Is there such a thing as "Kojima Overload"?

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I have never really been interested in the idea of revisiting old favorites of my past. When I was younger I would go back and load up the final save in some of my favorite games, to once again, experience the ending. As I have gotten older, I no longer really have that desire. Don't get me wrong, I love the games of my youth and the games that defined why I love gaming. With that said though, I just don't feel like going back and playing through a game that I have played through before. Maybe it's because I am older and time is... you know, a serious thing now.

Thus I find it very interesting and unexpected that I am revisiting the Metal Gear Solid series. These games are pretty much near and dear to my heart, and while I (for reasons that may seem obvious from the above) have never really been into the whole "HD Collection" thing that has been taking the current gaming market by storm, I recently received an unexpected gift in the form of the MGS HD Collection. I much appreciated it and did find myself loading up MGS2 and giving it a whirl. Maybe it's the way the game has transferred quite well to high-resolutions or maybe I actually did enjoy replaying the game, but something lit a fire in me and I found myself playing through MGS2, MGS3 and even loading up MGS for the original Playstation. Suffice it to say that the last three weeks have been quite eventful, as my free time has been absorbed into this franchise, all over again. I find myself playing them most of the night, even when I know that I have a busy day ahead.

Now, we have come to the finale... the big conclusion; Metal Gear Solid 4, which is the game that I argue to be the best in the series. I have been very excited to play this one, now that the other games are fresh in my mind. As I finished MGS yesterday, I noticed something slight near the end and was very apparent at the beginning of MGS4. I believe I have come down with, something I refer to as "Kojima Overload". Don't get me wrong, I play these games for the story. I have always been on board with this franchise and have been enthralled with the story and characters, as they are near and dear to my heart. With that said though, I realize three weeks of these games is a little too much. Maybe I need to take a week off or some kind of short break and stop smell the roses per se. Then start back up MGS4, and replay the opening. It's just that the moment the game starts, and after a slight bit, my head is killing me. I love the exposition... the story... the feel... but it's a little too much at the moment and I need a break damn it! OK, I know I need to calm down. Still, have you ever experienced something like this with a franchise you hold dear? Who knows, maybe I am just tired and I'll load it back up and love ever second tomorrow, but as it stands, I might want to wait a little bit, so the game can impact me the way I was wanting, and that I remember years ago.

Wait a minute, what am I saying? I am going out of town in a few days, of course I need to take a break!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never really been interested in the idea of revisiting old favorites of my past. When I was younger I would go back and load up the final save in some of my favorite games, to once again, experience the ending. As I have gotten older, I no longer really have that desire. Don't get me wrong, I love the games of my youth and the games that defined why I love gaming. With that said though, I just don't feel like going back and playing through a game that I have played through before. Maybe it's because I am older and time is... you know, a serious thing now.

Thus I find it very interesting and unexpected that I am revisiting the Metal Gear Solid series. These games are pretty much near and dear to my heart, and while I (for reasons that may seem obvious from the above) have never really been into the whole "HD Collection" thing that has been taking the current gaming market by storm, I recently received an unexpected gift in the form of the MGS HD Collection. I much appreciated it and did find myself loading up MGS2 and giving it a whirl. Maybe it's the way the game has transferred quite well to high-resolutions or maybe I actually did enjoy replaying the game, but something lit a fire in me and I found myself playing through MGS2, MGS3 and even loading up MGS for the original Playstation. Suffice it to say that the last three weeks have been quite eventful, as my free time has been absorbed into this franchise, all over again. I find myself playing them most of the night, even when I know that I have a busy day ahead.

Now, we have come to the finale... the big conclusion; Metal Gear Solid 4, which is the game that I argue to be the best in the series. I have been very excited to play this one, now that the other games are fresh in my mind. As I finished MGS yesterday, I noticed something slight near the end and was very apparent at the beginning of MGS4. I believe I have come down with, something I refer to as "Kojima Overload". Don't get me wrong, I play these games for the story. I have always been on board with this franchise and have been enthralled with the story and characters, as they are near and dear to my heart. With that said though, I realize three weeks of these games is a little too much. Maybe I need to take a week off or some kind of short break and stop smell the roses per se. Then start back up MGS4, and replay the opening. It's just that the moment the game starts, and after a slight bit, my head is killing me. I love the exposition... the story... the feel... but it's a little too much at the moment and I need a break damn it! OK, I know I need to calm down. Still, have you ever experienced something like this with a franchise you hold dear? Who knows, maybe I am just tired and I'll load it back up and love ever second tomorrow, but as it stands, I might want to wait a little bit, so the game can impact me the way I was wanting, and that I remember years ago.

