Is this an appropriate response from a government teacher?

actionTACO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By actionTACO
@Twitchey said:
@actionTACO: Not the United States. In Texas you even have to say a pledge for it. Which is just like the United States pledge except shorter and substitutes America for Texas.
wow, that somehow manages to be even worse. gg texas

and lol at all the "both sides wrong" posts. have you people ever considered installing a line gauge in your figurative rectums so you can get some scientific measurements on exactly how far that metaphorical fence your all sitting on is wedged up your collective asses?
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Aetheldod

Pledging alliance to a nation  , patriotism those are silly things to do .... as if countries were set in stone. Also patriots when will you understand that "honoring" a piece of cloth , pledging , a nation  does not = people and  respect for the dead and their sacrifices ,  that is the biggest dumb thing I 've ever heard. And lets not forget that nationalism has caused 2 of the most destructive wars in man kind history with the highest amounts of deaths in war , so a  kid not standing up for a dumb thing is not the worst thing in the world , altho OP there are better ways to stand up for ones principles (unless you were being only a lazy boy which then you are indeed a dick).

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By KaosAngel

You should be kicked out of the country if you hate America so much.

Go live in Africa and drop out of school, see if you like it then.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Turambar
@benjaebe said:
  I'm inclined to believe that isn't exactly how the conversation went because people make themselves sound a lot better when they're telling the story. Regardless, if you feel like she was out of line then you should talk to the principal, not post it on Giant Bomb.
This pretty much.
awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By awe_stuck

You should report her for bein completely insane. Or, videotape her with your phone next time she freaks out. Some kid egged on a teacher and put it on youtube it was pretty classic. Watchin a teacher freak out and try to pound the crap out of someone.

She was wrong. 
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By beej
@Scapegoat: Or some of us can like a country without feeling the need to express so in an utterly meaningless formality that pays homage to a piece of fucking cloth. This idea that we all have to focus our efforts value and respect for our country onto a flag ignores the reality that it's people that either make the country good or bad, not the flag.

What the OP did was totally fine, exercising his speech in this manner can't really be construed as offensive. Maybe it's an insult to rampant jingoism, but I don't see the problem with that.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By Afroman269

Ya she sounds like an asshole but if I was in that situation I would have at least stood up. In high school, I never said the pledge. If I came into class on time, which was rare, I would at least stand up. Also, there's a good chance you spiced up this story to favor your situation, it happens a lot when people "take it to the internets".

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#58  Edited By Gabriel
@Evilsbane said:
She isn't right and neither are you, if I was in another country I would stand and show respect for their culture and beliefs. So your both dicks.
imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By imsh_pl

She acted like a jerk. You had every right to do as you did. Although if I were you I'd propably at least stand up, but I'm not here to judge your personal opinion regarding America.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#60  Edited By Gabriel
@actionTACO said:
@Twitchey said:
@actionTACO: Not the United States. In Texas you even have to say a pledge for it. Which is just like the United States pledge except shorter and substitutes America for Texas.

and lol at all the "both sides wrong" posts. have you people ever considered installing a line gauge in your figurative rectums so you can get some scientific measurements on exactly how far that metaphorical fence your all sitting on is wedged up your collective asses?
Oh I forgot being moderate isn't cool on the internet. 
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By damnboyadvance

It's an inappropriate response for any adult at a high school, especially a substitute that has no idea about your background. But you have to understand that while you might not respect the country, others do, and the substitute likely saw your response as offensive. That doesn't excuse what she said, but you still could have shown more respect for her views.

Although I don't quite understand why you DON'T say the pledge, I'll try and respect that.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Turambar

I do have to say, I like how you phrased the title of the thread, referring to her as a "government" teacher instead of public school teacher like anyone else.  Definitely shows off just what axe you're grinding.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Vexxan

It's America, can't you get her fired for that?

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By awe_stuck
@AlexW00d said:
Why the hell should you be forced to respect something? Isn't America supposed to be the land of Freedom? She is completely in the wrong, you are completely in the right.
Sheepism? 

Im figuring his teacher is a mad cow, but you never know.
TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By TorMasturba

I take the view that giving people respect and making them feel good about themselves is a great way, from personal experience, to live life and jointly people are so, so, so much more inclined to see and follow your way of thinking if you make them feel like they're important and have higher ability than you at a certain specific physical ability or skill.

