Is modern music worse or better than music 20 - 30 years ago?

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By Ramone

Wow I din't know this many people shared my opinion of modern music. Anytime I try to say this to one of my friends they just say that I don't like music nowadays because its popular and I'm just trying to be a prententious arsehole. I think the fact of the matter is that back in the 60's 70's and 80's there was a more diverse selection of music in the public eye, (Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy on ToTP) but now the selection of music in the charts and on T.V is much narrower. There good bands out there but you just have to look harder.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#103  Edited By penguindust

Every generation believes that the music of their time is worse than what came before it.  In the 80's we used to complain about Duran Duran, Whitney Huston and Poison, too.  In an era before Last.FM and Itunes, there was MTV and FM radio.  That was where most folks found their music.  But, since those sources were slaves to the corporate music machine, a good majority of it was packaged and controlled just as the Jonas Brothers and Ke$ha are today.  If you wanted to find good music, you had to seek it out.  Today that should be easier than it was in my day when that meant borrowing albums from a friend of a friend, or reading the underground 'zines for band recommendations.  If you were lucky, you might have lived within the weak range of a college radio station, too. 

So is today's music worse than it was 30 years ago?  I don't know.  I don't listen to much on the radio these days.  I've never heard a Lady Gaga song.  But, I do know that back then, a lot of us were having the same discussions that I see here today. 

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Ramone
@PenguinDust:  It doesn't matter what era you're in Whitney Houston, Duran Duran and Poison all suck all of the time.
Butchio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#105  Edited By Butchio

modern music is terrible. i used to love listening to radio 1, but now it has gone to shite. also tim westwood please die

MrSlamman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#106  Edited By MrSlamman

There's absolutely no friggin question about it, because the forefathers of music arts had the right idea, for many years, it was a revolution in the making. Now, it's all rehashed pop or top of the charts mass selling media. There's no REAL heart or soul. And what a timely topic as I comment and read this often with YouTube music artists I like to catch up with online
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By penguindust
@Jonny7892 said:
" @PenguinDust:  It doesn't matter what era you're in Whitney Houston, Duran Duran and Poison all suck all of the time. "
Ha-ha, point taken.  Originally, I was going to write U2, Madonna and Mötley Crüe, but I wasn't in the mood to get tarred and feathered by the site's metal heads.
MrSlamman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By MrSlamman
@XxBarretxX said:
"people say that all old music was good but really your only going to remember the good.   I pretty much listen to every kind of music past and old but I iisten to more current music. More variety and exploration in different genres."

Not true, but when you're over 40 like me,then just SEE what you remember and wanted to forget! I remember bands like Wham! and Hootie being poked fun at because they had usurped the cool music. Nothing truly great made the charts that often. Hoping I don't violate the posting rule, this is new for me, a friend invited me over, so make room for a real Epinionated Guy!
Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Raymayne

The majority of modern music is much much worse.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Well, at least metal music has taken a few leaps for the better, I daresay.

As for pop and other mainstream media... pop died with Michael, really.

@MrSlamman said:

" @XxBarretxX said:
"people say that all old music was good but really your only going to remember the good.   I pretty much listen to every kind of music past and old but I iisten to more current music. More variety and exploration in different genres."
Not true, but when you're over 40 like me,then just SEE what you remember and wanted to forget! I remember bands like Wham! and Hootie being poked fun at because they had usurped the cool music. Nothing truly great made the charts that often. Hoping I don't violate the posting rule, this is new for me, a friend invited me over, so make room for a real Epinionated Guy! "

Welcome to Giantbomb!
lizcav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By lizcav
@Raymayne said:
" The majority of modern music is much much worse. "
I would disagree. A lot of mainstream music; that being music that is plastered on television and major radios; definitely is contrived and unoriginal, however they are far from the "majority" of the music industry/the majority of  "modern music".
Bands like Radiohead, Mumford and Sons, Grizzly Bear, and Evermore (I'm only naming four distinct bands of hundreds) have large followings (and their are lots of other bands like Decoder Ring which have very small follows; the following size doesn't detract from the capability or nuance of the music and your ability to enjoy it). 

POINT: Their music isn't usually in the "mainstream" but it is modern. 

To say that all modern music is garbage or terrible is silly and reflects on one's inability to look out for new music, unique music. To do so is not hard, as previous individuals have stated.
Supernaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Supernaut

Also, anyone saying pop is dead should check out Janelle Monae's new album. It is awesome

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#113  Edited By fjordson

It's absolutely worse.

Zoidberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#114  Edited By Zoidberg

Better, without a doubt.

@lizcav Bon Iver is really really awesome.

Food

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Food

I think it depends on the genre.  For example punk 30 years ago: AMAZING.  Punk now: uhhhh...?  there's punk now?  

