• 87 results
#1 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Is he? I don't live in America, but from what I've seen/read people are loosing money, jobs and even homes, and this guy comes out and says shit like this? So, what's up? Is he right? Is he wrong? I wanna know what the community thinks.
#2 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8605 posts) -

Who is he and why should I (begin to) care?

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Can somebody sum up his major points in text form? I'm not the type of person who can listen to videos like these in the background of other stuff.

#4 Posted by SexualBubblegumX (542 posts) -

Yep, he's for real. A lot of people really don't understand The Occupy movement.

#5 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1213 posts) -

I can't say that's right about OWS even though I don't support it. He is however right about there being a new generation of self entitled twats that expect things to be given to them on a silver platter

#6 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong:  Didn't ask you to care about him, just your opinion on what he says. Anyway he's a "radio personality" he also voiced death on Family Guy, which makes me hate him a little less.
@Video_Game_King: Basically he talks shit about the Occupy movement, calling everyone involved "ass-douches" is the term he used, i think. He goes on to say how all these people are self-entitled pricks.
#7 Posted by nesagwa (62 posts) -

@TheVeteran13 said:

I can't say that's right about OWS even though I don't support it. He is however right about there being a new generation of self entitled twats that expect things to be given to them on a silver platter

No, he isn't right.

We expect the same rights and privileges that allowed our parents and grandparents the ability to work, support a family and retire without living in abject poverty. Expecting a quality of life promised you isn't "self entitled". We were raised to expect these benefits and have had them whittled away to almost nothing in the last 25 years. That is what OWS is protesting, corporate interests destroying our quality of life and government efficacy in this county. The destruction of unions and collective bargaining, the repeal of the Glass-Steagall act, Citizens United, etc.

Or we can sit around and jack ourselves off about how great and hardworking we were "back in my day" and how lazy all these under 30s are.

#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming:

OK, then, yea, fuck him. You can't just slap swears together and expect them to work. There's a reason why nobody says "twatshit", damn it. Also, yea, it sucks how he's calling them self-entitled when they have legitimate problems to voice.

#9 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8605 posts) -
@TheDudeOfGaming: Just checking why I should or should not care!
The reply you gave Videogameking was kinda the info I was looking for.

That said, can I shoot him?
#10 Posted by dudeglove (8254 posts) -

@nesagwa said:

We expect the same rights.

It's not a "right" if someone else has to pay for it.

#12 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
@TheDudeOfGaming: Just checking why I should or should not care! The reply you gave Videogameking was kinda the info I was looking for.  That said, can I shoot him?
No, but i have to say that he's the kind of person that made me change my views from pro-life to pro-choice. Also shooting is way to easy. Blunt objects are more brutal ^^
#13 Posted by DougQuaid (1275 posts) -

Adam Carolla - wildly out of touch with this country's problems.

His biggest problem in the world is that he didn't become the big celebrity he thinks he should be.

#14 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

@nesagwa said:

@TheVeteran13 said:

No, he isn't right.

We expect the same rights and privileges that allowed our parents and grandparents the ability to work, support a family and retire without living in abject poverty. Expecting a quality of life promised you isn't "self entitled". We were raised to expect these benefits and have had them whittled away to almost nothing in the last 25 years. That is what OWS is protesting, corporate interests destroying our quality of life and government efficacy in this county. The destruction of unions and collective bargaining, the repeal of the Glass-Steagall act, Citizens United, etc.

Or we can sit around and jack ourselves off about how great and hardworking we were "back in my day" and how lazy all these under 30s are.

This is the best response to the 'entitlement' crap I've heard yet. Thank you sir.

I may end up borrowing it later somewhere, I'll try to give you proper credit.

#15 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@TheDudeOfGaming:

OK, then, yea, fuck him. You can't just slap swears together and expect them to work. There's a reason why nobody says "twatshit", damn it. Also, yea, it sucks how he's calling them self-entitled when they have legitimate problems to voice.

Au contraire, "twatshit" is a great compound swear. I encourage everyone to be more creative when you're being mean to people.

#16 Posted by Daneian (1251 posts) -

@nesagwa said:

Expecting a quality of life promised you isn't "self entitled". We were raised to expect these benefits and have had them whittled away to almost nothing in the last 25 years.

Nothing has been promised to anyone except the opportunity to create the best life you can. It's up to the individual to go out and make a future for themselves.

#17 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Adam Carolla is an idiot

#18 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Ravenlight:

That was an accident; I doubt that people will still use the brutish word that is "ass-douche". Why not the more succinct "butt-plug"?

