Is it just me or does out National Anthem suck?

• 150 results
DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By DCFGS3

Australia's is the worst, hands down. Anybody heard the translated Chinese national anthem? That one is insane.

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By pbhawks45

I think America the Beautiful should be the national anthem in my opinion. It's shorter, easier to sing, and it just sounds better. 

I mean, how can you not get teary eyed listening to that?
PenguinDoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By PenguinDoctor
@Feanor:
To be fair, most of our songs are just ripped off of the British Pub.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#104  Edited By toowalrus
@DCFGS3 said:

" Australia's is the worst, hands down. Anybody heard the translated Chinese national anthem? That one is insane. "

Is it worse than New Zealand's? (I know you Aussies don't consider New Zealand a country anyway, but just pretend.) I had to learn it when I lived there as a kid... for two years. You had to sing the same thing in two languages, English and Maori. Every assembly, every Rugby game, God I hate... No, I actually kinda like it, in a weird way.

Edit: Just listened on youtube, you're right, it's terrible. Sorry.
NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105  Edited By NathHaw
@pbhawks45 said:
" I think America the Beautiful should be the national anthem in my opinion. It's shorter, easier to sing, and it just sounds better. 

I mean, how can you not get teary eyed listening to that? "
This reminds me of The Sandlot.  ;)  Great rendition of the song and a great part of that movie.
habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#106  Edited By habster3
@Feanor:
Agreed; we should have an extreme metal song as our national anthem, obviously.
ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#107  Edited By ATrevelan
@pbhawks45: I think being easier to sing is the biggest thing going for it. Compared to other countries' anthems, the Star Spangled Banner requires a ridiculously wide vocal range to even get the note--I love being in a crowd when they get to the "land of the free." It always makes me wince a little bit. 

The only reason most Americans know it is because we've heard it so many times it's become familar. I've had to teach it to a bunch of kids before who'd never really sung it and it was a real grind. These kids could learn 18th century choral pieces with strong melodies no problem, but the anthem was an issue because it doesn't exactly act the way a normal ear would expect it to.
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#108  Edited By DanielJW
@keyhunter said:
" @DanielJW said:
" @Feanor said:
" Hell, Canada has a better national anthem than we do. "
Damn right we do.  "
The Canadian National anthem is garbage. It stands for communism. "
Ha!
Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Th3_James

I hate the Canadian anthem, it also pisses me off when you hear the half french half english version. Fuck Quebec.

Sick_J0ke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#110  Edited By Sick_J0ke
@emkeighcameron: I'm with you on that one. And all of the national anthems sound similar, just a bunch of orchestra. 
gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By gunslingerNZ

I agree, my favourite national anthem is Germany's.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#112  Edited By sjschmidt93
@Feanor said:

Plus its not even really an American song, its ripped off of an old British drinking song.

What? Can't say I've heard that from anyone... ever. It's based on a poem... from that guy.... during that event....

EDIT: After using Wikipedia it's Francis Scott Key during the Battle of Fort McHenry.
pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#113  Edited By pbhawks45
@ATrevelan: Agree with you completely. But, when a singer has the talent/vocal range to pull it off, it's simply amazing to listen to. I thought both Jordin Sparks and Jennfier Hudson both did really good jobs singing the anthem in the past few Super Bowls.  And while a little rougher, I really liked Demi Lovato's rendition during the Cowboys/Seahawks thanksgiving game a few years back. For someone who was 15 at the time, she was awesome.
DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By DCFGS3
@TooWalrus said:

" @DCFGS3 said:

" Australia's is the worst, hands down. Anybody heard the translated Chinese national anthem? That one is insane. "

Is it worse than New Zealand's? (I know you Aussies don't consider New Zealand a country anyway, but just pretend.) I had to learn it when I lived there as a kid... for two years. You had to sing the same thing in two languages, English and Maori. Every assembly, every Rugby game, God I hate... No, I actually kinda like it, in a weird way.  Edit: Just listened on youtube, you're right, it's terrible. Sorry. "
Yep, your's is miles better. A lot of people say how bad their's is and that they need a new one, but Australia actually needs a new one.

I for one think "I am Australian" by the Seekers would be the best;

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#115  Edited By KarlPilkington

Ours is about the motherfucking Queen. We're so 18th Century.

TehJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By TehJames
@keyhunter said:
" @DanielJW said:
" @Feanor said:
" Hell, Canada has a better national anthem than we do. "
Damn right we do.  "
The Canadian National anthem is garbage. It stands for communism. "
Communism...FUCK YE!
stokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#117  Edited By stokes

Jimi Hendrix's rendition of the song is the best.  Also, loving the Star Spangled Banner is just one of those things that means a lot more to Americans that take pride in their country.  And even though we've done some terrible shit, there is still a lot to love about this country, just like most all other countries.

stokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By stokes

Also, maybe you haven't heard the right person sing the Star Spangled Banner.  Give this a listen.  It's got an alternative set of lyrics that some may connect with better.  Brings a tear to my eye. 

bosshog70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By bosshog70
@Feanor: The American National Anthem  is one of my favourites, what I don't like is how it's been hi-jacked as the song any soulful diva has to sing and which one can hold the longest notes, etc. A countries anthem should be something everyone can sing along to, not watch a singer perform it
lutonhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By lutonhatter
@MattyFTM said:
" And also, the 3rd verse is all about killing the Scottish, and Scotland is part of the UK!!!!!!! How's that for a dumb ass national anthem?!?!?! "

That is the best bit.
TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By TotalEklypse

just change it to that milkshake song. problem solved. 

