• 104 results
Posted by TurboMan (7542 posts) 6 months, 12 days ago

Poll: Is Space Jam a good movie? (394 votes)

Yes 67%
No 33%

It's time to stop this silly argument once and for all. Is Space Jam good or bad?

#51 Edited by cmblasko (1235 posts) -

Maybe the fact that Space Jam's existence led to the creation of Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden is lending favor to my thoughts on the movie.

#52 Posted by Milkman (16791 posts) -

@extomar said:

@milkman said:

No, it's fucking terrible. Don't be crazy.

Are you a closet Charles Barkley super fan? The only other person I have ever ran into that says Space Jam is that horrible says so because they were a Barkley fan.

Well, for the record, Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden does pretty much everything Space Jam tried to do and trounces it just about every category by astronomical proportions.

But no, I'm not a Barkley super fan. I actually owned Space Jam on VHS as a kid and watched it TONS of times. So I feel even more qualified in telling you that it is a piece of garbage movie.

#53 Posted by CornBREDX (5285 posts) -

Really that's subjective.

I liked it when I watched it many many years ago so yes.

I don't know that it holds up though. I know there are better movies that mix live action with animation (such as Who Framed Roger Rabbit which I think is still an amazing film) but... meh I liked space Jam when I saw it. If it was between that and Who Framed Roger Rabbit, though, Space Jam would lose.

#54 Posted by Tajasaurus (867 posts) -

yo if you don't think space jam is a good movie you take everything *way* too seriously

#55 Posted by Cerberus3Dog (336 posts) -
@hailinel said:

It's entertaining in an exceedingly dumb way, but I wouldn't call it good.

Space Jam in a nutshell.

#56 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2463 posts) -

No.......

#57 Edited by audioBusting (1541 posts) -

I unironically liked the Space Jam video game on the PlayStation.

#58 Posted by The_Nubster (2144 posts) -

I remember liking it at the time...

but, then again, I also liked shit like the Mortal Kombat movie... and also all of those awful Adam Sandler movies like The Waterboy

so, uhh... I don't really trust 8-year-old me to have good taste in movies.

the first Mortal Kombat is just cheesy and silly enough that you know they didn't take themselves too seriously. the second movie just has a ton of awful special effects and is poorly shot and poorly acted.

#59 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2389 posts) -

Go look at the hilarious song remixes people have made from that theme and then try to tell me Space Jam sucks.

Well it does, but the internet made it awesome.

#60 Posted by Hunter5024 (5683 posts) -

It's the best movie about a famous basketball player who shoots hoops with cartoon characters in a parallel animated world.

I mean with a concept like that, it's about as good as we could possibly expect.

#61 Posted by NegativeCero (3003 posts) -

My childhood self will fight anyone who talks shit about this movie. I pretty much haven't seen it since then, but I think I would enjoy it for its absurdity.

#62 Posted by Hailinel (24798 posts) -
#63 Posted by NegativeCero (3003 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Guys, just to remind you, the Space Jam official website is still operational in all of its mid-'90s web design glory.

Holy shit. Why does this exist? The design is truly amazing.

#64 Edited by StarvingGamer (8239 posts) -

The game for SNES(?) was amazing.

#65 Posted by Rolkien (72 posts) -

When I was a little boy and saw the movie I loved it soooo much. I only really knew about Michael Jordan and Charles Barkely since I was sort of a huge basketball fan, and of course with the looney tunes there it drove me insane. I think it was a great kids movie and I haven't seen it lately but I'm sure it'd hold up.

#66 Posted by ch3burashka (5073 posts) -

I didn't know 36% of people on Giant Bomb are terrible human beings...

#67 Posted by ajamafalous (11994 posts) -
#68 Posted by Mendelson9 (402 posts) -

Can't really say, I liked it as a kid but I don't think I would like it today if it was my first time viewing it.

#69 Edited by Coolarman (734 posts) -

Its not a good movie but its a "good" movie. If you know what i'm saying.

#70 Posted by Strife777 (1580 posts) -

I'll say yes, but only because I haven't seen that movie since I was like six or something and I have weird nostalgia for it.

No idea if it holds up or if it was actually any good to begin with.

#71 Edited by crithon (3239 posts) -

aside from the internet making it into a dumb meme..... yes it's still good. Just annoying seeing the whole "LETS DO MASH UPS WITH THE SPACE JAM SONG!!" There's good stuff in this film.

#72 Posted by Nasharoo (61 posts) -

It is still fantastic fun to watch now, aren't all kids movies a bit shit really?

#73 Posted by Hailinel (24798 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Guys, just to remind you, the Space Jam official website is still operational in all of its mid-'90s web design glory.

Holy shit. Why does this exist? The design is truly amazing.

It's like a brilliant last gasp of mankind's earliest web design foibles.

#74 Edited by Yesiamaduck (1073 posts) -

It isn't a good movie; But for some reason it... it totally is.

#75 Posted by egg (1467 posts) -

"It's time to stop this silly argument once and for all. Is Space Jam good or bad?"

There is no definitive answer.. it's like trying to prove whether the chicken came before the egg. There will ALWAYS be people on both sides of the fence; those who think Space Jam is a bad movie and those who think it is a masterpiece of cinema.

#76 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

The movie gets a thumbs up from me because of the Bill Murray cameo. Seriously, it made no real sense in or out of context, but hey Bill Murray. Why not?

