• 64 results
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

I just wanted to clarify, is climate change an issue because its leading to global cooling, or because its making the world warmer? 

I have no clue, and right now it seems colder than ever where I live.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Geno

The earth is warming, but nowhere near the rate that environmentalists claim. Currently it's going up by about 1 degree Celsius every 160 years. 160 years from now science will have easily found a solution (in fact even currently there are a variety of methods that can stop global warming, they are just yet to be fully implemented by any government, mostly because of the economy). 

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Ohio's weather is so fucked over, I have no clue.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By breadfan

It snowed here (Massachusetts) in the middle of October and November has been fairly warm compared to other years.  Then again that is just New England weather, who knows.  

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

in the UK, the summers just keepin get more unbearably hotter and the winters vice versa sooo hard to tell for me.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Xeiphyer

based on trends over the last 400,000 years (was just looking at this for my astronomy course, and general knowledge helps) The earth is in a warming state right now, of course this is completly natural for the earth to be warming since it cycles, however because of the drastically increased carbon emissions in the atmosphere its increasing faster than it should.

Also because the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere is directly related to the temperature of the planet, an increase in those gases will mean an increase in temperature of the planet, this is fact. If it wasn't then the planet would be hundreds of degrees colder than what it is, since thats the basic principle of an atmosphere.

Anyways, so you know the reasons why it would suck to increase the planets temperature, melt the polar ice caps which will raise the sealevel by several meters, which is enough to flood around 70% of asia, imagine trying to find a new place for all those people to live? That will suck since estimates place the world at around 7x overpopulated already.  And with all those resources destroyed you will have major food shortages, and when there are shortages of things, wars start over them, which will suck.

Also the change in temperature will affect ocean currents that cycle warm and cold water through the ocean (You probably have heard of the gulf stream), since these currents affect major weather patterns like hurricains you can expect to see a lot more of those. (hurricains are one of the main ways that warm water is brought to cooler waters). There will also be a large increase to the range of desert area in america and disrupted seasonal weather patterns.

The crappy thing is that once the ice melts at the poles, a domino affect will start since the white snow reflects a lot of sunlight, when that melts and the dark ground underneath is revealed, it will only get warmer, until eventually another Ice Age comes around, and since Ice ages can last hundreds of years, itd suck for it to be cold all the time =(

Plus a lot of the coast cities would be flooded, so no newyork or california or vancouver haha.

In truth though, I doubt it would ever get this bad, but that is scientifically what could happen based on current models and predictions. If the ocean levels do rise, what will happen is similar to what vancouver has, a sea wall, basically just keeping the sea away from the city.. but you get increased chances of things like hurricain katrina flooding new orleans (because its below sealevel but was protected by levees)

Still though.. Asia is probably going to get seriously fucked over if that happens, and since all our shit comes from there, we will be in shit. 

Anyways, just know that the media loves to blow things out of proportion, but we should still reduce our carbon emmissions since they are bad for the environment, so we might as well do it anyways.

McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By McPaper

Winter is cold man and Summer is hot. That's how it always will be.

RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RJMacReady

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j_dt9Bjj5yVV7k1PAyDnVHKvKtgAD9CAOU800

Professor Phil Jones has today announced that he will stand aside as Director of the Climatic Research Unit until the completion of an independent Review resulting from allegations following the hacking and publication of emails from the Unit.

Professor Jones said: “What is most important is that CRU continues its world leading research with as little interruption and diversion as possible.  After a good deal of consideration I have decided that the best way to achieve this is by stepping aside from the director’s role during the course of the independent review and am grateful to the university for agreeing to this. The review process will have my full support.”

Vice-Chancellor Professor Edward Acton said: “I have accepted Professor Jones’s offer to stand aside during this period. It is an important step to ensure that CRU can continue to operate normally and the independent review can conduct its work into the allegations. We will announce details of the independent review, including its terms of reference, timescale and the chair, within days. I am delighted that Professor Peter Liss, FRS, CBE, will become acting director.”

