• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Yes people will think less of anyone that likes wrestling, even other wrestling fans.

#52 Edited by TyCobb (1973 posts) -

@max_cherry said:

Andre the giant was 46 when he passed away; Mr.Perfect was 43; and Owen Hart was 34. Even Randy Savage who was much older than the three aforementioned names when he died was only 58! The list goes on and on. Wrestling is not worth it.

Stop being a dick. You can't blame wrestling for the deaths of its performers just because that's what they did for a living. With that mindset, I could blame music for the death of every musician. Should I blame music because Jimi Hendrix asphyxiated on drugs? No, because that would be fucking stupid.

Below are some corrections to your statement.

• Andre the Giant
    • Died because of his disease. He wasn't supposed to live past 40.
  • Mr Perfect
    • Actually 44 when he died and died because of cocaine. Performers overdose; you can't blame wrestling.
  • Owen Hart
    • Died because he triggered the damn quick release on accident.

#53 Posted by Hunkulese (2877 posts) -

Admittedly I haven't watched wrestling much in the last decade but when I've tried it's been pretty horrible. The attitude era kind of ruined wrestling. Wrestling used to be dumb and stupid which made it fun to watch. After the attitude era they cut way back on the gimmicks which got rid of the stupid. I can get behind dumb and stupid but just dumb not so much. There aren't many wrestlers with the charisma to work the I'm a badass and use my real name angle and that seems to be what they're forcing on everyone.

Again I may be completely off base but that's the impression I've gotten the few times I tried to watch it.

#54 Posted by Miketakon (514 posts) -

I don't under why you would be ashamed of wrestling. Especially when you're into the video games.

#55 Edited by stryker1121 (1582 posts) -

@manmadegod said:

One thing I don't understand is how people can hate on new WWE when those same people admit that they don't watch it.

I also don't think many of the story-lines from pre-attitude era were better than what's on TV today.

-O no, Macho Man is jealous because Hogan is helping Ms. Elizabeth. Time to fight!

-Lets have a bodybuilding contest. O, I lost (Rick Rude)? That's it, time to fight!

Someone help me out

If you're talking about 80s-era wrestling it was special for people who grew up back then partially because u didn't have the oversaturation we have today. Saturday mornings (for me) were for WWF Wrestling Challenge one-hour show. Feuds built up for months, and there were just four big events a year. The occasional Saturday Night's Main Event was a treat.

Now there's two major shows every week and a PPV every month. There's no spark anymore. Add WWE's monopoly of the biz, wrestling talent dying or leaving the business, and the "specialness" and fun of those old shows are missed by many.

Personally my favorite era was the Monday Night Wars of the late 90s. Early days of the NWO were brilliant and got me back into watching wrestling.

#56 Posted by Barrock (3553 posts) -

@tycobb said:

@max_cherry said:

Andre the giant was 46 when he passed away; Mr.Perfect was 43; and Owen Hart was 34. Even Randy Savage who was much older than the three aforementioned names when he died was only 58! The list goes on and on. Wrestling is not worth it.

Stop being a dick. You can't blame wrestling for the deaths of its performers just because that's what they did for a living. With that mindset, I could blame music for the death of every musician. Should I blame music because Jimi Hendrix asphyxiated on drugs? No, because that would be fucking stupid.

Below are some corrections to your statement.

• Andre the Giant
    • Died because of his disease. He wasn't supposed to live past 40.
  • Mr Perfect
    • Actually 44 when he died and died because of cocaine. Performers overdose; you can't blame wrestling.
  • Owen Hart
    • Died because he triggered the damn quick release on accident.

As a wrestling fan even I can't deny it's a tragic business. Drug abuse and worn out bodies are the norm. It's different now but the list of casualties is high.

