• 121 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 1 year, 6 months ago

Poll: Is naming your game Starcoon racist (484 votes)

Ya 9%
No 55%
Don't get it 13%
Show me the dam results 8%
I hate kotaku so much 45%

So kotaku ran this story that says starcoon is racist cause it has the word coon in it which is a racial slur against blacks in America. I don't buy it, under this logic raccoon is racist cause it has the word coon in it. Anyways have your say Gaintbomb is starcoon racist or is kotaku just manufacturing stories out of nothing?

http://kotaku.com/what-not-to-name-your-spacefaring-raccoon-video-game-484304024

#101 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@posh said:
@peasantabuse said:

@posh said:

it's amazing how quick everyone is to hate on kotaku without reading the content. a few people already mentioned that the term "racist" wasn't even used in the article. but apparently everyone ignored them?? because they're the same people that whine about feminism being a force for evil and use "social justice" as a pejorative??

Very embarrassing post.

what do you mean? it's embarrassing that people are jumping on this article and calling it out because they think it has anything to do with racism. it's the knee-jerk reaction kotaku is subject to ever since it started posting decent articles about real life social issues, riling up nerds who hate anything that threatens their viewpoints

I just meant your leap from people thinking this article is dumb = they must hate feminism too was lame, no offense.

#102 Edited by GreggD (4510 posts) -

@zeik said:

I'm getting really sick of Kotaku lately.

Gettin' real tired of your shit, Ashcraft.

#103 Posted by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

Kotaku should just go fuck themselves. That's all I'm going to say. They prove time and time again how absolutely retarded they are without fail.

If it was called Star Coon and was about a black guy traveling through space THEN they'd have a point.

#104 Edited by GreggD (4510 posts) -

@animasta said:

I like how we always talk about Kotaku like it's some straight up hive mind style organization

Ever hear of the star commentor system?

#105 Edited by TruthTellah (9428 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

@pr1mus said:

The only people who would see a game called Starcoon starring a Raccoon in space and go thinking that it's a racist title are racist people.

Edit: Oh that's funny, i just read a comment from the "author" who justified his "article" because when he saw the title he was taken aback by it. Guess he's racist.

Remember, he never said the game was racist or even that the title of the game was. He only ever noted that it sounded like an unfortunate name for a game, and the developers agreed once they understood that it might offend someone.

Ahh dude, 99% of the time I'm totally with you. But while they didn't say the name was racist, the tone of the article leaves very little interpretation. And holy lord is this ever not news. Jeff actually said something on tumblr recently regarding the Bioshock 'controversy' and if it affected his opinion and essentially he said no and we have enough actual sexism and racism to fight against we shouldn't waste time looking for it where it doesn't exist. Kotaku continues to be the worst.

I'm going to take this opportunity however to remind everyone how BADASS Rocket Raccoon is.

There we go.

heh. Thanks for the cool Rocket Raccoon art, but I still have to disagree. And I think this thread itself exemplifies what is being alleged against the Kotaku writer. He never says it was racist, and he event noted that it just looks like a cultural difference. Sure he joked about looking at a dictionary, but that just seems in line with his sense of humor. And that post probably took about as long to put up there as this thread. Yet this thread is the one misleading people by misrepresenting what Kotaku said and playing on people's preconceived notions. And it doesn't even reflect that the developer has already said that they were going to change it because they agreed that it could come off wrong. Kotaku is no more saying it is racist than the developers themselves. Both are stating that it was just cultural differences.

And Kotaku posts a billion posts a day. They always have and they always will. They post big stuff along with a parade of curiosities and random things that don't even have to do with games. That's how Kotaku has always been. So, when they post up a mild curiosity like this, something that makes a few people go, "huh! Well that certainly is an odd name," it shouldn't surprise anyone or seem somehow out of line. Kotaku posts plenty of real articles about things that matter in gaming, but they also just post random things and curiosities. This was hardly some big article on offensive names of games; it was just a random post about something that caught his eye. Nothing more than that.