For those who are not aware a climate research institute in Europe was hacked and allegedly incriminating( depending on your bias when you read them) are all over the internet. Phil jones has, in one email alluded to "hiding the decline" Some argue that he's referring to hiding the decline of warming now or that he's performing a normal statistical operation to represent data.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Karmum
@Geno said:
" The earth is warming, but nowhere near the rate that environmentalists claim. Currently it's going up by about 1 degree Celsius every 160 years. 160 years from now science will have easily found a solution (in fact even currently there are a variety of methods that can stop global warming, they are just yet to be fully implemented by any government yet, mostly because of the economy).  "
This. I don't see us being in any imminent danger.
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The world's weather is fucking itself, nothing makes sense anymore

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Xeiphyer
@RJMacReady: Yeah I saw that, but the media is totally swinging it to say "Global Warming Doesn't Exist" again, which is lame, because global warming exists, it has always existed, along with global cooling, its cyclical in nature and is proven in ice cores that date back 400,000 years ago.

From what I have heard/read though, it seems more like they were oversimplifing the facts for the media and regular folk to understand easier. I think it would take more than some emails between scientists to try and mass coverup global warming, and it would never be done via email since its easy to track/hack, and scientists aren't that high up the food chain.

Anyways, I think its interesting but overall its just hurting the cause by giving people more ammunition to be lazy about lessening carbon emissions
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cstrang

I think the issue is more that the weather is becoming more extreme.

RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RJMacReady

Well another problem is the idea that we can even model this properly. We were not able to predict the 08 recession with mathematical modeling adn our meterological models fail to predict weather past a few days with any degree of accuracy. I'm skeptical abut the claim that humans have the ability to reconstruct accurate data from tree rings, or insect carcases. 

Complicating this is teh politicisation of the entire debate. People stand to profit tremendously depending on the outcome of these modeling techniques.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NathHaw
@RJMacReady said:
Complicating this is teh politicisation of the entire debate. People stand to profit tremendously depending on the outcome of these modeling techniques. "

I believe this part about climate change the most.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King

It's because the average global temperature is slowly increasing, screwing things up in ways you can't imagine. Soooooo warming.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By RetroIce4
@lilarchie232 said:

" Ohio's weather is so fucked over, I have no clue. "

Yessir. Cav's FTW! and Ohio is messed up. Remember like 2 summers ago it rained 4 times the entire summer and I only cut the grass twice that entire time. Most def. getting warmer.
CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By CSXLoser

apparently there are people telling me it will snow on friday for Texas.

so colder :\

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Whisperkill

So ummm, in some parts of the world, its cooling and in other parts it is warming. It all has to do with the rotation of the planet and how the sun only hits one side of the planet...
Helvennan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Helvennan

It depends on which area,North Carolinas weather is totally screwed,its pretty much warming and cooling pretty much fuckwad weather.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zeforgotten

I still think global humidity is the problem. 

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By rallier

Hot air flows are changing hence why in some places it has become colder while in others warmer.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Your kidding right? 

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Renahzor

They don't know what its doing.  They dont even know if its going to rain tomorrow but they can predict we'll all be under water in 10 years if we don't "JUST DO SOMETHING NAO!!!"  Its no longer the "Global Warming Debate", it's the "Global Climate Change" debate.  When its hotter, when its colder, when it rains, when it snows, when there's more hurricanes, when there's less, everythign the weather does is man caused and must be stopped yesterday or your children will drown in a sea of ice water.  

The only way to stop it, obviously, is for all western countries to send money to poor third world countries for their abuse and misuse of polluting industries.  Well, except the 2 biggest and fastest growning polluters (china and India), they dont want to so whatever, we still need to SEND THE MONIES NOW!  Also, if you pay someone to plant a tree you can do whatever the hell you want.  Heres a list of people who plant trees that i know pretty well.  And Al Gore says Cuba will be under water by 2005(which means about 30% of the continental US will be as well), so you better listen, he invented the internets.  Oh wait, he said that in like '91.  I guess we have till 2020 now, so yeah, dont forget to pay to plant some trees. 

