#1 Posted by Wacomole (811 posts) -

I keep having this happen to me...

I will be listening to the audio of something (say a podcast or a show on TV) while reading something else (a totally un-related article on the internet or something), when suddenly someone on the audio will say a totally random word (let's say "Parchment") at the exact moment that I'm reading that word on the screen.

I would understand if it were really common words that were syncing up like that, but it's often more obscure, not-so-everyday words that it happens with that freak me out when it occurs.

I'm beginning to think that aliens are beaming something into my brain and if I were to write down the word each time, the secrets of the Universe would be revealed. Either that or I'm just crazy.

#2 Posted by Ramone (2932 posts) -

You're just crazy.

But seriously it's just coincidence.

#3 Posted by PsychedelicET (103 posts) -

Synchronicity is the word you're looking for, I believe. Be chill about it, but you would do well to keep noticing things such as this. Just my opinion, of course.

#4 Posted by Village_Guy (2410 posts) -

That is, indeed, what you call a coincidence.

But if you're not satisfied with that answer, I can always recommend to fake your own death when it happens next.

#5 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -

I don't know much about that. But I remember someone once telling me they'd look at the clock every day spot on 11:11. Coincidence? I think not!

Uhm, found this forum thread though on a spiritual site thing. Sound like what you're talking about? http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16112

#6 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

@MoleyUK said:

I would understand if it were really common words that were syncing up like that, but it's often more obscure, not-so-everyday words that it happens with that freak me out when it occurs.

It does happen with more common words but as they are so common, you won't notice it.

It's coincidence.

#7 Posted by Marcsman (2887 posts) -

It's a glitch in the Matrix

#8 Posted by believer258 (11057 posts) -

It's probably something sub conscience.

Also, reading and listening to music with words? I can never do that! Now, music without words, fine, but with words?

#9 Posted by MEATBALL (2795 posts) -

Freemasons.

#10 Posted by BaneFireLord (2880 posts) -

What I hate is when you hear an obscure word or see something for the first time and then suddenly you hear the word/see the thing everywhere.

#11 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (999 posts) -

Coincidence. 

#12 Posted by TooWalrus (12985 posts) -

You're in a coma, reality is all in your head.

#13 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@TooWalrus

If I can see his post does that mean I'm also just a figment of this guys imagination?
#14 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -
#15 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I doubt that aliens built spacecraft just to come to this planet and troll you.

#16 Edited by Wacomole (811 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

I doubt that aliens built spacecraft just to come to this planet and troll you.

But what if they didn't have to build spacecraft, just a really precise transmitter?

@TooWalrus said:

Man, I'm really bad at creating realities! I could have been married to a supermodel all this time.

#17 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@Erzs said:

I don't know much about that. But I remember someone once telling me they'd look at the clock every day spot on 11:11. Coincidence? I think not!

Uhm, found this forum thread though on a spiritual site thing. Sound like what you're talking about? http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16112

I see 13:37 almost every day, no kidding. It's because I am so ...ahum...leet...

Anyway, everyone has really improbable coincidences sometimes, way worse than your example. It makes you wonder if there is some all-seeing power that is fucking with us, if fate really exists. But it's probably just raw statistics.

#18 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

Déjà Vu, man! It could also be caused by JWs for frequenting you door so often...

#19 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -

@jozzy: Haha =P I think we're being played like the Sims. Let's just hope no one walls up the swimming pool!

#20 Posted by CaLe (3678 posts) -

It's happened to me numerous times. The one which stands out most, the one with the least probability to ever happen, was when I was watching a tennis match. The players were getting read to play, the ball hadn't even been served yet and I just randomly say out loud 'a swing and a miss' then the ball is served, a rally between the players eventually ends with one guy missing the ball, and the commentator on TV said: "a swing and a miss" ....... I freaked my shit man. FREAKED MY SHIT. That's not even a common thing for a commentator to say in tennis! Even if someone does miss. Haven't heard it since then or before then, and I watch a lot of tennis. What are the odds? I dunno, pretty huge I bet.

#21 Posted by Jimbo (9711 posts) -

Deja vu is a different thing. It's synchronicity like your man up there said.

#22 Posted by Intro (1191 posts) -

OP this shit happens all the time to me, it's something I thought about my whole life lol. I'll hear a word I never hear or understand, and then later that day I'll hear it again understand it.

#23 Posted by Inkerman (1448 posts) -

The reason you notice it and remember these situations is because your brain is designed to find patterns. You don't notice all the other times when things don't sync up because there is no pattern, but if you compared those times with the ones that did sync up, then they would not be statistically significant. Having said that; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precognition some studies have shown statistically significant results in extremely short precognition (as in, right after).

#24 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

@PsychedelicET said:

Synchronicity is the word you're looking for, I believe. Be chill about it, but you would do well to keep noticing things such as this. Just my opinion, of course.

#25 Posted by EquitasInvictus (1869 posts) -

This actually happened to me just yesterday. I was bored and ended up watching a Deadly Premonition endurance run video (since I never really watched all of the BR playthrough since I committed to VJ as they were coming out) and then as I was watching it windowed with another window where I was in a lobby for Phantasy Star Online 2, someone randomly typed on chat something among the lines of (it'll be in quotes but not quite verbatim) "We're still missing a vital piece of information to solve the puzzle, Zack ([sic], the one detail I did remember was how they typed Zach incorrectly!)" and I had my mind blown for second.

I do agree that synchronicity is the word.

