• 112 results
Posted by AziMuttyo (82 posts) 1 year, 5 months ago

Poll: Is your native language english? (368 votes)

Yes 57%
No 43%
#101 Posted by MrCaptain (365 posts) -

No, Swedish!

Bork bork bork! Det är så vi låter.

#102 Edited by Scrawnto (2456 posts) -

Yep. I took seven goddamn years of Spanish (2nd through 8th grade), and practically all I remember is how to count to 39, how to ask if I can go to the bathroom, and six of the days of the week. I also took 3 years of Latin, and I remember about the same amount of that.

I'm currently trying to teach myself some Italian, but it's slow going. I know such useful phrases as "L'uomo mangia dei panini," and "Dove sono le banane?" ("The man eats sandwiches," and "Where are the bananas?" respectively.)

#103 Posted by Olu (95 posts) -

Нет

#104 Posted by forkboy (1166 posts) -

Aye. And to make it worse, English is my only language. I did German in High School but that was over a decade ago & I remember so little of it. Mein name ist Cameron und ich wohne in Nord Schottland. I probably missed an umlaut in there somewhere. Or spelt something wrong. Like I say, I stopped doing German 13 years ago.

I like the idea of learning a new language but I didn't really when I was in school. I think the way foreign languages are taught here in Scotland are a bit shite. Should probably be taught from a much younger age, when your brain is much more capable of absorbing these things. And really, we should be teaching Mandarin or Arabic more than German & French, maybe throw in some Latin to make learning other Romance languages easier. Honestly, the fact that English has found itself as the lingua franca of our times is a bit of a curse because it means we're useless at teaching kids foreign languages compared to our continental friends.

#105 Edited by AziMuttyo (82 posts) -

@scrawnto said:

Yep. I took seven goddamn years of Spanish (2nd through 8th grade), and practically all I remember is how to count to 39, how to ask if I can go to the bathroom, and six of the days of the week. I also took 3 years of Latin, and I remember about the same amount of that.

I'm currently trying to teach myself some Italian, but it's slow going. I know such useful phrases as "L'uomo mangia dei panini," and "Dove sono le banane?" ("The man eats sandwiches," and "Where are the bananas?" respectively.)

Speaking of learning languages, I'm learning mandarin and among the useful phrases I know is 今天晚上你忙吗 ( jīntiān wǎnshàng nǐ máng ma ) and 帮助狗 ( bang mang gou) which mean "Are you busy tonight?" and "Help, dog" (in case a dog attacks me).

Edit: Oh, and I took 9 years of French and one of the few phrases I remember is "Vous voulez coucher avec moi ce soir?", which means "Do you want to sleep with me tonight?"

#106 Posted by HarlechQuinn (450 posts) -

Nicht wirklich...

#107 Edited by Nivash (241 posts) -

@azimuttyo: One of the few phrases of French I have retained from my five years of school French (my teachers sucked, not my fault - they switched teachers every semester and every single one set out to upend what their predessors had taught us) is the phrase "une tasse du café, s'il vous plaît" which is what you say if you want to order a cup of coffee. Too bad I can never use it since the barista would ask me if I want sugar or cream and I wouldn't be able to respond :P

#108 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Jes

#109 Edited by KirkyX (125 posts) -

I spell 'centre' with the R before the E, unless I'm referring to something being in the middle of something else!

#110 Edited by SpeedyTortuga (3 posts) -

I learned English at around age 7, my first language being Spanish, though I don't speak English with a Spanish accent. My Spanish is getting kinda sloppy though.

#111 Posted by SmilingPig (1340 posts) -

Klingon, French and English in 3rd place for me.

#112 Edited by myketuna (1725 posts) -

Since everyone started talking about languages they learned, I did pretty damn well in French class back in high school. It was similar enough to Spanish that I understood much of it in writing and some of the pronunciation was easier since I tried to speak it like Spanish instead of English (everyone was basically saying French-sounding English words).

That said, the classes didn't go that deep into actual pronunciation and conversation, so I forgot most everything about actually talking to someone in French. I can still read it pretty well though.

My Spanish is getting kinda sloppy though.

Yeah, my Spanish is hardly used even though I live down here in Texas. Back in California, I would run into many more scenarios (family, shops, etc) where Spanish was used. Every time a family member from Mexico comes to visit, my Spanish starts out shitty (can't consistently roll r's, etc), but by the end, it all comes back. Then they go away and the cycle starts over again. My younger brother is even worse off, but I think it's because by the time he was born, everyone in the family spoke English pretty well.