Honestly I live at about 5800 ft, so maybe ill get some good beach front out of all this. 

/sarcasm

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Mikemcn said:
" I just wanted to clarify, is climate change an issue because its leading to global cooling, or because its making the world warmer?  I have no clue, and right now it seems colder than ever where I live. "
That's why it's being referred to as "Climate Change" now. It better represents whats happening because as you said, it's getting colder as well. Basically the two extremes are just expanding.
Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Renahzor
@JJWeatherman said:
" @Mikemcn said:
" I just wanted to clarify, is climate change an issue because its leading to global cooling, or because its making the world warmer?  I have no clue, and right now it seems colder than ever where I live. "
That's why it's being referred to as "Climate Change" now. It better represents whats happening because as you said, it's getting colder as well. Basically the two extremes are just expanding. "
And that doesn't seem just a little contrived to you?  "We must stop global warming!!!  Wait...  what do you mean its stopped?  ehhhh....  We must stop....  global climate change!  yeah!  Heres where you can send your money to feel better."

Even most churches look down on paying for absolution.  If it's really as bad as they say and we're all doomed, there's nothing you or I can do to stop it, sorry.
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Bones8677
@Renahzor: hehe
Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

it's getting hotter, real fuckin hot 

the only solution is to implement cap n trade, regulate the cars we can drive, governmental control our thermostats, and regulations on what kind of electronics we can buy. 

wfolse1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By wfolse1
@CSXLoser said:

" apparently there are people telling me it will snow on friday for Texas.  so colder :\ "

Sorry to pick on this guy, but weather is not climate.  We learn that in elementary school.  Just because it's going to snow in Texas doesn't mean that the global climate is not in a warming trend.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Diamond

See, this is why you need to be informed on climate change before you discuss it.  Lots of misinformation going around.

Global 'warming' isn't a relevant term.  The changes brought on by human interaction with the environment may not lead to warming, it may actually lead to devastating cooling.  The point is humans are changing the environment to its detriment, not that things will necessarily get warmer or cooler.  Sure the earth has cycles, but the effect of humanity can not be ignored.  With the coming solar cycle the earth should be cooling dramatically for over a decade, and if the Earth is warming otherwise, when that cycle ends the temperatures may increase dramatically.

I think short term the recent devastating effects of overfishing on the oceans should be of more concern to everyone.  There is catastrophic ecological changes coming if people don't take notice.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By iam3green

i think that it is getting all messed up. sometimes it can be warm while other times it can be called. like a couple of years ago it would be snowing now and it is in the 50's.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Renahzor
@Diamond said:
" See, this is why you need to be informed on climate change before you discuss it.  Lots of misinformation going around.  Global 'warming' isn't a relevant term.  The changes brought on by human interaction with the environment may not lead to warming, it may actually lead to devastating cooling.  The point is humans are changing the environment to its detriment, not that things will necessarily get warmer or cooler.  Sure the earth has cycles, but the effect of humanity can not be ignored.  With the coming solar cycle the earth should be cooling dramatically for over a decade, and if the Earth is warming otherwise, when that cycle ends the temperatures may increase dramatically.  I think short term the recent devastating effects of overfishing on the oceans should be of more concern to everyone.  There is catastrophic ecological changes coming if people don't take notice. "
We can fix that by just showing the japanese the real picture of the Enola Gay, then they wont stab the dolphins and whales anymore.  