Everybody has an ego and it sounds like this rather obnoxious, and stick-up-the-ass type, person's ego is very centered around pride in their country and state, which you may have appeared to have been showing a small level of disrespect towards something they stand for by ironically not even standing up. I say appeared because you're likely a good, respectable person yourself.

I'd write a letter to this person that goes something like this:

Dear such and such,

We had a rather heated argument the other day through differences of oppinion. You seem to have a very respectable loyalty to our country and while I do love my life in America I often fail to react in a curtious, respectul manner, as I'm sometimes bull-headed and very often I'm wrong about things, frequently finding myself doing things that I later consider rather stupid for doing.

(Please don't be offended, this's a strategy I've used myself with hard to deal with people, I've found that the above sort of paragraph generally makes people who hate or are very angry at you/me, even though they're yet meet me, turn to a metaphorical easily spread tub of warm butter, because you've just said all of what they were thinking before they had a chance to think it and say it themselves, so their's no more for them to say other than to agree and tell you that you aren't actually silly or bad at all. You disarmed them without attacking their ego or intelligence, and you're effectively under their radar now, they could possibly even like you and feel rather rude for talking to you the way they did. But consider that if they do insist on further berating you that just makes them look incredibly foolish and cruel. For which most people will start to visibly resent him/her for it they hear about it.)

Next bit:

On the other side of this I also revere the right of conduct as a citizen of this great country, and also of this great nation of ours, the right to freedom of speech and as a side to this right, essentially the right to freedom of my feelings, as are you with yours. Thankyou for so considerately and adroitly making me aware of this, you reminded me of myself. We all have feelings and my shouting/rudeness at you for attempting to correct what possibly percieved as inconsiderate behaviour has given me a better perspective. I would ask though that next time you may feel I'm being disrespectful towards your personal beliefs that I'm really showing respect for them in a different way, I will either way stand up in future, and while I still hold the same beliefs that I originally had before our confrontation, in fact they're stonger now because of the way you approach than they would have if you had maybe approached me even more so adroitly, I've thankfully been corrected and will not do this again.

Yours sincerely, such and such/Twitchey.

Granted this's not everybody's way, but a guy from the early 1900's known as Dale carnegie taught this stuff, wrote a book about what he taught and only down to fantastic word-of-mouth did his book gain massive unexpected popularity, and his book still sells in several thousands each year 100 years on, amassing to several considerable million sold in total.

You seem like a cool guy Twitchey thankyou for putting up a topic that made me prattle on about something I'm very passionate about, you've caused me much enjoyment in writing the above. :-)

You're followed.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66  Edited By landon

Put your hand over your heart, mouth the words, and sit back down.

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#67  Edited By ATrevelan

From where I sit, you're both in the wrong. Standing up for the pledge doesn't mean that you support it, it's just a way of acknowledging that the thing's happening. I have many, many students who stand up but don't say the pledge or put their hands over their heart and nobody's ever given them guff about it. Failing to stand up, on the other hand, can easily be seen as a sign of disrespect. It's like being that guy in the front row who doesn't stand for a performer while everybody else gives a standing ovation--by your inaction you're implying that the pledge isn't even worthy of acknowledgement.

Now the teacher should be reprimanded for 1) acting childish and 2) failing to maintain an open classroom environment. Especially in government and history--the two subjects I teach--it's all to easy to let political tensions run high. By "showing her colors," so to speak, the teacher subtly (or not so subtly) shut down students who didn't share her beliefs. I like to keep my students guessing what I believe so they feel more comfortable speaking out. That wouldn't happen if my kids thought I would somehow reprimand them for disagreeing with me. So to answer your question: no, that was not an appropriate response, but you could have avoided the situation.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By McGhee

Public schools are government indoctrination camps. Being coerced to stand with hand over heart and pledge "under god" is like something from a 1984 dictatorship, not a supposedly free republic.

farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By farmer
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
Public schools are government indoctrination camps. Being coerced to stand with hand over heart and pledge "under god" is like something from a 1984 dictatorship, not a supposedly free republic.
We have always been at war with Eastasia
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By beej
@Gabriel said:
@actionTACO said:
@Twitchey said:

Oh I forgot being moderate isn't cool on the internet. 
How exactly are you being moderate? You just quoted a statement that called the OP and the teacher a dick. That totally fits the definition of moderate? How is it that the OP isn't allowed to be upset with his country on some level or another? Why is it the OP has to buy into insane nationalism? Why is it the OP has to export all of his feelings (ONLY GOOD ONES) onto a flag?

