Is Rick and Morty awesome?

• 69 results
Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Poll Is Rick and Morty awesome? (526 votes)

Yes 73%
No 27%

Rorie says it's awesome, Dan says burping all the time is annoying. Which side do you choose?

You know, I had no idea of Dan Harmon's involvement in Rick and Morty until recently. That guy really knows how to make a show.

• 
TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By TwoLines

Addendum:

The show seems to be just a lot of random dumb shit thrown together, but there's a layer of heart and poignancy to the whole thing that most other Adult Swim shows never even try to pull off.

I actually like the characters and how they clash with each other. Some episodes really explore their mental issues and character flaws.

Other episodes are full of dumb shit. Don't get me wrong though, Rick and Morty's dumb shit is still insanely creative and funny, so I'm totally cool with that.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Best comedy since Arrested Development. People who claim otherwise need to wise the fuck up.

... unless they simply prefer Xavier: Renegade Angel, 30 Rock, The Venture Bros. or other stuff that comes close.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm with Rorie.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just have to bump this to say this is probably my favorite show of the last few years and im not even done watching all the episodes. Also there are moments that are really getting to me/enabling my depression so i should probably stop? The end of auto erotic assimilation wrecked me in a way i would have never expected going in. I've always had a thing against sappy music montages in shows (see: bones), but the way rick and morty does it is so spot on and hits in all the right places.

Anyway, good show and i hope it keeps surprising me like it has been. (And it's totally cool if jeff and dan aren't into it )

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By BrainScratch

This is one of the few times where I pick Dan's opinion over Rorie's when talking about a movie or tv show.

Rick & Morty has a lot of potential, but it ruins it with constant burping, randomness for the sake of being random and below average animation and voice acting. I see it's appeal for some, but I can't understand the insanely huge praise it gets.

Do you want to know what's good random comedy? Easy: Monty Python.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

its all subjective but when someone says they can't watch Rick and Morty because of Rick's burps I gotta roll my eyes a bit bunch

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By kcin

I'm surprised by people who say the animation isn't good. It's...like it's the best, most visually creative, most fluid animation Adult Swim has been responsible for, maybe ever. The chase scene through the interdimensional airport early in season 1 is a fantastic example of the skill and attention to detail that the animation is executed with.

Also, saying that the show has too much randomness injected into it is just objectively not true, especially within the scope of Adult Swim shows (Sealab, Harvey Birdman, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, etc.) There is always a central story (or two) and central events that result in a full arc. Even in the episodes which are actually full of bullshit nonsense literally made up on the spot in the recording booth - the interdimensional cable episodes - the randomness serves the existential theme of the show and of the episode. (Except for the season two interdimensional cable episode, that one was just for fun and served no point.) In any other Adult Swim show, an alien made of nutsacks is the entire point, and is itself the joke. In Rick and Morty, an alien made of nutsacks is just a character with motivation, personality, and things that happen to him/her. Yes, it uses the concept of infinite dimensions to justify wild shit (arguably 'random' shit), but when the wild/random shit isn't strictly aesthetic, there is always a point to it (even if the point is usually that there is no point at all to the world around us).

The episode about the universe in Rick's car battery that powers his car is a great example of in-depth detailed and silly world-building that ultimately amounts to nothing when Rick smashes the car battery as a throwaway action in his haste to escape an pursuer, with no emphasis whatsoever drawn to the destruction of an entire universe whose inhabitants we have met.

I get if people don't like the show because of its tone, Rick is gross, the humor doesn't work for them, the relationship between Rick and Morty is too fucked up, or the show makes them uncomfortable, but when people say that the show is too random I get the impression that they either just can't articulate some other sentiment, or that they haven't seen enough episodes (or even a full episode). Is it really any more random than The Simpsons, or Arrested Development? Just replace weird townsfolk/family members with aliens and there isn't that great of a difference.