I always love these arguments, because I can be a cynical ass and not feel bad about it.  25 years ago we were all going to melt because hair spray was opening a hole in the ozone layer (which they couldn't measure) and damnit we have to stop it NOW!  20 years ago we were all going to be dead by 2005 because of global warming and we have to stop it NOW!!  Now, in 20 years we'll all be dead from...  well, they dont really know what else to predict, so we'll just say the weather will kill us, and we have to do something NOW!!  What are those something's we need to do?  Higher taxes, more government control of regular citizens lives, and more distribution of wealth, duh!  THAT'S how we fix it!  

So tell me, where do I send my money to feel better about 'overfishing the oceans'?  I already 'adopted' an acre of rain forrest, so I got my ass covered on the global warming, endangered species, deforestation, and general human abuse of the environment fronts.  

The only misinformation going around is the fact that no one really mentions how many billions upon billions of dollars world governments are sinking into global climate research.  If you don't agree with them and have soem different information, you don't get the money. Funny how when you put monetary incentives out there you can get science to say whatever best fits your agenda at the time, no? 
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Diamond
@Renahzor said:
I always love these arguments, because I can be a cynical ass and not feel bad about it.  25 years ago we were all going to melt because hair spray was opening a hole in the ozone layer (which they couldn't measure) and damnit we have to stop it NOW!
And that was stopped because people did something about it.  They made certain materials illegal, and we stopped the problem before it became worse, and the ozone situation improved.

@Renahzor said:
20 years ago we were all going to be dead by 2005 because of global warming and we have to stop it NOW!!
Um, no.  No one rational ever made such a claim.

@Renahzor said:
What are those something's we need to do?  Higher taxes, more government control of regular citizens lives, and more distribution of wealth, duh!
Nothing of the sort.  Don't confuse the issue.

@Renahzor said:
So tell me, where do I send my money to feel better about 'overfishing the oceans'?
Don't buy as many fish products, there are certain fish that are safer to consume than others.  You can look it up, but I feel my breath will be wasted on you.  It's a serious problem.  Just because you're too immature to accept the problem, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

@Renahzor said:
The only misinformation going around is the fact that no one really mentions how many billions upon billions of dollars world governments are sinking into global climate research.  If you don't agree with them and have soem different information, you don't get the money. Funny how when you put monetary incentives out there you can get science to say whatever best fits your agenda at the time, no?
The only misinformation going around is sponsored by billion dollar corporations who have bought out the entire Republican party to use as a voice box in spreading their propaganda.  Science is far from the money raking organization that petroleum brings.
Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Renahzor
@Diamond said:
" And that was stopped because people did something about it.  They made certain materials illegal, and we stopped the problem before it became worse, and the ozone situation improved.

Um, no.  No one rational ever made such a claim.

Nothing of the sort.  Don't confuse the issue.

Don't buy as many fish products, there are certain fish that are safer to consume than others.  You can look it up, but I feel my breath will be wasted on you.  It's a serious problem.  Just because you're too immature to accept the problem, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

The only misinformation going around is sponsored by billion dollar corporations who have bought out the entire Republican party to use as a voice box in spreading their propaganda.  Science is far from the money raking organization that petroleum brings.
"
1) Correlation does not imply Causation, its a simple and widely accepted scientific concept.  In fact its been shown the hole in the ozone naturally expands and contracts, and that's why you hear nothing of it.  There is no proof that any human interaction had any effect, negative or positive. If there were, that is all you would hear about fucking 24/7, how they predicted and solved the ozone problem. 

2) Al Gore, the environmental movement, and a lage number of 'scientific studies' said exactly that.

3) That's exactly what the vast majority of accords, pollution treaties, etc specify.  Governments pay more to be able to pollute more(or because they cant stop).  They dont just make that money up, it comes from taxing the citizens.  The more they can control them, the more they need the government, and the easier it is to keep power.  If you have any thought that this entire debate is anything other than a control mechanism I simply have to disagree.

4) I don't eat fish regularly.  Regardless there is absolutely NOTHING you can do on an individual level that would impact that industry.  Sorry, but I'm not so narcissistic to believe by eating less fishsticks I'll save the planet.   Ad homenim attacks aside, I'm mature enough to realize that's a fight that environmentalists will likely never win.  Changing the eating habits of the entire world to pretend you're making a difference is a noble goal though. 

