• 53 results
#1 Edited by Silock (238 posts) -

Lately I have read a few news articles of people who have died from drinking too much water. The numbers they seem to be taking seem to differ quite drastically and I suppose it all depends on the individuals kidneys. I read about one person who died from drinking 2 gallons of water in a short space of time, and another person who died from just drinking 3 litres in 3 hours. I think its a bit silly that our bodies seem to react this way to such a healthy drink yet give us no warning that this is too much.

I drink alot of water aday as I am sure alot of other people do, I have never felt ill (though I couldn't give you an exact number of how many 500ml bottles I intake a day) nor have I ever had any problems other then just going toilet alot.

So my question is, how easy is it really to drink too much? I mean 3 litres in 3 hours doesn't seem like an awful lot (thats just 6 500ml bottles) but apparently it is and it causes your brain to swell and you eventually collapse and die. So what are your thoughts?

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I'm guessing you're not familiar with the concept of salt balance.

#3 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

I´m drinking right now :-O

#4 Posted by Bollard (5396 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Silock said:

6 litres in 3 hours doesn't seem like an awful lot (thats just 6 500ml bottles)

Or the concept of maths :P

I have no idea, but I find I feel sick if I drink a bunch of water fast, so that'd be a good signal as any to me to stop.

#5 Posted by JasonR86 (9650 posts) -

I've yet to die from drinking water so I would think it's really hard.

#6 Posted by Silock (238 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Silock said:

6 litres in 3 hours doesn't seem like an awful lot (thats just 6 500ml bottles)

Or the concept of maths :P

I have no idea, but I find I feel sick if I drink a bunch of water fast, so that'd be a good signal as any to me to stop.

mean't to say 3 litres.

#7 Posted by Vonocourt (2125 posts) -

@Silock said:

I mean 6 litres in 3 hours doesn't seem like an awful lot (thats just 6 500ml bottles) but apparently it is and it causes your brain to swell and you eventually collapse and die. So what are your thoughts?

Wouldn't that be twelve bottles? Also like Video Game King said, just eating some sodium should keep death away. Assuming this is all in reasonable measures.

#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Silock:

Why did you Twitter link our names?

#9 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Silock said:

So my question is, how easy is it really to drink too much? I mean 6 litres in 3 hours doesn't seem like an awful lot (thats just 6 500ml bottles) but apparently it is and it causes your brain to swell and you eventually collapse and die. So what are your thoughts?

Jebus, I don't even drink that much in 3 days.

Then again, I drink a loooooot of milk.

#10 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Your body does warn you. Sure, water is healthy, but taking too much of anything is bad for you. That's why there are recommended doses and consumption rates.

#11 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4963 posts) -

6 litres in 3 hours? Digusting. You would have to go to the toilet in literally every 5 minutes.

#12 Posted by jellotek (65 posts) -

@Silock: It really isn't unless you constantly stretch your stomach. Your body is built so it doesn't actively kill itself unless your brain decides otherwise, but have you ever eaten too much food before? You'll throw up. Same thing if you drink too much water.

#13 Posted by PenguinDust (12481 posts) -

Remember when that woman died from water intoxication while trying to win a Wii from a radio station? Story

#14 Edited by dagas (2791 posts) -

I drink a lot but I don't drink nearly enough to die from water. I drink about 3 liter bottles a day.

I googled and found a site that calculates how much you should drink based on different parameters and it said 3.3 liters so I'm fine.

#15 Posted by Spoonman671 (4588 posts) -

Fatty acids are also essential nutrients, you should see what happens when you down 2 gallons of fat.

Foods are not healthy/unhealthy or good/bad for you.  Diets are healthy/unhealthy, and drinking 3 liters of water in 3 hours would make for an unhealthy diet.

#16 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

@PenguinDust said:

Remember when that woman died from water intoxication while trying to win a Wii from a radio station? Story

Thats very sad.

#17 Posted by JackSukeru (5908 posts) -

@PenguinDust said:

First thing I thought of, though I had never actually seen the story before. Man, that is so sad!

#18 Posted by Zleunamme (654 posts) -

Drowning doesn't count? It's good to stay hydrated but there are limitations on much the body can take.

#19 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

these pretzels are making me thirsty!

#20 Posted by Dagbiker (6957 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

Your body does warn you. Sure, water is healthy, but taking too much of anything is bad for you. That's why there are recommended doses and consumption rates.

This, Your body usually dose warn you when your about to die. But some people ignore it, or cant interpret the signals correctly.

#21 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@PenguinDust said:

That's such a bummer.

#22 Posted by ShadowMountain (226 posts) -

Dude 6x 500ml bottles in 3 hrs is a lot of water in that timeframe! Especially if you're not working out/in a very hot climate

#23 Posted by ajamafalous (11938 posts) -
@Clonedzero said:

It's already too late!
#24 Posted by AjayRaz (12423 posts) -

@Clonedzero said:

#25 Posted by gamefreak9 (2356 posts) -

The body thing is BIG deal, I've probably drunk more than 4 litters in 3 hours. I don't really understand how its possible to overdrink, I mean if your thirsty, drink, if your not, don't.