How about you explain more in depth why exercising your constitutionally protected right to not address a fucking flag makes you a dick. It's not necessarily your moderation that's dumb, it's your completely unwarranted claim that's made for the sake of being moderate.
Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#71  Edited By Oni

America IS still a free country, isn't it? So not saying the pledge (why the hell is that even a thing, jesus) or standing up for it, you're well within your rights. Fuck that "if you're not with us, you're against us" attitude, just think for yourself and decide what is right. Don't let other people tell you what you should do, ESPECIALLY if the best they can do is play the patriotism card. Wankers.

Avatar image for coheedfavorhouse
CoheedFavorHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#72  Edited By CoheedFavorHouse

i had an english teacher tell me that i was a communist because i didn't pledge to the flag. admittedly, she was trying to use it as an insult, and has very little idea of what communism truly is outside of american propaganda. 

it doesn't bother me. it's easier to let ignorance run rampant that to try to explain something, you know, intelligent. explaining politics to her would be more trouble than its worth, and shes clearly too bigoted to learn anything.
Scapegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Scapegoat
@beej: Yes. All those patrioatic Americans are just real flag enthusiasts... it's not like the flag could symbolize something? Let's just take everything in a literal way!
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever your reason, be it good or not, you have a right not to say the pledge.  So, in my eyes she was in the wrong, especially in how ridiculous she acted if she really said all those things.

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By JudgeDread
@damnboyadvance said:
It's an inappropriate response for any adult at a high school, especially a substitute that has no idea about your background. But you have to understand that while you might not respect the country, others do, and the substitute likely saw your response as offensive. That doesn't excuse what she said, but you still could have shown more respect for her views.Although I don't quite understand why you DON'T say the pledge, I'll try and respect that.
why should he show respect to other peoples views by being submissive and obeying them?
redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By redbliss

Your teacher obviously took your actions as a personal attack. Her actions were clearly uncalled for. If she were a fan of America she would know and understand that we all have a freedom of speech. It is well within everyone's rights to not say the pledge. Your substitute teacher just needs to take a chill pill.
Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#77  Edited By Bennyishere

Ahahaha, that was hilarious indeed. I'd just ignore it.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By UnrealDP

Yeah, she was kinda out of line, but you were being a prick for just out right not standing. You could have tried to be a bit respectful, and stand while lip syncing.
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#79  Edited By Hizang

Short answer that is not professional for the teacher, if a student recordered that and showed it to a teacher she would have been in some trouble. However you should have stood for the pledge, it's your country, you should still stand for your country even if you don't like Amercia.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By beej
@Scapegoat: There's a difference between being patriotic, and calling someone else a dick for not being so. I'm asking why it is that you think the OP's a dick for not placing any national pride he might have upon a flag. Especially when the pledge contains material he might find objectionable (under god?).
Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#82  Edited By Oni
@EpicSteve said:
That's a completely approprite response. You were being a complete dick. I mean, not respecting your country!? That's twisted shit. It's your freedom to be disrespectful. But you're obviously going through a rebellious teenage stage. Probably watched some Liberal Iraq war documentary or something. Most people I saw go through their "fight the man" stage, grew out of it. It offends people like me that people like you can't appreciate the sacrifices that have been made. Especially in a time of war were we have 1-3 soldiers die everyday, at least stand up. 
Wow are you even being serious? I seriously can't tell. "some Liberal Iraq war documentary", fucking lol. You're making a lot of assumptions about the TS. He doesn't want to say the pledge, leave him be. What the hell does that have to do with disrespecting soldiers? He isn't stopping anyone else from saying it. You need to get some perspective.
SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By SomeJerk

I gamed with someone in Philly who in the 90's during school ended up on crutches after a fall and..

Yeah you get the idea. His teacher got to continue her work. No chance in hell especially these days to get something out of it but you know..  "Would be a shame if the media heard about this, wouldn't it?"

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By zels

@UnrealDP said: 

Yeah, she was kinda out of line, but you were being a prick for just out right not standing. You could have tried to be a bit respectful, and stand while lip syncing.

Aerica, the land of the fr... hypocritical. Imo, this whole pledging is ridiculous (especially if you're meant to do it every day).
Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By MariachiMacabre

She was in the wrong but your actions seem like you're doing it just to get attention.

SpencerBoltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By SpencerBoltz

Well, theoretically, your'e both right.  It is within your teachers rights to express their views on people who don't participate in the pledge of allegiance.  However, I think any teacher who is potentially so closed minded must be a pretty bad teacher (maybe this is why America is so far behind in academics).  Also, it is a teachers duty to provide a safe environment for critical thinking and discussion, this kind of behavior seems to do the opposite.  In the end, your teacher has rights to think and say these things but should not because they have a higher duty to uphold. 

Now, you have the right to say or not say "the pledge" but with that comes consequences, such as the ones you've experienced.  The important thing for you to consider is your duty as a student.  If you don't want to say the pledge, then don't, but be educated about it.  Back up your reasons in a logical manner, prove to your teachers that you are actually learning something.  Use the scientific method to back up your ideas.  

You are both right, but it is important for both parties to consider what they are actually doing and whether or not this is serving their personal duties and if it is indeed worth it to make a statement about it.  

Americans are allowed to disagree, that's kind of the point, just be smart about it, please.
Razgrez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Razgrez
@Twitchey: honestly you came off as a jerk. all you did was make her life difficult. you should explain why you do not stand not just say "whatever". how she was conducting herself was not professional but you showed a complete lack of respect by that sarcastic response.  
beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By beeftothetaco

No, it was not appropriate of her to rag on you like that. Although you are allowed to voice your opinion, I also think, however, you are being immature and a little ungrateful. Like someone else on this thread mentioned, it is disrespectful to those around you to not do the pledge; you should do it whether you mean it or not, its just common courtesy. I'm not even an American, so I can only imagine what someone in the U.S. would think about your behavior. I think if you were to move to Pakistan you would start to truly appreciate how lucky you are to be living in the westernized world. If you were to do something like you did in class in Pakistan, for example, you would have a lot more to worry about than the political stature (or whatever it is you don't like) of America.

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Lemegeton

she is a bigot and should be fired. the country she loves so much gives you the freedom to do what you want without being persecuted.
its like that episode of futurama where zoidberg burns the american flag and his lawyer says he hates zoidberg for doing it but he will defend his right to do it with every ounce of his strength.

but a bitch like this teacher would probably never see the irony in that.

Report her.

Falx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Falx
@Evilsbane: I dont know any schools outside of America that do that sort of thing. However, they probably do that sort of thong in some more nationalistic countries like Iran, China or North Korea, they sure dont do it here (Britain) and i personally wouldnt be willing to pledge anything to any country. Don't you have the freedom to dissent?
salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By salad10203

Yea shes an idiot, but one day you will be older and have a bad day and probably be an idiot as well.  Just let it slide, good Karma.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#92  Edited By Cincaid

Why can't we all just get along? :'(

Avatar image for redeyesbluebunny
RedEyesBlueBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#93  Edited By RedEyesBlueBunny

i think if you're gonna differ from everyone else in such a way, while there is no problem with it in my opinion, you should expect something like that to happen once in a while. it also sounds like you handled it really well as you weren't really offended by the teacher, so i don't see a problem here

HolyHackZack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By HolyHackZack

The whole "just show respect and do it" argument is driving me crazy. The point of the pledge isn't a show of respect like standing during the national anthem, it is a damn PLEDGE of ALLEGIANCE to a GOVERNMENT and its POLICIES. Personally I refuse to pledge allegiance to any groups of people, especially a group with the pack mentality and military that the United States has.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Turambar
@Farmer said:
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
We have always been at war with Eastasia
Always beware the giant sewer rats with their massive yellow teeth.
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Gizmo

Damn Pacifist hippie! 

Danbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Danbo

Only in america....

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Milkman

The teacher is an idiot. I know plenty of high school kids who don't stand up for the pledge, not even because they hate America just because they're too lazy to stand up. But, dude, just stand up for the pledge. I understand that it's your right but just do it to shut people up. 

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By awe_stuck

Its kinda expected I mean teachers are paid shit in the States.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Turambar
@beej said:
@Scapegoat: There's a difference between being patriotic, and calling someone else a dick for not being so. I'm asking why it is that you think the OP's a dick for not placing any national pride he might have upon a flag. Especially when the pledge contains material he might find objectionable (under god?).
The act of standing and the act of pledging are two different things.  The former shows respect for your fellow classmates.  The latter shows respect for the flag.  The OP is not a dick for not pledging.  He is a dick because the rest of what he did and how he acted are those of someone trying to gain attention by being a dick.