And for the record, the burps really work for me and I miss them since they basically cut it down to one burp an episode in season two.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: Uh, the last episode of season 2 can be pretty crushing for different reasons. Plus NIN's Hurt plays over the montage, and that song does things to my emotions that I do not like.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

wlleiotl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

disliking it because of the burping, which really only happens in the first episode is possibly the worst reason ive ever heard for disliking a show

its ok to say you dont get the humour, rather than coming up with some nonsense

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Short answer: No

Long answer: hell no

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Is it closer to adventure time or aqua teen hunger force? I was under the impression that it was a kids show that stoners also watched.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

It's the best thing.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

At least we're real Jerry, we're real!! Ricky ticky tavvy!!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Rick and rorie 100 years dot com!

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

It's not for me, but then again I haven't enjoyed an american tv cartoon since early simpsons.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Season One was solid, but Season Two really upped the ante in adult animation (as did Bojack's Season Two). Have to side with awesome on this one.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This is one of the few times where I pick Dan's opinion over Rorie's when talking about a movie or tv show.

Rick & Morty has a lot of potential, but it ruins it with constant burping, randomness for the sake of being random and below average animation and voice acting. I see it's appeal for some, but I can't understand the insanely huge praise it gets.

Do you want to know what's good random comedy? Easy: Monty Python.

Monty Python wasn't random humour at all. Surreal certainly, but there's always a logic to things, each sketch was finely crafted, and frankly much the same can be said about Rick & Morty, nothing is slapdash, the jokes might be odd, and they certainly don't hide from nonsequiters but it's more than just "Knock Knock? Who's there? Wibble. Wibble Who? Fart". Good humour is rarely random and the contemporary habit for conflating the surreal with "random lolz" is kind of a pet peeve.

Honestly, I wasn't even aware of Rick's burping until Dan mentioned it & since it was pointed out I've watched season 2 & it's never felt intrusive, even being aware of it. I also don't really agree about the animation being below average. It has it's own style and I get not liking it but I'm not sure you can technically describe it as below average. What made you say that?

But well, Monty Python is certainly good at surreal humour. There's far too many moments to single one, the deja vu sketch, summarize Proust competition, Raymond Luxury Yacht, almost all of Terry Gilliam's sketches, or good god, that one about "woody" & "tinny" words. So strange.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@habster3 said:

Season One was solid, but Season Two really upped the ante in adult animation (as did Bojack's Season Two). Have to side with awesome on this one.

I've had this discussion before with friends, but I actually think season 1 has waaaaay more memorable episodes. I'm not shitting on season 2 and saying that the episodes suck, but it's more that season 1 was insanely great, and season 2 is merely good. There are a couple season 2 episodes I think are pretty meh:

• Auto Erotic Assimilation, the one where Rick reconnects with the hivemind he used to date. The schtick is that Rick is so bad that he's a bad influence even on a world-conquering hivemind, but that's kinda the only joke for the whole episode. And the B-plot was Beth and Jerry just arguing in Rick's secret bunker when they discover an alien creature.
  • Get Schwifty. Aside from the part where they actually sing the completely dumb "Get Schwifty", most of the episode goes nowhere aside from the Ice-T part that is great. The cult subplot with Morty's family was eh.
  • Big Trouble in Little Sanchez: the B-plot where Beth and Jerry get couple's counselling in space and create creatures based on impressions of each other is fucking great, but the entire A-plot where Rick becomes a teenager just didn't do much for me, except the joke at the end where he brutally axes all of his other clones in suspended animation.
  • Interdimensional Cable 2: Tempting Fate. The first interdimensional cable episode is just SO good because at the end the payoff is that Beth and Jerry are more successful but miserable without each other, and it actually uses the interdimensional cable to close that story arc nicely. This one in season 2 is just random interdimensional cable gags (still pretty good) while they're in a hospital waiting room, and then a totally unrelated subplot where the only joke is "Jerry doesn't want his dick to get cut off" which gets old fast and ends super lamely.

Again, I don't think any of those are awful, unbearable episodes, but when I looked over the list of season 1 episodes, I love literally every one of them. A couple have weak B-plots, but it's usually in an episode where the A-plot is fucking phenomenal. I don't think Season 2 quite has any episodes that are instant classics in the way season 1 has "Rick Potion #9" (with the love potion that goes way too far) or "Close Rick-counters of the Rick Kind" (with the Council of Ricks).

shytown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rorie is right, Rick & morty is amazing and you should never trust Dan's opinion on anything. See also: wrestling, mayonnaise, wine.