Is there a game that teaches Piano?

how92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By how92

So I don't post very often but are there any good video games that could help teach and practice piano? The wiki only has a couple older games for obsolete systems. I'm fairly new to the instrument and was hoping for a Mario teaches typing meets Rocksmith kind of game or program.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By bicycleham

Coming from a pianist of over 10 years, there really isn't a game that teaches piano as well as just buying a cheap keyboard and learning technical skills that way. Just keep practicing on a piano and you'll get there.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Rock Band 3 does a decent job of teaching some basics for the right hand but doesn't really get deep into technique or music theory or anything like that. Still if you just want to get your hand moving across a keyboard in a realistic way (especially on pro mode) it's a good start.

how92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xolare: what I was mostly thinking about was learning to read the notes faster

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@how92: Depending on your skill level you'd want to get used to reading sheet music and not the note graphs in Rock Band 3. I'd suggest buying the Alfred's series of books since there's a bunch of them at varying skill levels ranging from elementary to proficient piano players. You're never going to be able to quickly identify and play notes if you don't get it into your head which notes are where.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I don't really know if it's good for learning piano, but this reminds me of that guy who sort of had to learn piano to beat Miracle Piano Teaching System on the NES on his way to beat every NES game.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

@xolare: There's a lot of Alfred's piano books. Where would you recommend to start if you have none to very little experience with reading sheet music?

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bicycleham

@castiel said:

@xolare: There's a lot of Alfred's piano books. Where would you recommend to start if you have none to very little experience with reading sheet music?

When I started playing I learned form Alfred's Basic Piano Library, mainly from their lesson books. They're mainly meant for children, but for people simply wanting to learn sheet music and not wanting to go into deep theory, they're actually pretty good to jump into. The level 1A stuff seems a little elementary from what I'm looking at here, but for someone trying to jump in it seems pretty good. I'd also suggest supplementing this by playing actual songs from sheet music such as short classical pieces like Chopin's waltzes and playing along with a recording to fully understand whether or not you're playing correctly.

Here are some links to the Alfred's books I'm talking about

fenster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By fenster

I started playing piano about a year and a half ago (I'm 28) and like you, I was hunting for some good video game which would go along with playing piano. You can always make a game out of Synthesia with a digital piano, but I pretty quickly learned the best way to learn is the old fashioned way. Helps learn sheet reading, music theory (with a good teacher), and more.

Best of luck on your endeavor, it's very rewarding. :)

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Xeiphyer

@how92: Check out http://www.synthesiagame.com/ It's basically Rock Band for piano.

You can download pretty much any song and play through it on a keyboard piano connected to your computer, and its got all the features you'd want for practicing while also gamifying the whole thing. I've been thinking about learning piano myself and this has been the most appealing option I've come across.

Loading Video...

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was that piano bird puzzle in Silent Hill.