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#116  Edited By one_2nd

The '80s and '90s kick the shit out of today's music. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fuzzyponken said:
" Oh my god it's so much worse. I can't listen to ANYTHING that plays regularly on the radio these days without fucking puking. At least in the 90's the whole grunge scene made things fairly interesting, and in the 80's there were obviously tons of metal and rock music around (although the shittiest 80's pop was arguably worse than anything ever recorded).  "
they did not play metal on the raido, or grunge. if you were more than 15, you would know that.

It has always been pop.
Grimjim8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#118  Edited By Grimjim8000

I think this question is a little weird. Music is subjective, there is shit i like that others won't. If you ask me the question is modern mainstream music worse? hell yes, most stuff is terrible. Modern music however has probably got the same amount of decent music out there, it's just the way we can get at good music is different nowadays.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#119  Edited By recroulette

The awesome stuff about the internet is that you can listen to only good stuff, and filter out as much of the garbage as you want.

Was looking at one of those NOW compilation CD's. Didn't recognize a single song except for one. Felt kinda nice.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#120  Edited By tebbit
@MattyFTM said:
" Worse, far worse. The majority of modern music is trash. There are a few half decent songs out there, but they're still nothing compared to music of the 70s and 80s. "
There are always a few decent songs out there in every decade. Why do people think that music gets worse as the years go on? Because as you get older, you remember the songs and styles of music you really enjoy, so when you look back you remember "all those great songs". 

While in reality, there is always a 30/70 ratio (ish) in the music industry of great / garbage. As it has been, it always will be.
lizcav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By lizcav

It's funny how all of these posts seem to be quite repetitive and circular. 

*I reiterate my above point(s) with the below *

@one_2nd Have you listen to bands like Collections of Colonies of Bees?  Balmorhea? Eskimo Joe? Travis? Sarah Blasko? Razorlight? Dappled Cities? Beach House? Death Cab for Cutie? Moby? Interpol? Washington? Shearwater? Sparkadia? The Temper Trap? Josh Pyke? Iron and Wine? Augie March? The Features? The Panics? Pete Murray? The Kooks? Stereophonics? Feist? Return to Sender? The Darkness? 

I think I covered quite a few genres with that lot.... from heavy rock to instrumental rock to folk...

@Zoidberg Omg someone who actually broadens their musical taste/knowledge *faints* 

The problem with people these days is that they want to be spoon-fed things... in order to find a new modern band or band that you want you many want to do some looking... outside of the spoon-feeding zone that is mainstream media.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#122  Edited By flaminghobo

Neither, it's just different.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By DCFGS3

Well you can't really compare the two eras. The bands you know from 20-30 years ago were good, but they'd only be as good as the good bands today. The difference is, because it's easier to produce music, and there's a wider market, there are far more artists today than before, ergo, more trash.

fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By fuzzyponken
@Jethuty said:

" @fuzzyponken said:

" Oh my god it's so much worse. I can't listen to ANYTHING that plays regularly on the radio these days without fucking puking. At least in the 90's the whole grunge scene made things fairly interesting, and in the 80's there were obviously tons of metal and rock music around (although the shittiest 80's pop was arguably worse than anything ever recorded).  "

they did not play metal on the raido, or grunge. if you were more than 15, you would know that.  It has always been pop. "
There were tons of grunge around when I was a kid (early to mid 90's), both on the radio and on TV. Undisputable fact. I know, since I lived it. Can't really speak for the 80's, but metal seemed to have a presence at least. 
Boondocks24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Boondocks24

I think it all depends on what genre you listen to. Now if its (in my opinion) modern mainstream hip hop/ pop/ pop rock/ techno pop, then personally i think its all garbage. Cause there is about only a certain amount of main points that EVERY song in each of these genres when it comes to a mainstream scale that are expressed within the song, in usually in stupid and obnoxiously repetitive ways, and those are to my understanding: bitches(sex with bitches, controlling bitches, etc.), money, fancy cloths, cars, and very rarely do they talk about something that doesn't have to do with any of that, usually about like having problems within a relationship which i am sure we've all heard of happen or something along those lines, as long as its a mildly saddening emotional feeling. Now you may say I'm being a little to general and leaving out some details that may contradict what I'm saying, but keep in mind this comment is purely general in my opinion and is totally controversial.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By geirr

Tastes vary. I find tons of amazing modern music but it's mostly non-mainstream.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I think the state of rock and roll blows donkey dick and it has for the last ten, twelve years. That said, there are other genres that I really groove on. Electropop in particular is one of my absolute favourites.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#128  Edited By Phatmac

Better. You have to have more talent(either through musical talent or marketing) to succeed these days. People remember the best parts of music when discussing the past. People have to realize that there was a ton of shit back than too.

Avatar image for darkdragonmage99
darkdragonmage99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It all really depends on what you listen to

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Aegon

There's so much garbage...so much.

I don't understand how anyone buys int this shit. Apparently people are more into fake attitudes than good music.

