Is GB also for non-US really?

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By jjnen

Okay, I admit it, just now when I'm writing I'm drunk and frustrated and also just came home from a bar.

But my point is, is it reasonable to ask from European (and Asian) members same amount of money for subscribing when they clearly loose some of the content that is live due to time zone differences. For me almoust all the amazing content that Giant Bomb (+ Whiskey Media) produces is lost because it's live and I think almoust half of the fun is when I'll be able to contribute myself by chatting live while the stuff is happening. But I think that there really is some serious loss for us European users because of the time zone difference.

Also I can say that I love almost everything that Whiskey Media produces some of the best content on the interweb, Giant Bomb and Tested to be exact I like the most. But it's just frustrating that the first time on E3 I saw some live stuff from Giant Bomb starting "reasonably early" (there are quotation marks for a reason) it's fucking members only. I can just say that I feel like no-one can deny that this is a complete bummer for a non-american fan of Giant Bomb.

I'll probably spend someday my money on subscribing, that day is probably when I have enough money, but for now I feel like they aren't giving European users enough for the same amount of cash. They have probably have addressed this problem in internal talks (I hope so at least, because everyone wants more money and only way for that is to expand)  but probably this isn't an easy case to crack.

I just want to end this post with I fucking love Giant Bomb.
(Yeah, and sorry for the misspelling and repetition of myself.)

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MysteriousBob

Yeah, it is pretty annoying having TNT start absurdly late at night.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By crusader8463

Sounds fair to me, but sadly it will never happen. Being in the Atlantic time zone the 4 hour time difference is a pain, so I can understand how bad it is for the other parts of the world. I hated needing to stay up until 5:00 am -6:00 am to watch the E3 stuff

Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Chirag4

Yeah, coming from Ireland, I definitely feel your pain.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#5  Edited By natetodamax

They've taken measures to assist people who can't watch the shows live. Every Happy Hour is archived on the site, and only members can watch the archive. So really, the only thing you are missing out on is watching it live, which really makes no difference (I don't see why you're bummed about not being able to participate in the chat. It's always filled with... "questionable" people). In addition, TNT is archived and only members can watch the archive.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Dany

@natetodamax said:

They've taken measures to assist people who can't watch the shows live. Every Happy Hour is archived on the site, and only members can watch the archive. So really, the only thing you are missing out on is watching it live, which really makes no difference (I don't see why you're bummed about not being able to participate in the chat. It's always filled with... "questionable" people). In addition, TNT is archived and only members can watch the archive.

You can go to justin.tv for their archives

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7  Edited By natetodamax

@Dany said:

@natetodamax said:

That's rarely an enjoyable experience.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ramone

I live in the UK but I'm usually up until 3am so I catch both TNT and the Happy Hour when I can be bothered. But in reality it is a US based website and they have work to do during the day so expecting them to make the happy hour early is a bit unreasonable and everything is archived now so if that's the content you are bothered about you can still watch it

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BraveToaster
@natetodamax said:

True, but I think the OP would like the opportunity to participate in TNT.
Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Chirag4
@natetodamax said:

@Dany said:

@natetodamax said:

That's rarely an enjoyable experience.

Why not?
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Aronman789
@crusader8463 said:
Sounds fair to me, but sadly it will never happen. Being in the Atlantic time zone the 4 hour time difference is a pain, so I can understand how bad it is for the other parts of the world. I hated needing to stay up until 5:00 am -6:00 am to watch the E3 stuff
I too live on the East Coast, and couldn't watch any of the E3 live stuff since I've had finals all week, so I just watched it on Justin.tv later.

Though OP, it depends on which side of the streams and such that you would like to actually be a part in. If you're looking forward to playing with the gang on TNT, then that I understand, but if you want to hang out in the chat, I would suggest you just watch it after. They don't really answer more than a handful of questions, and most of it is just the viewers talking amongst themselves so quickly that it gets hard to read the chat.
williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By williamhenry

So its Whiskey's fault they live in a different time zone than you?

