• 93 results
#1 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

#2 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

I've noticed something. Any pun I laugh at is immediately followed with a groan for disbelieving that I could laugh at it. Puns can be clever, of course, but that doesn't mean they're GOOD. I use puns quite often because my dad has a terrible sense of humor and it's easy to make him laugh, so I was wondering if I was just overanalyzing it or are puns just so dumb that none of them are any good.

These are the questions I ask myself

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (34615 posts) -

Yea, probably. I can't think of any, right now, but I imagine there are some out there.

#4 Posted by falserelic (4949 posts) -

I guess so..

#5 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Yes. They're so bad they're good. I would even say they're puntastic!

#6 Posted by ShockD (2381 posts) -

Like everything, puns are also relative. So yes, I believe there are some that are actually fun for everyone. I do believe however that the majority of the puns that I hear everyday are not intended to make a compliment to somebody...

#7 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

@NTM said:

So, you can't laugh at something dumb?

see, this is what I was wondering. Are dumb jokes good? what makes a joke good, that it's funny? if I groan afterward doesn't that make it not funny? is everything I know about humor a lie!?

#8 Posted by NTM (7034 posts) -
#9 Edited by NTM (7034 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@NTM said:

see, this is what I was wondering. Are dumb jokes good? what makes a joke good, that it's funny? if I groan afterward doesn't that make it not funny? is everything I know about humor a lie!?

It doesn't matter, laugh at what you think is funny. If you do as you are, you're just trying to conform with what you believe others think is right and wrong, even when no one is there to notice it. Everyone's different, just laugh if it's funny to you.

#10 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@NTM said:

This is one of the things I hate about humanity trying to reach new levels of "sophistication": We have to over analyze comedy and make sure that the things that make us laugh are good and clever instead of being happy about the fact that we laughed, and we ruin video games by asking for too much story and turning them into movies instead of admitting that games are to be fucking played interactively, not watched.

IMO, and this is a general statement not one pointed at you personally, the moment you question a pun just to make sure you're mature and sophisticated is the moment you should realize you're still childish for worrying that you might be childish.

Just enjoy the laughs Animasta!

#11 Posted by mandude (2667 posts) -

Misleading question. A pun could only be good, through being bad. That's their whole appeal!

#12 Posted by Spoonman671 (4374 posts) -

Is there such a thing as a bad pun?  I certainly haven't encountered one.

#13 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Puns are a bit like sarcasm: people tend to look down on them as a form of humour, but an appropriately applied pun of sarcastic comment (or a sarcastic pun!) can be totally fuckig hilarious.

I love a bad pun and admit it freely. Indeed, I make it my mission at work to ensure everyone throws bad puns around constantly (such as constant comments like "need a hand", "there's trouble afoot", "at least you've been forearmed for that meeting", etc for a colleague's contract he is running on artificial limbs)

Did you make this thread due to GaymerCon?

#14 Posted by NTM (7034 posts) -

@mandude said:

Misleading question. A pun could only be good, through being bad. That's their whole appeal!

#15 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair: I did! god it's SOOOOOOOO bad.

#16 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@Animasta

@Tim_the_Corsair: I did! god it's SOOOOOOOO bad.

Yeah it crosses the line of so-bad-its-good and circles right back around to just being terrible
#17 Posted by Blackout62 (1303 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Animasta said:

@NTM said:

This is one of the things I hate about humanity trying to reach new levels of "sophistication": We have to over analyze comedy and make sure that the things that make us laugh are good and clever instead of being happy about the fact that we laughed, and we ruin video games by asking for too much story and turning them into movies instead of admitting that games are to be fucking played interactively, not watched.

IMO, and this is a general statement not one pointed at you personally, the moment you question a pun just to make sure you're mature and sophisticated is the moment you should realize you're still childish for worrying that you might be childish.

*Slaps AhmadMetallic*

Shut your mouth, you may want to entertain yourself purely through a self-satisfactory avenue of entertainment that barely passes the Miller Test but some of us would like to see video games furthered as a narrative experience. Also comedy analysis exists so comedians can create new and effective material by having a deeper understanding of how people prefer their jokes, and a exceedingly well crafted joke just feels great to tell.

Lastly puns are funniest if you manage to nest them really well into your speech, it's why accidental puns always seem funnier.

Also sorry if I offended Metallic.

#18 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (1855 posts) -

I like low-brow humor.

Therefore I like really awful puns. Like, a Max Scoville level of punster. So I guess what I'm saying is the best puns are the worst ones.

#19 Posted by JasonR86 (9379 posts) -

Yep. I've laughed at some puns. Even really, really bad ones.

#20 Posted by Bocam (3553 posts) -

There are good kanji puns in Japanese.

#21 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

There are good puns in battle rap.  

