• 129 results
#1 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I was just driving home from work and I noticed a lot of traffic in a place where there is usually no traffic, I assumed it was an accident, but as I got closer I noticed signs saying to donate money to save some bar or something, so I assumed people were just stopping to give them money, but I had no plans to as I know this place as a disgusting place I have no interest in(I guess there's a reason it needs donations.) But as I got closer and planned to just drive by... NOPE! the reason for the traffic jam was they were actually blocking traffic with a sign that said "Road Toll" and not letting anybody pass unless you paid them. Now I didn't want to start anything so I just gave them 50 cents.. but is this shit legal? It was like I was dealing with modern day highwaymen. I assume this is illegal.

#2 Posted by FreakAche (2953 posts) -

Now I'm no lawyer, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say, "no".

#3 Edited by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

No, that is absolutely not legal. You should've said something.

#4 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

Yes this is Illegal.

#5 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10997 posts) -

You probably should have called the cops on those fools.

#6 Posted by PenguinDust (12512 posts) -

Not likely, but if it was a strip bar, I would have stuffed a dollar in their g-string.

#7 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

You probably should have called the cops on those fools.

You should probably still call them.

#8 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Fuckin' highwaymen.

#9 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3051 posts) -

Yes, that sounds illegal. Fuck those guys.

#10 Posted by Brendan (7804 posts) -

For a moment I thought that one of those foreign spam bots had taken over a well known GB account in their never ending quest to sell us female clothing.

#11 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Call them. This is just some dumb bullcrap.

#12 Posted by coaxmetal (1619 posts) -

Yeah, that's extortion, which is a felony. They could/probably will get seriously fucked for doing that.

#13 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

This is why I'm grateful for the second amendment.

#14 Posted by coaxmetal (1619 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

yeaaahhh that would be the wrong way to handle this on all counts

#15 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3149 posts) -

NOPE.

#16 Edited by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

@Riboflavin said:

@Subjugation said:

This is why I'm grateful for cellphones?

Edit: And yeah, this pretty much amounts to extortion.

#17 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

...oh god

#18 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

@Riboflavin said:

@Subjugation said:

Yah, this is just some people who had a very bad idea about how to raise some money, not some one who is trying to jack your car and rape you.

#19 Edited by yoshisaur (2722 posts) -

They are committing two crimes.

1. Causing traffic build-up. Unless of an emergency or "accident," creating any form of traffic build-up is a federal offence.
  2. Extortion. Yes, it may be "cute" to the people that go to this sort of hang-out, but to the general public, it is an intimidation technique and I'm sure they know that. You only felt the need to fork over 50 cents because of your knowledge of the area and the fact that you didn't want to "start" anything. That, my friends, is forcing an individual to a system.
#20 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

Its illegal for several reasons,

• Extortion
  • Blocking a public road ( illegal in most places )
  • For profit business can not ask for donations in most areas.
#21 Posted by Garfield518 (404 posts) -

@CL60 said:

I was just driving home from work and I noticed a lot of traffic in a place where there is usually no traffic, I assumed it was an accident, but as I got closer I noticed signs saying to donate money to save some bar or something, so I assumed people were just stopping to give them money, but I had no plans to as I know this place as a disgusting place I have no interest in(I guess there's a reason it needs donations.) But as I got closer and planned to just drive by... NOPE! the reason for the traffic jam was they were actually blocking traffic with a sign that said "Road Toll" and not letting anybody pass unless you paid them. Now I didn't want to start anything so I just gave them 50 cents.. but is this shit legal? It was like I was dealing with modern day highwaymen. I assume this is illegal.

You live in Nova Scotia, right? I live in the Valley, and this is the first I'm hearing of it.

You should probably contact your RCMP office.

#22 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Garfield518 said:

@CL60 said:

You live in Nova Scotia, right? I live in the Valley, and this is the first I'm hearing of it.

You should probably contact your RCMP office.

Yeah, I'm in Nova Scotia. I'm sure somebody else will call the cops. There were a lot of angry looking people there.

#23 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

@Dagbiker: Just calling this a "bad idea" is underselling it. If someone blocks my path and tells me I'm not getting through unless I pay I consider that a conflict.

#24 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

That's fucked up.

#25 Posted by Irvandus (2878 posts) -

@CL60: Don't worry Big Bo is already on the case.

#26 Posted by Ramone (2965 posts) -

You should have ran the motherfucker with the sign over

#27 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

If that legal than so is getting out of your car and beating the living shit out of the guy who says that you can’t pass.

