Is it weird/creepy for an 18 year old college freshmen to date a 17 HS senior?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Amazon-Alpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

If they knew each other before, do you think it would be strange?

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

No, but if the relationship is long distance I doubt it will survive the first semester.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, not in any way.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

With the info presented here, no.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yes it is weird and creepy for someone to date another who is likely less than a year younger. The norm is at least two decades between the two.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#6  Edited By StarvingGamer
No Caption Provided

(don't let me down GB forum!)

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I think your weird/creepy meter need recalibrating; here you go

Loading Video...

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think this happens all the time. I was dating a Sophomore during my Senior Year of High School. Thus, I was dating a Junior in High School as a Freshman in college because we were in a RELATIONSHIP! I was not going to toss that relationship away just because she was two years younger than me. It was rocky at times, but we sort of made it work even 300 miles away.

Did it last? Nope, but maybe it never was going to last forever...that is life. :- (

I have always felt that anywhere between 0 and 3 years apart is okay for most teens, and anywhere between 0-5 years apart is someone for most twenty-somethings. The experiential jump form High School to College is a jump for sure, but in real terms it really isn't anything more than what is in you own head.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I dated an 18 year old at 24. You're fine. That seems perfectly normal.

Avatar image for excitable_misunderstood_genius
Excitable_Misunderstood_Genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Divide by two and then add seven.

heis24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I always thought the guys in college who went home on the weekends to see their high school girlfriends were loser. With that said, you should know that was super cool.

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, I dated a guy who was a senior in high school the year after I graduated. We were in the same "maturity range" as far as life experience and of course, physical appearance goes so it wasn't weird at all.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By Zevvion

I'm not completely up to date on what a senior and stuff is, but if you're asking if it's weird that an 18 year old dates a 17 year old then fuck no. What would be weird about it? I don't get it.

EDIT: Unless you are in the US. They have an extremely weird history of lawsuits based on this stuff. Like teens who exchange nude pics with consent being charged for pedophilia and actually being found guilty when the age difference was one or two years.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It isn't weird at all. I know several guys who are nearly 20 and are dating girls that are 17 or 18 so you're fine

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

EDIT: Unless you are in the US. They have an extremely weird history of lawsuits based on this stuff. Like teens who exchange nude pics with consent being charged for pedophilia and actually being found guilty when the age difference was one or two years.

This part. Just very careful. If y'all were dating before you were 18, and if you're familiar with the minor's family, you're probably fine. But realize that you're basically at the mercy of their legal guardian's rules - with that small of an age difference, it's unlikely to go super bad, but hey. Ethically? Seems fine. People get weird about age gaps (not one that small), but some relationships are worth it. As long as you play by the rules, doesn't matter what anyone else says - do what feels right to you, because that's the only thing that will matter further down the road.

Sorry for the Life Advice, but the Age Gap Issue has ended up close to my heart. Just be aware of your local age of consent and the laws surrounding it because however special your relationship is it is not worth jail time. If it's as magical as you feel, it isn't going to disappear once they're legal.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thebrainninja: I distinctly remember a 17 year old having pedophilia charge on his record for exchanging nude pics with his girlfriend of 16. It is absolutely ridiculous. Glad I don't live there.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't think it's weird. If you knew each other before it's not like you went scouting for a high school girl. There's also the fact that you're 18 and shes 17. Homie that's a year. That means more when you're young, but seriously it's not a big deal.

Nach0Sanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nach0Sanchez

@amazon-alpha: Nope that was the situation with my girlfriend of 8.5 years. We started dating when I was a senior in highschool. That is a pretty normal thing. Just don't piss off his/ her parents. I will say that going to a senior prom again sucked real bad though, so be ready for that.

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: Yup, and the wilder thing is that minors can get busted on CP charges for taking pictures of themselves. I mean...they're minors? So...they don't see the same consequences as adults, but it still goes on their record and follows them through life.

Really, it isn't too hard to avoid trouble if you keep your head on your shoulders, but I really wish we had more common-sense solutions for when kids make mistakes.

Source: I work in a K-12 school district and the police get involved every time kids get frisky.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dated an 18 year old at 24. You're fine. That seems perfectly normal.

This makes me feel better about things

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No it's not creepy I find threads about the giantbomb staff more creepy and weird.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MezZa

No, you're fine. That's pretty normal actually considering its only a year difference, and unless you're in the same class one of you HAS to be a college freshman first. Just keep in mind to be respectful of her parents. She's not an adult yet so their opinion matters more than usual and can get you into some potential problems. Also be careful of any extra "activities" you might do. Know what's allowed and what's not so you don't get into trouble now or later on. If things go bad, you can get charges over the smallest things without realizing it if you aren't careful.

But bottom line is don't worry about a year's difference. If you really like her just enjoy the relationship. You'll be experiencing very different things (college vs high school) but you should still be able to relate to eachother at this point.

(Edit: I guess I thought I read that the girl is the younger and you're the older guy, but now that I look again you never said. If that's not the case just ignore that assumption. The basic message still applies.)

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thebrainninja: I have to be honest with you, I think the entire 'kids make mistakes' thing isn't helping. This entire debate (not the one we're having but about this issue in general) takes it as a given that it is improper, immoral and wrong to do these kinds of things.

Guess what? I'm 28 years old, and I exchange nude pics back and forth sometimes. It's not a mistake. We want to do it. It's fun, hilarious and sometimes turns us on. Maybe these youngsters just want to actually do this stuff. Just because it's a relatively new thing, doesn't mean it's wrong or improper. That's what people used to say about casual sex. And before that about sex with anyone other than your loved one. And before that about sex before marriage. And before that about sex for pleasure instead of reproductive reasons.

I think people need to get off their high horse and stop assuming their way is gold and any other is immoral or wrong. At the very least they should stop telling people what to do.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Alright, I think this has gotten plenty of responses especially considering this is from a user who just signed up to the site and disappeared after starting the topic. In short, ethically this is subjective, and legally you should contact an attorney and ask them whether there could potentially be any criminal implications associated with dating an underage girl in your state or country.