#77 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

Space Jam was not particularly good in being true to the Looney Tunes characters. The whole thing felt very commercial and bad, even when I was young.

In this and who framed Roger Rabbit. Toons are real assholes compared to the show. Maybe that is why I never liked Space Jam. They did not feel like the toons i grew up with.

#78 Edited by teh_destroyer (3567 posts) -

I still have the vhs and soundtrack laying around here somewhere.............

#79 Edited by RazielCuts (2954 posts) -

One reason -

Let's get weeeeiiirrrd.

#80 Posted by Doctor_Mummy (17 posts) -

Space Jam is my generation's Citizen Kane.

#81 Posted by Neonie (438 posts) -

This alone proves it's worth as a movie.

#82 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

This came up with some friends recently. I was Space Jam's sole defender.

Shortly after, they were all in a tragic, horrifically violent accident.

#83 Posted by Andorski (5310 posts) -

No. It's a fucking fantastic movie.

#84 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3392 posts) -

@mikkaq said:

The movie gets a thumbs up from me because of the Bill Murray cameo. Seriously, it made no real sense in or out of context, but hey Bill Murray. Why not?

Bill Murray's from Chicago and an avid Cubs and Bulls fan. There's your context right there. Cameo I agree was pretty great.

#85 Posted by Thabass (8 posts) -

I loved the movie and I think nostalgia goggles can come into play with this movie. Bit, the way I see it, it's not like it was filmed terribly and had some decent pacing (they seemed to rush into the game towards the end), but I think it's a pretty solid movie.

#86 Edited by Rotnac (770 posts) -

The intro really doesn't hold up anymore but it's still a good movie.

#87 Edited by falserelic (5437 posts) -

Good ole basketball.

#88 Edited by Tearhead (2168 posts) -

@onekillwonder_ said:

I haven't seen it since I was little, so yes, it is a fucking masterpiece of cinema.

Pretty much what I thought when I was 7. So since I haven't seen it since then, and this is what I remember from it: Loony Toons, Michael Jordan, I Believe I Can Fly and Hit 'Em High. Dude, yeah, Space Jam is the greatest movie ever made.

#89 Posted by SinGulaR (2310 posts) -

It's a good movie for people who are about 11 years old and who remember the vibe and the Zeitgeist of the 90's. Which would be no one today.

#90 Edited by GalacticPunt (1057 posts) -

I finally watched Space Jam last year, and wanted to like it. But naw man, it's just not a good movie. It's an IMPORTANT movie, in that it serves as back-story to Shut Up and Jam Gaiden and gave us that fantastic Quad City DJ's song, but it's not good.

It's poorly written, Michael Jordan can't act for shit, there's not nearly enough Bill Murray to save it, the "check out this fat guy" jokes at Nedry/Newman's expense were lame and mean-spirited, and that lovingly rendered "sexy" lady bunny is just creepy.

Charles Barkley was actually a good actor in his handful of scenes. I'll keep holding out for a "Shut Up and Jam: The Movie."

#91 Posted by Deadmanforking (577 posts) -

It's alright. I really liked it when I was younger, I can still go back to it and re-watch it.

#92 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4750 posts) -

No.

It's perfect.

#93 Edited by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

@mikkaq said:

Bill Murray's from Chicago and an avid Cubs and Bulls fan. There's your context right there. Cameo I agree was pretty great.

Well that makes way more sense. I was seeing it more like why was Bill Murray in a Looney Tunes movie, but that makes perfect sense.

#94 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3392 posts) -

@mikkaq said:

@i_stay_puft said:

@mikkaq said:

Well that makes way more sense. I was seeing it more like why was Bill Murray in a Looney Tunes movie, but that makes perfect sense.

I think you mean Dan Aykroyd.

#95 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

@mikkaq said:

@i_stay_puft said:

@mikkaq said:

I think you mean Dan Aykroyd.

Whoa whoa whoa, I didn't know Dan Aykroyd was in this picture!

#96 Posted by MocBucket62 (1229 posts) -

I just watched Space Jam not too long ago. There's some stuff I like in it, like the animation still looks good and Bill Murray's cameo is pretty awesome, and some stuff that does not hold up, like Michael Jordan's acting. Also, I never liked Lola Bunny since day 1(sexualized animals freak me out). There's still a nostalgia I have for this movie, but as its stands today, its not bad, just average.

#97 Posted by MattyFTM (14384 posts) -

It's a good kids movie, but it's not a movie I'd want to watch again as an adult.

#98 Posted by Quarters (1703 posts) -

Any innocence that remains in me compels me to say yes.

#99 Edited by ThatOneDudeNick (583 posts) -

No, but people remember it as incredible because they don't want to like the sequel to something from "back then". I was 10 years old when it came out. Everything was amazing as a ten year old. I'm sure Space Jam 2 will be a fun kids movie. It won't "ruin" Space Jam, because Space Jam was never good enough to be ruined. Space Jam is fun, not good. Which is all I expect it to be. There's nothing wrong with Space Jam for what it is. But if I'm judging it today the same way that I judge any other movie, it's terrible. That's the wrong way to look at Space Jam as an adult though. It's totally finebadgood.

#100 Posted by mracoon (4971 posts) -

I watched that movie so much as a kid and I've seen it several times as an adult too and I'd say it's a great family film. It's kind of crazy how good it is considering the absurdity of the premise: a live-action Loony Toons film about basketball featuring Michael Jordan and other professional NBA players as the main characters.