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By FreakAche

As a Canadian, I can tell you that your national anthem is way cooler than ours.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The American national anthem sounds fine when it is played by a band. It sounds horrific when it's sung by a lone singer who extends all of the words way too long. 

Also, as someone from England, I'm obliged to feel insulted when you sing about killing my ancestors, just like the Scottish are obliged to feel insulted when we sing about killing them in our national anthem (not that we ever do but never mind).  I'm not insulted, it's just funny to troll people watching Nascar online in a chatroom.  

Bill Bailey should choose the national anthem: 

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#124  Edited By Suicrat
@Feanor said:

" The Star Spangled Banner is kind of a lame national anthem. Plus its not even really an American song, its ripped off of an old British drinking song. I think we should come up with something new, and a little more bad ass. I mean look at Russias national anthem, now thats how you do it. If we had a national anthem like that we wouldn't have to worry about horrible pop singers ruining it before every sporting event.  Hell, Canada has a better national anthem than we do. "

Okay, dude. You're crazy.

"O Canada. We Stand on guard for thee.
True patriot love, in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts, we see thee rise.
The true North strong and free.
From far and wide, O Canada.
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land
Glorious and Free.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee."

versus

"O say can you see? By the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed, at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night, that our flag was still there.
O say does that star spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave?"

Like dude, your anthem talks about the light of explosions being shed on your flag as proof your nation stood strong against the British Empire.
Your anthem talks about a existential struggle to declare one's own identity, as distinct from the old yoke of Europe. MY country's anthem, on the other hand tells you three times that Canadians will stand on guard for, well, Canada. Doesn't seem so objectionable, does it? No, it doesn't, but it's also not very poetic.

Also, the rest of your anthem is pretty badass too. The Canadian anthem may be many things, but one thing it is not is 'badass'.
JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By JokerSmilez
@Suicrat said:

" @Feanor said:

" The Star Spangled Banner is kind of a lame national anthem. Plus its not even really an American song, its ripped off of an old British drinking song. I think we should come up with something new, and a little more bad ass. I mean look at Russias national anthem, now thats how you do it. If we had a national anthem like that we wouldn't have to worry about horrible pop singers ruining it before every sporting event.  Hell, Canada has a better national anthem than we do. "

Okay, dude. You're crazy.  "O Canada. We Stand on guard for thee. True patriot love, in all thy sons command. With glowing hearts, we see thee rise. The true North strong and free. From far and wide, O Canada. We stand on guard for thee.God keep our land Glorious and Free. O Canada, we stand on guard for thee. O Canada, we stand on guard for thee."  versus  "O say can you see? By the dawn's early light, What so proudly we hailed, at the twilight's last gleaming?Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fightO'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming? And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air, Gave proof through the night, that our flag was still there. O say does that star spangled banner yet waveO'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave?"  Like dude, your anthem talks about the light of explosions being shed on your flag as proof your nation stood strong against the British Empire. Your anthem talks about a existential struggle to declare one's own identity, as distinct from the old yoke of Europe. MY country's anthem, on the other hand tells you three times that Canadians will stand on guard for, well, Canada. Doesn't seem so objectionable, does it? No, it doesn't, but it's also not very poetic.  Also, the rest of your anthem is pretty badass too. The Canadian anthem may be many things, but one thing it is not is 'badass'. "
It's all about context...

captainfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By captainfish

The French version of O Canada is more bad-ass than the English version. Carrying swords and crosses and such.

Anyway the American national anthem is pretty cool, I don't see what the issue is. It is kinda hard to sing.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#127  Edited By damswedon
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Suicrat
@JokerSmilez said:

" @Suicrat said:

" @Feanor said:

Okay, dude. You're crazy.  "O Canada. We Stand on guard for thee. True patriot love, in all thy sons command. With glowing hearts, we see thee rise. The true North strong and free. From far and wide, O Canada. We stand on guard for thee.God keep our land Glorious and Free. O Canada, we stand on guard for thee. O Canada, we stand on guard for thee."  versus  "O say can you see? By the dawn's early light, What so proudly we hailed, at the twilight's last gleaming?Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fightO'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming? And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air, Gave proof through the night, that our flag was still there. O say does that star spangled banner yet waveO'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave?"  Like dude, your anthem talks about the light of explosions being shed on your flag as proof your nation stood strong against the British Empire. Your anthem talks about a existential struggle to declare one's own identity, as distinct from the old yoke of Europe. MY country's anthem, on the other hand tells you three times that Canadians will stand on guard for, well, Canada. Doesn't seem so objectionable, does it? No, it doesn't, but it's also not very poetic.  Also, the rest of your anthem is pretty badass too. The Canadian anthem may be many things, but one thing it is not is 'badass'. "
It's all about context...

