• 143 results
#1 Posted by Drebin_893 (2933 posts) -

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

What?

#3 Posted by Fishow73 (10 posts) -

I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips, that's fucked up. That ain't my fault. It would seem to me that waitresses are one of the many groups the government fucks in the ass on a regular basis. Look, if you ask me to sign something that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it, put it to a vote, I'll vote for it, but what I won't do is play ball. And as for this non-college bullshit I got two words for that: learn to fuckin' type, 'cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big fuckin' surprise.

#4 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Someone has never seen reservoir dogs. Anyways I agree with Mr.Pink, but I still tip anyways

#5 Posted by Getz (3155 posts) -

In the States, waiters and waitresses are paid less than minimum wage given that they are supposed to make it up in tips. That said, Mr. Pink does have a good point that the whole reason for tipping is to incentivise good service and it becomes moot if everyone is obligated to tip regardless of service rendered. THAT SAID, the waitress probably wasn't that bad and Steve Buscemi was just being a dick-hole.

#6 Edited by Dany (7887 posts) -

They call it a Royal with Cheese in France, because of the metric system

#7 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11406 posts) -

The whole concept of waiters/waitresses being paid less on the assumption that they will get tips is dumb, and messed up. And including the tip in the bill isn't the right solution. They should just pay them more.

Also, I never eat out. Literally, I can't remember when the last time was that I ate in a restaurant. So maybe I'm not one to ask.

#8 Posted by TheKramer89 (423 posts) -

@Getz said:

In the States, waiters and waitresses are paid less than minimum wage given that they are supposed to make it up in tips. That said, Mr. Pink does have a good point that the whole reason for tipping is to incentivise good service and it becomes moot if everyone is obligated to tip regardless of service rendered. THAT SAID, the waitress probably wasn't that bad and Steve Buscemi was just being a dick-hole.

Spoken like a true prodigy. Oh wait, that's Pulp Fiction...

#9 Posted by EuanDewar (5100 posts) -

I always though Mr. Pink was just being a bit of a dick, he had a fair point but come on dude. Tip the lady. Not much of a statement you're making by not tipping the poor waitress.

Still, Steve Buscemi is so sick.

#10 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

This topic has been done at least twice before. And, no, he was being a dick.

#11 Posted by NegativeCero (3039 posts) -

I have no idea what you're talking about.

#12 Posted by uniform (1838 posts) -
#13 Posted by lord_canti (1522 posts) -

im pretty sure that america is the only country where it is mandatory to tip

#14 Posted by BigChickenDinner (761 posts) -

@lord_canti said:

Mandatory to tip?! The fuck do you get your information from?

#15 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

You tip for exceptional service, and tip well at that. The rest of the time, they did their job and they earn a wage.

#16 Posted by Skytylz (4039 posts) -

@lord_canti said:

It's not mandatory whatsoever, but it is common courtesy to at least leave a small tip as waitresses/waiters are paid below minimum wage with the expectation of tips. It is kinda bull shit that they can get away with that, since all their doing is transferring expenses, in wages, directly to the customers.

#17 Edited by Alwaysrun (79 posts) -

I'd really prefer to not tip but I do because I don't want to look like a dick. Back when I worked a minimum wage job I worked my arse off doing heavy manual labor for the city and nobody ever gave me a tip. Am I giving these non-skilled people extra money so they don't spit in my food the next time they serve me or actually get me my food in a timely fashion? So to all the waitresses in the world who rely on tips I have one phrase for ya. "My hearts pumping piss for ya" and as Mr.Pink says "learn to fucking type".

#18 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

The whole concept of waiters/waitresses being paid less on the assumption that they will get tips is dumb, and messed up. And including the tip in the bill isn't the right solution. They should just pay them more.

Also, I never eat out. Literally, I can't remember when the last time was that I ate in a restaurant. So maybe I'm not one to ask.