Worse. Definitely worse.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#131  Edited By gaminghooligan

It's hard to say, because while the radio plays whats popular, there are millions of awesome artists that fly under the radar. Music is a funny thing, like games it's all about what you and you alone like. For example I don't like Mac Miller or Wiz Khalifa, so I fill my need for hip hop with groups like People Under the Stairs or Chris Webby. I however love Mumford and Sons and Fleet Foxes which get their fair share of attention in the media.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like rap music has become more complex considering its still a growing genre.  Rhymes and patterns have certainly become more complicated.  Disyllabic rhymes are the norm now and it seems like people are rhyming the shit out of everything.  

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Zekhariah

I think things are better overall now.

There is a lot of great variety, and music comes in way more forms. And yeah it is fun to bash the radio stuff, but that ignores how much more recording there is now that good recording equipment is relatively inexpensive. If you think all modern stuff sucks, it pretty much means you need to put in some bare minimal effort into finding new music beyond turning a FM dial.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Milkman

People who say the majority of modern music is trash don't listen to enough music.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Aegon

@Milkman said:

People who say the majority of modern music is trash don't listen to enough music.

I've tried finding music blogs that posted things to my taste, but to no avail. There are some gold nuggets out there but they are so hard to find. Do you have any particular sources you care to share?

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#136  Edited By PandaBear

ABBA sucks. They were popular once. People find trash easier and don't go looking for good music. That's ok, but seriously if all you do is turn on the radio and say "modern music sucks!!" you're doing it wrong.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#137  Edited By triple07

I would say the same, its just people's tastes that have changed. Although with the advent of auto-tune and the like a lot of untalented people have released music lately.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest I really dont know. I love rock, country, and rap music; so to me music has been dead for the past 7 years really. There is no act today that can measure up to Guns n Roses or Soundgarden or Alice in Chains in rock today; same goes for country stars like George Straight, Dwight Yoakam or rap stars like 2pac or Snoop Dog.

bagrm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By bagrm

Whoa nice 2 year old thread necro.

robot4me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By robot4me

yes! lil Wayne, lady gaga, Rebecka Black, maroon 5, and nickleback are all I need to prove modern music is shit.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By TheHumanDove

Nothing has changed really. People like to pretend there wasn't a lot of shitty mainstream music back in the day.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#142  Edited By granderojo

I don't mean to sound like the cliche fan of independent music, but I honestly think that the rise of independent music in the past 10 years has been a god send. I was talking with a friend about this. The most popular band we can think of 20 years ago was possibly Weezer, a lot of their hype was based on their "look" and "style" less so much on their actual music. Nowadays it's a relative free market, is better for the music listener because just more good music is rising to the top but worse for performers because imitators rise so quickly.

Just look at all the imitators of Animal Collective all of a sudden. That's a band that is pretty much the antithesis of a Weezer but they are just as popular today. You can hear their 'sound' everywhere if you look hard enough. It's hard to explain but if you listen hard enough it's there.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#143  Edited By Red

Mainstream music is generally worse than it once was, but good stuff is just as good as the 80s and 90s.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By gamefreak9

I don't know why but somehow dance music has taken over actual music. Maybe people didn't dance as much as people do today? maybe they just danced differently? Anyway, yes it is much more shit. There is still good stuff coming out, but I find it harder and harder to track down.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Jace

@bearcat:

I opened the thread with a mental bet that the whole thread would be nothing but people saying modern music is so bad relative to older music, and generally crying about mainstream music.

HAHA WELP.

Yeah, get over yourselves. The market has a much more relevant opinion.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Blackout62

Is David Bowie still retired? Yes? Then worse.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#147  Edited By musubi

Modern music is fine. I absolutely love Lady Gaga and up and coming acts like Odd Future has spawned great solo albums from their members. Frank Ocean is one of my favorite things in recent memories. People get such a stick up their ass about music evolving that they don't let themselves enjoy new music.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By jkz

@TheHumanDove said:

Nothing has changed really. People like to pretend there wasn't a lot of shitty mainstream music back in the day.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By DystopiaX

@jukezypoo said:

@TheHumanDove said:

Came to say something like this.

@Demoskinos said:

Modern music is fine. I absolutely love Lady Gaga and up and coming acts like Odd Future has spawned great solo albums from their members. Frank Ocean is one of my favorite things in recent memories. People get such a stick up their ass about music evolving that they don't let themselves enjoy new music.

This too. OF released some good shit, Kendrick Lamar just released an amazing album, hate the man but Kanye has come out with some great albums too (College Dropout/Late Registration in particular)

tsiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By tsiro

This discussion tends to really frustrate me. I almost find it difficult to compare the two, because it largely depends on what you want to look for. Sure, there is some incredibly important music from 20-30 years ago. You can even see its influence today. However, modern artists have had 20-30 years to improve on that; they have had the chance to take the original and unique ideas of the influential artists of decades past, and build upon it. I tend to enjoy modern music more, but there are artists of the past that I truly, deeply respect.

If you held a gun to my head, I'd probably say that modern music was better. But to only hear that would be to hear half of the truth. It's important to remember the roots of the music that you enjoy, be that 20-30 years or 200-300 years of musical progress, influence, and evolution.