#26 Posted by Getz (2955 posts) -

It's called Synchronicity dawg, your brain is conflating two unrelated things as related because you're hardwired to create relationships between things. It facilitates all sorts of every-day actions like remembering peoples names by how they looked but it can also cause you to mis-remember things as occuring simultaneously when they really didn't. Memory is shite, especially the more we dwell on one particular thing. Odds are, the word is not being said EXACTLY as you read it, but in close proximity and you just rounded out the difference.

#27 Posted by Scrawnto (2413 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

What I hate is when you hear an obscure word or see something for the first time and then suddenly you hear the word/see the thing everywhere.

That's been happening to me a lot recently. Like, I heard of Thomas Tallis for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and then later that day I was reading a novel, and he was referenced there too. This is a composer who lived hundreds of years ago. I went 23 years without hearing of him, and then I heard of him twice on the same day. That sort of thing does tend to stick out at you.

#28 Posted by Musou (375 posts) -

Stuff like that happens to me all the time, I've always noticed how alarmingly high is the rate of weird coincidences are. I don't really think this is all just in my head because, as we can see on this topic, lots of other people seem to notice it too, it's quite interesting. The most recent, but very simple, example:

Some friends of mine decided to go somewhere for dinner today and invited me, we're all going to a place called Papajaya. There is a restaurant in NY called Gray's Papaya which was the main inspiration for this place we're going. Last night, as I was watching HIMYM they mentioned the NY restaurant. The weirdest thing is, we live in Rio de Janeiro, just the fact that there's such restaurant here is a coincidence, but having them mention it on the show the same day we decided to go there is kinda crazy.

#29 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4658 posts) -

@MEATBALL said:

Freemasons.

I just wanted a excuse to post this video.

#30 Posted by Butler (378 posts) -

Your mind creates the conscious world around you.

Meditate, think positively, and understand how you can mold this world.

We are all gods.

#31 Posted by Binaryfart (24 posts) -

The occurence is coincidence, but the perception that they are linked is caused by the brain's tendenacy to try and draw correlations between observations in order to "learn". It's called Baader Meinhoff Syndrome. Every body gets it. It's the same reason so many people look up and see 11:11 on the clock and think it's somehow significant.

http://www.damninteresting.com/the-baader-meinhof-phenomenon/

#32 Posted by mandude (2667 posts) -

I believe the word you are indeed looking for is aliens.

#33 Posted by scalpel (314 posts) -

Confirmation bias.

#34 Edited by Binaryfart (24 posts) -

Yup, more specifically, Frequency or Recency Bias. I personally get it when I see 13:37 displayed on a clock (just like someone else here mentioned). The number was significant for me, and therefore my brain started to file occurrences when I saw it as "interesting", but ignoring all the times I look at a clock but see a regular, boring time displayed. Over time my brain began to conclude that I was seeing 13:37 more than other numbers, but it is a false correlation.

It's a fascinating phenomenon (or at least I think so) and particularly relevant if you're in a IT support role or a doctor. Once you are aware of the phenomenon, you can see it's effect on your clients all the time.

#35 Posted by Clonedzero (3742 posts) -

dude, you're bi-locating, you should probably give yourself a hug to keep yourself together.

#36 Edited by NTM (7035 posts) -

That kind of thing can happen to a lot of people. It's kind of like when you'd think of something from your past that you never, ever hear or see anymore, but then the next day it's there. Like, let's say a TV show, the day before you think "Yeah, I remember that episode from that... what was that show again?" and then what do you know, that exact thing is on right when you turn the TV on. There's just odd stuff that can happen. When stuff like that, though not only that happen, you kind of think "Fuck, am I the only real person, and am I the one controlling this universe!? AHHH!" Ha ha ha.

#37 Posted by Dagbiker (6898 posts) -

@MoleyUK: Its the way your brain works, you probably know this, but when you read/hear/think of something it gets loaded in your short term memory, and so every time, even though you probably are hearing/reading/seeing the same words every day, your brain retreves what was stored from your short term memory. Before digging deeper, into a more specific occurrence in your long term memory.

#38 Posted by HatKing (5571 posts) -

@Binaryfart said:

The occurence is coincidence, but the perception that they are linked is caused by the brain's tendenacy to try and draw correlations between observations in order to "learn". It's called Baader Meinhoff Syndrome. Every body gets it. It's the same reason so many people look up and see 11:11 on the clock and think it's somehow significant.

http://www.damninteresting.com/the-baader-meinhof-phenomenon/

I'm glad somebody else knew of this. Kudos

#39 Posted by Levio (1781 posts) -

It means you're gay. You should get tested

#40 Posted by heavymetalwaffle (104 posts) -

@Erzs: It's 11:34 for me. At least once a day, not on purpose.

Turn that number upside down, and, well, I think it's an omen.

(You really need to have the other styled 4 to make it look right.)

#41 Posted by LD50 (416 posts) -

@PsychedelicET said:

Totally in agreement with PsychedelicET (nice screen name too).

My spiritual side says this is a personal experience demonstrating the connectedness of the universe.

My scientific side says that your brain is good enough to see the whole page of text you're reading and all the words on it. If you've listened to the audio before, it's aware of that landscape too.

I believe your brain could distract you long enough for the word in the audio to appear as you read the text. Reasons? It's a cool trick? Your brain thinks of it as art? Who knows.

My Giant Bomb side says..DID YOU WRITE THE FUCKING WORDS DOWN?!?

It's obviously an A.R.G. run by aliens, and that is likely a code to get off the planet when the catastrophe comes.

Bug Out Bag? Check. Next up, Ham operators license (thanks Vinny).