Is school/college harder than work?

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By AngelN7

A few days Ago I had a realization and I don´t want to think too much about it because is gonna drive me nuts , so here´s what I think , is the system (parents, society) preparing you too much  for a big war that is actually easier than the traning you do for it? not counting kindergarden/pre-school , you spend 5-6 years in elementary school , 5 years in high school and then 3-5 years in College (and that varies of course but all is about the same in most countries take it as a general estimate) . Homework and other assigments are almost not present in most lines of work you do for the career you choose . for what I´ve heard and seen people working has so much free time in their hands (not counting people with kids just having the regular responsibilites) I always hear "Oh what a day , but at least I can relax and play some games or whatever when I get home" , sometimes as a student you can´t say that because there´s always something you need to do, free time? Nope you can grab a book and study you got a test in a few weaks, you forgot about it? you can do it other day? sure but the teacher or someone else will be there to remind you that.

If I am focusing all my attention into doing just one single activity insted of more than one  ( math,  physic, logic, algebra etc) , I think it would be pretty easy to do it  right , Im not claming that performing X Job or work  is easy but the amount of time you are being prepared to do it is lets say and average of 16 years, is way too much not counting the amount of time you spend doing side stuff that have not value or actual pay-off as far as giving you the proper tools to perform at a certain job , sounds stupid to say "I don´t need to know this" but at some point you should only be concern with what you need to learn  instead of what you´re being taught.  So what do you say  am I completely wrong thinking this or is something else I don´t see.
/ / sorry for the long text or any grammar errors english is my "second language" and sometimes I miss the context of what Im trying to say in english.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TotalEklypse

Most real knowledge is gained on your own. The rest is really just for show nowadays. 

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AngelN7
@TotalEklypse: You´re right experience you gain its one of the most valuable things,  yet  it only matters much later and after you spend all that time in School
intoblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By intoblivion

Depends how much you enjoy your work I suppose, If i had a job I enjoyed I would love work 

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By CastroCasper

I see your point. My friend busts his ass for 10 hours pouring and breaking concrete, heavy duty labor. He gets off of work and calls me up to go to the pool hall or something, but I am constantly up till 11 or midnight just working on some assignment.

At first I was going to say your crazy, but shit, either you are flexing your muscles or your brain. However, traditional schools get summer and winter breaks. Workers just get holidays.

I guess it all comes down to what your job is and what your going to school for. A graphic designer might have an easier time than a student getting their doctrine, and a high schooler has a much easier time than an oil rigger.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Junkerman

Having a good job owns.  I get to hike in some of the most remote locations in the world and take a helicopter to work every morning.  In essence, highschool/college is the shittiest part of life.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AngelN7
@kurtdyoung said:

I see your point. My friend busts his ass for 10 hours pouring and breaking concrete, heavy duty labor. He gets off of work and calls me up to go to the pool hall or something, but I am constantly up till 11 or midnight just working on some assignment.

At first I was going to say your crazy, but shit, either you are flexing your muscles or your brain. However, traditional schools get summer and winter breaks. Workers just get holidays.

I guess it all comes down to what your job is and what your going to school for. A graphic designer might have an easier time than a student getting their doctrine, and a high schooler has a much easier time than an oil rigger.

It varies depeding on the job as well as the career you take , as you said some are easier than others and some demand much less work for you . but damn sometimes I feel like having a Job is gonna be less demanding of what Im doing now, part of it is the preparation Im getting but also the fact that homework and useless asigments won´t take my productive time
uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By uniform

For me they're different kinds of hard. School was hard because I just wanted to have fun. Work is hard because I'm aware I've been living the same day for a very long time.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By subject2change
@uniform said:
For me they're different kinds of hard. School was hard because I just wanted to have fun. Work is hard because I'm aware I've been living the same day for a very long time.
that is why I freelance. I move from place to place every few months. usually similar roles but I get to meet new people, make connections and more or less vacation when I want. it can be stressful when i don't get a gig for a bit but it keeps me sane.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Example1013

Well, the job is hard, but when you're the best there is at what you do, and what you do isn't very nice, there aren't many options.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AngelN7
@example1013 said:

Well, the job is hard, but when you're the best there is at what you do, and what you do isn't very nice, there aren't many options.

