Is there any place to post a video here?

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MakoTitan

Hey guys, real quick question. I want to share a playthrough of a game I am doing on my YouTube channel, but I don't want to misplace it here and get "spammed out" for lack of better terms. It's not really me trying to advertise my channel, but more just posting a video I'm proud of that I think people on this site would enjoy. However, I do not know if it is 1. Allowed, or 2. Where I would post it at all.

So long story short, I'm asking first so that I don't upset anyone. I try and be courteous with these sorts of things.

Later Duders.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perhaps on the game's forum? I have a feeling it probably isn't allowed though. Not sure how strict they get here.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

Perhaps if you wrote a (respectably sized) blog post about the game and used the video as a supplement for it?

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thatpinguino  Staff

@vegetashonor: What @believer258 said is your best bet if you want the video to live on the forums. If you don't care about linking to the forums, then you can post the video to your personal blog and let it live there.

Perhaps if you wrote a (respectably sized) blog post about the game and used the video as a supplement for it?

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MakoTitan

Maybe. I mean, what it's about is I was SUPER inspired by Dan's Mike Tyson Punch Out goals recently on the site, and I too have had the same problems against Iron Mike. I decided to document it on my let's play channel. I even included a training montage. Haha. I'm not at Tyson yet, but it'll happen soon. Not sure how it will go when I get there, haha.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By MezZa

I'd write a blog like @believer258 said and update it regularly. Write about the overall experience from video to video and that should give you plenty of content. Maybe talk about the inspiration for the video series a bit. Then just slap the video in it as support for your writing. There are other blogs floating around that are kind of similar except usually without a video. Check some of the Souls game's forums if you want examples. That's where I tend to see people doing a "document your experience" thing the most.

I can't speak for the moderators, they can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as you aren't just trying to get us to go to your youtube channel you should be okay. Make it both a feature with some meat for people to enjoy on this site and a feature for your channel and it will seem less like sleazy advertisement.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yeah I'm just gonna echo what everyone else is saying. Make the video part of a bigger post, preferably a blog. If you want exposure you can't be lazy about it. ~

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

If you want to share gameplay videos on the forums, there needs to be some reason for the post to exist on the forums other than "Hey, check out my YouTube channel." If it's specifically related to some game and you have something to say about it that's one thing, but there needs to be at least some kind of discussion value there. Just, "Hey check out this gameplay of this game, I think it's pretty cool" is not considered sufficient enough to warrant starting a forum thread.

We have a lot of users, and many of them record gameplay and do Let's Plays, Reviews, and all kinds of other stuff. We have to take a somewhat strict stance on how this stuff is shared on the forums, otherwise that's all the forums would be. If you want to run your post and video by the mods first, you can always send us a PM and we can give you some direction.

Alternatively, you can share all of the videos you want on your blog, as long as those blogs aren't also attached to the forums.

amirite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm this is a cool idea. Community content that's video based could be a good idea. It would give more context for the videos being here - as in Giant Bomb might BE your main channel as opposed to it being viewed as plugging your YT channel - and of course open up a floodgate of new content. Yes yes it would be a bit of a can of worms, but the team is always talking about more direct ways of integrating the community into the main site, etc etc... so far it doesn't seem like they've stumbled onto an answer they like. Maybe this could be one? I'm sure they've thought of it but it's an interesting idea.

Especially given the model that Giant Bomb has for its videos, it's so flexible, I'd love to see the kind of body of content that could be produced if people tried to stay within the GB "style" but add their own twists.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@amirite said:

Hmm this is a cool idea. Community content that's video based could be a good idea. It would give more context for the videos being here - as in Giant Bomb might BE your main channel as opposed to it being viewed as plugging your YT channel - and of course open up a floodgate of new content. Yes yes it would be a bit of a can of worms, but the team is always talking about more direct ways of integrating the community into the main site, etc etc... so far it doesn't seem like they've stumbled onto an answer they like. Maybe this could be one? I'm sure they've thought of it but it's an interesting idea.

Especially given the model that Giant Bomb has for its videos, it's so flexible, I'd love to see the kind of body of content that could be produced if people tried to stay within the GB "style" but add their own twists.

Mondays Mondays Mondays Mondays Mondays Mondays Mondays Mondays

amirite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By amirite

@drebin_893: Yes..... but not that. Always smelled too much like old call-in show or Nickelodeon game show sidebar to me.

If people could post their own content it could be pulled up to the front page easily as a piece of community content in the same way everything else is (I assume) through the API if the team feels it's worth recognizing. There can be literally no rhyme or reason or scheduling to it.

There's totally already context to this within the entire design of the site. Pieces of content are "attached" to games in a way that at this point - it actually looks kind of silly when the only non-official videos attached to a game wiki page are giant-bomb produced things. There's a hole there waiting to be filled.

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SubliminalKitteh

What is the consensus on videos in terms of wiki/video game preservation content? We have quick looks showing us how a game works when in motion, but the bomb crew can't possibly be expected to ql every game ever made, would it be benificial for the community to help out in that regard?