5) Cute, considering I'm not a Republican.  Both sides of the argument certainly have their supporters.  Im simply pointing out that the world governments have a vested interest in making sure everyone believes in global climate change.  They invest billions of dollars a year into making sure exactly that happens.  2 years ago we were told, Global warming is happening, done deal, anyone who disagrees is ignorant.  Thats the official US government stance, anyone who wants to research otherwise is privately funded, working against whoever the people in power prop up as their end all scientific source.  I dont mean to get all conspiracy, but when a government entity steps in and says "No, this is the way it is, no more debate on this theory, its now scientific fact no matter what" I get a little skeptical.  Russel's teapot taken to the next level, as it were. 
Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Adamantium

My anthropology professor used to insist that global warming and cooling was a natural cycle that occurs continuously over hundreds of thousands of years, and we've just been caught in a a warming cycle.

....But you know how anthropology professors are. As for me? I'm more worried about nuclear proliferation and the continued assault on privacy and individuality.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Renahzor
@Adamantium said:
" My anthropology professor used to insist that global warming and cooling was a natural cycle that occurs continuously over hundreds of thousands of years, and we've just been caught in a a warming cycle.   ....But you know how anthropology professors are. As for me? I'm more worried about nuclear proliferation and the continued assault on privacy and individuality. "
This * a million.
Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Arjuna

Ontario, Canada's average temperatures for November were the highest on record.  Especially in Northern Ontario, where I live.  It's starting to look like global warming has passed the point of being able to stop it, and we will have effectively destroyed all life on Earth....  But at least I don't have to put on snow boots until November!

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By super_machine

There is observable data that shows the polar ice caps are melting, there is your answer.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Diamond
@Renahzor said:

1) Correlation does not imply Causation, its a simple and widely accepted scientific concept.  In fact its been shown the hole in the ozone naturally expands and contracts, and that's why you hear nothing of it.  There is no proof that any human interaction had any effect, negative or positive. If there were, that is all you would hear about fucking 24/7, how they predicted and solved the ozone problem.   2) Al Gore, the environmental movement, and a lage number of 'scientific studies' said exactly that.  3) That's exactly what the vast majority of accords, pollution treaties, etc specify.  Governments pay more to be able to pollute more(or because they cant stop).  They dont just make that money up, it comes from taxing the citizens.  The more they can control them, the more they need the government, and the easier it is to keep power.  If you have any thought that this entire debate is anything other than a control mechanism I simply have to disagree. 4) I don't eat fish regularly.  Regardless there is absolutely NOTHING you can do on an individual level that would impact that industry.  Sorry, but I'm not so narcissistic to believe by eating less fishsticks I'll save the planet.   Ad homenim attacks aside, I'm mature enough to realize that's a fight that environmentalists will likely never win.  Changing the eating habits of the entire world to pretend you're making a difference is a noble goal though.   5) Cute, considering I'm not a Republican.  Both sides of the argument certainly have their supporters.  Im simply pointing out that the world governments have a vested interest in making sure everyone believes in global climate change.  They invest billions of dollars a year into making sure exactly that happens.  2 years ago we were told, Global warming is happening, done deal, anyone who disagrees is ignorant.  Thats the official US government stance, anyone who wants to research otherwise is privately funded, working against whoever the people in power prop up as their end all scientific source.  I dont mean to get all conspiracy, but when a government entity steps in and says "No, this is the way it is, no more debate on this theory, its now scientific fact no matter what" I get a little skeptical.  Russel's teapot taken to the next level, as it were.