#57 Posted by TyCobb (1973 posts) -

@barrock: Sorry, I wasn't trying to cleanse it of all wrong. I know it was a dirty business and Vince was pretty much involved with its shadyness. I was just saying you can't just blame an entire industry and especially when things have changed 180º from then and now. Shit, baseball teams used to give their players amphetamines. Shit happens and we learn from them. Baseball obviously doesn't condone the use drugs anymore ;)

#58 Posted by TurboMan (7725 posts) -

@hunkulese: just to give you a quick overview on today's more "gimmicked" wrestlers:

Fandango: Ballroom dancer that has not yet debuted in WWE (every time he's about to debut, someone butchers his name and he get's offended by it). May or may not go back to his days of being a creeper and chloroforming people in the locker room.

Daniel Bryan: Won the World Heavyweight Championship and started yelling Yes! all the time. Then he lost it and AJ left him at the alter during a wedding and now he shouts No! all the time. Might soon start his next gimmick of being called... The Dazzler!

Damien Sandow: The intellectual savior of the masses. Comes out to classical music, holds the microphone like a glass of wine, has a beard, etc.

Jack Swagger: Has crazy old man 'Murica guy as his manager. Hates Mexicans (which is convenient since Alberto Del Rio is the World Heavyweight Champion). (also has a based theme song).

The Shield: Group of three new comers who randomly attack main eventers. Wear bullet proof vests and are unbeatable as a team (beat Ryback, Sheamus and John Cena clean).

WWE also just hired El Generico from the indies... an incredible wrestler with an incredible gimmick (Canadian guy pretending to be a luchadore... hardly knows any spanish or english...)

There's also The Funkasaurus and the Three Man Band, but I digress... There's plenty of excellent dumb things and characters in WWE... they even brought back Mae Young's hand baby...

#59 Edited by Fattony12000 (7559 posts) -

"nowadays"

#60 Posted by Aterons (198 posts) -

I used to watch it when i was a kid and it was kinda cool...watching it with friends and having matches between us but that was when I was around 8-10.

Nowadays I don't care about it but i have somewhat of a respect for the production value and the actors, those shows lasted for hours, that's like fucking Hamlet but add into that the fact that you have to constantly run, jump, fall and improvise your choreography from time to time.

But still, even if I can appreciate it for how hard it is to produce, I have to say I can't appreciate it as an entertainment method simply because it doesn't entertain me, simple as that.

Also, I can't say i know how low life expectancy and health problem risk are for those guys but id imagine they are in the same category as most professional sports player if not worst, it really seems like they would be better of doing something else... be it dancing or acting in movies/theater/free style or whatever else they can use their talent for, than again it's their life and their choice.

#61 Posted by MB (13090 posts) -

I loved pro wrestling back in the days of Ricky The Dragon Steamboat and George The Animal Steel...from when I was about 8-11 years old.

It's one of those things that I just can't believe adults are legitimately interested in...to each their own, I guess.

#62 Posted by rentacop (107 posts) -

Didn't catch TNT but it sounds like the quotes in the OP are from different people. I never look down at fans, as I used to be and still am a bit of one, but the part about the old days definitely holds true for me. Many of the championships nowadays are meaningless like last year with the tag team championship match at Wrestlemania being during the preshow. Then there's incredibly talented wrestlers like RO getting nearly jobbered while shitty gimmicks like "brodus clay" get more attention than they deserve. Maybe it's nostalgia but the personalities of the late 90s and balance between plot and wrestling were much better than they've been over the last decade.

That said, all of my feelings go out the window during the rare visit to a live show, whether it be indie or not. Especially non-televised shows where the wrestlers are solely putting on a show for the audience. Those are the best and some of the most fun I have at any live entertainment event.

#63 Edited by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

@thatindianguy7116: I don't bad mouth it, but if someone is more than an ironic fan of wrestling I'd probably end up assuming sort of bad things about them. Kind of like smokers and people who have really terrible dental hygiene (meeth and whatnot).

Not that I would totally look down on someone (to much) for it. But it would definitely make me cautious.