The biggest problem, in my opinion, is that they get paid less with the assuption that they will make it up in tips, but the whole reason waiters and waitresses start working that job in the first plac eis because they feel they can make MORE in tips than they can in other jobs with a standard pay rate. So, in my opinion as someone who held a real job while my classmates tried to scam their way into making more money by waiting tables, is that they need to go find real jobs. If they don't like what they're being paid, then negotiate a new pay rate. Don't go someplace where your pay is "I dunno, whatever" and then complain when it's not enough for you.

#19 Posted by N7 (3677 posts) -

I'm not a fucking cunthole so I tip.

#20 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@Fishow73 said:

I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips, that's fucked up. That ain't my fault. It would seem to me that waitresses are one of the many groups the government fucks in the ass on a regular basis. Look, if you ask me to sign something that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it, put it to a vote, I'll vote for it, but what I won't do is play ball. And as for this non-college bullshit I got two words for that: learn to fuckin' type, 'cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big fuckin' surprise.

It makes total sense that the government would tax tips the way they tax anyone else. Otherwise, waiters and waitresses are getting paid untold amounts of money under the table by failing to hold a real job.

I mean, it might sound like I'm being hard on waiters and waitresses, but I seriously have listenend to too many of my peers talk about how much money they make in one night off of drunk tips to feel too much sympathy for a profession that exists to exploit the social custom of generosity. If you don't like a job, don't do it, and capitalism says the wage rate will go up.

#21 Posted by codynewill (163 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

That either means that you have access to, or are a good cook, or you subsist on tv dinners, junk food, and hot pockets.

#22 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

Damnit. I picked no, because it was the funnier sentence. I meant yes. :(

#23 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@Skytylz said:

@lord_canti said:

It's not mandatory whatsoever, but it is common courtesy to at least leave a small tip as waitresses/waiters are paid below minimum wage with the expectation of tips. It is kinda bull shit that they can get away with that, since all their doing is transferring expenses, in wages, directly to the customers.

and it's nto like there's an alternative. I'd get up and go GET my food, if they would let me.

#24 Posted by mlarrabee (3064 posts) -

The problem with the socially prescribed tip is that attractive servers receive more than unattractive ones, with the quality of service remaining the lesser factor. That's an irrefutable fact, and incredibly stupid.

I would much rather pay 20 percent more for each item on the menu than leave it as charity on the table. Every worker should be paid a wage reasonable for the job being done, and no one - employee, employer, or society - should expect any difference to be made up in handouts.

That said, I tip between 40-75 percent. I'm part of the problem, for as long as society demands tipping, restauranteurs will not be compelled to pay minimum wage or better.

#25 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3087 posts) -

Tipping regardless of a waiter or waitress's performance is fucking stupid.

#26 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

Even the whole concept of a waiter or waitress is an inefficiency that should probably be weeded out. Especially since frequently hte waitress or waiter isn't even the same person who brings out your food...

#27 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -

@lord_canti said:

You have that completely backwards. In France most restaurants actually pre-calculate and charge the tip with the bill for the food. It's not even optional.

#28 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

I tip a flat 15%, either they do something really shitty and it goes down or they are great, and it goes up. Simple

#29 Posted by Turambar (6898 posts) -
@BigChickenDinner said:

@lord_canti said:

Mandatory to tip?! The fuck do you get your information from?

In many restaurants, a tip is automatically added into your final bill.  A tip is not government enforced, but it certainly is enforced by the restaurants themselves.
#30 Edited by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Nope. If Laurence Tierney tells you to put in a tip, you put in a fucking tip.

I always put in at least 20%. These people need tips to survive, and I like to do my part.

#31 Posted by MB (13138 posts) -

I over or under tip based on service. If a server is amazing, I'll tip ridiculously high, sometimes 50%. If the service is shit, I have no problems with tipping nothing.

#32 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1542 posts) -

I don't really go out to eat anymore, unless I'm with friends. Besides that the only time I need to tip is when I order pizza and now that I make my own pizzas I don't even have to do that.

