• 58 results
MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MarkWahlberg

There's an NYT article today that says two people who'd lost control of their limbs were able to move around a robot arm. WITH THEIR MINDS.

and I quote:

Two people who are virtually paralyzed from the neck down have learned to manipulate a robotic arm with just their thoughts, using it to reach out and grab objects. One of them, a woman, was able to retrieve a bottle containing coffee and drink it from a straw — the first time she’d served herself since her stroke 15 years earlier, scientists reported on Wednesday...
...Each had a tiny sensor about the size of a baby aspirin injected just below the skull, in an area of the motor cortex known to be active when people move their arms or hands. They learned to move a robotic arm, mounted at shoulder height on a dolly next to them, by watching the researchers move the arm and imagining they were actually controlling it.

Ghost in the Shell? Now a possibility, rather than a hypothetical. Dr. Octopus? Now a Possibility. Robocop?! A FUCKING POSSIBILITY. Sure, they've done things kind of like this before with artificial limbs and stuff (the article mentions they've accomplished this exact thing before with monkeys) but this is still fucking cool.

The future is now, people. Just don't go cutting off your limbs just so you can get a robot arm... yet.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By BonOrbitz

I can't wait to get that robot wang.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Sackmanjones

I didn't ask for this

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By frankfartmouth

Jax wins. Flawless victory

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jay444111

One more step to IMMORTALLITY!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Now I have to go have a stroke so I can have robot arrrrrrms

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NathanStack

They've been doing this with apes for a while. Looks like it's our turn.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Undeadpool

Mortal Kombaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BraveToaster

Cable! 

Avatar image for endlessobsidian
EndlessObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EndlessObsidian
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King

@bonorbitz said:

Trust me, that shit's overrated. Not a lot of women want to feel like a steamy engine piston is slowly ramming them in the crotch.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258

Bah! My avatar had this in 1910!

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cloudenvy

@believer258 said:

FMA predicted the future, confirmed?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Justin258

@Cloudenvy said:

@believer258 said:

Yep. Now all we need is for some poor 12-year old to try and bring back his mom and presto! We have a 400 year old many-eyed thingy stealing everyone's souls and trying to absorb God. Or just a really old bitch trying to live forever by body-hopping, it all depends on which continuity occurs.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Marky Mark bringing in the hot scoops!

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jay444111

@believer258 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@believer258 said:

Yep. Now all we need is for some poor 12-year old to try and bring back his mom and presto! We have a 400 year old many-eyed thingy stealing everyone's souls and trying to absorb God. Or just a really old bitch trying to live forever by body-hopping, it all depends on which continuity occurs.

Lets hope for old chick body hopping since that doesn't require a damn countries sacrifice in order for it to happen. Even though the many-eyed thing WOULD be more awesome in reality. It would still be far more dangerous.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cloudenvy

@believer258 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@believer258 said:

There's only one right continuity. We both know that!

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MarkWahlberg

@Video_Game_King said:

@bonorbitz said:

Trust me, that shit's overrated. Not a lot of women want to feel like a steamy engine piston is slowly ramming them in the crotch.

But... it vibrates.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King

@MarkWahlberg:

So does a dildo.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Justin258

@Jay444111 said:

@believer258 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@believer258 said:

Lets hope for old chick body hopping since that doesn't require a damn countries sacrifice in order for it to happen. Even though the many-eyed thing WOULD be more awesome in reality. It would still be far more dangerous.

Remember that the original anime still winds up (permanently) killing an entire city and then some, partly the unintentional fault of the protagonist no less. I don't have a death count, though, and the story in Brotherhood never specifies how many people died with the wars to the surrounding countries going on, or even how active those wars were. For that matter, I'd bet that the kill counts across both series are probably pretty similar.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Justin258

@Cloudenvy said:

@believer258 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@believer258 said:

Yes. The one with the old bitch.

...what? I totally just said the opposite of what you were thinking. Well, probably. You might also be one of those rare few who liked the original better.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cloudenvy

@believer258 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@believer258 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@believer258 said:

...what? I totally just said the opposite of what you were thinking. Well, probably. You might also be one of those rare few who liked the original better.

Pfft, the original is the one with 400 year old man. Don't you dare say otherwise!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Justin258

@Cloudenvy said:

@believer258 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@believer258 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@believer258 said:

Pfft, the original is the one with 400 year old man. Don't you dare say otherwise!

Ah! The original does have a 400 year old man! A reformed body-hopper, yes, but still a 400 year old man.

EDIT: Is this thread now officially considered de-railed?

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cloudenvy

@believer258 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@believer258 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@believer258 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@believer258 said:

Ah! The original does have a 400 year old man! A reformed body-hopper, yes, but still a 400 year old man.

You bastard. You are at least 200 years too early to be challenging me.

No Caption Provided

EDIT: Yeah, we derailed it pretty badly.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By BonOrbitz

@MarkWahlberg said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@bonorbitz said:

But... it vibrates.

If that doesn't get her hot then the 500 psi and the sounds of hydraulics will, right? Bedroom? More like steel mill.

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By InternetCrab

Is there anyway to force a stroke? Come on body, get a stroke so I can have thought-controlling robot arms!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Ravenlight
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jay444111
scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By scarace360

So when can i be cable?

