Is it just me or do the youtube and twitch apps on ps4 kinda suck?

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

For some reason, the twitch and youtube apps are pixelated messes on my ps4, pretty much never reaching 720p (or near source quality on twitch). I was starting to think it's my internet, but HBO and netflix run flawlessly on the same ps4, only taking about a minute before it's at full HD. So has anyone else noticed this with these two video apps? I think I'm honestly better off just hooking up a laptop to my TV with an hdmi cord at this point since I've never had trouble viewing twitch with source quality that way.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I had issues on YouTube where certain videos would decide to only play in 240 or something when it should have been hd. The annoying part was that there didn't seem to be any pattern or way to fix it aside constantly quitting and trying to reload.

At least it's better than the 3DS YouTube app. That is truly the worst I have used.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ShaggE

Are there *any* good Youtube apps anywhere for anything? Seems like I've never used one that didn't have some terrible flaw somewhere. It's especially bad on my phone, since even trying to watch it in the browser is a diceroll of random encode errors, and every YT app in the WP8 store is garbage.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Twitch in particular never works well for me.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

On my shitty wifi Twitch runs terribly. I've caught it switching back and forth between qualities. Most of the time its a hitchy mess. Crunchyroll also has this problem on weak wifi. Youtube works fine ,but basically stuck at 360p. When I actually use a cable, then they all work well. I just wish every video app had a quality settings.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Wemibelle

Twitch apps are terrible on everything I've tried. The PS3 app is a bit buggy, but it at least works most of the time. The Amazon app, however, is a complete piece of garbage. It crashes regularly, often lists ended streams for long after they are over, and has a clunky interface.

Whoever Twitch has making those apps is just bad at designing them, apparently. You'd almost be better off just watching Twitch through a browser app.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get brief spots of pixel madness on twitch occasionally, but youtube works great for me. Even on my garbage wifi.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I haven't used the PS4 Youtube app, but the PS3 and 360 versions are terrible. The only way I was able to use them the way i wanted too was to pair it with my phone and do all my searching/subscriptions on that and play it to the app.

The old old Youtube app that used to be bundled with IOS devices was the only one that worked halfway decent.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: The Xbox One Youtube App is pretty good. Not perfect, but generally pretty good. I haven't tried it on PS4 since I do most of my media watching on my Xbox.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never had major problems with youtube on ps4 or xbone.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never had major problems with youtube on ps4 or xbone.

Same here. They occasionally freak out and crash but video quality has always been top-notch.

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't speak for the PS4 versions, but I haven't had any video quality issues with the Xbox One versions of the youtube and twitch apps. I would assume the PS4 versions are pretty similar if not identical.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Video quality-wise I find both are totally fine 99% of the time. Navigating them can be annoying, sometimes its easier to just use my phone to find videos for YouTube and hit the little "play this on my PS4" icon thing.

The Twitch app, however, has straight up crashed on me multiple times.

mathj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

youtube always works fine, twitch used to not work but for some reason now it always does, but lets talk about HULU! that app is so fucked its unbelievable

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No video playback issues, navigation will always be an issue without mouse and keyboard or touch screen, but this is offset with the ability to browse kn your phone, I think the chrome app is more than capable of doing that and I'm happy with that as a compromise as it just feels like a remote.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I've never had any video playback issues, but the interface is real rotten for Youtube. That, and Twitch is kind of insane due to literally being the same as the Xbox One app

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I don't use twitch, but I use the youtube app all the time without much issue. It's how I watch Giant Bomb videos. I've had a couple times where it would play in 240p, but it would fix itself if I just exited.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

@shagge: The Xbox One Youtube App is pretty good. Not perfect, but generally pretty good. I haven't tried it on PS4 since I do most of my media watching on my Xbox.

Agreed. It has a few quirks (can't really navigate through playlists), but otherwise I think it runs pretty well.

Oddly enough I too, don't use my ps4 for media watching. I've always found Xbox consoles better for that. I run Netflix, Use Microsoft "Edge" (their new branded IE) to watch GB Premium Content and Youtube on Xbox One, never PS4.

Both get used for games, but I think the idea of the "One" media centre almost worked.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Evilsbane

@bigsocrates said:

After the last update its WAY better but two patches ago the Guide Popout menu ran incredibly slow if you had more than a few subs thank god that is fixed, the scrubber on this new version is much better, the Twitch app works okay the ads can go nuts sometimes and quality drops happen randomly that don't happen on PC but it works.