#1 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -

The Star Spangled Banner is kind of a lame national anthem. Plus its not even really an American song, its ripped off of an old British drinking song. I think we should come up with something new, and a little more bad ass. I mean look at Russias national anthem, now thats how you do it. If we had a national anthem like that we wouldn't have to worry about horrible pop singers ruining it before every sporting event. 

Hell, Canada has a better national anthem than we do.

#2 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -
@Feanor said:
" Hell, Canada has a better national anthem than we do. "
Damn right we do. 
#3 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6993 posts) -
#4 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I wouldn't go as far as saying Canada has a better national anthem...
#5 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

Is this better?
#6 Edited by MattyFTM (14393 posts) -

Look on the bright side - your national anthem is better than the UK's national anthem. Ours is pathetic. It's complete drivel. National anthems need to be upbeat and enegetic. God Save Our King/Queen sounds like something that should be played at a funeral. And also, the 3rd verse is all about killing the Scottish, and Scotland is part of the UK!!!!!!! How's that for a dumb ass national anthem?!?!?!

#7 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -
@Ace829 said:
"  
  Is this better? "
I really wish this was our anthem....
#8 Posted by LiquidS (971 posts) -
@Feanor said:
"Hell, Canada has a better national anthem than we do. "

Hell Ya!
#9 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -

Can we all agree that Russia has the best?     

#10 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" Look on the bright side - your national anthem is better than the UK's national anthem. Ours is pathetic. It's complete drivel. "
France has a good one... now that I think of it.
#11 Posted by Bones8677 (3248 posts) -
@Feanor: Do you speak Russian or do you just like their anthem because it sounds nice?
#12 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

I have to say, my favorite national anthem would have to be the Netherlands.

#13 Posted by StarFoxA (5158 posts) -
@Feanor: You communist.
#14 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

Do you know why you don't like it? Because you hear it all the time. And you're used to it, so it's boring. If you took and objective view you'd realize how similar all national anthems are to each other. There's nothing wrong with the Star Spangled Banner, just stale because we've heard it for our entire lives.

#15 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -

i do really love Russia's Canada (my current place of residence) is also very good

#16 Posted by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" Look on the bright side - your national anthem is better than the UK's national anthem. Ours is pathetic. It's complete drivel. National anthems need to be upbeat and enegetic. God Save Our King/Queen sounds like something that should be played at a funeral. And also, the 3rd verse is all about killing the Scottish, and Scotland is part of the UK!!!!!!! How's that for a dumb ass national anthem?!?!?! "
Hey, at least it isn't France's, The Marseillaise is all about bloodshed and going to arms and killing the enemy. A bit awkward at the global family reunions.
#17 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -
@davidwitten22: Well yes, that is a major reason. Its gotten to the point where people don't even respect it anymore. People don't remove their caps or even really pay attention to it. Also people seem to have forgotten that you are suppose to sing along to the national anthem whenever its played.
#18 Posted by Clinkz (1118 posts) -
@Feanor said:
" The Star Spangled Banner is kind of a lame national anthem. Plus its not even really an American song, its ripped off of an old British drinking song. I think we should come up with something new, and a little more bad ass. I mean look at Russias national anthem, now thats how you do it. If we had a national anthem like that we wouldn't have to worry about horrible pop singers ruining it before every sporting event.  Hell, Canada has a better national anthem than we do. "
*Sigh* Another Russian troll.
#19 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5145 posts) -

I assume you ment to say our, but not everyone is american (shocking I know), but I always thought the american anthem wasnt all that great.

@Ace829
said:

" 
  Is this better? "

Fuck yes.
#20 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

Is it just me or does this thread suck?

#21 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -
@Clinkz: lol what? I am American, and in American I have a right to not like my national anthem. 
#22 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" Look on the bright side - your national anthem is better than the UK's national anthem. Ours is pathetic. It's complete drivel. National anthems need to be upbeat and enegetic. God Save Our King/Queen sounds like something that should be played at a funeral. And also, the 3rd verse is all about killing the Scottish, and Scotland is part of the UK!!!!!!! How's that for a dumb ass national anthem?!?!?! "
Said it perfectly. 

Should be this: 

And yes, I do mean to post the Vangelis version.
#23 Posted by jakob187 (21676 posts) -
@Feanor said:
" The Star Spangled Banner is kind of a lame national anthem. Plus its not even really an American song, its ripped off of an old British drinking song."
Well...I mean, TECHNICALLY...aren't we just old British folk that immigrated to a new land? 