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13  Edited By Yanngc33

I live in France and do not regret my paying for Whiskey media content. The Happy Hour starts at 1am on friday night which doesn't bother me. If I really want to play TNT, I'll organize myself and play with the GB crew into the wee hours of the morning. Sure, if you go to bed early, you may be missing out but you have to admit that they are doing their best to accommodate european users

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wolverine

@Rappelsiini: I really don't understand your point at all. Your complaining because live content is broadcasted during inconvenient times for you. The staff is based in the United States, do you expect them to broadcast at noon to satisfy European members?

I watch British soccer on weekends, but I don't complain that I have to wake up really fucking early if I want to watch it live. It is what it is, it would be ridiculous for me to complain that the Barclay's league is neglecting Americans.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By zero_

I bought a membership knowing that the Happy Hours start at like 7AM in my area - just means I have to wake up early to get on it ;)

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By PhatSeeJay

@DivineCC said:

So its Whiskey's fault they live in a different time zone than you?

Nah. That's your fault.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By ajamafalous

I always turn the chat off during live shows because it's at best barely tolerable and at worst fucking embarrassing.

@Axxol said:

@natetodamax said:

True, but I think the OP would like the opportunity to participate in TNT.

TNT doesn't require a membership to participate in so I don't really think comes into play.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@Wolverine said:

@Rappelsiini: I really don't understand your point at all. Your complaining because live content is broadcasted during inconvenient times for you. The staff is based in the United States, do you expect them to broadcast at noon to satisfy European members?

I watch British soccer on weekends, but I don't complain that I have to wake up really fucking early if I want to watch it live. It is what it is, it would be ridiculous for me to complain that the Barclay's league is neglecting Americans.

I don't think anybody's blaming them for being in the US.  But do you really think it's fair to be asked to pay the same price, when for most people outside of America or Canada, it's impossible to enjoy the live events, etc?  You may have the same problem watching certain British things, but are you paying specifically for them?

Personally, I don't really have a problem with it.  I can stay up for Happy Hour and catch TNT when they put it up again on the site, but I can see why some people would feel a little angry over this.  PVP sports events, for example, are usually a lot cheaper over here because you'd have to stay up really late just to watch them.  Until quite recently, we actually got a lot of the WWE events for free.

SquadBroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By SquadBroken

I'm in the UK and I prefer to download the archives of TNT and Happy Hour. That way I can watch them on the big screen through the xbox and skip through any boring bits. Also my main reason for being a member is to get the mobile version of the site.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vexxan

It's always more fun to watch it live but some night I'm just too tired to stay up and watch it. Still worth every penny thou.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Wolverine

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Wolverine said:

I don't think anybody's blaming them for being in the US. But do you really think it's fair to be asked to pay the same price, when for most people outside of America or Canada, it's impossible to enjoy the live events, etc? You may have the same problem watching certain British things, but are you paying specifically for them?

Personally, I don't really have a problem with it. I can stay up for Happy Hour and catch TNT when they put it up again on the site, but I can see why some people would feel a little angry over this. PVP sports events, for example, are usually a lot cheaper over here because you'd have to stay up really late just to watch them. Until quite recently, we actually got a lot of the WWE events for free.

Yes, I feel that everyone should have to pay the same price. All though it may be inconvenient you still have access to the same content. You also still get access to the other perks of being a premium member (for example: the mobile site and HD downloads). Maybe I'm not paying specifically to watch Barclay's, but your also not being forced to pay for the premium membership to enjoy 95% of what this site has to offer. It is completely optional.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By StaticFalconar

Having the happy hour and tnt at 8 in the morning doesn't seem like a good deal to me just because it would make your life better. And all that E3 stuff is really at the mercy of E3 itself. You know there would have been no way to get all those guests on if it was held at any other time. 

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can understand your problem, as I live in England and the timing is difficult at points. But they can't do an awful lot about it and I'm sure they've talked about how to make it as available for everyone as they can.

sparks50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sparks50

I'm very happy to watch TNT or HH during breakfast the day after, especially now that they archive them on site.

