• 104 results
Posted by TurboMan (7396 posts) 4 months, 16 days ago

Poll: Is Space Jam a good movie? (394 votes)

Yes 67%
No 33%

It's time to stop this silly argument once and for all. Is Space Jam good or bad?

#1 Edited by Yummylee (21244 posts) -

Man, I haven't seen it in like over a decade or something... I remember enjoying it a lot, but at my age then that hardly equates to me thinking it was a good movie. One thing I always remember was feeling really smart at correcting the joke about the ''I didn't know Dan Akroyd was in this picture'' line, referring to Bill Murray. Completely flew my over my head at the time... That, and the Pulp Fiction reference I always assumed was actually a reference to MiB. But again, I was probably like 10 when I first saw it, and around 15 the last time.

#2 Posted by natetodamax (19170 posts) -

Of course it is.

#3 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

The only thing I remember is the nostalgia critic review and that Bugs and co were really assholes. Can't say much about quality. But I look forward of seeing the first trailer of Space Jam 2

#4 Posted by Hailinel (23873 posts) -

It's entertaining in an exceedingly dumb way, but I wouldn't call it good.

#5 Edited by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

It depends on how you define 'good.'

#6 Posted by RecSpec (3763 posts) -

Fun, but not good. Like a Big Mac.

#7 Posted by cmblasko (1122 posts) -

Sure it is. The animation in particular still holds up fairly well.

#8 Posted by Kidavenger (3509 posts) -

It was fine for kids when it came out, I don't think many kids would care much about MJ or BB anymore.

There isn't anything there for an adult to enjoy other than nostalgia.

#9 Edited by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

As a kid I would have said yes. As an adult who tried to go back and watch it recently I will give a resounding NOPE. If you have never seen it before and you go in with enough expectations that you are going to watch a dumb movie that has no reason to exist, then you can probably enjoy it ironically though.

#10 Posted by believer258 (11630 posts) -

I'd have to watch it for the first time in, like, a decade. Is it on Youtube?

#11 Edited by Legion_ (1254 posts) -

It's basically my generations Citizen Kane.

#12 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11471 posts) -

I saw it for the first time in like 15 years a while ago. It's a "good" movie, but by no means is it a good movie.

#13 Edited by falserelic (5324 posts) -

Hell Yeah! I had fun watching that fucking movie. I felt like I wanted to fly like an eagle into the future, just fly like an eagle into the sea, you know fly right into the future.

EDIT: Song got stuck in my head, now I got to download it.

#14 Posted by Yummylee (21244 posts) -

@falserelic: OH FUCK MY MINNNNND THE NOSTALGIA IS JUST POURING OUT OF ME EARS RIGHT NOW

#15 Edited by ModernAlkemie (358 posts) -

I saw it in theaters when I was a child, and that child version of myself thinks Space Jam is wonderful.

I am completely content in never seeing that film again and preserving my rose-tinted vision of it.

#16 Posted by Kaiserreich (684 posts) -

It is the best movie.

#17 Edited by shivermetimbers (763 posts) -

Yes, if its from the 90s and features Michael Jordan, it has to be good.

#18 Edited by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

No.

Couple years back a friend and I rented (yes, blockbuster was still around when we did this, shocking) Space Jam and Kazaam.....KAZAAM IS AWESOME! Both are bad movies, not going to deny that but Kazaam was infinitely more watchable. Space Jam will be awesome to watch with my son in a few years, he will be 4, after that the movie has no appeal.

#20 Posted by Felorn (12 posts) -

Nostalgia is what makes this movie good. Do I think there should be a sequel? Hell no.

#21 Posted by ShaggE (6327 posts) -

It was a fun movie, all jokes about "Space Jam is a stone cold classic" aside. Certainly not high cinema, but it's surprisingly watchable.

#22 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2479 posts) -

I remember liking it at the time...
but, then again, I also liked shit like the Mortal Kombat movie... and also all of those awful Adam Sandler movies like The Waterboy

so, uhh... I don't really trust 8-year-old me to have good taste in movies.

#23 Posted by EXTomar (4495 posts) -

Space Jam is a quality movie but since I haven't seen it recently so I'm not sure it holds up after this many years.