#64 Posted by Sanity (1947 posts) -

I dont look down on it or people that still like it personally, but i do shed a tear for what it used to be, i cant be sure if its nostalgia from my 12 year old self or not but the attitude era was just so good compared to what its become now.

#65 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

We only looked down on the Amazon in pro wrestling because he would eat people and that ain't cool man. That just don't fly with Starman.

#66 Posted by lazyhoboguy (62 posts) -

I liked it as a kid but realized how dumb it was. It's essentially just a bunch of greased up body builders badly acting in a soap opera and occasionally fake fighting each other. I just see pro wrestling as something that is hard to continue liking once you get older and realize its really fake.

#67 Edited by wwfundertaker (1404 posts) -

Just go watch New Japan Pro Wrestling and that will rekindle your spirit for wrestling.

#68 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -

@milkman said:

Being a wrestling fan means hating yourself to a certain degree. You deal with a lot of brain-numbingly stupid shit and need to be prepared to question what you're doing with your life but then there are moments that make it all worth it. Moments that you can point to and say "this is why I love wrestling."

Great match. Even greater storyline leading to it. One of the best promo done by a wrestler in years... Horrible ending to that angle. That storyline would have made wrestling as big as it was in the WCW/WWF era but in the end they botched it up.

#69 Posted by casper_ (908 posts) -

pro wrestling is kind of like everything awful/kinda rad about amurica rolled up into one big dumb, muscle-y, taking itself way to seriously, kinda racist, midget obsessed, unreasonably large tits pastry.

god bless america

#70 Posted by Picsl (195 posts) -

Depends on who you ask. Personally, I've never met someone who watches wrestling except to mock the hell out of how stupid it is. I mean, it's theatre, and I know that's the point, but watching people who look like they are good at fighting, talk shit like crazy, only to then slap each other around in a ridiculous-looking, obviously fake way.

Point is, wrestling is dumb, it always was, it probably always will be.

#71 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

once people realize there is more to wrestling than WWE than they wont be so down on it. there are tons of indes putting on killer shows.

Not to mention NEw japan has been killing it with its last few events

#72 Posted by Seroth (726 posts) -

Some people think it's still a shocking revelation when they tell people that wrestling is fake. That's silly, 'cause most wrestling fans already know this, and they still have fun with it.

Personally, I want more gimmicks. I want crazy costumed wrestlers with weird backstories. That's the kind of cheesiness I'm into.

#73 Edited by RenegadeDoppelganger (418 posts) -

I got out of following wrestling around the time WWE had that whole weird storyline about Kane having sex with a corpse that went on for weeks. As far as I'm concerned, when Jim Ross left, wrestling was never the same.

#74 Posted by tunaburn (1891 posts) -

it is completely terrible

#76 Posted by nerdsbeware (227 posts) -

@barrock said:

Everything was better back in the day. Except in the cases where it wasn't. It's revisionist history. The Attitude era was filled with plenty of shit as well.

Mae Young giving birth to a rubber hand. I think that sums it up pretty well.

#77 Posted by TurboMan (7725 posts) -

@barrock said:

Everything was better back in the day. Except in the cases where it wasn't. It's revisionist history. The Attitude era was filled with plenty of shit as well.

Mae Young giving birth to a rubber hand. I think that sums it up pretty well.

But when Mae Young's son was brought back, it was the BEST thing ever.

#78 Posted by nerdsbeware (227 posts) -

@turboman: Wow haha, I had stopped watching and did not know this happened. Amazing.

#79 Posted by TurboMan (7725 posts) -

Also, if you say that WWE has become too soft or their story lines just plain suck since the attitude era, you're living in nostalgia. Last night during a tribute match (CM Punk vs. Kane) towards Paul Bearer, there was an Urn placed at ringside in homage towards him. Punk lost the match to Kane and Undertaker came out to congratulate Kane by doing the bow thing. Then CM Punk steals the Urn and blindsides Kane with it. Wrestling is still awesome.