Well... Thanks Bub now I won´t have to Snikt you out
bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bearshamanbro

No, working is much harder if you're planning on having a job that is challenging and pays well. Think of it this way, in school if you mess up a test or project you'll get docked some on your grading. In the real world, you're still getting tested but there are real stakes in how you perform. For example, maybe you're leading a project that has $300,000.00 behind it and if you mess up that is a much bigger deal (may lose your job) than getting docked on a grade. Another thing to consider is you may have homework in school, but unless you are really diligent you are probably not coming close to 40 hours of solid work as a student. Yeah, you may sit in class in class 35 hours a week and do 6-10 hours of homework but that doesn't compare at all to working for a solid 40-50 hours a week. As a professional you have to be always "on". FWIW, my career is in web/graphic design and like a lot of other jobs you have to put in extra time to make sure that you're staying up with industry trends and keeping up with all of the software.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AngelN7
@bearshamanbro: You´re right in that the stakes are higher at the line of work, mistakes are not easy  to correct, but at the same time you have a very specific work right? you don´t have to put attention into subjects like history or physics laws or thousans of other matters than don´t concern your line of work, thats the thing about school/college you have to be prepared in all those topics for tests and assignments and even worst if you have no interest in one in particular probably you´re not gonna do a good job at caring for them , I complety agree with you in that performing X Job is not easy but at the same time is not even as demanding of you as far caring and doing assignments that while manageable at some point became pointless and not productive , all you do in work is profitable to you in school you do plenty stuff that to me serve no purpuse
Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Matfei90

This has recently become apparent to me. Can't wait to get out of college so I can 'clock off' and work doesn't follow me home. And I get my weekends to myself without feeling guilty or being disadvantaged by taking them.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AngelN7
@Matfei90 said:
This has recently become apparent to me. Can't wait to get out of college so I can 'clock off' and work doesn't follow me home. And I get my weekends to myself without feeling guilty or being disadvantaged by taking them.
Exactly , I mean damn sometimes is Sunday at 5pm and Im alrealdy feeling that I have tons of things to do just because the week is about to start again , and feeling gulty about knowing you have something to do yet you´re tired or just want to rest for a bit of it is the worst, even more when people who are weekend free all the time annoy you by telling you everything they do with their free time  , also being in the middle of people who don´t give a shit about their academics stuff and people who are just way too much into it is also the worst. 
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It depends on what you are doing, obviously, but being a student definitely has its benefits. Last year I was in Uni 3 days a week, lots of time for drinking and games.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

School system is bullshit. That is all.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By I_smell

Growing up and getting on with people is the hard part. School is really about just developing yourself n finding out how the world works. Assignments n homework who gives a shit.

I'm glad I'm not in a network of like 600 other people now, BUT work is harder, dealing with bosses is harder, living on yr own money is harder, and basically everything else is harder.

But having friends is easier.

EDIT oh you're in college. WELL- Nevermind, I dunno! I didn't go to college.

bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bearshamanbro

@angeln7: I get pulled in to all sorts of things outside of my specific field, this can be different for everyone though. For example I have to manage people, come up with estimates, plus much of the coding that I do has a lot of math in it. I've even had to do some public speaking, you just never know what you'll be asked to do. Looking back at school, I don't think that the subject matters are really that important (or the actual skills that you learn). I'll agree with you there. The important thing is just pushing your brain to do different tasks even if you never end up using it, think of it like pushups for your brain. Pushing your mind in new ways will only make it stronger and develop a strong sense of concentration. That's what school is supposed to be doing. When I was in school, I would have agreed with you and I even coasted through much of it as I thought is was mostly bs. Reality ended up hitting me eventually though when I figured out how hard I needed to work to be successful and I had a lot of bad habits to break. I think you're also talking about motivation, which doesn't get any easier to deal with. I'm constantly getting new projects that I have no desire to do. However, as a professional you have to find a way to make yourself do work you don't want to do.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By StaticFalconar

If you're a manager of someplace, there actually is homework, cause just like school, its a matter of deadlines and sometimes 8 hrs in the day just isn't long enough. If you're a sales person (or something like that), the night before some big sales presentation, I;m sure you're taking your own personal time to make sure you're ready.  

But then, there are the day laborers. Once that thing is built, moved, destroyed, etc. they don't have to worry about a damn thing. As soon as they clock out even if its not completely done, there's nothing more you can do anyway so why not grab a beer and relax.  

Things like working at a coffeh shop may be hard at first when you have to learn all the drinks and all, but eventually, its all in your head and your regular day is like some other laborer.  

With so many types and levels of school as well as jobs out there, there really is no clear answer. 

