#1 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

Lately, I've seen a lot people playing disc golf (is basically Frisbee with white dudes). I was wondering, does it qualify as a sport?

#2 Posted by Bishna (334 posts) -

I would say so, it takes skill.

Also their is a shitload of walking. If regular golf qualifies as a sport, so does Frolfing.

#3 Posted by jakob187 (21691 posts) -

Yeah. It takes skill, coordination, and you get a pretty good workout from it with all the walking and disc flinging.

#4 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Yes it's a real sport. It's also a fucking blast. It takes quite a bit of skill, just as golf does. Also does Frisbee not have white dudes?

#5 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

It's more fun than golf so I'll accept it.

#6 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre: Yes, plus dogs...

#7 Posted by FinalDasa (1909 posts) -

Hippies play it. So no.

It can be fun but I've never gotten into it. I have a friend or two who seem always to be down for some Disc Golf.

#8 Posted by TooWalrus (13240 posts) -

Yes, it's a sport. Doesn't mean it's not stupid.

#9 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

Douchebags play it

#10 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1825 posts) -

@FinalDasa said:

Hippies play it.

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

Douchebags play it

C'mon. Someone say it's a game for hipsters. We gotta finish the trifecta.

#11 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@Paul_Is_Drunk

@FinalDasa said:

Hippies play it.

Douchebags play it

Trifecta of stupid opinions. I'm none of the above and I enjoy it. Thanks OJT. And I thought we were friends.
#12 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -
@MariachiMacabre said:
@Paul_Is_Drunk

@FinalDasa said:

Hippies play it.

Douchebags play it

Trifecta of stupid opinions. I'm none of the above and I enjoy it. Thanks OJT. And I thought we were friends.
Nooooo!!  I knew my generalization would bite me in the ass :(  
#13 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

It falls into the low-exertion category like juggling and regular golf.

#14 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Disco golf should be.

#15 Posted by SmilingPig (1340 posts) -

Soon on ESPN 13 disc golf all day long.

#16 Posted by me3639 (1799 posts) -

Since moving to Minnesota about 8 years ago its almost a requirement. But there are also lot of positives, its free, a majority of the people are cool, good exercise, and there are courses everywhere in the state. I would classify it as a sport because it does take skill. Trust me as someone who played golf everyday for a long time, this takes every bit the same amount of skill, patience, timing, repetition, and luck to be good.

#17 Edited by Korolev (1715 posts) -

Is it a sport? Yeah, kind of. It does take some skill, it does take co-ordination and you get some physical activity out of it (although not much, to be honest). It's probably one of the least physically demanding sports out there, but it's a sport. If golf can be a sport, this can be a sport (although I think golf requires slightly more physical activity - you do have to swing that club after all).

So I think it's a sport, just not a particularly demanding one. I don't think it's going to light the world on fire - I don't think we're going to see major disc-golf tournaments. But then again, if golf could become popular enough to be televised.... then I suppose anything is possible.

#18 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

It's a sport by definition, just like MLG. These questions remain useless.

Just because you feel it's not manly enough to qualify doesn't stop the dictionary from disagreeing.

I will be returning to the magical land of logic now.

#19 Posted by Cisco_Kid420 (1 posts) -

YES its a real sport!! There are national and world championships

#20 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

If League of Legends is deemed a sport, then totally.

#22 Posted by SkullPanda1 (148 posts) -

I have some friends who have discs of various weight that are called out like the different clubs in golf.

#23 Posted by dudeglove (8036 posts) -

I doubt half of you have even played Disc Golf, or a round of Ultimate. If your definition of sport is an affirmative to both "am I physically exerting myself?" and "am I outside?" then yes, it's a sport. It's insane the distance some people can get with a good throw, and the best players are usually former squash/hockey/basketball players.

Whether Ultimate or Disc Golf should be officially recognized by... umm... whatever group does that recognition thing, I can assure you there are plenty of people within the respective communities who debate this matter constantly (I've met them). Unfortunately it basically suffers from the same problem of the fighting community, in that "official" recognition runs the risk of detracting from the sense of community it generates between players due to the nature of the game.

Rest assured that there are still plenty of unofficial tournaments and events, and golf club owners are only too happy to rent out their courses to groups of crazy people who will play in every element imaginable, whereas regular golfers don't enjoy playing in the rain.

#24 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2913 posts) -

Well there is a PDGA (http://www.pdga.com/faq) and there are thousands of disc golf courses to play...

So, yeah, it probably more of a sport than MLG. The next big (??) tournament is in Japan tomorrow June 5th 2014 at Nasu Highlands, Tochigi, Japan. The purse in $38K, which is not too shabby.

#25 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (192 posts) -

Yes it is a real sport.

#26 Posted by CornBREDX (5646 posts) -

Good on you guys for keeping this question answered- over and over- for over a year now.