#26 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

@gamefreak9 said:

I don't really understand how its possible to overdrink.

People making bets, water consumption contests, drugs (Ecstasy, for example, has resulted in people consuming a lot of water and dying), strenuous exercise without properly replenishing electrolytes (just drinking a ton of water)... I understand how that's possible

#27 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

WAIT, FOOD AND ALL DRINKS CONTAIN WATER RIGHT? WE ARE ALL DOOOOOOMED!

#28 Posted by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -

Maybe it was a brilliantly planned murders

#29 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

this guy is ok

#30 Edited by Godlyawesomeguy (6396 posts) -

@PenguinDust said:

Oh my god, I totally remember that. That is a local radio station that my family and I used to listen to on the way to school and I clearly remember them advertising that stupid contest and being fired almost immediately after the lady died. Truly a sad story because the new morning show team was awful.

#31 Posted by Malarkain (103 posts) -

@RenMcKormack: Oh Japan!

#32 Posted by Roger_Klotz (776 posts) -

Kinda weird to think that water can essentially be a poison, but in a large enough quantity it can definitely be fatal.

#33 Posted by JonathanAshleyMoore (282 posts) -

This is why I replaced my Water with Diet Coke. Genius right here.

#34 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -
@Cloudenvy

@Silock said:

So my question is, how easy is it really to drink too much? I mean 6 litres in 3 hours doesn't seem like an awful lot (thats just 6 500ml bottles) but apparently it is and it causes your brain to swell and you eventually collapse and die. So what are your thoughts?

Milk is fucking delicious!
#35 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Rappelsiini said:

@Cloudenvy

@Silock said:

Milk is fucking delicious!

Yeah it is! *high fives*

#36 Posted by SpaceRunaway (860 posts) -

Stop doing so much E, guys.

#37 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1355 posts) -

Lots of marathon runners die of water intoxication (far more than ever die of dehydration). Taking salt is the usual treatment but past a certain point it can be a bit touch and go. Your body certainly does warn you though, it's definitely unpleasant to drink so much water in such a short space of time - and you usually feel faint/dizzy and possibly have a headache.

Also, this is mainly a matter of body size, volume consumed and most crucially time. Drinking litres of water in a space of minutes is going to be a concern, but over the course of a number of hours to a day? That's not an issue. If you're really concerned then drink isotonic sports drinks. They have a similar salt constitution as that of blood, so you have less need to worry about diluting your blood.

#38 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

different people are different. i drink half a gallon a day sometimes. it usually when i am working out.

#39 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Hey, Enigma had a thread where he almost killed himself doing this. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

#40 Posted by Toxeia (729 posts) -

If you want to die REAL fast from drinking water, use distilled.

#41 Posted by CornBREDX (5046 posts) -

You can also die if you consume more apples then a human can possibly eat- i don't remember the exact amount, but apples are naturally poisonous but its only harmful if you eat a ton of them.

I don't get what you're getting at, here. Anything is poisonous if you consume to much of it. The amount of water you'd have to consume would be way more then your body would let you drink. Only way would be to force yourself maybe.

The moral is stop consuming when your full, i guess?

#42 Posted by Subjugation (4719 posts) -

I only clicked on this topic because I thought your avatar was Zooey Deschanel. Then I realized it was Katy Perry. Now it is time to leave disappointed.

Also, you don't really need to worry about drinking too much water and dying from it. Drinking about eight glasses of water rapidly is pretty much a guaranteed puke. Your body doesn't let you accidentally do this to yourself.

#43 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Huh. I drink a few pint glasses of water back to back a few times a day because it stops me from getting spots. Maybe I should cut back on the old h20, but I need my fix of that crystal clear heaven, I'm itching for a hit of liquid refreshment.

#44 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1106 posts) -

You made the very same topic on GameSpot's OT...you expect a different answer here? You would die from having a increased cerebral liquor volume, increasing cerebral pressure that cause brain stem compressions.

#45 Edited by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

Who the fuck drinks 3 litres of water in 3 hours.....  

#46 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

You can drink whatever amount of water without dying, as long as you follow up with something with electrolytes in it. The whole Drinking yourself to death only happens when your electrolytes are put out of balance. I think

#47 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

It seems too easy to die if you jump in a fire. Or if you slit your wrists. Or inhale liquids. The trick is to not be stupid and ignore your body's warning signals.

It seems like it would be really painful to drink three liters of water in three hours without urinating. It also seems like being on fire or being cut or drowning would trigger something in your nervous system that would inspire you to stop doing that thing. If one doesn't take it upon themselves to notice, then they probably shouldn't reproduce. Darwinism to the rescue.

#48 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

DAMMIT MAKAROV!

#49 Posted by Nasharoo (61 posts) -
#50 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

Cytolysis!