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AngelN7
@bearshamanbro: Hmm thats interesting , I never thaught of it that way so maybe I just need to take a new point of view of what I feel is pointless and look the side of it that can be really usefull in the future, I know that all the time you spend study is to make you develop the skills you are going to need in the future what ever Job you choose , Its just kinda hard to see some of them to be of real use for that job, maybe they aren´t but there´s no question they are usefull for myself gain more knowlage overall is never a bad thing  thanks for the advice.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iam3green

i thought from what i have they were both easyish. i have worked in maintenance for a building, mailroom (same place, just different departments)  i went to school came home worked on school worked and then i was done. when i worked, i didn't care what was going on the next day. it was pretty much the same day over and over. some places you don't have to worry about stuff.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Kyreo

Work is harder. School is intermingled with things like social interactions, friends, interesting teachers/professors, and fun assignments. It makes it less shitty. Work is just work, unless you enjoy your job. Most people don't though.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@TotalEklypse said:

Most real knowledge is gained on your own. The rest is really just for show nowadays.

This. Unless you're a doctor or lawyer, your education is mostly a certificate saying you're at least somewhat competent. (though even that is not guaranteed)

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Oh kids thinking you can clock off once you've done your 'day' of work.

Anyone that isn't flipping burgers or doing basic data entry is going to have responsibility, and responsibility in your professional life means you will have too much to get done to be able to fit it into your work day, as no company ever hires enough people for the job.

If you ever want a position that pays well, be prepared for frequent 14 hour days and checking emails on your blackberry at 2 in the morning. Freelancing is no easier either, but at least in that regard you're usually being compensated for the extra time (or you're choosing to use that time yourself, depending on the style of freelancing).

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By Vinny_Says
@angeln7 said:
 5 years in high school and then 3-5 years in Collage
Apparently 5 years in high school isn't enough. 

All joking aside, it all depends on the job. Go work in a steel mill and remake this thread. My friend recently became manager of our workplace and he has almost no more free time. He does have a bunch of debt so It's a good thing he took the job, but he just has so much crap to deal with. It all depends on the job....
AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AngelN7
@Kyreo said:

Work is harder. School is intermingled with things like social interactions, friends, interesting teachers/professors, and fun assignments. It makes it less shitty. Work is just work, unless you enjoy your job. Most people don't though.

There´s no such thing as fun assignments , social interactions are not mandatory and I personally feel they made you...,force you to them in school you know to "foster a fellowship envriroment" wich is BS because in the line of work you need to be agressive and then when you get the job need to be even more , ambitions are well recived, I know some lines or work require you to do the extra mile I understand that, but as far as doing extra assigments than don´t concern your academic interest and doing just mandatory stuff, School can be seen as more demading than certain jobs 
AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AngelN7
@Tim_the_Corsair said:
Oh kids thinking you can clock off once you've done your 'day' of work. Anyone that isn't flipping burgers or doing basic data entry is going to have responsibility, and responsibility in your professional life means you will have too much to get done to be able to fit it into your work day, as no company ever hires enough people for the job. If you ever want a position that pays well, be prepared for frequent 14 hour days and checking emails on your blackberry at 2 in the morning. Freelancing is no easier either, but at least in that regard you're usually being compensated for the extra time (or you're choosing to use that time yourself, depending on the style of freelancing).
I can´t compare all lines of work of course , but a student does more than just go school and do homework, you have to be ahead of the programing ,constantly studying taking external courses , and sometimes just one course can take more time than you need to for keeping up with the others, again Im not saying is easier in general but  focusing your whole attention in your line of work seems to me easier than doing that for every different course you take in schooll/college , but like people say no risk no gain you get paid for the effort you make, for me its just hard to see how is that more dificult other than just having a bigger responsibility.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By Bruce
@angeln7:  

Short answer: YES. Long answer: DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU VALUE. 

Some people are good with their hands, never go to college, and make more money in a week than most people do in a month. However, some people pride themselves on academic knowledge and want a bunch of diplomas on their wall (me). So, it depends. I've done the college thing, but I've also worked in school administration for a while, alongside a few events that I had to help organize as an office assistant. Was that work hard? Well, it depends. How difficult something can be is subjective. But, to better help answer you, you're mistaking -- when it comes to work -- "difficulty" for "tedium". Most jobs are rarely difficult, as in, you being asked to do something way above your ability; they're just tedious: Long, routine, with very little variety.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Both usually require getting up early so they both suck in their own unique way.

Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Burzmali

Part of my job involves writing proposals for anywhere from $250 to $500,000 worth of work. Talking to a potential client and getting the proposal right can make the difference between keeping all of the employees I have right now and laying off 10+ people. When people get sent home, I'm the one who has to do it. I'd take any amount of school work over that if I got paid for it. And I'm tied to my email every evening until I go to bed, including on the weekends. Anyone who gets to a high-ish position in a real career has much more responsibility and work than they did in school.

As far as all the stuff you do in school is concerned, the point of education is to prepare you to be a functional adult. As a kid, most people don't really know what they want to do when they grow up. So schools expose every student to all kinds of different things. You may hate history, but the kid who grows up to be an historian loves it. Furthermore, you never know what you'll use in your career. I hated English, but it's a major part of my job and I'm sure glad that I was forced to take four years of it in high school and three in college.

