It's been exactly a decade since this tragedy. Don't forget it.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Commando
Some of the less mature people in our generation think of "National Pot Smoking day" when they think of 4/20. The elderly generation may think of Hitler's birthday. But to many others, 4/20 is a day that brings back horrible memories, and reminders of the friends and loved ones they lost during a terrible attack at one particular high school.

Exactly 10 years ago. At 11:10 AM on 4/20 1999, two students began their massacre at Columbine High School, killing 12 students and one teacher, wounding many others before taking their own lives. Some of you may have heard about this at a school assembly, or in the news. Either way, it is remembered as a tragic event that could have possibly been prevented. 

After the two 20 pound propane bombs(set to 11:14 AM) they planted in the cafeteria failed to cause the explosion they had planned, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold began their rampage. Armed with two 9mm and two 12 Gauge shotguns, they murdered 13 people, while wounding over 20 others. 

One person killed by the murders, who I'm sure many of you have heard of, was Rachel Scott. She was the "nice girl" in the school. She was friendly to everyone there, and one student claims she is the reason he did not attempt suicide. She had a diary. Her parents read the diary and started something called "Rachel's Challenge". It challenges students to quit being jerks to people who are different, or to anyone in general. 

Rachel's Challenge is famous because the two students who did this massacre were picked on, and many people think if people weren't jerks to these kids then they wouldn't have massacred everyone. 
I met Rachel's parents a few years ago, and I could tell you more about it, but I'm trying to keep this post somewhat readably short.

There are also claims that some of the students knew about the massacre before it happened, and didn't tell anyone because they didn't think they'd actually go through with it. This could have also prevented the attacks, so if you hear about any attacks, tell someone immediately.

There are a lot of theories as to why these two kids went on this killing spree. They range from video games to bad parenting to loose gun laws. I just think these two kids were messed up to begin with, and their fellow students just pushed them over the cliff that they were already near.
So next time, think twice before you make fun of someone. You don't know what could happen as a result.

So instead of smoking illegal substances on 4/20, remember Columbine, and don't let it be forgotten.
Avatar image for babyfart_mcgeezaks
BabyFart_McGeezaks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

they used to train on doom cause its a murder simulator

also i cant make any promises on that last line u goob
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By theone86

Why does it have to be instead of?  Anyways, I study up on issues like Columbine and other acts of violence every day, studying and analyzing them will one day be part of my job.  I don't think it's all that irresponsible to take a day off and partake in certain activities that help me relieve stress.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King
BabyFart_McGeezaks said:
"they used to train on doom cause its a murder simulator

"
Not exactly. They played Doom, looked at it, and said it wasn't violent enough for them. That's the ultimate proof that they were fucked up beyond any help. How can you blame anything else for it when they were that screwed up?
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ninjakiller

This article has a perspective on gaming in regards to Colombine. 

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By Artie
Video_Game_King said:
That's the ultimate proof that they were fucked up beyond any help. How can you blame anything else for it when they were that screwed up?"
I think the ultimate proof that they were fucked up beyond any help is when they murdered 13 people and wounded 20 others.
Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By MasturbatingBear

Huh, Kinda sucks that it happened on pot smoking day AND hitlers birthday. Guess its kinda overshadowed by them.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Scooper

Just to show you what I've been subjected to I thought 4/20 said E-40 for a second.

"Not exactly. They played Doom, looked at it, and said it wasn't violent enough for them. That's the ultimate proof that they were fucked up beyond any help. How can you blame anything else for it when they were that screwed up?"

If I'd done that I'd blame games for it aswell even if it didn't play a part, I'm sure a Mental Clink is cosier then a ward for homocides.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By RHCPfan24
Artie said:
"Video_Game_King said:
That's the ultimate proof that they were fucked up beyond any help. How can you blame anything else for it when they were that screwed up?"
I think the ultimate proof that they were fucked up beyond any help is when they murdered 13 people and wounded 20 others."
Touche.

And this day is very tragic, indeed. It is horrible that Virginia Tech even ousted this "record" with its massacre, but this is the one that truly caught the world's attention.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By JoelTGM
Commando said:
"So next time, think twice before you make fun of someone. You don't know what could happen as a result."
Um, I don't think that "don't make fun of someone or they may come back as a suicidal maniac and shoot you with a 12 gauge shotgun" is the message people like Rachel's parents are trying to get across.  The kids on both sides, the bullies and the victims, just need to lighten up.  Teenagers think that if they get a bad reputation in highschool, the world is over, and they either slit their wrists a hundred times, hang themselves, or go to school with a firearm and a deathwish.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By theone86
Video_Game_King said:
"BabyFart_McGeezaks said:
"they used to train on doom cause its a murder simulator

"
Not exactly. They played Doom, looked at it, and said it wasn't violent enough for them. That's the ultimate proof that they were fucked up beyond any help. How can you blame anything else for it when they were that screwed up?"

