Is this an appropriate response from a government teacher?

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Twitchey

First here is some background so you know how this occurred.

I am a Junior in high school. Everyday in 3rd period we have the announcements and say the pledge. I do not say the pledge nor do I stand for the pledge for personal reasons.

On Thursday my class and I had to go to a different classroom because our original teacher was away and must of had no time to find a substitute.
We take our seats and wait for the announcements to begin. When they begin to say pledge everyone else stands besides me, as usual.
Well after the pledge the teacher who is watching us walks behind me, well let me just type the conversation.

Teacher - "You know you did not stand for the pledge."
Me - "Yea I know."
Teacher - "Why not? Do you hate America?"
Me - "Uhm, I'm not a fan..."
Teacher - "OH!!! Well then why do you live here! Why do you come to an American school then!"
Me - "Because I'm a High School student who was born here and have no other choice"
Teacher - "Well then why don't you move to another country like Iraq, Pakistan, or Mexico" (not sure why she grouped Mexico into that)
Me - "If you're willing to pay my way then sure"
Teacher - "I'm not going to do that"
Me - "Then stop complaining about it"
She said all of this loudly enough so the other students could hear us.

Well, later in the class she begins to call roll. When she reaches my name and I say "here" she says, very loudly, "OH! The America hater"
Then we began our assignment which was to watch a video over India's culture and she practically screams  "MAYBE YOU SHOULD LIVE THERE!!!"

So, do you think this is appropriate behavior from a teacher, someone who gets mad at students for being immature.

Edit: I'm not offended by what she said and how she acted. I just thought it was hilarious and wanted to see if this crossed the line for a teacher.

Another edit: The reason I have not complained is because later the day, near the end of class her three foot high stool broke from under her and she fell on her ass, so I felt that was enough for me.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Pazy

She is a right dick, you could report her assuming her superiors dont have similar attitudes.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Dany

Was she being serious? Sounds like an inane thing for an adult to get worked up about

Also, its the fucking pledge, just stand in respect of the people around you.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By FancySoapsMan

don't be a dick and stand up for the pledge

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Evilsbane

She isn't right and neither are you, if I was in another country I would stand and show respect for their culture and beliefs. So your both dicks.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mnzy

No, it's not.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zityz

Yea, she has no right to do that. Isn't one of your rights Freedom of Speech of something?

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By benjaebe

Where do you live where they still do the pledge in high school. I'm inclined to believe that isn't exactly how the conversation went because people make themselves sound a lot better when they're telling the story. Regardless, if you feel like she was out of line then you should talk to the principal, not post it on Giant Bomb.

opp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By opp

That teacher sounds very immature.

Also,  no i dont think that was an appropriate response :)

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By craigbo180

You are both in the wrong, but I would say it's worse on her behalf because your allowed a certain level of dumbness because you are a kid.

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Twitchey
@benjaebe: I'm dead serious this is how the conversation went. I live in Texas, so not only did I not stand for the United States pledge, I did not stand for the Texas pledge, so she must have been double pissed.
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Stop being a prick and show some respect. Neither of you are right.

management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By management

I just think it is really stupid that American students have to make a pledge at school.

I just don't see why you should have to.
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By JasonR86
@Twitchey said:

Well, I don't really agree with either of you but I respect your choice.  She overreacted and that is unfortunate.  Though this isn't a good excuse, she may have family or friends who are in the military and take not saying the pledge as an insult to those family members or friends.  If not that, I'm sure there is some other rationale for why she overreacted.  But, again, that isn't a good excuse.  She shouldn't have done that.  Though I don't agree with your behavior either you have all the right to not pledge allegiance to your country.  That's part of what makes this country great.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pazy
@Twitchey said:

@benjaebe: I'm dead serious this is how the conversation went. I live in Texas, so not only did I not stand for the United States pledge, I did not stand for the Texas pledge, so she must have been double pissed.

Oh probably dont complain to your principal, stereotyping tells me that he will label you as a "friend of Obama" and then segregate you for the "safety" of the other students.