The real sad thing about this is this thread, which has brought together an unfortunate train of relatively intelligent people just accepting whatever random thing is alleged against a site. Blind hate is a powerful thing, and in this case, it makes people look like fools getting outraged or sickened by a made up controversy about Kotaku. A thread like this happens almost every week now on Giant Bomb, with someone taking a Kotaku article, suggesting something ridiculous about it, and then no one second guessing it just because of their preconceived notions about the site. It's embarrassing for an otherwise decent community which far too often jumps to looking down on any gaming site that isn't Giant Bomb. A thread like this is the kind of thing that is commonly alleged -against- Kotaku, and yet people who hate Kotaku probably do it even more than they do. Kotaku has plenty to criticize or not appreciate, but threads like these only serve to show the kind of nonsense people willfully accept because it's convenient, not because it's true.

When another dumb thread like this pops up in a few days, I hope some of the people around here will second guess it instead of just lapping up whatever random allegation or worst interpretation of a post someone can conjure up. We can dislike something without devolving into a simple mindless mob whenever it is brought up.

#106 Edited by RenegadeSaint (1554 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

That's silly. They can post whatever they want to, and a lot of it is not major news by any measure. And they generally don't act like it is. Considering the length of the post, it was pretty much a rather informal "Well now that's unfortunate" than some big claim that everyone should care about it. It's just a dumb post that probably took comparable effort as the OP's post. Kotaku has never been a formal news source, and it's crazy that anyone would act like they should only post big news.

And people in threads like these shouldn't just buy into anything someone alleges that Kotaku says or does. This is simply sensational and dumb, ironically exemplifying the worst of the Kotaku stereotype.

The problem with your argument (and Kotaku's post) is that the title of the game is, in fact, not "unfortunate." It's appropriate. It's a game about a raccoon that goes into space where there are stars. Starcoon. The only thing that is unfortunate about this entire debacle is the part where Kotaku brings attention to a non-issue and these clueless Danes are guilted into changing the title of their game.

And that is why people hate Kotaku and their reliance on "controversial" social commentary to drive traffic.

#107 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3885 posts) -

@posh said:
@peasantabuse said:

@posh said:

it's amazing how quick everyone is to hate on kotaku without reading the content. a few people already mentioned that the term "racist" wasn't even used in the article. but apparently everyone ignored them?? because they're the same people that whine about feminism being a force for evil and use "social justice" as a pejorative??

Very embarrassing post.

what do you mean? it's embarrassing that people are jumping on this article and calling it out because they think it has anything to do with racism. it's the knee-jerk reaction kotaku is subject to ever since it started posting decent articles about real life social issues, riling up nerds who hate anything that threatens their viewpoints

I just meant your leap from people thinking this article is dumb = they must hate feminism too was lame, no offense.

And no, I'm not about to accept anyone defending this shit article.

If you name your article "what-not-to-name-your-spacefaring-raccoon-video-game" you are devoting an entire blog post to saying "hey, that's racist!" at worst, or "hey, that word isn't short for 'raccoon' in some areas of the world" at best. Either way, you're devoting an entire blog post to something that is--at best--a casual mention in a full preview article, or perhaps a politely worded question to the developers in an interview. "So, for the UK market where the word is only used as a racial slur, is it safe to assume that you will be using a different name?"

Naming issues arise from cultural differences all the time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanny_pack), and it's ridiculous to make an entire blog post about something like this, especially when it's the ONLY reason you're posting anything about the game in the first place.

#108 Posted by JasonR86 (9763 posts) -

Not necessarily. It's a dumb name though that welcomes far too much risk given the fact that it is such a dumb name.

#109 Posted by Zeik (2673 posts) -

@greggd said:

@zeik said:

I'm getting really sick of Kotaku lately.

Gettin' real tired of your shit, Ashcraft.

If that's a reference to something it went over my head.

#110 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3908 posts) -

@truthtellah:

Even if he's just pointing out cultural differences, my point remains. Why? What discussion is he trying to start? Let's say that half the people having a negative reaction didn't even read the article, there's a still a lot of people left. If so many people have misinterpreted what he was trying to say, that's not on the audience, that's on him. It stems from the problem Kotaku has of just throwing up whatever to keep the post count up, that's how those blog style sites operate. It's a problem with that type of system but at the same time, Joystiq operates the same way and doesn't get any of the hate that Kotaku gets. I'll agree that it's become the thing to do, hating on Kotaku but they don't do anything to change peoples minds.

