Is this normal for Iphone 5 battery?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

Ok, so I noticed my new iphone 5s battery is a little, meh. atleast compared to my old iphone 4, it seems to to be draining noticeably faster. I did the basics like turn off blutooth, turn off LTE, lower brightness, turn auto lock to 2 min., turn off location services, and etc. but still the battery is draining a fair bit faster, even in standby. I dont know if this is normal for this phone or if I got a lemon. please help. I even tried rebooting it by holding bown the home and power button. Im tempted to do a total restore with no back up, as I heard sometimes backups can be corrupted, but thats the absolute last ditch effort.

please help.

Opus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Opus

It's a creeping issue that batteries aren't advancing as quickly as the technology in the phones, every year we have less battery power to work with as processors demand more.

It's difficult to tell if your phone is off or in the norm without some numbers to look at. Perhaps you have too many applications running in the background? They can eat away at the battery quickly. Double-tap the "home" button and close the all of the apps that appear on the list that opens up at the bottom of the screen.

If all else fails bring it to an Apple store, if there's actually an issue they'll just take it and hand you a brand new one.

JoeBigfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By JoeBigfoot

According to apple's own technical specs. battery time should be roughly identical (if not slightly better):

For the 4S:

• Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
  • Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter
  • Talk time: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 14 hours on 2G (GSM)
  • Standby time: Up to 200 hours
  • Internet use: Up to 6 hours on 3G, up to 9 hours on Wi-Fi
  • Video playback: Up to 10 hours
  • Audio playback: Up to 40 hours

for the 5:

• Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
  • Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter
  • Talk time: Up to 8 hours on 3G
  • Standby time: Up to 225 hours
  • Internet use: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 8 hours on LTE, up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi
  • Video playback: Up to 10 hours
  • Audio playback: Up to 40 hours

Unless your usage has significantly changed, battery life (according to Apple, I don't have an iPhone 5 so I cant comment), should be similar.

Edit: The "Up to" in all these numbers is a significant caveat to be weary of.

Phyrlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Phyrlord

I was in a phone store the other day and some guy was buying a new i5 and he was like "I'm going to love the longer battery life". All the employees let out a chuckle and promptly told him the battery life was shit compared to the 4's. He then got a sad look on his face but then continued to pay the 300+ for an early upgrade. GG apple.

BTW I have a 3gs and still love it haha.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By TheHBK

I have a 5 and I think the battery life is great. Make it through the day and end up with 60% before I go to sleep. Check what apps you are running and if you have ok'd push notifications. Location services also, make sure to designate only apps that you want to use that for. I just have Siri and Google Search and Maps. It could be a number of things.

I leave Bluetooth and Wifi on all the time also. I am more prone to just turn off apps completely instead of just letting them stay on in the background.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By killacam

no, i don't think that's normal. i had a 4s for a day or two before taking it back due to the battery (and the brick-like profile), and this 5 lasts noticeably longer than the 4s ever did.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Sooty

@Opus said:

It's a creeping issue that batteries aren't advancing as quickly as the technology in the phones, every year we have less battery power to work with as processors demand more.

My S3 easily lasts all day with heavy usage and that phone is a powerhouse. It's a fantastic device, of course the bigger screen means a larger battery can go in. Wouldn't go back to a 4" or smaller screen now though - too puny, especially as this phone is still very pocket friendly. (I'm not fat)

iPhones have never had particularly good battery life, my old 3GS was pretty poor.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Barrock

Turning off LTE kinda ruins the phone doesn't it?