1) Except causation was proven both ways.  The ozone naturally fluctuates, but the effect of CFCs on the ozone was scientifically proven.  What more do you want?
2) I won't ask you for evidence, as that is clearly something beyond your particular vision of discussion and rationality.  I will simply state that a few comments shouldn't spoil the facts for you.
3) If that's what you want to believe, but it's not true.
4) Every person counts, don't be foolish.  Obviously one person can't fix the situation themselves.  What we don't need is people who deny the facts and try to spread misinformation to set back a cause that will only help every person on Earth.
5) Doesn't matter what your political affiliation is, what matters if you're eating the same tripe.  I'm simply pointing out you're ignoring the scientific facts and parroting the same corporate lines I've heard for years.  You shouldn't take a kneejerk reaction to whomever tells you something.  If you don't believe it do the research yourself.  For me, seeing all the facts laid out before me, and understanding what I do understand of science was enough.
Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Renahzor
@super_machine said:

" There is observable data that shows the polar ice caps are melting, there is your answer. "

There is observable data that shows the polar ice caps are expanding, there is your answer.

It depends who you ask, and what their agenda is. 
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Diamond
@Renahzor said:
" @super_machine said:

" There is observable data that shows the polar ice caps are melting, there is your answer.

There is observable data that shows the polar ice caps are expanding, there is your answer.
No there isn't...
Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Renahzor
@Diamond: 

The Kyoto accord (which we are thankfully not party to atm) has all parties of Annex I countries setup Carbon Funds to purchase Carbon credits from non- Annex I countries.  This is basically the entire purpose of the Accord.  It manes that developed countries buy and pay for their own pollution, but sending money to underdeveloped countries.  This is the very definition of redistribution of wealth.  It specifically limits industrial growth by limiting pollution growth, allowing(requiring) implementation of taxes that punish those industries to pay for the carbon credits.  This isnt something im making up, its the ENTIRE purpose of almost every pollution treaty.   You can do some research specifically on Kyoto, and the new Copenhagen Summit which aims to do the exact same thing.  

As for the ice caps:
 http://www.heartland.org/policybot/results/851/Polar_ice_cap_studies_refute_global_warming.html

http://icecap.us/index.php/go/joes-blog/a_new_record_for_antartic_total_ice_extent

but, really, Im sure you'll say these are flawed studies because they dont believe, if you dont, you're automatically ignorant.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Diamond
@Renahzor said:
" @Diamond: 

The Kyoto accord (which we are thankfully not party to atm) has all parties of Annex I countries setup Carbon Funds to purchase Carbon credits from non- Annex I countries.  This is basically the entire purpose of the Accord.  It manes that developed countries buy and pay for their own pollution, but sending money to underdeveloped countries.  This is the very definition of redistribution of wealth.  It specifically limits industrial growth by limiting pollution growth, allowing(requiring) implementation of taxes that punish those industries to pay for the carbon credits.  This isnt something im making up, its the ENTIRE purpose of almost every pollution treaty.   You can do some research specifically on Kyoto, and the new Copenhagen Summit which aims to do the exact same thing.  

As for the ice caps:
 http://www.heartland.org/policybot/results/851/Polar_ice_cap_studies_refute_global_warming.html

http://icecap.us/index.php/go/joes-blog/a_new_record_for_antartic_total_ice_extent
  but, really, Im sure you'll say these are flawed studies because they dont believe, if you dont, you're automatically ignorant. "
Heartland institute is an oil company think tank...  There is no truth to what they claim.

Icecap is as well, although that is funded through 3rd party private citizens who are part of the oil industry.

Basically you have been brainwashed, dude.  Don't believe what I'm saying still?  You're just a willing pawn of big oil.  :(
Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Renahzor

Again, as i said, you'll dismiss ANY evidence that doesn't fit your agenda, and think that I'm supposed to just accept whatever your side says as dogma.   Im under the impression that you're brainwashed by the Socialist ideologues who can pretty much tell you whatever they want, and you'll submit.

So, we're at an impass, It wouldnt matter who said its not happening, from climatologists to professors to nasa scientists, you'll think they're bought out, and the same for me.  