If the author wanted to start some sort of discussion about cultural differences he should have put up more then a paragraph and a link that showed how 'coon' is racist. You can't just blame people for their reactions.

#111 Edited by RazielCuts (2984 posts) -

GOT TO GET THOSE CLICKS, SON!

#112 Posted by TruthTellah (9428 posts) -

@truthtellah:

You can't just blame people for their reactions.

heh. Sure you can. Reactions like this thread are dumb. It's silly. This thread mislead more people than the actual article. In the article's own comment section, people weren't up in arms about him suggesting that the game was somehow racist, as he clearly didn't. No one said that or took issue with it, unlike in this mislead thread. Plenty of people said they didn't think it was a big deal and one or two said it was a slow news day, but others said they could see how it might be misunderstood by some people. It didn't get a ton of comments or even too many views, but it still got some attention from people like the OP who decided to mislead people here on Giant Bomb into getting up in arms about nothing.

#113 Posted by Fallen189 (5050 posts) -

Fuck Kotaku and their oversensationalization of ANYTHING. Should the word country be changed to "Land mass" because it sounds like cunt? And even then, mass sounds like ass. There's no winning

#114 Posted by Winternet (8035 posts) -

What is this... "Kotaku" you speak of?

#115 Posted by JoeyRavn (5007 posts) -

@bisonhero said:

Man, this is Scribblenauts Sambo all over again. What an invented controversy.

Or the use of the word niggardly...

I just read the article on Wikipedia. As a philologist: oh, wow. I knew 'Murica could be bad, but man... Talk about not giving a shit about what words mean and feeling offended just because.

#116 Edited by Raven10 (1888 posts) -

Well I could see that being an issue depending on where you live. In some Southern states it is still a commonly used term and I could definitely see people getting offended without realizing the context. In the Northeast Coon most commonly is used to refer to a raccoon among hunters. In the rest of the country I don't think I've heard the term used at all. I think it's a silly complaint, but honestly better safe than sorry.

#117 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3908 posts) -

Ugggh why no reply button on mobile??

@truthtellah well we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this. I fully recognize mob mentality is a problem on the net but I think you're giving that site too much leeway. And this is coming from someone who actively resisted jumping on the hate train for a long time but the occasional quality story doesn't make up for the rest. Kotaku made this bed. I like Totillo and I'm sure he's trying to improve things but regardless of who's at fault (probably whoever is running gawker) they produce too much gross for my liking. It's a dumb post. Yeah he's not saying "these guys are racist!" but it's still dumb an he doesn't provide enough to turn it into a discussion. He just says "here's a thing. Get it? Cultural difference." In my opinion that's not worthwhile.

#118 Edited by Danteveli (1210 posts) -

Is this game about Space Afro-Americans made by KKK? If the answer is no then probably title was not meant to be offensive. Especially if we consider that probably every word used in any language can be offensive to someone somewhere.

#119 Edited by Brodehouse (10107 posts) -

Anyone posting the 'didn't call them racist' needs to be a little bit more honest. He deliberately insinuated they were casually racist and insensitive. I'm baffled that the same people who last week argued Kamitani's implication that Jason Schreier was gay was the same as calling him a faggot are now saying that this implication of racism 'totally isn't calling them racist you guys'. Thats hypocrisy, thats wanting it both ways whenever it pleases you. He is deliberately insinuating that they are racist, whether intentional or not.

That's not even getting into the main point where naming a game that stars a raccoon Starcoon somehow is racist. We use 'fox' to refer to sexually attractive women... I suppose Starfox is a sexist title. Never mind that it refers to an actual anthropomorphized fox.

#122 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3885 posts) -

@bibamatt said:

@brodehouse said:

We use 'fox' to refer to sexually attractive women... I suppose Starfox is a sexist title. Never mind that it refers to an actual anthropomorphized fox.

I used to work with a band called The Morning Benders. They did pretty well in the States and came to the UK for the first time. They were shocked to find that, in the UK, 'bender' is the equivilant of 'fag'. It's a horrible term that bigots use against gay people. The reaction to them touring the UK wasn't quite what they would have wanted and I feel like this is a similar scenario and, having been through this before, I think it would be better to nip it in the bud before release.

