• 130 results
#1 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

For the longest time I've wanted to have a cat as a pet, however when telling my friends about my plan to get a cat they all kinda stared at me and asked if it wasn't a bit weird being a single guy with a cat.

Now I had no idea that was a thing so now I am having second thoughts I mean I don't want to be weird or anything, and i'd probably be real self concious about it aswell but still I love cats.

HELP WHAT SHOULD I DO?

#2 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

why is it ok to be a single guy with a dog, but not a cat ?

#3 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Cats are awesome. Buy one.

#4 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

Fuck what your friends say, chicks dig that shit

#5 Posted by bybeach (4823 posts) -

How about 2 cats? Kittens, actually, thinking Maggie and Hobbes now.

#6 Posted by PaulRevere (207 posts) -

Cats are fucking awesome. It's not weird.

#7 Edited by SuperfluousMoniker (2908 posts) -

Who cares what people think. I used to have a neighbor who was a single, straight guy with a cat. Awesome cat, too. I've thought about getting a cat (or a dog) myself but I'm too damn lazy to take care of a pet.

#8 Posted by MrChuckles (50 posts) -

I don't think it's weird. If anything I think it's weird to think a single guy having a cat is weird.

#9 Posted by HODGEY3000 (344 posts) -

it depends how much you talk to it

#10 Edited by Loose (419 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

Because you can meet bitches at dog parks. Can't get no pussy with a...pussy.
#11 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Look at it this way: you get more pussy than single guys that own dogs.

#12 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

@Prodstep: I wouldn't get a cat as a single guy, but if you want one, get one. Maybe you should stop letting other people's opinions dictate how you live your life. If you're old enough to live on your own and own a pet, you're old enough to know that by now.

Also, Travis Touchdown had one.
#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
Because it's socially unacceptable for a man to own something he can overpower, even though it's also socially encouraged for men to be powerful and assertive and all that other crap.
#14 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2687 posts) -

@cide said:

Fuck what your friends say, chicks dig that shit

Unless they don't, in which case you have basically said "don't come here".

I wouldn't do it.

#15 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

Cats are awesome. Buy one.

Surely you mean adopt?

#16 Posted by laserbolts (5321 posts) -

If you want a cat then get one. Cats are awesome. Who gives a shit what people think. Fuck people.

#17 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4489 posts) -
#18 Posted by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -

@Prodstep said:

For the longest time I've wanted to have a cat as a pet, however when telling my friends about my plan to get a cat they all kinda stared at me and asked if it wasn't a bit weird being a single guy with a cat.

Now I had no idea that was a thing so now I am having second thoughts I mean I don't want to be weird or anything, and i'd probably be real self concious about it aswell but still I love cats.

HELP WHAT SHOULD I DO?

FFS! How old are you? When it matter what people thing of what pet you have.....you live at home? Or just insecure? Not trying to bash you here. But ffs again(sorry^^) It's your life. Who cares what other people thinks? If you want a cat, then enjoy that cat :) god damn it(had to^^)

#19 Posted by TheMummyDetective (16 posts) -

Just don't name it "Sephiroth" or something and you're good.

#20 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3501 posts) -

What the fuck does being a single guy have to do with buying a pet? If you want a cat, go get a god damn cat. I don't even know what they're trying to insinuate by questioning it.

#21 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@beej: Yeah! I didn't notice. Thanks.
#22 Posted by sasnipes (109 posts) -

Yeah, cats are awesome! I was a single guy with a cat, but alas my cat went MIA on an adventure a few months ago :( I would never say it's weird for a single guy to have a cat though, they're cooler than dogs anyway.

#23 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

Why do people think dogs are more manly than cats? I have this: 

Is this better to have than a cat? 
#24 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Hmm okay I guess I am getting a cat then, thanks guys.

#25 Posted by RTSlord (1201 posts) -

get one. your single therefore you can do whatever you want. and besides, most people think cats are cute, including a lot of girls i know

#26 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

My thoughts upon reading the title: why would it be weird for a single guy to have a cat?

My thoughts upon reading post: do those friends share some sort of complex? Before you knew it was "a thing," did it matter? SHOULD it matter? Quite honestly, it seems a little silly to me. Go for it, dude.

... Really though, why would it be weird for a guy to have a cat? I don't get it. Does preference mean nothing anymore?

#27 Posted by TobbRobb (4639 posts) -

I have this weird, sense of deja vu. Like this thread has been done before.

Get a damn cat, they rule.

#28 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

Are you James Bond Villain?

#29 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Get a kitty.

#30 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
Cats stink. I haven't been to one cat-owners house that doesn't smell like cat piss.
#31 Posted by TheBlackPigeon (314 posts) -
@Prodstep

It's not as weird as guys over 30 who still play video games. At least, that's what the experts on TV tell me. : d
#32 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -

no

#33 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -

Doesn't seem weird to me.