"

Yeah, that kind of uproarious crowd support is a great motivator. Landed you guys the number 1 overall draft pick! Wait a minute...
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#129  Edited By citizenkane

Yeah, it's okay.  Definitely not as cool as some of the old European anthems, especially Germany and Russia.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By JokerSmilez
@Suicrat: 
Actually, I'm a Toronto fan. We traded away our second overall pick, thank you very much (and haven't been to the Cup finals since '67).
Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Djeffers03
@MattyFTM: Yep, it's pretty shocking really. The french national anthem is probably the best, along with the Jamaican one ;)
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#132  Edited By Marz

mexico anthem > canada > usa   :)

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Suicrat
@JokerSmilez said:
" @Suicrat: 
Actually, I'm a Toronto fan. We traded away our second overall pick, thank you very much (and haven't been to the Cup finals since '67). "
You don't have to inform me. Your words (and the pain implicit therein) are why you'll see me on Bathurst Street in a Sharks jersey.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By BraveToaster
@Feanor said:
" Can we all agree that Russia has the best?     
"
How can I say that they have the best anthem if I don't know what the hell they're singing? 
ToadRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By ToadRunner

Hooray for idiot trolls dismissing the anthems of nations just to be disagreeable!

everyone has their own opinion, i personally get the same vibe from hearing all national anthems.  

poster is obviously a troll, thread should be locked

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By BraveToaster
Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Kbm600
@Ace829 said:

"  

Is this better? "
FUCK YEAH.
apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#138  Edited By apathylad

Has Godwin's law been applied yet? 

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Damian
@Suicrat: You got the Oh Canada lyrics wrong. 

"Oh Canada, our home and Native land"
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Suicrat
@Damian said:
" @Suicrat: You got the Oh Canada lyrics wrong. 

"Oh Canada, our home and Native land" "
Shit, you're right. It's been so long since I've actually listened to it that I forgot what went where.

That's what I get for copying and pasting from the internet.

However, even with that one changed lyric, I stand by my initial point. It is our anthem that sucks.
Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Damian
@Suicrat: Just clarifying. I don't much care for any anthem, especially the one I've been most subjected to.
mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By mattbosten

You put virtually any anthem in the context of a large sporting event and they're all pretty epic. Nothing quite like singing your national anthem with thousands of your fellow countryman.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By MiniPato
@ToadRunner said:
" Hooray for idiot trolls dismissing the anthems of nations just to be disagreeable!  everyone has their own opinion, i personally get the same vibe from hearing all national anthems.    poster is obviously a troll, thread should be locked  "
4th of July was only yesterday, people still feel like bashing America. Oh wait, people always feel like bashing America. We can't have one day can we?
Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MiniPato said:
" @ToadRunner said:
" Hooray for idiot trolls dismissing the anthems of nations just to be disagreeable!  everyone has their own opinion, i personally get the same vibe from hearing all national anthems.    poster is obviously a troll, thread should be locked  "
4th of July was only yesterday, people still feel like bashing America. Oh wait, people always feel like bashing America. We can't have one day can we? "
Is saying you think the overly wrought national anthem is well, overly wrought really bashing America? I love America! But there's a reason no one ever sings the other verses because yikes.
belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#145  Edited By belaraphon

i've never been particularly patriotic, or served in the military. but when i hear the star spangled banner i put my hand over my heart and sing the lyrics. we have an awesome national anthem!

Ghostfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Ghostfish
@Feanor said:
"Plus its not even really an American song, its ripped off of an old British drinking song."
Our country is ripped off from an old British colony, so I think the anthem is perfectly appropriate.
Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Kiemoe

Looks like I'm gonna need to be the one to post this:

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By MiniPato
@CrossTheAtlantic said:
" @MiniPato said:
" @ToadRunner said:
4th of July was only yesterday, people still feel like bashing America. Oh wait, people always feel like bashing America. We can't have one day can we? "
Is saying you think the overly wrought national anthem is well, overly wrought really bashing America? I love America! But there's a reason no one ever sings the other verses because yikes. "
I just wanted an excuse to express my frustration.
Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MiniPato said:
" @CrossTheAtlantic said:
" @MiniPato said:
" @ToadRunner said:
Is saying you think the overly wrought national anthem is well, overly wrought really bashing America? I love America! But there's a reason no one ever sings the other verses because yikes. "
I just wanted an excuse to express my frustration. "
Fair enough! And you know why you get to do that? CAUSE FREEDOM AND BBQ SAUCE MOTHERFUCKERS. SUCK IT. etcetcetc
one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#150  Edited By one_2nd
@Kiemoe said:
"     Looks like I'm gonna need to be the one to post this:
"
that... was... amazing