#33 Posted by Slag (4889 posts) -

Pretty sure Wait staff actually make less salary than minimum wage because the gov't and the restaurant industry assume they will get tips.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

The federal gov't's minimum wage for tipped employees is just $2.13/ hour in direct salary from the restaurant. Anything else they get comes from tips. Granted I think the restaurant is supposed to help out if they don't actually receive enough tips to reach a combined ~$10.00/hour, but given the way that industry operates I doubt it happens nearly as often as it should.

So Mr Pink's argument doesn't hold up in my mind.

Anyway you are going to pay them one way or the other, would you prefer food just cost more? Does it really matter in what way you pay it ?

#34 Posted by Commisar123 (1798 posts) -

Yep tips should be for a job well done. They should pay them more of a base wage and charge more for their food.

#35 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I did this already.

#36 Posted by Demoskinos (15163 posts) -

Fuck. Now I wanna go watch Reservoir Dogs.

#37 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

In Ireland tipping isn't mandatory, we only tip if we're really drunk or the service was extra good.

#38 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Dany said:

Wrong Tarantino movie.

#39 Posted by PixelPrinny (1050 posts) -

I tip if the service is good and when I tip, I tip well. If I could have had the same level of service (or better) at a fast food joint or a deli where tips aren't expected (and often it's policy to refuse them), don't expect a tip from me.

#40 Posted by Vonocourt (2167 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Dany said:

Wrong Tarantino movie.

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you.

#41 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

@JazGalaxy:

Waiting tables is a "real" job, a pretty goddamn hard, thankless, and stressful job as a matter of fact, one that almost every single person in the industry does out of necessity, not because they're lazy or trying to work some scam like you say. I've worked in the restaurant business my whole life, and I've never encountered someone who does it for the reasons you say. Servers don't typically make a lot of money, they make decent money for the hours they work which are almost invariably part time but extremely flexible. And that's the reason most people do it: because they are trying to get into something else but it's not a snap of a finger thing like you make it out and the schedule flexibility allows them to go to school, study, and still tend to family needs and the such. It's a means to an end. Most people hate doing it because you're treated like a dog by a lot of customers who think they're better than you because you're a server and they're not .

So I think I need to bring Mr. White into this and say, "You don't know what you're talking about." And neither do any of the people who are talking about server wages or the mandatory tip thing. I get paid 2.40 an hour by the restaurant. That's not below minimum wage, it's barely anything. In America, you are a major dick if you leave anything below 10% on competent service, a little cheap if you leave anything below 15, and generous if you go up to 20. On exceptional service, you shouldn't go below 17 or 18 but 20 is the standard. You don't tip only when the service is phenomenal.

#42 Edited by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

I've always had the Mr Pink stance before i even saw RD. There just so much wrong with tips it's fuckin ridiculous and it all stems from the fact that society suggests that we're SUPPOSE to tip and that there's some type of shame that should be associated with it if we don't

The fact that tipping is considered customary as oppose to extraordinary is complete bullshit and defeats the whole purpose what the fuck a tip is suppose to be. In every other customer related job, tips generally work as follows....

Do your job poorly, you get chastised/reprimanded or something of the sort. 
Do your job as expected and appreciation is (typically) granted by the customer. 
Do your job exceptionally well and go above and beyond, you get praise and may even get a tip, even in jobs and industries where tipping is unheard of. 

However, when it comes to serving

Do your job poorly you get no tip
Do your job as expected you get a moderate tip
Do your exceptionally well and you get a better tip

Wtf? Why does that make sense? Where's the justification in that? Because they get paid a shitty wage?

Why is it my job as the customer to supplement and make up for your shitty wage as waiter/waitress? It's not and it shouldn't be. The reason employers can get away with paying LESS THAN minimum wage is because tipping is expected and customary. The notion of proper compensation is a Employee-Employer problem. Not a Employee-Customer problem. 

The only half-way decent defense anyone has ever presented to me is that some places pool their tips so if you had a great meal but your service was so-so and decide not to tip, your gyping the cook and not just the waiter. Fine fair enough. That makes sense and i can see and agree as to how the might be problematic. 

However, first off, how would i know if a place pools their tips? 

