you're not a bigoted idiot who thinks certain groups of people shouldn't have the same rights as you

Hypothetical. Not hypocritical.

There's no animosity between Christians and gays. They disapprove of sodomy.

What you're basically saying is that you hate these groups because their views differ from yours. Wouldn't that classify you as a bigot?

What about Muslims? They don't support gay marriage or adultery. Do they deserve to be chastised as well?

#242 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Flawed_System

@CL60 said:

@Flawed_System

@CL60 said:

Extreme Hypothetical.

How is that hypocritical, your religion has literally nothing to do with why you deserve to be chastised, you hating a group of people for irrational reasons and trying to take away their rights is why you deserve to be chastised. How do you not understand this? I have nothing against religious people as long as you're not a bigoted idiot who thinks certain groups of people shouldn't have the same rights as you

What you're basically saying is that you hate these groups because their views differ from yours. Wouldn't that classify you as a bigot?

What about Muslims? They don't support gay marriage or adultery. Do they deserve to be chastised as well?

There you go again, playing victim by calling people who support gay rights bigots because, again... If your views are trying to take the rights away from another human being, you can go fuck yourself. I don't care if you're Christian, atheist, catholic, whatever. It doesn't fucking matter. When you start trying to make others inequal to you, there's a problem and deserve to be called out on it and chastised, calling bigoted assholes out on being bigoted assholes is bein a bigot to you, and that's fucking ridiculous.
#243 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3555 posts) -

@CL60 said:

There you go again, playing victim by calling people who support gay rights bigots because, again... If your views are trying to take the rights away from another human being, you can go fuck yourself. I don't care if you're Christian, atheist, catholic, whatever. It doesn't fucking matter. When you start trying to make others inequal to you, there's a problem and deserve to be called out on it and chastised, calling bigoted assholes out on being bigoted assholes is bein a bigot to you, and that's fucking ridiculous.

Homosexuals deserve the same rights that we heterosexuals enjoy. I feel that a gay man should be able to marry any woman he chooses.

*ducks thrown tomato*

Only kidding, of course. But seriously, the Bible specifically condemns homosexuality. Most of it is in the old Testament, and most of that stuff isn't followed anymore, but it does make a definitive statement about the subject. As a Christian, he also considers marriage to be a sacred union before God. It's not too hard to understand why he feels the way he does.

While you see him as trying to oppress others, I'm sure he just views his actions as trying to follow the beliefs of his religion. But no matter your view on how right or wrong he is for doing so, I do think it's a mistake to suggest that he hates gay people, which I've seen a lot of in this thread. Speaking of which...

@CL60 said:

Your religion has literally nothing to do with why you deserve to be chastised, you hating a group of people for irrational reasons and trying to take away their rights is why you deserve to be chastised.

So you're fine with religious people, but only if they ignore the parts of their religion that you don't agree with? That's like a Christian saying "oh, I'm fine with homosexuals, they just can't have sex with other homosexuals."

I understand you wanting everyone to have equal rights and all--and that's certainly a noble goal--but they're just opposing viewpoints. Many Christians view homosexuality as a sin, and--from their point of view--don't want their society to redefine the traditional definition of marriage. Many others see marriage as the loving union of two people, and feel that union shouldn't be denied to anyone. In the end, no matter who gets their way, toes are going to be stepped on.

#244 Posted by Jumbs (233 posts) -

@Flawed_System said:

@CL60 said:

@Flawed_System

@CL60 said:

Extreme Hypothetical.

Yes, they do.

But Muslims don't get together in large groups and try to take away people's liberties like Christians do (In the western world).

But nice try!

#245 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Anti gay marriage and anti-gay are the same fucking thing. No amount of semantics is going to change that. If you're okay with taking rights away from gay people, you must think gay people are beneath you. Which makes you a fucking bigot.

It's a pretty black-and-white issue.

#246 Posted by Flawed_System (388 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Flawed_System

@CL60 said:

@Flawed_System

@CL60 said:

Extreme Hypothetical.

Okay, so we've firmly established that you are intolerant of Muslims, Christians, and Jews. How is it "playing victim" when, by the definition you posted, the stance you're taking is bigoted?

#247 Edited by Flawed_System (388 posts) -

@Jumbs said:

@Flawed_System said:

@CL60 said:

@Flawed_System

@CL60 said:

Extreme Hypothetical.

Yes, they do.

But Muslims don't get together in large groups and try to take away people's liberties like Christians do (In the western world).

But nice try!

And what are we basing this assertion on? Your own convictions?

Now we're trying to define parameters? So it's okay as long as they don't do it in the Western World? Could it possibly be that Christianity is the predominant religion in the Western World, thus, more Christians mobilize when they feel their beliefs are in jeopardy? Islam is the main religion in the middle-east, applying your logic, they do in fact "get together in large groups to take away people's liberties".

Western World - http://www.back2stonewall.com/2012/07/anti-gay-muslim-group-demonstration-derby-uk-pride.html

Eastern World - http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/anti-gay-eurovision-protests-intensify-iran140512

#248 Posted by Draxyle (1791 posts) -

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@CL60 said:

Your religion has literally nothing to do with why you deserve to be chastised, you hating a group of people for irrational reasons and trying to take away their rights is why you deserve to be chastised.

So you're fine with religious people, but only if they ignore the parts of their religion that you don't agree with? That's like a Christian saying "oh, I'm fine with homosexuals, they just can't have sex with other homosexuals."

I understand you wanting everyone to have equal rights and all--and that's certainly a noble goal--but they're just opposing viewpoints. Many Christians view homosexuality as a sin, and--from their point of view--don't want their society to redefine the traditional definition of marriage. Many others see marriage as the loving union of two people, and feel that union shouldn't be denied to anyone. In the end, no matter who gets their way, toes are going to be stepped on.

The thing is, if it were only opposing viewpoints, that'd be perfectly fine (mostly). Once you start paying for legislation, advertising, and creating "camps" that go against the wishes of homosexuals, then there's a serious problem.

Homosexuals aren't fighting to take the (legal) rights away from Christians, it's the other way around. Christians do not "own" the institution of marriage either, it exists (and has always existed) with or without them.

#249 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

Yup and there is none currently near me, I miss it

#250 Posted by NMC2008 (1231 posts) -

I've had it once, will go back, it was good but nothing mind blowing, but I feel the same about Five Guys Burgers and In-&-Out.