Is selling stuff on ebay worth it?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

This weekend I went through all my old stuff and I found a couple of items that were sitting in my old bins that I don't use anymore and I am interested in selling them. Now I am interested to know if selling them on ebay is even worth it or if there any other web sites I should check into. All the items are in excellent condition, though they are "used" they were new when I bought and they are still in their original box and only used once. Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

If you like money, then Ebay is worth it. I don't know what else to tell you... It's where I sell shit.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Kohe321

I would sell them, you'll make more money off of that then throwing them away. Only thing you need to ask yourself is whether or not the stuff you're going to sell is worth the hassle of packaging and shipping.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Bruce
@Mordukai: 

It is, but it's hard to get into selling items. Most people want to buy stuff from sellers with good seller's feedback, which is hard to establish as a new seller. Then you get into the whole ordeal of dealing with Paypal, shipping crap, etc.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mordukai
@Bruce:  
I tried selling them to people I know but they are a bunch of cheap asses who think that everything used should be 5 bucks. I tried selling my Korg Kaoss KP2 pad to someone I know but he wanted to pay me only 80 bucks for it. Now the thing is in excellent condition and was only used once and it's still in it's original packaging with no scratches. the thing looks fucking new...I told him to fuck off. 
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RetroIce4

Depends on what it is. You could use craigslist for local because there are fees with  ebay and paypal accounts. I made like $90 selling just junky stuff. Gameboy color games and really old PC Games.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By subject2change

Big fan of eBay personally. Show you are legit with good accurate descriptions and a picture. Become paypal verified and ship to where you feel comfortable shipping to. People will buy from sellers with low feedback because PayPal and eBay are great at dealing with fraud and stuff. Provide tracking and insurance as well and dont insanely overcharge for shipping.

Sold off a bunch of stuff a few months ago and made close to 500 USD from things i haven't used in ages.

Craigslist can be good but people often tend to flake out and not show up or try to haggle with you. Games and stuff use Half.com as you can leave it listed for as long as you want with no cost until it sells. And eBay for everything else.

If you often attend Yard Sales during the summer and fall, you can make serious money buying cheap and selling on ebay. I had friends that did it for video games, magic cards and other "nerd" stuff.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@Mordukai said:
" @Bruce:  I tried selling them to people I know but they are a bunch of cheap asses who think that everything used should be 5 bucks. I tried selling my Korg Kaoss KP2 pad to someone I know but he wanted to pay me only 80 bucks for it. Now the thing is in excellent condition and was only used once and it's still in it's original packaging with no scratches. the thing looks fucking new...I told him to fuck off.  "
Well, you should see what they're bidding for on Ebay before
deciding. It could be that a used (like new) Korg Kaoss KP2
only goes for $80 on Ebay.  If it goes for $120, then you tell
your buddy that you can sell it for $120 & then if he agrees
he'll pay you the higher price & you don't have the hassle
of having to sell it on ebay, nor do you have to tell him to 
fuck off.

I've dreamed of selling my junkery on ebay. I've amassed
quite a collection. Sanford & Son would be proud of my 
habidashery.  However, I'm a bit lazy in setting it up & selling
stuff.

Since I just bought a newer CD player from ebay, I think
I will sell my old CD player on ebay. One goes out &
one goes in.
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Cerza

Yes it's worth it. Do what Subject2Change has suggested above and you should be fine. There is no better place for getting rid of your old junk at the price you want for it than ebay.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mordukai
@Subject2Change: Cool, thanks. I'll give that a go.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11  Edited By Suicrat

eBay is one of the business world's great recycling schemes, but seller beware.

Most of the posters have provided adequate warning as to how you should do it and what to look out for. I wouldn't recommend Craig's List (unless you're only willing to ship inside your metro area anyway), mainly because most of the people on that site are shady (we all heard about the fucked up stuff that has happened to some people).

The most important piece of advice however has already been said, but it bears repeating: demand is fairly accurately reflected by the bidders, so search eBay for the items you want to sell (before you put them up), and if the prices don't seem sufficient, well tough luck. In a free market, price signals are the easiest way to tell if an endeavour is worth one's time and effort, and eBay is among the closest things the world has to a free market.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By subject2change

Unless he/she is selling their body on Craigslist using CL isn't a big deal. You generally meet in a public location unless the item is huge and needs a pickup or something to move/deliver. I have purchased games off of Craigslist, however I met the person outside of Penn Station in Midtown Manhattan and not in some Hotel or some alley. However i do like eBay better for that reason as you are never interacting physically with the person, in this day and age that is the norm anyway. The "Hey you the guy from Craiglist" awkwardness goes out fhe window, despite it often being funny.

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By fugie7

well go sell it on ebay, its better then trading it in at gamestop or another store for ''store credit''

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JJOR64

It depends on what you are selling.

rjimmy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rjimmy1989

eBay is definitely worth it especially if your selling games on there it is at least better than gamestop

JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16  Edited By JamesF

Once in a while, yes. All the time, I don't think so. It's a hell of a lot of hassle.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iam3green

i would say yes. u can also try craiglist. it's more of a local type of thing. i found a lot of times people usually ask something say they want to buy it but never get back to u.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By subject2change
@JamesF said:
" Once in a while, yes. All the time, I don't think so. It's a hell of a lot of hassle. "
Selling on eBay or Half.com isn't really a hassle; most items already have their info stored so its simply putting in an item number and a stock image unless you feel you need your own (for a game, just be accurate with the description). Get paid with PayPal, print out shipping slip from PayPal/USPS, pack item in Bubble Mailer, drop off at Post Office and done. Get paid more and don't have to get ripped off by GameStop/EBGames.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LiquidPrince

If you do a good job of it at a fair price then yeah.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By asurastrike

Here is a problem I had selling games on Ebay that I've never seen anyone adress.

When you sell games on Ebay you generally get about 5-10 dollars more than you would selling to Gamestop. That's awesome, until Ebay takes their cut, and then you are left with Paypal dollars which there is a fee to transfer out of your paypal account and into your bank account. So by the time you actually get earth dollars you are at about the same profit as selling a game to gamestop, but it took a lot longer.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#21  Edited By Atlas

I've made like £500 selling old stuff on eBay in the past couple of years. It's totally worth it.
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By dbz1995

I was able to sell loads of pretty old PS2 games that I had bought 3 for £20 (I'd say around $10 in America-3 for $30) and sold them £7 each including postage and packaging (which is around $3 in total).

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By subject2change

There is no withdrawal fee. Not with my account at least. Also many online retailers accept PayPal as a payment; you can simply use those funds in your PayPal.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RsistncE

Stay the fuck away from Craigslist. Too many sketchy weirdos on there. I'll be posting my story on my current "Craigslist-is-full-of-weirdos" story once it comes to a wrap in real life :S

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By TheHBK

Yeah, go for it.  Ebay charges about 3% to sell stuff on the site, so 3% of what it sells for goes to them.  But there is no better way to sell stuff.  If we are talking game stuff, a lot better than Gamestop.  There are other sites but none have the exposure that Ebay does so more people will see your items.  You could try craigslist, sell local and get cash.