#34 Posted by Masha2932 (1241 posts) -
@beej: Yes adoption is probably the best option and it's probably cheaper if not free
#35 Posted by Three0neFive (2293 posts) -

I see nothing wrong with it, cats are boss.

Some people think that a single person with a cat implies they're using it to fill a hole in their love life, but fuck those projecting assholes.

#36 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Do it. Become the male version.

#37 Edited by MegaMetaTurtle (414 posts) -
#38 Posted by Portis (1287 posts) -

I've seen this question brought up a few times here in the past couple months.

Why the fuck would it be weird?

#39 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

Fuck your friends. Get a cat.

#40 Posted by Aetheldod (3579 posts) -

Yes , and I think your friends are stupid and the weirdos

#41 Posted by SSValis (1136 posts) -

no it's not. Why would it be weird? 

#42 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1209 posts) -

No it's not, but don't give it a horrible name

#43 Posted by jeffb01 (26 posts) -

WARNING!!! 

DON'T DO IT!!!   
full disclosure: My wife got two cats very early in our relationship and she thought she wanted cats, but she liked the idea of cats more than the actual work, as I do all the work.

1. Half the population is allergic to cats.  For some reason (there are many theories) allergies have become more prevalent in our society. 20 years ago, everyone ate peanut butter - now you can't put it in your kids lunch because her school is a "peanut-free zone". Well, the same seems to be true with cats. I've had two separate male friends who were living with their girlfriends, got cats, broke up, the girlfriend couldn't take the cat so they decided to keep it - then started dating someone who was severely allergic to cats and had to get rid of the cat when the relationship got serious. It seems like more females than males are allergic, so if you plan on dating it can cause problems.  Furthermore, some of your friends will have a girlfriend or themselves be allergic to cats and won't be able to step foot into your smelly place once they've lived there a few years.

2. If you like owning anything nice, forget about it. they scratch up everything, puke on everything, spit up on everything, piss on everything. Many times, I washed the sheets and put on the clean ones just to have one of the cats spit up on them within the hour. I don't know why the cats like spitting up on the freshly washed sheets, but they do.  I used to have a rare ouija board made in the 1800's but I had to sell it because they were destroying it. Oh, and did I say your place will stink.

3. They live a long time. think about something you wanted 15 years ago - now imagine you still had to spend money on it and take care of it every day to this day. Plan on having kids someday - cats aren't good with kids (at least mine aren't). They aren't that expensive, but it's one more thing in the budget - and if you're going out of town for more than a few days, start figuring something out.  And when they get sick (and they will), it will be expensive. Just last month, one of our 11 year old cats started puking everything up all over the place. the vet bill was $300 (and it could of easily been over $1000, but I was ready to put the cat to sleep before I would pay for x-rays or surgery. He got better, but now we have to get a rug doctor to try to clean the carpet from all the puke.

4. Ask yourself, why do I need to own another animal - it's sick.  It's a big commitment - It's also cruel to get just one cat if you're not home a lot. maybe you're a homebody, but once you start dating that girl who is allergic to cats, you'll be spending all your time at her house and the cat will be bored silly. Don't worry, the cat will get it's revenge...

#44 Posted by Rawrz (590 posts) -

I dont get whats so weird about it. If anything a cat is great to have since there far more indepenant then dogs and are way easier to take care of then dogs since they usually wont wreck the house if you leave them alone too long so you can totally go out and do whatever and alls good when you get back.

#45 Posted by Korwin (2864 posts) -

Your just a dude who owns a cat. It's when you get into multiple cat territory, then your weird (same goes for any animal really).

#46 Posted by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -

@Origina1Penguin said:

What the fuck does being a single guy have to do with buying a pet? If you want a cat, go get a god damn cat. I don't even know what they're trying to insinuate by questioning it.

I tried to say this on the first page. well said and 100% behind you.

#47 Posted by bybeach (4823 posts) -

I AGREE WITH jeffb01!!! Get 2 cats....and he is right about accepting responsibility for your choice. Train them to use their kitty litter trey(comes natural most of the time) provide a cat scatching post, cat tower will be luved ,keep their claws trimmed if possible, and most definetly keep them in good health (yearly shots and vet visit).

#48 Posted by Brendan (7805 posts) -

Your friends are weird.

#49 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@TheMummyDetective said:
Just don't name it "Sephiroth" or something and you're good.
This.
#50 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

@jeffb01: What this guy said.

I hate cats and everything they stand for. All the cats I encounter are selfish little whores who only reciprocate love when convenient. Fuck that noise.