#19 Posted by ShaggE (6692 posts) -

On Adam Corolla: He was mildly funny in The Man Show, and gratingly annoying in everything else. He is a non-entity to me. (although his "Death" was okay)

On "ass-douche": It's no "cockwhistle".

#20 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

It's funny he uses an MVP trophy as an example. In Major League Baseball, the National League MVP got busted for cheating with synthetic steroids in his system.

#21 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8605 posts) -
@TheDudeOfGaming said:
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
@TheDudeOfGaming: Just checking why I should or should not care! The reply you gave Videogameking was kinda the info I was looking for.  That said, can I shoot him?
No, but i have to say that he's the kind of person that made me change my views from pro-life to pro-choice. Also shooting is way to easy. Blunt objects are more brutal ^^
I like the way you think!
#22 Edited by TheHBK (5561 posts) -

@MormonWarrior: Hahaha, yeah, Glenn Beck is a crack addict and a real bitch. I love how he is trying so hard to make it seem like he is not anti-semitic, but we all remember his hateful rants against George Soros and his "jewish money" the irony is that he puts Soros on that list! And then he wants to fight against more taxes on the rich but tells those who make minimum wage to keep their complaints down.

What people are pissed at is how this companies have been bailed out with government money. Real capitalism is not the problem. The problem is that capitalism is not being allowed to happen. You have to let the companies that cannot survive fall. GM, Chrysler, the mortgage companies. Bigger, better companies will rise out of those ashes. Govt should only be there to be a trust buster to allow competition and real capitalism to thrive. And I would be pissed if govt money was going to pay 20 million dollars in annual salary to a CEO that was in charge when the company failed.

#23 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

As a broke ass man having a hard time finding a job and providing for my family, I agree with what this man is saying.

#24 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1213 posts) -
@nesagwa said:

@TheVeteran13 said:

No, he isn't right.

OWS could have fooled me, I thought it was about drum circles and interrupting people who are trying to make a living. 
#25 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

Adam Carolla grew up dirt poor and worked hard and made something of himself. He's not just some clueless rich dude talking shit about poor people. If you don't think that a lot of America's youth are exactly like he is describing then you have not been paying attention.

Look at some of the different stated goals of people at Occupy Wall Street and you will find that they are morons who do just want shit given to them, but that is not the entirety of the movement which is where Carolla misses it. There is a part of the movement that actually understands what Wall Street, the large banks, and the Federal Reserve have done to wreck the country, but their numbers are all mixed with others who just want to blame people with more money for all of their problems.

Just whining about the "%1" while doing nothing to improve your own situation will get you nowhere.

#26 Edited by phish09 (1110 posts) -

@nesagwa: Yeah...but your grandparents were probably great and hardworking. My Grandpa fucking fought the Nazi's and still managed to be a self-made man with a comfortable retirement because he WORKED for it, not because someone "promised" it to him...whatever the hell that means. It's the whole notion of "we were promised this or that by our parents generation" that leads to people calling these OWScumbags "entitled". These people aren't working hard to make sure they have a comfortable retirement and can contribute to society. They are complaining that other people that are trying hard to contribute are getting more out of this system than they are. Sure, there is the odd corrupt asshole on wallstreet who makes it worse for the rest of us, but most of those people are showing up and working hours you or I would never dream of working to afford the kind of lifestyle they live.

You ever hear the saying "the grass is always greener on the other side?" Well that is what the entire OWS movement is based on, and it's petty and childish imho.

BTW...Adam Corolla sucks. Norm was a way better "Death"

#27 Posted by pizzapotomus (46 posts) -

@nesagwa said:

@TheVeteran13 said:

No, he isn't right.

Wait, so you literally say you expect stuff because it was promised to you without doing anything but existing and then go on to say that isn't "self entitled". Or were you just being ironic. Everything in life you have that wasn't given to you by your parents is stuff you earned. Your "trophy" as Carolla put it. If you have no trophies in life it is indeed your fault for not earning them so there is really no reason to throw a brick at someone else's car out of envy just buy your own with a work ethic.

Now there are "trust fund babies" and people like that. They have stuff handed to them and true they didn't earn it, but what is the solution to that? Confiscate all property immediately upon death? Well then who gets it someone else that didn't earn it? Why are they any more entitled to it that the person's child?