Avatar image for makoto_mizuhara_sakamoto
Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on what kind of school/work you have. They can both be cake, and they can both be hell... it's all what YOU make of it.

Alezor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Alezor

I think that School/College teaches you how to think, how to approach problems, how to analyse and reflect on things that happen to you, how to deal with frustration and Jobs are just down to whether you like it or not if you feel comfortable doing what you do or if you don't.. Because the amount of effort you put on things depends on much attention you put on it, which depends on if you like your job or not and how much passion do you put on it.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By Hizang

You think schools hard as a child but after a few years in the big wide world you would rather be at school.

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By harinosho

school is hard because you lack the free time, even though you get school holidays, some of that time is taken up by assignments or home work. depending on your course, it might take your entire holiday. Work would be cool if you had a job you liked.. its also hard but thats due to bills and stuff bogging you down.. if you didnt have bills you'd  probably work less and just get the stuff that you want (the fucking dream)... 

damn..just thinking about it.. depressing..

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By J12088

Socially it's just like being in school/college. Well i suppose you can drop the school bully who beats people up but you still get people bitching behind others backs. Not much changed there.

The work itself is dependent on the job. I can say I've yet to use anything i learned in secondary school in my adult life. College has helped but not much frankly. Certainly not enough to warrent the years i spent there. Pretty much go through that crap so by the end of it an employer will give you an interview..cause they wont if your CV is lacking. Is it harder? Eh..i g uess? I find it much more rewarding though.

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By ATrevelan

I'm a teacher, so this notion of being "off the clock" is completely foreign to me. Granted, my independent work is portable which certainly makes things a lot easier. I rarely work at home, opting to do most of my grading/planning/letter-to-the-editor-writing in a coffeeshop or on public transit.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@Junkerman said: 
  In essence, highschool/college is the shittiest part of life.
Awesome! puts the loaded revolver down and stops playing Russian roulette.
YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By YoThatLimp

Only college kids say school is harder, it is pretty hilarious.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

Man, I'm glad I've got my job and not the jobs that people above me have. Once it hits 5:30 I'm done with that shit till 8 the next day, very rarely I take a bit of work home but when I do it's normally just a bit of paperwork.

I found school and university rather tough because I'd rather do something than write about how I'd do it plus the temptation just to fuck it off and go to the pub is far greater.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Hizang said:

You think schools hard as a child but after a few years in the big wide world you would rather be at school.

Nope.
Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Otacon

Yeah, every useful attribute is usually self taught

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bestostero

Yes. School/College is definitely harder. You can slack off at work and be ok, you can't slack off in school... lol

Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xhavoc86 said:
Yes. School/College is definitely harder. You can slack off at work and be ok, you can't slack off in school... lol
Not if you're in the military, bud. I'm speaking from personal experience, so don't give me a bullshit answer.
Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Bestostero
@makoto_mizuhara_sakamoto said:
@xhavoc86 said:
Not if you're in the military, bud. I'm speaking from personal experience, so don't give me a bullshit answer.
I'm speaking from my personal experience too bud.
justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By justinnotjason

I think you're also forgetting some of us who are full time students taking 12+ credits ( I take around 14) and work full time (avg 38-52 hours a week).  
So if you think you have no time as a student, try doing both. You have NO TIME AT ALL. 

EDIT: Also for what it's worth, given the choice, I'd much rather be in school. It's more of a personal choice; I love to learn/study new things. I find it rewarding. Conversely my work is just useless dribble where I deal with peoples problems and have managers tell me I'm not doing it good enough to make them more money. 

Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xhavoc86 said:
@makoto_mizuhara_sakamoto said:
@xhavoc86 said:
I'm speaking from my personal experience too bud.
Well, lemme say this- you're given leeway in school, not at work. In the military, NO leeway's given.
Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Hitchenson

Wish I had half-terms, Summer Holidays, two weeks off for Easter etc. at work.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Maluvin

Whether school or work is harder is going to be a question of how you apply yourself.  School is cake if you pick certain degrees and just want to graduate.  You may suffer for that choice later but it's easy in the meantime.  If you apply yourself and take on challenging courses it's an extraordinary amount of work. 

There's a lot of jobs that aren't necessarily fun but you can get by doing the minimum.  However, if you choose to apply in certain workplaces and push yourself it can be very demanding (but possibly rewarding). 

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SSValis
@Junkerman said:
Having a good job owns.  I get to hike in some of the most remote locations in the world and take a helicopter to work every morning.  In essence, highschool/college is the shittiest part of life.
what's your job...please tell!