#1 Posted by CastroCasper (1301 posts) -

For about 3 weeks now I have had my desktop computer plugged into my HD LCD TV and it also sits right next to it. However, yesterday I noticed these like scan lines going up my TV on any input and today they are much worse.There are about 6 lines on the screen at all times. Not super noticable but distracting. I know that having speakers by a tv can mess with the picture, but what about a computer?

Thanks

#2 Edited by Jrad (623 posts) -

The likely culprit is poorly insulated wiring -- electrical interference. I've never heard of speakers messing with (modern) TVs, either. Magnets have no effect whatsoever on non-CRT TVs, though given that most people think magnets screw up anything electrical it's not surprising a myth like that exists.

See if the scanlines go away when you turn off whatever else is plugged in nearby.

Edit: Forgot to mention this, but if you're connecting your PC to your TV using VGA (unlikely in this day and age) scanlines are not unexpected.

#3 Posted by damnboyadvance (4060 posts) -
@Jrad said:

The likely culprit is poorly insulated wiring -- electrical interference. I've never heard of speakers messing with (modern) TVs, either. Magnets have no effect whatsoever on non-CRT TVs, though given that most people think magnets screw up anything electrical it's not surprising a myth like that exists.

See if the scanlines go away when you turn off whatever else is plugged in nearby.

Edit: Forgot to mention this, but if you're connecting your PC to your TV using VGA (unlikely in this day and age) scanlines are not unexpected.

What this guy said. Unplug stuff, and see if you can find the culprit.