EDIT: Though seriously you should complain. While I wouldn't stand for a pledge (I certainly never said prayers in primary school) I can understand the view that "its just a pledge" or that you should show respect for your country (and those who died for it) there is a line for a teacher and I think she crossed it.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dungbootle
If everything was as you describe, then yeah she was being dickish.
No offense but you sound like "that kid". I don't care either way, but don't be so surprised that people would take offense to not even standing up for the pledge.

@benjaebe

Like OP, I am from Texas. Is it different elsewhere?
benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By benjaebe
@Management: A lot of schools don't. I think it's a very regional thing. I stopped pledging in middle school and I'm in the northeast. OP is from Texas so it's not a huge surprise they're still doing it.
Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Twitchey
@Pazy: Could you interpret the "friend of Obama" part. I'm not big in politics, mainly because when I hear anything about it I usually don't like what I hear and try to change the subject/channel.
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AlexW00d

Why the hell should you be forced to respect something? Isn't America supposed to be the land of Freedom? She is completely in the wrong, you are completely in the right.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

It's your right to remain seated during the pledge, as far as I'm concerned here in Massachusetts it's widely accepted (especially in public schools) that you don't have to stand for the pledge. Unless you were giving the flag the finger and spilling racist slurs during the whole pledge I fail to see what the big deal is. You were respectfully declining to engage in the pledge, it was all you could do. I would seriously consider going over this cunt's head with this issue, that is no way to treat a student. And seeing as how sensitive the world of today is to political correctness, you'll probably see that bitch in the unemployment line soon enough.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By unchained

Here's a thought. Talk to your principal and teachers and explain your feelings regarding the pledge before hand in a civil manner and asked to be excused from the room during the pledge from here on in.  

Otherwise, if you just stay seated while everyone else stands,  you just appear to be a typical "rebellious" teenager who wants to be a non-conformist and no one will take you seriously. The teacher was wrong to single you out like that, but you had to have expected (maybe wanted) a reaction like that by not doing what your are expected to do.   
benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By benjaebe
@AlexW00d: You aren't forced. In 1943 the Supreme Court ruled that it was unconstitutional to force school children to recite the pledge, and it's only in about half of the states that schools encourage children to recite the pledge at all.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jimbo

If you really want to live in Mexico or Pakistan over the US then you do have some growing up to do, but neither should the US be indoctrinating children by pressuring them into swearing allegiance to a flag.  It's pretty creepy.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By X19

Only in America!!!

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By laserbolts
Having to recite a pledge everyday in school is pretty funny. Silly America.
Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Twitchey
@Jimbo: I don't want to live in either of them, but I would like to visit an Arabian country though. I just said that to piss her off, I wasn't being serious since it was funny as hell to me.
JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By JudgeDread
@Evilsbane said:
She isn't right and neither are you, if I was in another country I would stand and show respect for their culture and beliefs. So your both dicks.
heard about freedom of speech, you know the thing in your constitution?
or are you one of those who would like to prefer a fascist nation?
mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mnzy

Land of the free (nationalists)

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By penguindust

Both of you were in the wrong.  Even if you choose not to say the pledge, you should at least stand out of respect for your fellow classmates.  It's the same reason you should stand when they play "God Save the Queen", "Oh, Canada" or any other nation's anthem in the US.  She was in the wrong for making it all about American policy which is what "love or hate America" comes down to these days.  It's about courtesy.  If you want it afforded to you, you have to grant it to others. 

mrv321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mrv321

How dare you believe something different? Not pledging to freedom of speech and expresion... your sick. Messed up.. what next will you have a different opinion?

Terrorist.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Spoonman671
@PenguinDust said:
Both of you were in the wrong.  Even if you choose not to say the pledge, you should at least stand out of respect for your fellow classmates.  It's the same reason you should stand when they play "God Save the Queen", "Oh, Canada" or any other nation's anthem in the US.  She was in the wrong for making it all about American policy which is what "love or hate America" comes down to these days.  It's about courtesy.  If you want it afforded to you, you have to grant it to others. 
Yup.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By Azteck
@AlexW00d said:
Why the hell should you be forced to respect something? Isn't America supposed to be the land of Freedom? She is completely in the wrong, you are completely in the right.
Kind of what I was thinking as well
actionTACO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By actionTACO

ahahah, they still make children recite a pledge of allegiance. i thought most countries grow out of this nationalistic tripe by this point.