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
@Renahzor said:

" @Diamond: 

As for the ice caps:

but, really, Im sure you'll say these are flawed studies because they dont believe, if you dont, you're automatically ignorant. "

If you were to use these sources in a college level course (probably high school even) you would fail it.  You need peer reviewed articles, not a couple of paragraphs from "institutes" that are laughably less than a page long.  The second one didn't even have an author cited for crying out loud. 
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The polar bears are floating away D =

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By super_machine
@Renahzor said:
" @Diamond said:
" See, this is why you need to be informed on climate change before you discuss it.  Lots of misinformation going around.  Global 'warming' isn't a relevant term.  The changes brought on by human interaction with the environment may not lead to warming, it may actually lead to devastating cooling.  The point is humans are changing the environment to its detriment, not that things will necessarily get warmer or cooler.  Sure the earth has cycles, but the effect of humanity can not be ignored.  With the coming solar cycle the earth should be cooling dramatically for over a decade, and if the Earth is warming otherwise, when that cycle ends the temperatures may increase dramatically.  I think short term the recent devastating effects of overfishing on the oceans should be of more concern to everyone.  There is catastrophic ecological changes coming if people don't take notice. "
We can fix that by just showing the japanese the real picture of the Enola Gay, then they wont stab the dolphins and whales anymore.    I always love these arguments, because I can be a cynical ass and not feel bad about it.  25 years ago we were all going to melt because hair spray was opening a hole in the ozone layer (which they couldn't measure) and damnit we have to stop it NOW!  20 years ago we were all going to be dead by 2005 because of global warming and we have to stop it NOW!!  Now, in 20 years we'll all be dead from...  well, they dont really know what else to predict, so we'll just say the weather will kill us, and we have to do something NOW!!  What are those something's we need to do?  Higher taxes, more government control of regular citizens lives, and more distribution of wealth, duh!  THAT'S how we fix it!    So tell me, where do I send my money to feel better about 'overfishing the oceans'?  I already 'adopted' an acre of rain forrest, so I got my ass covered on the global warming, endangered species, deforestation, and general human abuse of the environment fronts.    The only misinformation going around is the fact that no one really mentions how many billions upon billions of dollars world governments are sinking into global climate research.  If you don't agree with them and have soem different information, you don't get the money. Funny how when you put monetary incentives out there you can get science to say whatever best fits your agenda at the time, no?  "
Actually they did prove that CFC reduce the amount of ozone in the atmosphere and have documented the hole over Antarctica using satellite data. This allows more UVB radiation to permeate through the atmosphere and affect ground conditions for humans. This is not willy wonka dogma science, its been proven.
Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Renahzor
@MAN_FLANNEL said:

"If you were to use these sources in a college level course (probably high school even) you would fail it.  You need peer reviewed articles, not a couple of paragraphs from "institutes" that are laughably less than a page long.  The second one didn't even have an author cited for crying out loud.  "
Ah, yes, I forgot I was writing a paper for my sociology class.  Ill head off to the library to get you some appropriate articles as citations.  

In the mean time, rest assured your argument has swayed me, and from now on I'll be a good little non-polluter, and pay for carbon credits when I sin so I can reach the state of absolution of you fine fellows.  Hell, I may even put the catalytic convertors back on my car and stop using leaded race gas at the track.  Then again, probably not. 
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48  Edited By Willy105

It's getting hotter, but it's part of the cycle. The world was getting cooler in the 70's and then started to get hotter now. It will get cooler later on again.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Diamond
@Renahzor: Tell me, does your daddy work for Exxon?  Because that would explain a lot.
Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Renahzor

No, oddly enough Myself and my dad own a company that benefits daily from the "go green" initiative.  People get money for buying energy efficient remodelng services from us via tax subsidies/credits.  In essence, you pay for me to work, because the government feels its necessary for everyone to save energy.  So much so, that it redistributes money from people who dont buy efficient stuff to those that do.