• 80 results
Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) 3 months, 15 days ago

Poll: Is Woody Harrelson a good actor? (369 votes)

Yes! 82%
Good question. 18%
No. 3%

A girl I saw on OKC took a pic with Woody Harrelson. My girlfriend asked me who he was, or from where she might know him, and I said "He's Hamish from The Hunger Games, but he's a real actor, too." She looked through his filmography and determined, "Nah, it looks like he's willing to be in anything."

Settle the debate, yo. Is Woody a good actor? I've basically only seen him in Hunger Games, Seven Psychopaths, and Zombieland (not usually my kind of movies, but apparently I see the ones he's in, I dunno.) I've seen No Country For Old Men, but, honestly, it's left no impression on me.

#1 Posted by SecondPersonShooter (615 posts) -

Woody Harrelson is a great actor if a bit one note, but he's good at straddling the line between gentle southern charm and psychopathic rage.

#2 Posted by Cerberus3Dog (326 posts) -

He is excellent working with Matthew McConaughey in True Detective.

#3 Posted by planetfunksquad (401 posts) -

Just cos he's willing to be in a bunch of different types of films, doesn't mean he's a bad actor. I can't even comprehend where that mindset comes from. "He was in Cheers, he must be shit." Makes no sense to me.

#4 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10466 posts) -

Woody Harrelson transcends acting.

#5 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

Just cos he's willing to be in a bunch of different types of films, doesn't mean he's a bad actor. I can't even comprehend where that mindset comes from. "He was in Cheers, he must be shit." Makes no sense to me.

I think the idea was that he was willing to take any role, latter-day Christopher Walken style. Sure, he was in The Deer Hunter, but he spent most of his career doing movies around the quality of Balls of Fury.

#6 Posted by Marcsman (3113 posts) -

Good actor

#7 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10466 posts) -

Cheers.

#8 Edited by xyzygy (9891 posts) -

I think he's great. If an actor is in a bunch of different movies, that only gives them more experience to be versatile.

#9 Posted by DavidMerrick (59 posts) -

I'll second Cerberus3Dog and suggest True Detective. While Matthew McConaughey gives an Oscar-worthy performance from start to finish, Harrelson shines in the finale episode.

#10 Posted by Nightriff (4911 posts) -

No, he was terrible on Cheers

#11 Posted by Sterling (2067 posts) -

I like Harrelson. Mostly for his roles in the 90's. Natural Born Killers. White Men Can't Jump. Play it to the bone. Kingpin. Harrelson is fantastic in my book. I haven't seen something he was in I didn't like.

#12 Posted by AlexW00d (6182 posts) -

He was good in the one film I've seen him in.

#13 Edited by CaLe (3910 posts) -
#14 Posted by Shortbreadtom (687 posts) -

True Detective, Seven Psychopaths and Natural Born Killers are all the evidence you need to know that yes, Harrelson is a good actor.

#15 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4592 posts) -

@little_socrates said:

@planetfunksquad said:

I think the idea was that he was willing to take any role, latter-day Christopher Walken style. Sure, he was in The Deer Hunter, but he spent most of his career doing movies around the quality of Balls of Fury.

Because having fun in your job is the mark of a terrible actor, right?
I don't see how taking jobs you think will be fun means you must be shit at the job. If anything, I have a greater respect for accomplished actors who are willing to deflate their egos a bit and do something that's just stupid fun.

#16 Posted by Kidavenger (3508 posts) -

@little_socrates:

Walken has been in more great movies than bad ones, lately it's been mostly bad, but he's still one of the all time greats.

#17 Posted by obcdexter (576 posts) -

I don't know ... He wasn't bad in True Detective, but he definitely was hella Harrelson.

#18 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

I liked him a lot in the messenger which was a more serious role

#19 Posted by Veektarius (4585 posts) -

Zombieland hasn't come up here, and he makes that movie (not Emma Stone)

#20 Edited by Sterling (2067 posts) -

Are most of you under the age of 20? Walken is a bad actor? Harrelson is a bad actor? What will you say next. That Nic Cage is a bad actor.

#21 Edited by Broomhitches (172 posts) -

He's a good actor, and he was awesome in True Detective. And his performance in Seven Pounds was the only memorable thing about the film.

Edit: And I forgot Seven Psychopaths.

#22 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5329 posts) -

He's a good actor, and if you don't believe me Anton Chigurh will fuck you up; old friends you see.