#28 Posted by Toxeia (729 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

I COMPLETELY REFUSE TO SENSE YOUR SARCASM.

#29 Posted by WilliamHenry (1203 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

@Dagbiker: Just calling this a "bad idea" is underselling it. If someone blocks my path and tells me I'm not getting through unless I pay I consider that a conflict.

Yea, because this situation totally calls for you pulling out a gun.

#30 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -

What the?! That's crazeeeh! What if an ambulance needed to get through?! I hope someone does call the cops on them and everyone doesn't just rely on someone else to do it.

#31 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

@Toxeia said:

@Subjugation said:

I COMPLETELY REFUSE TO SENSE YOUR SARCASM.

You, sir ... you get the gold star for today. Your brain is in working order.

#32 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -
#33 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

@WilliamHenry said:

@Subjugation said:

You're pretty good at conjecture.

#34 Posted by kumquat (128 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@Riboflavin said:

@Subjugation said:

Yah, this is just some people who had a very bad idea about how to raise some money, not some one who is trying to jack your car and rape you.

To be fair, they never said that they weren't going to rape him.

#35 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

Oh god they're bandits! Get out of Nova Scotia. The police can't help you now that society has crumbled (in Nova Scotia).

#36 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

I believe that this is one of those rare moments where it is civilly acceptable to straight up smack a bitch. If you know what I am saying.

#37 Edited by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

@WilliamHenry said:

@Subjugation said:

You're pretty good at conjecture.

Well stop bullshitting, and explain exactly what you meant by your statement. Why exactly are you relieved that you have your second amendment rights in that situation?

I'm waiting.

edit: Oh, you're just being sarcastic? Fantastic. Really added a lot to the discussion, good job.

#38 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -

hahaha

#39 Posted by Otzlowe (337 posts) -

@CL60: I don't want to step on your toes, but you should call. It might seem reasonable that so many other people would certainly call, but they might be thinking the same thing as you. That's one of the primary reasons why crime goes un-reported. It's important to be pro-active about this stuff.

#40 Edited by MetalBaofu (1381 posts) -

@CL60: I most likely would have told them that I don't carry cash with me, then reported them once away. I have no problem with someone asking for donations and what not, but blocking traffic and forcing it is another thing, and as others have said, illegal. I'll never see the place in question, but I'm gonna go ahead and assume that your opinion of it being "disgusting" is accurate.

#41 Posted by Xeiphyer (5604 posts) -

Public road, highway tolls have been illegal since roads were invented. Unless done by the government.

#42 Posted by TheHT (11238 posts) -

@CL60 said:

Yeah, I'm in Nova Scotia. I'm sure somebody else will call the cops. There were a lot of angry looking people there.

That's what everybody else will say too. Just call.

#43 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@MetalBaofu said:

@CL60: I most likely would have told them that I don't carry cash with me, then reported them once away. I have no problem with someone asking for donations and what not, but blocking traffic and forcing it is another thing, and as others have said, illegal. I'll never see the place in question, but I'm gonna go ahead and assume that your opinion of it being "disgusting" is accurate.

Yes, disgusting is accurate. It's a bar that even has started to put ads up in the newspaper saying they're hiring "private dancers" and that anybody is welcome.

#44 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

@Meowshi: Initially it was a joke, but not entirely. I'd rather have a gun and not need it than need it and not have it. It's called a deterrent. What, do you think you can just give them a smile and hug to pay their toll? What are you going to do if they aren't peaceful? The world isn't all rainbows and butterflies unfortunately.

I'm waiting.

#45 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Did anyone say "Stand and deliver" to you?

#46 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Very Illegal.

What do you mean by "they wouldn't let anyone pass"?

A car is bigger than a person, and they'd move the fuck out of the way if you started forward surely...

#47 Posted by NegativeCero (3001 posts) -

This is genius. Are they sticking to one busy road or are they spreading the annoyance around?

#48 Posted by Jay_Ray (1098 posts) -

@Canteu said:

Very Illegal.

What do you mean by "they wouldn't let anyone pass"?

A car is bigger than a person, and they'd move the fuck out of the way if you started forward surely...

Or they know that if you run them over in any way you are royally f***** and will be charged with vehicular assault.

#49 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I know its not proper and would only have given more trouble but I'd be driving straight through their make shift roadblock and/or toll taker.

If they're playing highway bandit, I'm playing RPG hero who has no time for them.

#50 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong: Four wheels and several thousand pounds of Fus Ro Dah?