Secondly, if tips are pooled  and i do leave a tip, there's really no way for me  to monetarily distinguish that i appreciate the cooks food more than the waiters service since it's all being pooled and getting divided up evenly/accordingly  

Therefore and most importantly, if that's the case, guess what? That means the server now acts as a liaison for the cook and whoever gets represented in this pool of tips considering the server is the only one i'm dealing with. If the service isn't on the level where i decide to give a tip regardless of how good the food is, then as far as i'm considered the server just blew it for everyone that's represented in that pool. Again, as a customer, that's not my problem nor should it be.

#43 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -
@frankfartmouth said:

@JazGalaxy:

Waiting tables is a "real" job, a pretty goddamn hard, thankless, and stressful job as a matter of fact, one that almost every single person in the industry does out of necessity, not because they're lazy or trying to work some scam like you say. I've worked in the restaurant business my whole life, and I've never encountered someone who does it for the reasons you say. Servers don't typically make a lot of money, they make decent money for the hours they work which are almost invariably part time but extremely flexible. And that's the reason most people do it: because they are trying to get into something else but it's not a snap of a finger thing like you make it out and the schedule flexibility allows them to go to school, study, and still tend to family needs and the such. It's a means to an end. Most people hate doing it because you're treated like a dog by a lot of customers who think they're better than you because you're a server and they're not .

So I think I need to bring Mr. White into this and say, "You don't know what you're talking about." And neither do any of the people who are talking about server wages or the mandatory tip thing. I get paid 2.40 an hour by the restaurant. That's not below minimum wage, it's barely anything. In America, you are a major dick if you leave anything below 10% on competent service, a little cheap if you leave anything below 15, and generous if you go up to 20. On exceptional service, you shouldn't go below 17 or 18 but 20 is the standard. You don't tip only when the service is phenomenal.

I would never suggest to anyone, server or not, that serving isn't a real job so I'm not touching that but this two tiered level of tipping based on performance is, with all due respect to you and any other servers, just absolute BS to me. 

Tipping someone who ISN"T giving you phenomenal service suggests that, at best, they're doing the job that they were hired to do. They're doing exactly what their job entails; no more no less  and their wage is meant to be compensation as such regardless of how shitty.
#44 Posted by RecSpec (3943 posts) -

I tip about the same unless something really crazy (good or bad) happens. I'm not going to review a waitress to calculate a tip. 

#45 Edited by Godlyawesomeguy (6403 posts) -

He makes a fair point about how tipping should come as a result of excellent service, but it does not deal in the realities of the situation at hand. Waiters and waitresses are expected to receive tips and are paid less as a result, so even if he does make a good point, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things because most of those working in service (a lot of friends that I know) live off of their tips.

#46 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

BUT WHAT WAS IN THE BRIEFCASE?!

#47 Posted by Landon (4164 posts) -

@hbkdx12 said:

@frankfartmouth said:

@JazGalaxy:

I would never suggest to anyone, server or not, that serving isn't a real job so I'm not touching that but this two tiered level of tipping based on performance is, with all due respect to you and any other servers, just absolute BS to me. Tipping someone who ISN"T giving you phenomenal service suggests that, at best, they're doing the job that they were hired to do. They're doing exactly what their job entails; no more no less and their wage is meant to be compensation as such regardless of how shitty.

Yeah but, what is phenomenal service when you are waiting tables? Bringing your food to you as soon as it's done? Refilling your drink before it gets halfway? Being friendly with the customers? Isn't all of that expected anyway? So by your logic, when are you ever suppose to tip?

Anyone who has an opinion about not tipping really hasn't worked a job that relies on tips.I think Daniel Tosh said it best: Everyone should have to wait tables for at least one year of their lives, so they realize their ranch dressing isn't really that fucking important.

#48 Posted by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -

I almost always tip, I really don't see a problem with it. If they do a good job or they are hot they get a good tip, or you can be like the lady at the pizza place who only came to our table once to give us the check and I gave her no tip.

#49 Posted by High_Nunez (214 posts) -

@frankfartmouth said:

@JazGalaxy:

Bravo, sir!

#50 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

When generations clash.