Something people need to realize is that the majority of people who bring Doom up as a matter of concern in this incident don't believe it CAUSED them to do it.  It's not as simple as that.  The problem is that when people who are already mentally disturbed or who might be on the edge partake in uber-violent video games like Doom it can escalate their mental disturbances, push them over the edge, and/or further desensitize them to violence.  I mean, we all talk about parents being responsible, but don't you think a responsible parent would have turned off the game and attempted to find out what was wrong with their child?  At any rate, not everyone who acknowledges Doom's role thinks video games should be banned and censored, all we want is for it to be just as hard for a minor to buy a mature title as it is for them to buy a mature video or a pack of cigarettes.  I do realize that this is already the case in many parts of the country and I do not support all legislation concerning regulating video games, but I do think reacting in such an agressive manner and never giving any credit to the arguments on the other side reflects badly upon the gaming community.  No one takes us very seriously and it's not because they look down on us naturally, it's because many times we get angry and defensive instead of trying to debate in an objective manner.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Snipzor

There's an old (Okay, just 1999) documentary series and one of the films is called "Tough Guise". I suggest you all take a look at it. In terms of culture, it isn't up to date, but it is still completely relevant to the subject. You can find it HERE.

If you are also interested, there is another article here you can read. Very good read, I'll link it when I find it.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By theone86
Snipzor said:
"There's an old (Okay, just 1999) documentary series and one of the films is called "Tough Guise". I suggest you all take a look at it. In terms of culture, it isn't up to date, but it is still completely relevant to the subject. You can find it HERE.

If you are also interested, there is another article here you can read. Very good read, I'll link it when I find it.
"

I saw part of that film in my sociology class, thought it was excellent, watched the rest on YT, and it's become one of my favorite resources in terms of argumentation.  In terms of relevance, I think it's eerily relevant in terms of the statement about the sex of the perpitrators never being brought up as an issue in the larger media spectrum.  Props for posting it.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By theone86
DOUBLESHOCK said:
"Commando said:
"So next time, think twice before you make fun of someone. You don't know what could happen as a result."
Um, I don't think that "don't make fun of someone or they may come back as a suicidal maniac and shoot you with a 12 gauge shotgun" is the message people like Rachel's parents are trying to get across.  The kids on both sides, the bullies and the victims, just need to lighten up.  Teenagers think that if they get a bad reputation in highschool, the world is over, and they either slit their wrists a hundred times, hang themselves, or go to school with a firearm and a deathwish."

Well, exactly how are they supposed to lighten up?  Sometimes these kids can feel like they are not only totally alone, but they are totally lost and inherently bad.  If you're going to base a definition of masculinity on tearing down self-esteem then you have to expect that certain males are going to react in extreme ways.
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Commando
sidescroller said:
"Honestlly, I think it's stupid that you are focusing on the anniversery of the massacre today.  If anything we should be mourning the ones who didn't make it through the shooting."
Not many people here were old enough for the Columbine attacks to have any impact on them. I bet some of them haven't even heard of it, that's why I'm telling them what happened. I'm telling them not to let it be forgotten because if people forget about it, they'll let it happen again. I did tell about one victim. I met her parents, and that's why I talked about her. I didn't meet anyone who knew any other victims, so how can I tell you about them if I don't know their names, or anything about them?
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Commando
theone86 said:
"DOUBLESHOCK said:
"Commando said:
Um, I don't think that "don't make fun of someone or they may come back as a suicidal maniac and shoot you with a 12 gauge shotgun" is the message people like Rachel's parents are trying to get across.  The kids on both sides, the bullies and the victims, just need to lighten up.  Teenagers think that if they get a bad reputation in highschool, the world is over, and they either slit their wrists a hundred times, hang themselves, or go to school with a firearm and a deathwish."
Well, exactly how are they supposed to lighten up?  Sometimes these kids can feel like they are not only totally alone, but they are totally lost and inherently bad.  If you're going to base a definition of masculinity on tearing down self-esteem then you have to expect that certain males are going to react in extreme ways."
To DOUBLESHOCK: I know that Rachel's parents aren't trying to say that. I met them. The message is that it can have a serious mental impact on the kids, and some kids won't ever be the same. You don't know the whole story of the "losers" you make fun of. They could be seriously fucked up in the head, how would you know? You don't know. The only thing I agree in your post is that high school does not matter. When I got to college, I completely forgot high school and nothing that happened in high school matters to me anymore, but at the time it was important. 