So, did they rename the robot on Futurama in the UK? If another Futurama game gets made, should Kotaku make an entire blog post pointing out of how the word "Bender" is a derogatory term for gay people in the UK?

Would that really be a post worth making, or would that just be another example of Kotaku stirring up shit for site hits? I'm thinking it's the second one.

#126 Edited by Hunter5024 (5912 posts) -

I'm workshopping an Ape Escape joke, but having difficulty doing it without sounding racist. More on this as it develops.

#128 Edited by Scrawnto (2462 posts) -

@spaceinsomniac: I think you've hit the nail on the head with this one.

I'm curious what @bibamatt would make of the term "coonskin cap". That's the context in which "coon" is short for "racoon" with which I'm most familiar. It must sound terribly grim outside of the USA.

#130 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -

@scrawnto said:

I'm curious what @bibamatt would make of the term "coonskin cap". That's the context in which "coon" is short for "racoon" with which I'm most familiar. It must sound terribly grim outside of the USA.

This is a perfect example! The first time I heard the word coon used for raccoon (it was in February this year), was when I was on holiday in the States and saw a 'coonskin cap'. My whole group lost our shit and couldn't believe that this store was selling racist souvenirs. We eventually worked it out.

#131 Edited by Scrawnto (2462 posts) -

@bibamatt said:

@scrawnto said:

This is a perfect example! The first time I heard the word coon used for raccoon (it was in February this year), was when I was on holiday in the States and saw a 'coonskin cap'. My whole group lost our shit and couldn't believe that this store was selling racist souvenirs. We eventually worked it out.

Then, I think that illustrates pretty well why people in North America would find it hard to give a shit that there's a game called Starcoon.

Edit: Hah, now I'm picturing a guy walking through London with a coonskin cap and a fanny pack. Are there any more pieces of culturally insensitive clothing one might take to the UK?

#133 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3885 posts) -

@bibamatt said:

On the flipside, how's coon considered in the States? I feel like I can't stress how offensive it is outside of your country, but I have little understanding of it's use in the US, beyond the fact that it's what you call raccoons.

I wouldn't call it a mild slur, so much as a completely antiquated one. It's a racial slur that is almost never used these days in the US. If someone used it when talking to me about a black person, they would sound extremely out of touch and outdated, in addition to being racist.

As long as we're exchanging cultural difference examples, as Scrawnto brought up, I have to ask what the heck they called coonskin caps in the UK when they were extremely popular both there and in the US?

#137 Posted by Hunter5024 (5912 posts) -

I don't think this Ape Escape joke is happening. Something about pro slavery propaganda maybe? Idk.

#138 Edited by SethPhotopoulos (5381 posts) -

Starcoon is a bad name because it just sound wrong. Kind of a lame name.

#139 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2972 posts) -

There are several prior used for the word in english:
1) Short for Raccoon
2) A member of the American Whig party
3) A sly person or sometimes backwoods person, noted for wearing a raccoon skin hat
4) A derogatory term for a African American

The authority on English language usage I the OED, and they put the derogatory term fourth because of historical usage. So, in the end it could be argued a few ways. These days people just avoid the term because the most recent use is derogatory.

#140 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I'd think it was just a bad joke if it was anybody except Kotaku.

#142 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3885 posts) -

@SpaceInsomniac

Unless there is an alternate etymological construction for how faggot came to refer to homosexuals, in which case I'd be glad to recant in face of evidence.

How about you just recant in the face of being wrong and spreading misinformation? You don't need evidence of how a word was first used before you stop continuing to believe an urban legend about the subject.

#143 Posted by Hunkulese (2842 posts) -

As the name of a game about a space racoon no.

If this was someone's online username I'd say yes.

#144 Posted by Gamer_152 (14100 posts) -

So this thread has just come to the attention of the mod team and a lot of what is going on in here is not okay. The forum rules clearly state that homophobic and racial slurs are not allowed here, and that those who use them will be moderated. We've tried to spell this out very clearly, but it seems it's not working. It looked like things in this thread were going uphill during page 2, but it seems clear that people can't discuss this without resorting to the kind of language Giant Bomb just does not want to support. Putting a lock on this.