#22 Edited by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

I also should mention that my favorite jokes are anti-humor jokes.

#23 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

I also should menton taht my faovrite jokes are anti-humor jokes.

I think anti-humor is different than the pun though.

#24 Posted by crusader8463 (14319 posts) -

Puns are the highest form of comedy. So high brow in fact that the reason most people moan is because they lack the intelligence to understand the complexities and intricate beauty that goes into a great pun. I'm playing Guild Wars 2 at the moment, and my first class was the engineer. My default name for any engineer class I make is always Fungineer, but it was taken. So instead I used Pungineer. I was rather proud of that one.

#25 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Animasta said:

@MikeGosot said:

I also should menton taht my faovrite jokes are anti-humor jokes.

I think anti-humor is different than the pun though.

But the whole point of the anti-humor is the anticlimax, and a bad pun could have the same appeal.
#26 Posted by Jimbo (9710 posts) -

The dumber the better. The pun threads on every RPS news story are possibly both the best and worst thing on the internet.

#27 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -

I'm not sure... 

let me punder over it a little longer.

#28 Posted by ajamafalous (11592 posts) -

I think every pun is hilarious. I don't care how much of a low-hanging fruit it is, just the fact that you went out of your way to make a pun out of whatever it was is fucking hilarious.

#29 Posted by Hunter5024 (5175 posts) -

It doesn't really work unless you say it out loud. As long as it makes you laugh it's good, even if you're laughing ironically. There's an awesome one about a frayed knot.

#30 Posted by FrenchClub (21 posts) -

"My blod is typo" - @meganamram

#31 Posted by McGhee (6091 posts) -
. . . OF COURSE THERE IS.
#32 Edited by believer258 (11047 posts) -

@Blackout62 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Animasta said:

@NTM said:

*Slaps AhmadMetallic*

Shut your mouth, you may want to entertain yourself purely through a self-satisfactory avenue of entertainment that barely passes the Miller Test but some of us would like to see video games furthered as a narrative experience. Also comedy analysis exists so comedians can create new and effective material by having a deeper understanding of how people prefer their jokes, and a exceedingly well crafted joke just feels great to tell.

Lastly puns are funniest if you manage to nest them really well into your speech, it's why accidental puns always seem funnier.

Also sorry if I offended Metallic.

AhmadMetallic was not talking about narrative, he was talking about games becoming nothing more than a sightseeing tour where you push some buttons to move between each set; this is as opposed to, say, Deus Ex, where you feel like you're given a goal, a set of toys, and an area to complete that goal in however manner you like. There isn't anything wrong with expanding narrative in games, what's wrong is exchanging gameplay depth for action set pieces or cutscenes that try to pass as gameplay by making you push X to not die.

On the topic of puns, if someone thinks lesser of me for laughing at them then fuck those guys. I'm having fun.

#33 Posted by Zacagawea (1569 posts) -

I've never not laughed at a pun

#34 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

I don't know, let me Pun-der on that for a moment.

#35 Posted by Zekhariah (694 posts) -

Puns that require a large amount of technical knowledge or shameful amount of knowledge in a sub-culture (electronics, programming, random games, etc) to understand are fantastic.

#36 Posted by Dagbiker (6898 posts) -

I dont know, Let me think of pun.

#37 Posted by Pox22 (342 posts) -

Puns are inherently, intrinsically, and unequivocally good. The greatest good, even.

#38 Posted by Muerthoz (344 posts) -

I think I only really enjoy puns that make me say, "Wow, that was bad."
I guess, for a pun to be a good one, it has to be bad.

#39 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

Chicken-related humour is at a crossroads.

:D

#40 Posted by thevigilanteoflove (486 posts) -

I love puns so much.

#41 Posted by Little_Socrates (5650 posts) -

Most of them are punishing.

#42 Posted by wumbo3000 (904 posts) -

Puns are always punny to me.

#43 Posted by Phr4nk0 (344 posts) -

Yes, there is also a Big Pun, though that's strictly Off the Books.

#44 Posted by biscuitsandtim (22 posts) -

If James Bond knew about this thread he'd simultaneously be spinning in his grave and vomiting in disgust. It'd be a mess. That guy loves puns

#45 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1521 posts) -

Arrested Development had some pretty good puns.

#46 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

It says "Choo Choo Choose You" and there's a picture of a train on it!

#47 Edited by CaLe (3678 posts) -

The answer to your question is yes. If you disagree then all I have to say is:

#48 Posted by Vextroid (1316 posts) -

No, they are all stupid, but that is the appeal so...?

I prefer good word play myself.

#49 Posted by Intro (1191 posts) -

Yeah, I have a real appreciation for puns though. Sadly almost all of them make me laugh at least a little.

#50 Posted by Demoskinos (13875 posts) -

I once read about a crematorium that gave discounts to burn victims.