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Twitchey
@actionTACO: Not the United States. In Texas you even have to say a pledge for it. Which is just like the United States pledge except shorter and substitutes America for Texas.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yea, she's an overly patriotic dick. My advice would be to quote the hell out of George Bernard Shaw whilst in her presence.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By EpicSteve

That's a completely approprite response. You were being a complete dick. I mean, not respecting your country!? That's twisted shit. It's your freedom to be disrespectful. But you're obviously going through a rebellious teenage stage. Probably watched some Liberal Iraq war documentary or something. Most people I saw go through their "fight the man" stage, grew out of it. It offends people like me that people like you can't appreciate the sacrifices that have been made. Especially in a time of war were we have 1-3 soldiers die everyday, at least stand up. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#37  Edited By natetodamax
@PenguinDust said:
  It's about courtesy.  If you want it afforded to you, you have to grant it to others. 
That's not how high school students work.
LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LiquidS

Going through the stage of "Fuck the Man!" that a lot of teenagers tend to go through. Will go away when you get a full time job & family and realize that there are more important things to worry about.

She was in the wrong but so are you.
maximus_vi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By maximus_vi

Definitely not an appropriate response, but I am with the people in here that think you should stand anyway out of respect. You're putting way too much value on such a dated formality, like it somehow defines who you are. This just seems like an act from section one of the attention whore's handbook.

Lifestrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Lifestrike
@laserbolts said:
Having to recite a pledge everyday in school is pretty funny. Silly America.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#41  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Maximus_VI said:
You're putting way too much value on such a dated formality
Yet the people pissed at him for it aren't? This isn't the best way to approach the situation.
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By delta_ass

Honestly, I'm not a fan of either one of you.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By hatking

She sounds like an angry old hag and you sound like an angsty teenage; you're both wrong.

mikethekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mikethekilla

The both of you kinda come off as jerks 

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Pazy
@Twitchey said:
@Pazy: Could you interpret the "friend of Obama" part. I'm not big in politics, mainly because when I hear anything about it I usually don't like what I hear and try to change the subject/channel.
Im not big on Politics but stereotyping tells me he will see you as a terrorist lol
sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By sparklykiss

I had to do the pledge and we had a moment of silence every day all through school and it was even a part of the graduation ceremony. Yeah, it may not be something you think you should be doing or want to do, but it's not like you have to recite it. If you're sitting out solely because you don't want to stand up for 20-30 seconds, then that would be an issue. I had a few classmates then who were just too lazy and wanted to seem rebellious by staying seated. Don't be that kid.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By blueduck
@EpicSteve said:
That's a completely approprite response. You were being a complete dick. I mean, not respecting your country!? That's twisted shit. It's your freedom to be disrespectful. But you're obviously going through a rebellious teenage stage. Probably watched some Liberal Iraq war documentary or something. Most people I saw go through their "fight the man" stage, grew out of it. It offends people like me that people like you can't appreciate the sacrifices that have been made. Especially in a time of war were we have 1-3 soldiers die everyday, at least stand up. 
What do you mean by "Liberal Iraq war documentary"?
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Example1013
@Twitchey: Tell her that you love America for its freedom of speech, and are simply exercising your right to do so.

That should probably make her shut the fuck up.
Scapegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Scapegoat

I think you should ask yourself why don't you stand for the pledge? Are you so disgusted by a country that you won't show a little respect? Would you rather be living in a third world country?
I'm not trying to be inflammatory, just trying to get you to try and verbalize what exactly about your country that you feel so strongly as to not stand for the pledge? You don't have to be a red neck patriot to be able to stand and show some respect.

For example I went to a "Christian" all boys high school. The school wasn't really Christian, this amounted mostly to us singing hymns during special occasions (war memorials). In taking part I didn't feel as though I was being forced to be Christian, to believe things I did not believe, or forced to think a certain way. It was simply about respecting the customs and traditions of the school (and those that gave their lives).

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#50  Edited By wefwefasdf

Oh, please. Don't be that guy. I guess you wanted even more attention for being a douche by posting your event on a gaming website? Nice one.