Don't get me wrong I see the corruption in the government. People in places of power getting their pockets lined for special favors and such and that does need to be done away with. Bailouts, bullshit. They set up a system so that if the banks went under everyone is fucked, but it may have been better to get fucked really hard now then then just fucked politely over and over, but that is what we sent to Washington. People that promised us stuff for free, but nothing is free and nothing should be expected.

#28 Posted by Turambar (6888 posts) -

@TheVeteran13 said:

@nesagwa said:

@TheVeteran13 said:

No, he isn't right.

OWS could have fooled me, I thought it was about drum circles and interrupting people who are trying to make a living.

Let me make a correction to the last sentence of his post. A large portion of the Occupy protests are not under 30s, but rather 30, 40, and 50 year olds that had jobs, lost them, and cannot find another one that can pay the bills. You're free to still dismiss them all as college drop outs banging drums if it suits your world view though.

#29 Posted by Mageman (349 posts) -

I'd just like to say that in general people like to work, they like to feel secure, they like to have stability in their lives. So if they are protesting and not working, it usually means that they fucking can't get a job.

#30 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

People need to just stop taking Liberal Arts and English studies in university and expect to get a job afterwards.

You know what's in demand? The trades! People need to take up trades, but they're too self-important about it, or their parents think of it as too low and pressure them into higher education.

#31 Posted by Mageman (349 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

People need to just stop taking Liberal Arts and English studies in university and expect to get a job afterwards.

You know what's in demand? The trades! People need to take up trades, but they're too self-important about it, or their parents think of it as too low and pressure them into higher education.

How much is an electrician paid in the states ?

@Claude said:

It's funny he uses an MVP trophy as an example. In Major League Baseball, the National League MVP got busted for cheating with synthetic steroids in his system.

Steroids are mandatory for all athletes nowadays, every single top athlete is on steroids or some similar substance.

#32 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

Hey, this is what I plan on doing! My grandpa said, "learn a trade you pussy" and I said, "that sounds like a swell idea!"

#33 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

Facepalm enduring thread for innumerable reasons.

#34 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming: He was on a nationally aired radio show where he said pro-choicey things pretty much nightly, but OK.

#35 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

@Mageman said:

@Claude said:

Steroids are mandatory for all athletes nowadays, every single top athlete is on steroids or some similar substance.

Really? Really?

#36 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

@MikkaQ: I've worked in the trades, they suck. Don't know why anyone would learn a trade when they have the ability to pursue higher education and at least have the potential to make way more money doing 100x less work.

#37 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Axxol said:

@Mageman said:

@Claude said:

Really? Really?

I'm guessing that was a joke Axxol. No one can really believe that.
#38 Edited by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

@Mageman: More than you'd think. Trades people can charge metric shitloads of money for their services because no one knows how to do anything anymore, and have no idea how easy some home repairs can be.

As I child I never realized how much money tradespeople were making until one time when I was like 12, a painter came in to evaluate our house, since he wasn't painting he could wear his normal street clothes and they were all from really expensive european brands. That's kinda when I realized that just people someone uses a shitty truck and rough work clothes for their job doesn't mean they're making less money than most office-slaves.

@PeasantAbuse said:

@MikkaQ said:

Hey, this is what I plan on doing! My grandpa said, "learn a trade you pussy" and I said, "that sounds like a swell idea!"

I want to get into film and video editing, and apparently it's considered a trade, though I've always thought I was getting into an art. I guess it's a mix of the two. Though against my own better judgement I'm going to a university to study it, which means I'll only learn it in like two years after studying a bunch of irrelevant material in other stupid courses like theater, and science. Oh well, at least it's kinda fun.

#39 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@artgarcrunkle said:

@MikkaQ: I've worked in the trades, they suck. Don't know why anyone would learn a trade when they have the ability to pursue higher education and at least have the potential to make way more money doing 100x less work.

Because everyone who goes to college totally lands an awesome job.

#40 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse: Potential : existing in possibility : capable of development into actuality <potential benefits>

#41 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

@artgarcrunkle said:

Hard work isn't necessarily a bad thing when the pay is good enough. Graduating with a skill or trade will give you a much better chance at getting employment off the bat than graduating with a degree in history, or english.

The only really well paying jobs people tend to get from a university education is work as doctors and lawyers. Possibly business majors, but they're not going to just start out as a CEO unless they take a massive personal risk and start a company.

No tradesman is gonna make 300k a year, but neither is 99% of people who go to any university. To some people job security and stable, decent pay is plenty good enough to them.

#42 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

Adam's funny.