#24 Posted by TooWalrus (13135 posts) -

I remember it being a good movie when I was a child. I'm scared to go back and watch it.

#25 Posted by CatsAkimbo (601 posts) -

I watched it recently, and no. It can be "good" for a while, in an ironic sort of way, but it's hard to hold that sense of irony for the full length of a terrible movie.

#26 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2913 posts) -

For the last fucking time there's no such thing as objectively good movies. What is wrong with people's brains that they developed such an intense confusion between popularity and goodness? Fucking aARghghagh this world just wasn't meant for me.

#27 Edited by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

GREETING...EARTHLINGS......WE HAVE NOW TAKEN OVER YOUR RADIOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo.........

Is it sad that one of the best rap songs in history was from that soundtrack?

Also, that movie is fucking dope. Anyone that says otherwise needs to check their neck.

#28 Posted by JacDG (2114 posts) -

You guys are soulless, it's the best movie.

#29 Posted by RonGalaxy (2868 posts) -

It's who framed roger rabbit for corporate america.

#30 Posted by RonGalaxy (2868 posts) -

For the last fucking time there's no such thing as objectively good movies. What is wrong with people's brains that they developed such an intense confusion between popularity and goodness? Fucking aARghghagh this world just wasn't meant for me.

nothing is true, everything is permitted.

#31 Posted by Dalai (6995 posts) -

Yes it's a good movie, but I wouldn't go any farther than that.

#32 Edited by jking47 (1209 posts) -

What argument? Of course it is a good movie.

#33 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2913 posts) -

@geraltitude said:

nothing is true, everything is permitted.

hahaha perfect call

reminds me I should go back to ACIV one day but I'm totally stuck in some lame stealth don't-get-discovered missions

#34 Posted by Serpentenema (216 posts) -

The only scene that stands the test of time is when Charles Barkley and co. lose their basketball powers and struggle with their daily life.

"You're not Charles Barkley, you're just a wannabe who looks like him."

#35 Posted by futurstock (129 posts) -

even nowadays i can still appreciate the meshing of cartoon and real people,
imagine how stupid it was to film (talk to this bucket, we'll put bugs bunny there later)
the resulting movie is a family friendly good time!
if you practice hard, then maybe one day you too, can fight off the invading alien overlords with your sick basketball skill...z

#36 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5221 posts) -

My memory tells me it is, but I'm not going to ruin that by going back and watching it.

#37 Edited by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

As a kid a great movie. As an adult its alright.

#38 Posted by Jay_Ray (1070 posts) -

Space Jam is good if you are 10 or stoned.

#39 Edited by GorillaMoPena (1922 posts) -

The whole movie is worth it for the Bill Murray subplot payoff

#40 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (1945 posts) -

@gorillamopena said:

The whole movie is worth it for the Bill Murray

This is a completely reasonable statement in and of itself.

#41 Posted by Wikitoups (775 posts) -

@falserelic: you picked the wrong song the right one works great with Dave Lang too!

#42 Posted by TotalHell (16 posts) -

Space Jam was not particularly good in being true to the Looney Tunes characters. The whole thing felt very commercial and bad, even when I was young.

#43 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3741 posts) -

ha I knew it would be YES and it's so absolutely not. And I'm a huge basketball fan and I really like Looney Tunes. And Bill Murray! That movie is not good though.

#44 Posted by MC_Hify (321 posts) -

The stuff with Bill Murray is good.

#45 Posted by Milkman (16524 posts) -

No, it's fucking terrible. Don't be crazy.

#46 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (529 posts) -

That movie is alright by me.

#47 Posted by sungahymn (986 posts) -

I liked it quite a lot, actually.

#48 Posted by jiggajoe14 (646 posts) -

I still enjoy it quite a bit.

#49 Posted by EXTomar (4495 posts) -

@milkman said:

No, it's fucking terrible. Don't be crazy.

Are you a closet Charles Barkley super fan? The only other person I have ever ran into that says Space Jam is that horrible says so because they were a Barkley fan.

#50 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1692 posts) -

I haven't seen it since I was little, so yes, it is a fucking masterpiece of cinema.