To theone86: Exactly. People over react, and its in our nature to not seek help from anyone. It makes us men. If a guy has problems, he bottles them inside and doesn't make it anyone else's problem. If a girl has problems, she lets everyone know.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King
theone86 said:
At any rate, not everyone who acknowledges Doom's role thinks video games should be banned and censored, all we want is for it to be just as hard for a minor to buy a mature title as it is for them to buy a mature video or a pack of cigarettes.
Well, given how easy it is to get the two latter, maybe you should rephrase that. When was the last time the cashier carded you when trying to buy a DVD copy of Ulysses? Do you know how many teens buy cigarettes a year, and how often?
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By theone86

Depends on the level of enforcement in the particular area, but enforcement means nothing if the laws aren't in place to begin with.  Like I said, most areas I know have laws prohibiting the sales of video games to minors and most stores I know card simply on principle.  I really see nothing wrong with video game legislation if the only goal is to stop the sale of video games to minors, except in the case of redundancy.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pause422

yeah..I'll continue thinking of it as the 420 everyone does, but thanks.

Lifestrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lifestrike
Oh my fucking god.

Holy fuckshits.

12 people die in a High School shooting.

Who the cares about the poor fucks who die in crowded marketplace explosions EVERY FUCKING WEEK.

But they always die. So fuck them, eh?

Wait a second!

How many hapless children are sniped off because they go to school not knowing they're rigged to a bomb?

I don't know, but one was on 4/20!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By JJOR64

Rachel's older brother actually came to my school to talk my Junior year.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Meowayne
remember Columbine, and don't let it be forgotten.

I prefer not to do exactly what the killers would have wanted. : D
Avatar image for prowlingmongoose
prowlingmongoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By prowlingmongoose

Yo fools, I think that there needs to be a little compromise here: Columbine sucks, and it is a terrible tragedy, but it is true that tragedies happen all the time. Instead of demonizing people to "celebrating" 4/20, we need to just learn from these events and hope they don't happen again.  You can't always be focused on the dark side of life, but you shouldn't ignore it either. 

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By Chummy8

I remember this.  The professor had the TV on in class back in college.  We just kinda sat there amazed.

insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By insouciant

I partially blame The Matrix (released March 31, 1999).
Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mmmslash
@insouciant:  Although in his context it's wildly inappropriate, you're grave-digging.
insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By insouciant
@Mmmslash:
I know.  That's what I do when I don't like the posts on the front page.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By jakob187

Video games didn't do shit in this. 

Two dumbasses who had shitty parents did this shit.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Well there's no reason to be jerks to people anyways.

Unless it's on Giant Bomb...then your E-penis gets HUGE! Trust me, I'm a 37 footer.

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mano521

im pretty sure im just gonna go smoke some weed, instead of just being a downer all day 

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MarkWahlberg

What always bothers me is when people assume that high schoolers are clique-ish and mean to kids who are 'different'. Sure, there were groups in my school, but whenever a kid sat by himself at lunch or stuff like that, it was always THEIR choice. After middle school (aka the time period when everyone is a total douche) the only times I really ever saw a person being picked on was because they did something that was clearly at fault and they should have known better, or some douche was talking trash, but nobody cared about what he had to say so it didn't matter. Based on my experience, the kinds of people who do develop hostile feelings towards their classmates are the ones who build the walls around themselves. I'm not saying we shouldn't try to be nicer to other people, I'm just saying don't assume high schoolers are the clique-ridden, bullying douches they show on TV.  Maybe that is what happened at Columbine, I dunno, but teenagers are insultingly stereotyped by the media constantly,  and no one ever says anything about it,  and that pisses the hell out of me.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Capum15

Alright, so it's not me, it's a damn zombie-thread apocalypse. Everyone grab yer shotguns.

Avatar image for altf4_for_colors
ALTF4_FOR_COLORS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ALTF4_FOR_COLORS
@Capum15: 

I call the Kleenex Benelli

Seriously though, what's with all the thread necromancy