#43 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@artgarcrunkle said:

@PeasantAbuse: Potential : existing in possibility : capable of development into actuality <potential benefits>

thanks

#44 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@phish09 said:

@nesagwa: Yeah...but your grandparents were probably great and hardworking. My Grandpa fucking fought the Nazi's and still managed to be a self-made man with a comfortable retirement because he WORKED for it, not because someone "promised" it to him...whatever the hell that means. It's the whole notion of "we were promised this or that by our parents generation" that leads to people calling these OWScumbags "entitled". These people aren't working hard to make sure they have a comfortable retirement and can contribute to society. They are complaining that other people that are trying hard to contribute are getting more out of this system than they are. Sure, there is the odd corrupt asshole on wallstreet who makes it worse for the rest of us, but most of those people are showing up and working hours you or I would never dream of working to afford the kind of lifestyle they live.

You ever hear the saying "the grass is always greener on the other side?" Well that is what the entire OWS movement is based on, and it's petty and childish imho.

BTW...Adam Corolla sucks. Norm was a way better "Death"

They are complaining because a microsoft can send there money half way across the world and pay a %7.0 tax while the average tax rate on a person is %40. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/28/microsoft-tax-havens-profit-bill_n_911779.html

#45 Edited by Max_Hydrogen (818 posts) -

@TheHBK said:

What people are pissed at is how this companies have been bailed out with government money. Real capitalism is not the problem. The problem is that capitalism is not being allowed to happen. You have to let the companies that cannot survive fall. GM, Chrysler, the mortgage companies. Bigger, better companies will rise out of those ashes. Govt should only be there to be a trust buster to allow competition and real capitalism to thrive. And I would be pissed if govt money was going to pay 20 million dollars in annual salary to a CEO that was in charge when the company failed.

A resounding BINGO! to you Sir.

#46 Posted by MikeinSC (910 posts) -

@nesagwa said:

@TheVeteran13 said:

No, he isn't right.

No, they are self-obsessed pricks who want me to bail them out for their loans in whatever useless major they participated in. There is no promised quality of life --- there was never a promised quality of life. Being told that going into debt to your eyeballs to pursue that degree in Philosophy may have been a lie told to you by your COLLEGE --- but it sure as hell isn't the fault of Wall Street. It's not corporate interests destroying this country, it is our government. Unions have priced themselves out of existence, which is a plus, and the Citizens United decision was a huge win for the First Amendment.

And the OWS crowd is lazy. Insanely lazy. And, to be honest, the people who talk to the media in the group are idiots. They may have degrees, but they don't have the intellectual capacity to do much of anything.

#47 Posted by Dalai (7069 posts) -

I don't find Adam Corolla funny in anything he's done, but the dude is right.

@Ravenlight said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@TheDudeOfGaming:

Au contraire, "twatshit" is a great compound swear. I encourage everyone to be more creative when you're being mean to people.

Dicktits.

#48 Posted by Rudyftw (554 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Is he? I don't live in America, but from what I've seen/read people are loosing money, jobs and even homes, and this guy comes out and says shit like this? So, what's up? Is he right? Is he wrong? I wanna know what the community thinks.

losing*

#49 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3923 posts) -

Honestly I think the guy makes some good points. Those people absolutely exist. I don't think labeling the entire Occupy movement as those people is right, don't agree with that at all but the people he's talking about deserve some derision.

#50 Posted by MikeinSC (910 posts) -

Hahaha, yeah, Glenn Beck is a crack addict and a real bitch. I love how he is trying so hard to make it seem like he is not anti-semitic, but we all remember his hateful rants against George Soros and his "jewish money" the irony is that he puts Soros on that list! And then he wants to fight against more taxes on the rich but tells those who make minimum wage to keep their complaints down.

So he's as anti-Semitic as...OWS.

Let me make a correction to the last sentence of his post. A large portion of the Occupy protests are not under 30s, but rather 30, 40, and 50 year olds that had jobs, lost them, and cannot find another one that can pay the bills. You're free to still dismiss them all as college drop outs banging drums if it suits your world view though.

That's when you have to go to a different line of work and find a new career. Sure it sucks --- but if you do that rather than stay unemployed for years, you tend to do better.

I've worked in the trades, they suck. Don't know why anyone would learn a trade when they have the ability to pursue higher education and at least have the potential to make way more money doing 100x less work.

But don't dare refer to the OWS crowd as self-entitled. If somebody wishes to take a risk, they are free to do so. When it comes out poorly, then the failure is solely on the gambler --- not "the system".