• 80 results
Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) 3 months, 22 days ago

Poll: Is Woody Harrelson a good actor? (369 votes)

Yes! 82%
Good question. 18%
No. 3%

A girl I saw on OKC took a pic with Woody Harrelson. My girlfriend asked me who he was, or from where she might know him, and I said "He's Hamish from The Hunger Games, but he's a real actor, too." She looked through his filmography and determined, "Nah, it looks like he's willing to be in anything."

Settle the debate, yo. Is Woody a good actor? I've basically only seen him in Hunger Games, Seven Psychopaths, and Zombieland (not usually my kind of movies, but apparently I see the ones he's in, I dunno.) I've seen No Country For Old Men, but, honestly, it's left no impression on me.

#51 Posted by jkz (4003 posts) -

Harrelson's good in good roles, great in great ones, and perfectly content to play shallow and uninteresting ones, in my opinion. So yeah, he's a good actor who doesn't take his job overly seriously.

And:

Fuck Woody Allen.

I'm going to walk away before I combust with the unrelenting rage of 15 dying stars

#52 Posted by gokaired (488 posts) -

Woody Rules, that is all.

#53 Posted by handlas (2661 posts) -

I don't know if he is particularly a good actor. But I would disagree about him not leaving an impression. That's what he is good at. He is entertaining. I haven't seen Rampart which I think is suppose to be sorta his big acting role if you know what I mean... where you say "Oh! He can act!"

He's really really good in A Scanner Darkly. Him and Robert Downy Jr. going off eachother is amazing.

#54 Posted by CornBREDX (4836 posts) -

Yes, he is. He doesn't always get great parts but he has several memorable ones.

#55 Edited by Sterling (2085 posts) -

I like that you said "He's Hamish from The Hunger Games, but he's a real actor, too." As if playing that part in that movie is not being a real actor.

Also if you have a girlfriend, why are you on OKC, and why is your girlfriend okay with this?

#56 Edited by Jazz_Bcaz (227 posts) -

He's a character actor. He tends to chase interesting side roles and your girlfriends impression that he's "willing to be in anything" is a result of that. When your career is that diverse, there are bound to be a few misfires, but I view his career with more envy than I do most actors. It's certainly and interesting one, and exploring your art form is surest way to mastery.

However, I can't really think of any really meaty or difficult characters he's played.

PS: Goddamn. Looking through his filmography, I need to start watching.

#57 Posted by KoolAid (848 posts) -

Before True Detective I would have said that Harrelson is just a fun guy to have in your movie.

But man, after True Detective... him and McConaughey are so goddamn amazing in it. They both prove themselves as excellent.

#58 Posted by stryker1121 (1352 posts) -

He's great in No Country For Old Men even in a bit role as a scumbag bounty hunter type. But True Detective is where he really shines. See it and see it now!

#59 Posted by crithon (3081 posts) -

If you liked him in True Detective you should check out Rampart.

#60 Posted by Roger778 (955 posts) -

Yes, he is. He's gotten really good over the years, playing different types of characters. Hunger Games, and Out of the Furnace couldn't be more different than they already are, and he's in both films.

#61 Posted by Pr1mus (3824 posts) -

Absolutely.

#62 Posted by Lysergica33 (518 posts) -

Of course Mickey Knox is a good actor!

#63 Edited by RandyF (137 posts) -

No one mentioned Larry Flynt yet? He was great in that.

#64 Posted by PSNgamesun (395 posts) -

Character actor, that is all.

#65 Posted by bybeach (4730 posts) -

I was just thinking of Dennis Hopper whom I first saw in Easy Rider, then later re-make his career in Deep Velvet. Harrelson kind of needs that movie now, though it strikes me he has been more consistently prolific.

THAT's who that one guy was in No Country for Old Men!!! Knew I recognized him! Kept thinking...I should know this actor. Didn't see the credits as I should of.

#66 Posted by Sinusoidal (1299 posts) -

I dunno. He seems good and I enjoy his performances, but regardless of who he's supposed to be playing, he's always Woody Harrelson.

I guess to me he's an enjoyable actor, though not necessarily a good one.

#67 Posted by ZolRoyce (633 posts) -

@sterling said:

Also if you have a girlfriend, why are you on OKC, and why is your girlfriend okay with this?

I'm betting threesomes!

Woody is a great actor, and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong and is bad and should feel bad and all their pets will die and they wont go to heaven.

#68 Posted by MrFalcon (45 posts) -

There is also a little-known movie The Big White with Robin Williams. Woody was quite good in it.

#69 Posted by Ares42 (2589 posts) -

I challenge you to find an IMDB profile that doesn't look like that.

#70 Posted by Veektarius (4636 posts) -

@handlas: Oh man, forgot he was in A Scanner Darkly. You're absolutely right, that was the best part of that film.

#71 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2578 posts) -

He's a good actor, but yeah he appears in only what he wants....and what he wants isn't always what you'd expect. He does what he wants and make plenty of money doing it.

#72 Posted by AgnosticJesus (542 posts) -

He was magnificent in his oscar worthy performance as Roy Munson in Kingpins.

#73 Edited by SingingMenstrual (327 posts) -

Why else would Seth Rogen cast him to be in Pineapple Express 2 when he pitched it to James Franco right before the apocalypse happened?

Woody is a terrific actor, I like his presence on screen.

#74 Edited by development (2097 posts) -

Can we please just talk about Rampart?

He's great.

#75 Posted by spraynardtatum (2625 posts) -

He was in EdTV.

#76 Posted by markies (61 posts) -

Zombieland!

#77 Edited by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

So we're just ignoring the part where the OP was either on OKC and got caught by his girlfriend or was on OKC with his girlfriend browsing pics of other women? AND we're going to ignore the part where his girlfriend judges an actor by their IMDB page? What is this site coming to, you guys almost make me think people around here can act like adults.

#78 Posted by TheAcidSkull (246 posts) -

True Detective.

That is all.

#79 Posted by Calmgamer (95 posts) -

He is quite good. I loved him in True Detective. Played a good charismatic psycho in Natural Born Killers. I remember my Dad watching Cheers - and (even as a little kid) finding his "Woody" character pretty dang funny. If you can effectively play drama and comedy- you're a good actor.

#80 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Yes. Now spank your girl. She's a bad girl.

#81 Posted by Damodar (1303 posts) -
#82 Posted by Gatehouse (581 posts) -

I've not seen True Detective yet, but how is this even a question? He's great in everything. Heck, he even made Defendor a watchable film!