#23 Edited by ViciousBearMauling (897 posts) -

Natural Born Killers and True Detective point to the side of "Pretty Great Fucking Actor"

#24 Edited by Jay_Ray (1070 posts) -

Good actor that some times does shitty movies to

#25 Edited by Rejizzle (258 posts) -

Harrelson is a really good actor. He's the highlight of a lot of the movies he's in.

#26 Posted by TheHT (10875 posts) -
#27 Posted by ShaggE (6325 posts) -

He's great. He absolutely kills in White Men Can't Jump, and NBK is mostly awesome because of his performance.

#28 Edited by joshwent (2112 posts) -

@sterling said:

Are most of you under the age of 20? Walken is a bad actor?

I suspect so. If not, they'd remember this:

In the right role, dude is amazing.

#29 Edited by Danteveli (1160 posts) -

Yes he is a really good actor.

#30 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

A lot of good actors have been in crap, but I really don't think Harrelson's filmography is bad. He's a good actor and he's been in some good films.

#31 Posted by cfilipec (30 posts) -

I would go even further and say he is underrated

#32 Posted by pyromagnestir (4240 posts) -

@sterling said:

Are most of you under the age of 20? Walken is a bad actor? Harrelson is a bad actor? What will you say next. That Nic Cage is a bad actor.

#33 Edited by VierasTalo (669 posts) -

He's pretty good. He has range but occasionally seems uninspired to utilize it. The way he portrays characters isn't always spot-on. He has made lots of bad roles as a result. But it's impossible to determine whether these misgivings are the result of his work with the character or that of someone else in the production.

I mean, dude was in Money Train.

#34 Posted by Sterling (2067 posts) -
#35 Posted by takayamasama (439 posts) -

Kingpin. All that needs be said

#36 Posted by MrFalcon (45 posts) -

He's a good actor and his dad was A FUCKING ASSASSIN.

#37 Edited by FLStyle (4567 posts) -

I've only seen Mr Harrelson in films also starring Jesse Eisenberg, namely Zombieland and Now You See Me.

He was pretty badass in those.

#38 Posted by Gruff182 (852 posts) -

Woody Harrelson could interest me in watching a film, I usually wouldn't.

#39 Edited by kcin (121 posts) -

You were on OKCupid, but you have a girlfriend? Not only that, but you then showed a girl you found on OKC to your girlfriend?

#40 Posted by RonGalaxy (2868 posts) -

Sure, but I think (for the most part) there's not much variety in how he plays his characters. There are some notable exceptions, like in Natural Born Killers, but you can pretty much tell what a Woody Harrelson character is going to be like when you see his name on the bill.

#41 Edited by leebmx (2215 posts) -

Go see Rampart. Great film and quality performance.

#42 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

She didn't know who woody harrelson was?

OH WOW

#43 Posted by xite (773 posts) -

I like Woody Harrelson, so yes.

#44 Posted by SomberOwl (637 posts) -

He is excellent working with Matthew McConaughey in True Detective.

This.

#45 Posted by wjb (1637 posts) -

I think any actor who is still in major Hollywood films and involved in a well-received HBO show 20 years after Cheers is doing something right. He comes and goes, but he's had a pretty great comeback for the past few years.

I mean, his cameo in This Is the End was great!

#46 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5219 posts) -

In my opinion, yes.

#47 Posted by TruthTellah (8523 posts) -

Yeah, he's a great actor. He does choose to be in a lot, but he has shown time and time again that he is good in many different roles.

His performance in True Detective, though, cemented with me that he is not just good, but great.

#48 Posted by bigjeffrey (4774 posts) -

He was great in True Detective, Zombie Land, No Country For Old Men

#49 Posted by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

He hasn't left much of an impression in general for me. Other than having a bit of an annoying shtick in comedies. I haven't really watched a lot of movies with him in it though.

Oddly enough, I liked No Country for Old Men, but I guess it didn't leave a lasting impression. I only really remember the coin flip scene and the silenced shotgun. Didn't even remember Harrelson was in it until it was mentioned in here.

#50 Posted by Stonyman65 (2591 posts) -

He's great. Even back in the Cheers days I thought he was really good.

Am I the only one that sometimes confuses him with Woody Allen? Even for this thread I had to look him up just to be sure we were talking about the right Woody. Fuck Woody Allen.