Thats just the reality you have to deal with when you get your entertainment from the other side of the earth.

I do wish us international user could get a choice not to get the shirt though. for me it was just paying a whole lot of shipping, for a product I didn't want.

positrark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By positrark

I can understand the concern, but at the same time these are problems that have no reasonable solution. People live in different time zones all over the world, so no matter when something happens, the time at which it happens will be unfortunate for someone.

Producing something live and have it happen during the day for everyone is physically impossible. It is always 3am somewhere, and by archiving the content they give people the chance to watch the content whenever they desire. I'm European and really don't see the problem. This seems like complaining the winter is cold, since your complaint seems to boil down to why does the world have to have different time zones.

Avatar image for theblindchessman
TheBlindChessman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheBlindChessman

Apart from The Happy Hour, the live stuff is free. 

You talk about TNT, but TNT Live is free. You have to pay to watch archives on the site, but once it's in the archive the timezone argument goes away. 

The thing you're complaining about is already free. No one is charged for it.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Move to the same time zone. 

Problem solved.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Wolverine said:

I know you are from America where everything has a brand, but just call it the English Premier League. They aren't paying you to say their name.

I have no gripe about the time zones. I do miss a lot of the TNT and the Happy Hours but I have little motivation to participate in them and they are all archived. I think people are missing the point of the OP, he's not saying Whiskey should rearrange it's times for people in other time zones, what he is saying is that they should offer a discount to people who have to watch the shows at ridiculous hours.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By alternate

It is $5 a month and you want a discount because you can't watch the Happy Hour live?  (TNT is irrelevant as it is a free show).  Some people. 

Maybe Whiskey should price it like games hardware and charge us Europeans 30% more - see how you squeal then little piggy ;-)

VirtuaXav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By VirtuaXav

I'm from Melbourne and I'm a member, I think we get a pretty good deal down here.

TNT is on Friday mornings for us, with the happy hour on Saturday mornings. All the E3 live shows have been around lunch time going until roughly 5pm.

Being a Uni student, these times fit almost perfectly into my schedule. I can totally understand why some other fans not living in the U.S. might be frustrated though.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jimbo

Actually you had to pay more for a subscription outside of the US, because you had to pay $10 extra for delivery of a shirt you might not have even wanted (I didn't).

The time-zone issue is pretty much unavoidable, but I don't know why the members-only radio show thing isn't archived. As I recall, that was intended as a 'replacement' for one of the Happy Hour shows being made free every month (content which I believe members have already paid for), yet I can't even listen to it because it doesn't start until silly o'clock and isn't archived.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By Sooty

They can't do anything, maybe if the time difference was only an hour or two they could shift things around but San Francisco is like, 7 or 8 hours behind the UK.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By Sambambo

Just download the episodes, watching it live does not really add anything.

MySpaghet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MySpaghet

I suppose it comes down to how much you value the content, I really enjoy being able to download the stuff and watch it in my own time, the only thing you miss out on is the chat which often goes very fast, I think it's definitely worth the money even though I live in Australia

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer to see it as paying them for what they do rather than what I get out of it.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Funkydupe

I'd watch European Giant Bomb live shows if it meant Gary Whitta and Paul Barnett spearheading the project. 

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By zeforgotten

Sometimes I watch TNT or the Happy Houir live, sometimes I don't. it's not like I'm missing anything important by not watching it live, the chat is a cesspool of fucktards most of the time anyway. Except when there's only 100-200 chatting, after that it gets fucked so It's not big deal really. Living in Europe doesn't seem to be a problem for me though, I can watch the stuff live, go to bed after that and still get up in the morning and go to work

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Portis

I don't know, I miss almost all of the Live stuff because of work. I still feel like I'm getting my moneys worth. And honestly, the chat during live streams is almost useless anyway because it gets blindingly fast, so I wonder if you're really missing out on that.