#1  Edited By samfo
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By No0b0rAmA

I've recently learned that ICP can't humanly be appreciated by anyone. 
So Objective. Rock is better than rap. AND NO ONE SHOULD ENJOY RAP.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By samfo

Hey all, 

What do you think Is music taste Subjective or Objective??? 

An example would be Yngwie Malmsteen VS Panic at the Disco. 

Some would say that technical proficiency does not come into a conversation about music and either band is the correct choice (Subjective) 

Others would argue - Yngwie Malmsteen is better simply because he is more skilled and can solo far better. people who think panic at the disco are better are wrong! (Objective)  

EDIT: argh you beat me! 

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By ectoplasma

Is two cake more than cake or less?

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@SamFo:
There needs to be an achivement for what I just did.
TheGodPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheGodPoet

Idk. Interesting question......hmmm well I think every piece of music can be enjoyed by someone but you can't deny where some music is just better than others. Like compare Lupe Fiasco and Lil Wayne. Many people enjoy both of their music but Lupe is much better with metaphors and flowing and his music actually has meaning to it. Wayne is a one liner kind of rapper.  

So I'm saying both pretty much. Subjective and Objective. 

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By luce
@No0b0rAmA said:
" @SamFo: There needs to be an achivement for what I just did. "
Breaking time and space to post above OP's post, essentially making you the OP? 

Nah
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

It's subjective, just like any other piece of entertainment.

Avatar image for eternalinfinity0
EternalInfinity0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By EternalInfinity0

I think you answered your own question by using the word "taste".

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By herocide

Is this thread real or just a part of your MIND?!

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By meteora

Its subjective. I don't care what you say. You wanna be objective? Fine. You're missing out on a load of good music out there outside of your genre.

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Um ,both?  

Like, there is some true technical stuff that makes any music good whether its the classical stuff or just the background track of hip hop stuff. That is objective. Any music that has some music theory behind the beats and rythem is objectively better music than say random notes being played all at the same time like kids banging on drums.  

But then its also subjective since I can appreciate and acknowledge that the Bands like the Beatles and Michael Jackson are good artists and play good music, but I rather be listening to small time bands that never made it big autolux since I feel a more personal connection with them then the highly whored out songs of the more famous bands. 

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By samfo
@EternalInfinity0:

perhaps, but then some people say you have 'bad taste" /  'good taste'
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#14  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It's hard to define it in terms of subjectivity and objectivity. I believe that no person is "right" or "wrong" in their opinions and for every piece of music out there, there has to be at least someone who is going to like it although certain pieces of music are likely to have more fans than other pieces of music. I'd say the same rules apply for the appreciation of pretty much any creative art.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By samfo
@Gamer_152:
If I had my way, I'd outlaw the phrase "that song sucks" (and all variations) and replace it with "I dont like that song" :D 
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@SamFo:
But I'm pretty sure there are songs that people universally can say "sucks". Some songs are bad, some songs are good. It's the same with games, some are good, some are bad.
FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FacelessVixen

I'm sure that if I say that technical death metal is the best genre of music that many would disagree with me.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#18  Edited By Symphony

Malmsteen vs Panic! is such a weird comparison to try and make. 

Yes, Malmsteen can play guitar better but Panic! can harmonize better. The types of music are just so insanely different that using that as a comparison is a bit absurd. You may as well be asking, who's better -- Black Sabbath or the Beattles?

It absolutely comes down to the taste of the individual. While the breadth of one's vocal range or the speed and accuracy at which they can play an instrument can be objectively measured, the quality of the music they choose to play is measured subjectively. One may enjoy the blazing pace of Malmsteen's speed metal while another would say it's a cacophony of noise, prefering something of a much slower tempo such as Panic!, and either of those are a subjective choice.

Also this --

@EternalInfinity0 said:

" I think you answered your own question by using the word "taste". "
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Subjective I'd say. Great question! :)

Glak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Glak

Music is definitely subjective, everyone has their own tastes and what they prefer

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By HypoXenophobia
This article touches on the subject towards the end. It's a mixture of both.
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By flaminghobo

Subjective, obviously.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By penguindust

The world is a pretty big place.  There's bound to be someone out there who appreciates your disharmonic caterwauling if you look hard enough. 

ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ShadowKing7

Ultimately, it's all subjective.  I have my own preference for music just like everyone else has theirs and it's pretty much as simple as that.
ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By ozzdog12

I gotta say both

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By tebbit

Subjective... to a point 

Then there's death metal. 

I mean come on. 

Seriously.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jimbo

I guess at some point you have to believe that consensus subjective opinion is close enough to objective to treat it as objective.  If you say "dog shit smells bad", you'll still get some idiot saying "yo dats only yur opinyun!".

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By samfo
@Symphony:
the comparison was intended to be pretty odd, but I perhaps should have been more clear. And focused on one thing - e.g. the guitar parts. No one would argue that Yngwie can play more complex and faster guitar parts, but many out there would argue that they prefer PATD's even though they are so simple by comparison.
Avatar image for deactivated-5997efb371d97
deactivated-5997efb371d97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Subjective for humans.  Context is too important for us to objectively analyse media.  For instance, I hate all Beatles covers.  All of them.  They sound horrible, tacky, and pathetic to me. 

