#1 Posted by thatpinguino (1014 posts) -

The answer is yes, but fantasy football seems to exist in this weird limbo between sports and games. The journalists that cover games ignore fantasy because it is so heavily connected to the sport of football and the sports journalists that cover fantasy treat it like an extension of football rather than as a video game. However, isn't fantasy football a lot like an free to play online card game or strategy game, except rather than determining damage by dice rolls fantasy football has actual players decide the stats and points.

#2 Posted by itspizza (435 posts) -

Its about prediction, value, and competition between friends. Its the latter that makes it the most fun, drafting and trading with friends, beating them and losing.

#3 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

@thatpinguino: That's an interesting way to put, but I've also seen people actually put money into it.

In that respect, I'd say it's somewhere between gambling and one of those Facebook games, except it predates Facebook and isn't as offensive about taking your money (you're really just putting up prize money between who you're playing with) so it's cool.

#4 Edited by TheCreamFilling (1225 posts) -

All the fantasy footballs I know of require a membership fee.

#5 Edited by thatpinguino (1014 posts) -

@TheCreamFilling: Almost all places I have seen require a username or a profile, but places like nfl.com, espn, and yahoo do not charge for profiles or the game.

@EquitasInvictus: Some people will put money into it a league to um... "enhance" the competition, but the game itself is almost always free to play. But the game definitely has more depth than a facebook game, since it is not a pure time sink. There is some degree of skill required to make a good team and win a league.

#6 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -

There are free leagues and paid leagues. Most paid leagues payout a prize to whoever wins the league. I've never played in a paid league but from what I've heard paid leagues are more in depth than a free league.

#7 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

@thatpinguino: I guess I can see how people with great analytic abilities can succeed to an extent at fantasy football. I'd think there've been some pretty complicated Facebook games out there we don't hear about, though. Actually, isn't there something like a Madden/NFL facebook game?

#8 Posted by Brodehouse (9951 posts) -

Is hopscotch?

#9 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

You can set up leagues where every one invited puts in like 10 bucks and winner takes all, like a game of poker.

#10 Posted by thatpinguino (1014 posts) -

@Brodehouse: yes. I guess I should have clarified and said fantasy football is a free to play video game rather than just a free to play game.

#11 Posted by Daneian (1232 posts) -

Fantasy football is Dungeons & Dragons

#12 Posted by Sterling (2314 posts) -

Its a game yes. But not a game in the terms you are thinking. Not like a free to play video game.

Its a game in the terms of gambling. Like a game of dice, or a game of cards. Its a game of chance.

You can play for free just like online poker, but most people like to play for money.

#13 Posted by thatpinguino (1014 posts) -

@oulzac: But isn't fantasy football closer to an online collectible card game than a game of chance? There is definitely some skill in drafting, trading, waiver wire additions, and what players to start. The actual results are random to some degree, but they are not pure chance like in dice or poker.

#14 Posted by Grilledcheez (3947 posts) -

I always play in free leagues with friends on espn.

#15 Posted by Brodehouse (9951 posts) -

@thatpinguino said:

@Brodehouse: yes. I guess I should have clarified and said fantasy football is a free to play video game rather than just a free to play game.

But... what about quarters? Is that game free to play?

#16 Posted by thatpinguino (1014 posts) -

@Brodehouse: no, it costs quarters. It's in the name. Actually it is the name.

#17 Posted by Brodehouse (9951 posts) -

@thatpinguino said:

@Brodehouse: no, it costs quarters. It's in the name. Actually it is the name.

What if you added a betting component to Solitaire..?

#18 Posted by thatpinguino (1014 posts) -

@Brodehouse: Then what you have is a business plan.

#19 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

Someone needs to tell my commissioner that it's free to play!

#20 Posted by Sterling (2314 posts) -

@thatpinguino said:

@oulzac: But isn't fantasy football closer to an online collectible card game than a game of chance? There is definitely some skill in drafting, trading, waiver wire additions, and what players to start. The actual results are random to some degree, but they are not pure chance like in dice or poker.

The results are completely random. Just because a player should do good, doesn't mean they will. There are many factors and variables to the live player and the actual game being played (not the fantasy game). Which makes it chance. Just because you draft "good players", doesn't mean they will not get injured or have bad games.

#21 Edited by NickL (2246 posts) -

@oulzac said:

Its a game yes. But not a game in the terms you are thinking. Not like a free to play video game.

Its a game in the terms of gambling. Like a game of dice, or a game of cards. Its a game of chance.

You can play for free just like online poker, but most people like to play for money.

I understand, and agree, with your sentiment but I would add that, like poker, there is definitely skill involved, and if you are good at it you will consistently rise to the top.

Edit: This is personal experience btw. In 8 years of my paid league, I have never finished below third. Last season I had possibly the worst draft ever when I drafted Peyton Manning and Chris Johnson and still managed to make it to the top 3.

#22 Posted by mikey87144 (1775 posts) -

I play fantasy Baseball and Football in paid leagues. Basically it's First place gets the grand prize, second place gets twice what they put in and third just get's what they put in. Playing with money on the line certainly does add to the drama and tension of the league. Playing for just bragging rights just isn't fun for me anymore.

#23 Posted by thatpinguino (1014 posts) -

@oulzac: They are not completely random, though players do have a range of possible outputs per game it is not true randomness. Injury may be random but player performance is not. For example, Aaron Rodgers has been a top two qb every year for the past four years. Though there is some randomness, it is not a game without skill.

#24 Edited by Sterling (2314 posts) -

There is also some skill in Poker like NickL said, but poker is still considered a game of chance. A game of chance just means there are variables at play that you can not control. Its 1 part skill and 1 part luck.

Anyways, more to the point, I don't considered it a free to play game like a free to play video game.

#25 Edited by Veektarius (4838 posts) -

Fantasy football is gambling, except the actual process of deciding where to place your bets is fun enough that money isn't required as an incentive. It also gives sports networks easy articles to write that have high utility to their readers, meaning more clicks for them.

#26 Posted by Slag (4407 posts) -

before the intewebs it definitely was pay to play.

now it depends.

#27 Posted by white_sox (210 posts) -

It wouldn't be covered as a video game, because it isn't a video game. The sites used to play are essentially just large spreadsheets that autotrack stats. Fantasy football and baseball have been around before people started using sites like ESPN.

Most sports sites now have a dedicated fantasy team with podcasts, videos, and real analysts devoted to it.