#80 Edited by MachoFantastico (4889 posts) -

Wrestling is a soap opera that men don't have to feel weird about watching (unlike most soap operas with... emotions). That's how my Nan once put it and she was right on the mark. I loved it as a kid, but like everyone grew out of it. That said, don't have anything against those that still love it. Though from what I can tell the majority of folks my age who watch wrestling watch it to take the pee out of it.

But I still have fond memories of it. I don't think wrestling as changed that much, just we lot grew older. I know a kid who adores wrestling and goes to the WWE UK shows (that sell out on most occasions).

#81 Edited by SeanCoughing (271 posts) -

All of my friends growing up loved it and I really tried to get into it, but I just couldn't. Strangely though as I get older I can appreciate it in an ironic sort of way, but its a far cry from enjoying or respecting it.

#82 Edited by Dunchad (506 posts) -

I just don't get it. Even if you compare it to soap operas - it still seems to be way more over the top and ridiculous.

We didn't get much of it here in Europe, but I do remember enjoying an episode or two of it when I was a kid - then I found out that it was all just play-acting and I was severely disappointed. I have never watched any since.

#83 Edited by TheHBK (5563 posts) -

It is looked down upon because of some of the dumb stuff you can see when you tune into it or because people will think you are dumb and ask the stupid question, "you know this is fake right?"

I love pro wrestling and unlike some people, I understand that today, it is still a pretty good product because like everything else in our lives, we look at the past with rose tinted glasses. The Attitude era, so loved by many but it so many dumb things in it. The Godfather as entertaining as he was, does the business no favors. The Oddities, or PMS, or Chainsaw Charlie. WCW with celebrity appearances and betrayals happening every week. Come on now. But people complain about the WWE being PG, but it was great when it was PG with Hogan and Savage. Look at how fondly we remember the Macho Man and he was the furthest thing from the Attitude Era. Quality has nothing to do with being mature rated.

I say look at the positives of today. CM Punk, Jericho, Daniel Bryan, Randy Orton (not so much), Cesaro, Del Rio, Miz, Ziggler. Dudes can put on a great match and you get one of those every RAW now it seems. And you still get the appearances by guys that remind you of the days you loved too. Lesnar, Triple H, Undertaker, The Rock, still show up to bring you back. The CM Punk character evolution has been something incredible to watch.

Now if you want to see what bad wrestling is, watch TNA. There have been only small glimpses of hope but man there is so much wrong with that show and the feeling you get. I think the ramp to the ring is so stupid, having it elevated the whole way is dump and limits action to the outside of the ring. The Aces and 8's group is stupid, with the group not having a shining star and being led by Devon, and being fought by Bubba Ray and Sting. Man, that is just sad. You can tell they don't know where they are going with this story and it is sad to see someone like Mr Anderson relegated to just another guy in the group.

Pro wrestling is always changing and we remember earlier experiences better but give it a chance and you will see it still has great stuff in it.

#84 Posted by TurboMan (7725 posts) -

@thehbk said:

Now if you want to see what bad wrestling is, watch TNA. There have been only small glimpses of hope but man there is so much wrong with that show and the feeling you get. I think the ramp to the ring is so stupid, having it elevated the whole way is dump and limits action to the outside of the ring. The Aces and 8's group is stupid, with the group not having a shining star and being led by Devon, and being fought by Bubba Ray and Sting. Man, that is just sad. You can tell they don't know where they are going with this story and it is sad to see someone like Mr Anderson relegated to just another guy in the group.

Actually, on Lockdown Bully Ray made (the most unsurprising) turn and revealed himself to be the leader of Aces & 8s. It was actually a pretty good moment, only to hear Bully yell "Let that stupid bitch cry" to Brooke Hogan. So, TNA can still do some things right.

(sorry the video is awful, only one that's made it to Youtube... might be taken down soon)

#86 Posted by antonborres03191989 (0 posts) -

(^^^)

#87 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11390 posts) -

Locked because of necroing. Also, there's an entire wrestling discussion thread on the site, please redirect any wrestling related discussions there.