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Morrow

@MarkWahlberg said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@bonorbitz said:

But... it vibrates.

The vibration isn't very interesting in my opinion. I'd prefer a flexible dildo over a vibrator anytime.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Morrow

omg. Men like Adam Jensen will become reality. omg. omg omg. now pls ._.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By Getz

Mark Wahlberg saying "It has begun" truly is the best way to kick off an apocalypse.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Morrow

@believer258 said:

@Jay444111 said:

@believer258 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@believer258 said:

Remember that the original anime still winds up (permanently) killing an entire city and then some, partly the unintentional fault of the protagonist no less. I don't have a death count, though, and the story in Brotherhood never specifies how many people died with the wars to the surrounding countries going on, or even how active those wars were. For that matter, I'd bet that the kill counts across both series are probably pretty similar.

I haven't watched Brotherhood, but the anime-only storyline is one of my favourite shows... ah, nostalgia. FMA still remains one of the most impressive anime shows, period.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Morrow said:

@MarkWahlberg said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@bonorbitz said:

But... it vibrates.

The vibration isn't very interesting in my opinion. I'd prefer a flexible dildo over a vibrator anytime.

@Morrow said:

This series of posts would be confusing and unsettling if I didn't know you're a girl.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#35  Edited By mesoian

I will TOTALLY go full prosthetic.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Morrow said:

@believer258 said:

@Jay444111 said:

@believer258 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@believer258 said:

I haven't watched Brotherhood, but the anime-only storyline is one of my favourite shows... ah, nostalgia. FMA still remains one of the most impressive anime shows, period.

You should give Brotherhood a watch sometime. (I'm trying my best not to rave about how it's better!)

Original FMA is still pretty awesome though.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Morrow

@Video_Game_King said:

@Morrow said:

@MarkWahlberg said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@bonorbitz said:

But... it vibrates.

@Morrow said:

This series of posts would be confusing and unsettling if I didn't know you're a girl.

lol wouldn't they just guess that by reading my posts? :D

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Justin258

@Cloudenvy said:

@Morrow said:

@believer258 said:

@Jay444111 said:

@believer258 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@believer258 said:

You should give Brotherhood a watch sometime. (I'm trying my best not to rave about how it's better!)

To be completely serious, both shows have their strengths and weaknesses and a great number of differences. I can see why someone would like Brotherhood better, but I just enjoyed the darker cynicism of the original.

Also, watch Brotherhood ASAP. I bash it now and then, but it's fantastic, and it really shows in areas where the original wasn't quite up to par.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Morrow

@Cloudenvy said:

@Morrow said:

Yeah, there are lots of anime shows I should give a watch... I just somehow hate watching streamed anime, I prefer my anime in a nice DVD box to watch in good quality on my TV, so I (more or less) patiently wait for DVD releases...

StalkingTurnip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By StalkingTurnip

@familyphotoshoot said:

They've been doing this with apes for a while. Looks like it's our turn.

You are telling me we gave fucking monkeys robot arms before we gave them to people and we were not all killed by monkey cyborgs? I feel like mankind just dodged a monkey cyborg bullet.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Morrow said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@Morrow said:

Yeah, there are lots of anime shows I should give a watch... I just somehow hate watching streamed anime, I prefer my anime in a nice DVD box to watch in good quality on my TV, so I (more or less) patiently wait for DVD releases...

I wish I could wait. I'm far too up to date on everything anime to simply be able to wait.

(Still waiting for that Bakemonogatari release!)

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@believer258 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@Morrow said:

@believer258 said:

@Jay444111 said:

@believer258 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@believer258 said:

To be completely serious, both shows have their strengths and weaknesses and a great number of differences. I can see why someone would like Brotherhood better, but I just enjoyed the darker cynicism of the original.

Also, watch Brotherhood ASAP. I bash it now and then, but it's fantastic, and it really shows in areas where the original wasn't quite up to par.

I couldn't agree more. At first I had my doubts with Brotherhood, but I'm glad I didn't gave them too much thought. I would choose Brotherhood over the original on any day of the week.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Morrow:

Given your avatar, they'd probably think there's more to Human Revolution than there is on the surface.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MarkWahlberg

@believer258said:

It's gone from a discussion about the future of cyborgs, to a debate over the various merits of both an anime series and types of dildos. If that doesn't count as derailed (in the best way possible), I don't know what does.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Cloudenvy

@MarkWahlberg said:

@believer258said:

It's gone from a discussion about the future of cyborgs, to a debate over the various merits of both an anime series and types of dildos. If that doesn't count as derailed (in the best way possible), I don't know what does.

Congratulations, duder. You've made a very successful thread.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Morrow

@AlexanderSheen:

Hmmm ok, considering how much I loved FMA and was emotionally affected by it, I should probably give Brotherhood a chance :) Will do.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Morrow

@Cloudenvy: I'm the exact opposite. I have very little free-time and am far, faaaaar behind with, like, everything ._.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Justin258

@MarkWahlberg said:

@believer258said:

Here's to derailed threads!

No Caption Provided
Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#49  Edited By Slag

Hmmm I suppose that means mind reading devices aren't terribly far off for interrogations.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By intro

Amazing technology, awesome to see someone who can't use their arms be able to test out this tech.