There is probably is some alien species that can objectively analyze music: Ones who have no need for context. 

That said, very few things are better than geeking-out about new music.

management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By management

Objective. 
That is why you in most cases need talent to be a good musician

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Fearbeard

While the technical side I'm sure can be measured objectively.

Whether or not you like something (taste) is purely subjective.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mikeeegeee

All forms of art and, by association, entertainment, are subjective. It is their nature. It's only when we behave pretentiously that art and entertainment become objective.
 @JSUMAN: Wait, even the Joe Cocker covers? With a Little Help from my Friends?! Come Together?!

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CaptainCody

Objective, for those of you saying that it is applied to all entertainment then go play Big Rigs.
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By benpack
@Herocide said:
" Is this thread real or just a part of your MIND?! "
Inception
Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Steve_C

I've always seen it as a mix of both. People are entitled to listen to whatever they want, but they should ideally be aware whether it's 'good or not'? though it's never that binary. I don't know. It just annoys me when people end up liking superficial music for entirely shallow reasons without acknowledging that. If it's 'good' then why do you refuse to listen to it six months down the line when it's 'old'. At least that's the kind of thing that i've experienced.

For me, 'good' isn't about technical proficiency. It's just an artist/band with a vision or at least an authenticity about them. I'll respect an artist even if i'm not into that particular music. With Malmsteen, and granted I haven't heard him in years, but while he's got skill, his stuff has never inspired anything in me, so I don't listen. It's boring and soulless to me.

But then you get into realm of guilty pleasures. I enjoy the hell out of Perfume, a damn cutesy all girl electro-pop unit from Japan. They're never not autotuned it seems, so they might sound crap otherwise but it fits along with the music. The secret sauce is the behind-the-scenes producer who masterminds it all, crafting ridiculousy catchy beats. The music is nothing deep, but it pleases the ear. The eyes too; their image is clearly a big factor in their success. But i'll listen to it, bop my head along and really enjoy it, even knowing it's shallow.

I wouldn't say anyone has bad taste as long as they have valid justification as to why they enjoy it and are knowledgable or aware about other music too.

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#36  Edited By gbrading

After three years of advanced philosophical study I have concluded that nothing in the universe is really objective, and that for anything to be so requires you to be separate from the universe itself (which is impossible). Therefore, taste in music is purely subjective, but we can make inferences based upon popular opinion about what types of music are more popular.
Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37  Edited By Termite

To everybody saying that they think music is both subjective and objective, c'mon now. Either you think there is some clearly defined standard by which artists can be compared, or you don't. 

I think musical taste is completely subjective. There's a lot of music that I don't like, and sometimes I have trouble understanding why it appeals to others even, but there's nothing that I can point to that definitively makes their music "bad" and mine "good." What makes music good? How clear it is? How well it incorporates the artist's knowledge of music theory? How many sandwiches the people who made the music had before making it?

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By theguy

*shakes head*

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By tranquilchaos

I would say both... Music can be enjoyed my anyone for any reason, but there is a quantifiable quality to musical talent.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By s10129107

Objective : not  influenced  by  personal  feelings,  interpretations,  or prejudice;  based  on  facts;  unbiased:  an  objective  opinion.      
It is not possible for one to appreciate music objectively.  
 I'm of the opinion that you didn't fully understand the definition of the word objective.

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mercator

Just because you don't like a genre doesn't mean its bad. I listen to everything from hip hop to death metal and while there was a time I would laugh at metal it was because I was ignorant to metal that I liked...same with rap.

Some music is certainly more challenging and some people might find that more interesting but there is someone out there for everything. Videogames are the same way. I think Deadly Premonition is a garbage game...but it doesn't stop several of you from loving it...and thats great.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kmdrkul
Music is objective.

Musical taste is subjective.
jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By jacdg
@Sincillian said:
" Idk. Interesting question......hmmm well I think every piece of music can be enjoyed by someone but you can't deny where some music is just better than others. Like compare Lupe Fiasco and Lil Wayne. Many people enjoy both of their music but Lupe is much better with metaphors and flowing and his music actually has meaning to it. Wayne is a one liner kind of rapper.   So I'm saying both pretty much. Subjective and Objective.  "
I agree, great  example as well.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By iam3green

i would say subjective since people can listen to anything. some people from other countries will enjoy their music and other people won't.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Christoffer

Of course music is subjective. Appreciating technicality and skill is something completely different. That's admiring the musician and not the music. All arts is about the emotions it evokes and that's nothing but personal. 
blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By blair

Are you kidding me?  Music is subjective.  If you answered B) then you are wrong.  Opinions aside, you need to learn the definitions of those two words.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

This is a silly question. Obviously music is subjective. If you talk about proficiency (skills with guitar, metaphors, etc.) sure, that can be judged on a objective basis. But just because someone is better doesn't mean you will like that music more. 

wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#48  Edited By wrathofconn

The answer is that everyone likes different things, but if you want to get into a discussion of actual talent, there can be some objectivity. Some artists have more talent than others.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

A.

Everyone can appreciate everything, problem is people don't think they can or won't and in doing that narrow their visions and actually become as dumb as portrayed.

At least that's what I think.

piggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By piggles

Taste is subjective, but it doesn't really have anything to do with quality. 

People can like all the shitty music they want. Doesn't make it any less shitty.