Wait a minute, what am I saying? I am going out of town in a few days, of course I need to take a break!

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By MikkaQ

Yeah I recently played through all things MGS, inspired by that HD collection. I didn't have any "overload", I just kinda sputtered out after buying Snake Eater 3D right after beating Snake Eater on the 360. In fact, I had a hunger for more Kojima, so I wound up playing some Policenauts, and I'm kinda poking around e-bay for the Sega CD edition of Snatcher.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MikkaQ: I think you and I are on the same page. I think it's more that I have had a lot going on this week. Due to finals and a potentially busy weekend and a busy week coming up. I might just want to take a small break and restart the game later next week when I get back from out of town. That will be the break I needed. I played through the first hours of MGS4, and I question if I was fully "there". Then again, I maybe just be conjuring this idea for nothing.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Jeust

Well I did play the three Uncharted entries from the PS3 twice without a break. And I played to completion Alan Wake, its DLCs and American Nightmare. I loved all of those experiences, but I came to the conclusion that there a limit to the amount of exposure to a material without limiting the fun. Give yourself a break, and relax.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jeust: As I said, I have come to agree that this is a philosophy with some truth. I'll take head to your words, good sir.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By iam3green

kind of had that. i bought HD collection when it came out played it like 8 hours and then stopped. i plan on playing it again some time. it's a GREAT game i enjoy playing metal gear games, i beat snake eater on ps2.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By MikkaQ

@PainGod89 said:

@MikkaQ: I think you and I are on the same page. I think it's more that I have had a lot going on this week. Due to finals and a potentially busy weekend and a busy week coming up. I might just want to take a small break and restart the game later next week when I get back from out of town. That will be the break I needed. I played through the first hours of MGS4, and I question if I was fully "there". Then again, I maybe just be conjuring this idea for nothing.

Maybe you should take a break and restart, MGS 4 is a game worth paying attention to, since it gets pretty confusing pretty quickly. There's a lot there if you payed close attention to the story throughout the series. It's definitely the most plot-dense game in the series and was a pretty good send-off for Solid Snake.

Now that my classes are finally finished I can put more time into Peace Walker. It's probably the most time consuming MGS game I've played. It's pretty much the opposite of MGS 4; it's considerably heavier on the gameplay. I've put like 60 hours into the PSP and Xbox versions so far.

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By phampire

nah i don't think a kojima overload existed for me, I go into MGS really late so I played MGS 1,2,3 and 4 in a period of like 2 months... and I loved it.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The problem with Metal Gear Solid I have. When I play them (when I was younger) the spectacul at the time sold me. Now when I go back, in retrospect, I notice alot of bad things and it becomes very annoying. Embarrising even that I didn't pick it up originally.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#10  Edited By Little_Socrates

WHATEVER YOU SAY, MISSILE!!!

Uh, anyways. I revile MGS4, so there's not enough Kojima that I like out there to allow for me to "overload."

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By wadtomaton

I played through all 3 God of Wars pretty much back to back when the HD collection and then 3 came out. From what I remember it I did feel a little bit of that towards the end, but it may have also been because FF XIII had also come out around the same time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phampire: Yeah, but I have played through 1,2,3 in the course of 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. There's a little difference there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MikkaQ: I'm sure that school is part of it for me as well. I am just very glad that today is my final day for the semester! Yeah, I am going to take a week or two off from the game. I've already been a huge MGS lover most of my life and am way ahead of your there. I have already played through these games. I wanted to play through MGS4 while the series is still fresh in my mind, but I would rather play through it when I can enjoy better. It's not like everything I've played won't be fresh in my mind in a few weeks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm currently on a Metal Gear kick, myself. I finished Snake Eater not long ago and now I'm working through Peace Walker.