Soooooooooooooooo...yeeeeeeeah...
#24 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -
@Feanor said:
" @davidwitten22: Well yes, that is a major reason. Its gotten to the point where people don't even respect it anymore. People don't remove their caps or even really pay attention to it. Also people seem to have forgotten that you are suppose to sing along to the national anthem whenever its played. "
The worst part is when you're at a baseball game and the person singing it takes 20 damn minutes because they slow it down so much. That's my gripe with it. There needs to be an established tempo so jackasses don't stretch it out for their prima-donna bullshit.
#25 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -
@jakob187: Not really. Most people living in this country are not from British decent.
#26 Posted by Dannoob (20 posts) -

#27 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -
@Mr_Skeleton said:

" I assume you ment to say our, but not everyone is american (shocking I know), but I always thought the american anthem wasnt all that great.

@Ace829

said:

" 

Is this better? "
Fuck yes. "
FUCK YEAH.
#28 Posted by Heartagram (1182 posts) -

Amerika by Rammstein was always my fav.

#29 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -
@Feanor said:

" Can we all agree that Russia has the best?     

"
Am I a bad person for thinking of that as the Modern Warfare song when the terrorists win?
#30 Edited by FireBurger (1479 posts) -
@Feanor said:

"
Russia isn't the USSR anymore, and I'm pretty sure they don't use that anthem anymore either.

EDIT: Though, yes, that anthem is my favorite.
#31 Posted by Pazy (2587 posts) -

Scotland has no recognised national anthem, though many songs are held up and used in its position, and so I would put forward this and my preferred national anthem.

#32 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -
@FireBurger:   
  Nope. they still use it.
#33 Posted by s10129107 (1183 posts) -

Our national anthem is awesome.  Its my favorite of all the anthems i've ever heard.  

#34 Posted by Nephrahim (1147 posts) -

I don't get why every critique of American Patriotic Music needs to be considered trolling. 

It is not that great a song.  But then, most countries have bad national anthems, so meh.

#35 Posted by s10129107 (1183 posts) -

In what context is our national anthem "not that great a song"?  What do you expect.   I think it's a great national anthem.  The music progresses well, it has an emotional and proud tone, it's graceful and it tells a great story.  What do you consider to be a great Anthem if not the USA's?

#36 Edited by MattyFTM (14393 posts) -
@FireBurger: I believe that anthem is still in use, but it was only introduced towards the end of the Soviet rule. I'm fairly sure that for the majority of the USSR's lifetime they used The Internationale, which is a far better song than that one:

#37 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -

Honestly I think it just comes down to the fact that Russia has always had great composers to pool from.

#38 Posted by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -

The USA's anthem is only done justice by a choir.

I hate the second verse ("God", "conquer we must").
#39 Posted by dougmansion (139 posts) -
#40 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -
@Feanor said:
" @FireBurger:   
  Nope. they still use it. "
Always reminds me of Hunt for the Red October 

2 pings only Vasili
#41 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@Feanor said:
"
I was about to post that. Also, the German national anthem needs a mention: 

#42 Posted by J0n3s1 (295 posts) -
@Ace829 said:

"  

Is this better? "
Fuck Yeah! I lolled!
#43 Posted by DEllen (149 posts) -
@Pazy: I'm pretty sure that "O Flower of Scotland" is the official national anthem.
#44 Posted by jkz (4032 posts) -
@Ace829 said:
"  
  Is this better? "
I've always thought that this better fits the American personality than our current anthem.
#45 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5260 posts) -

Fuck you terrorist! If you don't like then you can get out!

Seriously though...I never really put much thought into it. This thread has certainly turned educational with all these anthems and whatnot.

#46 Posted by J0n3s1 (295 posts) -

Just skip to 0:50.. There is some bullshit in the begining which i can't make any sense of..
#47 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

Most anthems completely suck. Bunch of outdated songs promoting outdated values and morals such as butchering your enemies and pledging allegiances to people and causes that simply no longer exist. 

The Dutch anthem for example talks about a German dude from France who pledges allegiance to the Spanish king. It's all a bunch of nonsense.

#48 Posted by Mikemcn (6989 posts) -
@DanielJW said:
" @Feanor said:
" Hell, Canada has a better national anthem than we do. "
Damn right we do.  "
O canada..... our home and native land.

Now Im going to have that in my head all day, and its the 4th of July! Im a traitor to my own country.
#49 Posted by natetodamax (19208 posts) -
@Feanor said:
"
I really dislike the sound of the singing in that song. Just sounds like a bunch of dudes in a bar said "hey, let's sing!"
#50 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" @Feanor said:
" The Star Spangled Banner is kind of a lame national anthem. Plus its not even really an American song, its ripped off of an old British drinking song."
Well...I mean, TECHNICALLY...aren't we just old British folk that immigrated to a new land?  Soooooooooooooooo...yeeeeeeeah... "
You're more European actually.