• 157 results
#1 Edited by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I'm sure it's hot for everyone else. I'm trying to play some games in my room but as I said before its hot. We don't have an air conditioner and the fan just aint doing it, so I thought Ill ask you duders. How do you guys keep a room cold? Right now Im waiting for some water I put in a milk gallon to freeze. I saw online that if you do that, cut the plastic off, and then place the huge hunk of ice in a metal bowl in front of a fan, it's suppose to be a makeshift air conditioner. What methods do you guys have? Edit: Im testing it out! Edit 2: Upgraded design!

#2 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

I cool my room with an air conditioner in the window.

#3 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

Get into a bath tub full of Ice water. When you turn blue, start shivering uncontrollably, and cant feel your limbs, that means its working.

#4 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

I, uh, wait till it's starting to rain ._. Then open the window ._.

#5 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

I've had the same problem in the past growing up where I did. The answer for me was I grew up and moved somewhere cold.

#6 Posted by YI_Orange (1148 posts) -

I complain that it's hot and hope that it becomes less hot. Usually doesn't work.

#7 Posted by Daneian (1229 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

Get into a bath tub full of Ice water. When you turn blue, start shivering uncontrollably, and cant feel your limbs, that means its working.

Rinse. Repeat.

#8 Posted by Kidavenger (3548 posts) -

Keep your curtains closed, keeping the sun out will do a lot to help your room/house not heat up in the first place.

#9 Posted by Sackmanjones (4702 posts) -

I only have a cool room of nature decides to not be an ass

#10 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2029 posts) -

Honestly, drinking cold water is enough to the trick for me, but maybe that's because I've been conditioned to withstand the torture of it being hot as hell at night after summers of nothing but gaming without air condition late at night.

#11 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

Occasionally wash the backs of your hands, arms and the backs of your knees with cool water, that cools your shit way down. Or if you were sitting down and don't mind a damp chair, get a damp towel with ice wrapped in it and put it behind your knees.

#12 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

it's 113 today

viva las vegas

#13 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

Before I had AC i use to take several cold showers a day when I was home.

#14 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

It's 100 at Washigton.

#15 Posted by psylah (2177 posts) -

I spent the money on an air conditioner, a small portable one that only has a tube that leads to the window so that the HOA doesn't get on my ass about a big ugly window air conditioner.

After years and years of sweating in a room with a gaming PC and a console and a very large TV, it was waaay worth the money.

#16 Posted by Patman99 (1583 posts) -

Canada, bitches.... Just kidding, it's been like 35 degrees here for the past few days. Luckily my house has air conditioning but it only keeps the house at an 'ok' temperature rather than 30+.

#17 Posted by DillonWerner (1528 posts) -

It's hot as fuck. Its has literally been over 100 degrees for over two weeks straight.

#18 Posted by OldGuy (1557 posts) -

If you have a glass of ice water (or whatever your favorite cold beverage) hold it between your wrists (palms facing each other)... it will cool you right off... you can also hold a cold item on the side of your neck, coolness will follow...

#19 Edited by believer258 (11905 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

Same.

Our air conditioner actually did break a few weeks ago, but we've got window units here and there. As long as we keep the doors shut that don't have a window unit in them, the house stays relatively cool.

The noise pollution, however, is a very different matter.

Also, keep the curtains and blinds shut, drink lots of cold water, and take a few quick cold showers every now and then. You oughta be fine. Also, make good friends with someone who owns an AC unit.

#20 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

You and me both. I great until I have to leave my room to go to the bathroom.

#21 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1071 posts) -

I don't play games if it gets that hot anymore. Xbox 360 red lighted that way :(

#22 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

Get a cold Coke and mix it with Vanilla ice cream!

#23 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

@Seedofpower said:

@TooWalrus said:

I know, this summer it was like 110 up here (my bedroom/computer room is on the 2nd floor, it's pretty toasty.

#24 Posted by Undeadpool (4937 posts) -

Go soak ya head, kid!...No seriously, get your hair wet, that'll really help. Other than that, make sure at least one fan is near the window, it helps circulate the air.

#25 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
#26 Posted by StalkingTurnip (150 posts) -

Move somewhere where it is warm most of the year to justify having an actual ac.

#27 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1807 posts) -

Take off all of your clothes. No, seriously, take off all o-

You already did that? Pics or it didn't happen.

Yeah, I don't know dude, buy a cheap window unit AC? That's how most people do it.

#28 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

It was over 100 yesterday but its cooler today.

#29 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

Just went through a heatwave in Toronto - HELLISH. Over now though, pretty cool.

#30 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

I use black-out curtains. They keep the light out and it lowers the temperature in my rooms a bit.

#31 Posted by crimsinf (144 posts) -

I have to say, one thing I really like about the South is that (mostly) everyone has central air. One thing I like less is having to spend time outside during the summer. The temperature has approached 110 a few times in the last couple of weeks here.

#32 Posted by Muerthoz (350 posts) -

We always moved our gaming stuff to our basement during the summer to stay cool. We had air conditioning but my dad rarely liked to turn it on and and he didn't like to get it too cold.

#33 Posted by Ketchupp (672 posts) -

Control your body temperature with your mind.

#34 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@Seedofpower said:

@TooWalrus said:

I know, this summer it was like 110 up here (my bedroom/computer room is on the 2nd floor, it's pretty toasty.

Oh shit you're on the second floor too? Yeah man, I remember before I had it installed I had to fight with my parents about the house AC. Being in Fl, every day just felt like a sauna in my room.

#35 Posted by Hunter5024 (5683 posts) -

It's 110 in Tucson today. I got a swamp cooler but it's humid enough that it might as well not even be on, I don't even want to imagine what it would be like without my fan. I've tried that ice block thing but I didn't find it made a noticeable difference. Hopefully it's different for you. My only recommendation is turning off as many electronics as you can.

#36 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

This. I have had mine set to 64 for the last two weeks, feels so nice.

#37 Posted by konig_kei (617 posts) -

It's fucken freezing in aus, I'm also in the future right now. No joke.

#38 Posted by Sary (35 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

I'm sure it's hot for everyone else. I'm trying to play some games in my room but as I said before its hot. We don't have an air conditioner and the fan just aint doing it, so I thought Ill ask you duders. How do you guys keep a room cold? Right now Im waiting for some water I put in a milk gallon to freeze. I saw online that if you do that, cut the plastic off, and then place the huge hunk of ice in a metal bowl in front of a fan, it's suppose to be a makeshift air conditioner. What methods do you guys have?

Woooow, I had not thought to do that. =o

Yup, it's pretty hot over here in SoCal. Right now I just have a fan blowing and a big glass of iced water. Good time to tan I guess but... gosh, not today.

#39 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I have it set up!

#40 Posted by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

Luckily it's a lot cooler here in England than it sounds like it is in North America, but I've just been keeping my window open.

#41 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Heat used to bother me a lot more, now a lot less. I still prefer autumn/winter by long though.

#42 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

I have no idea how some of you people survive such tropical weather.

On a side-note, your Fahrenheit temperatures make me physically angry. Time to go punch some puppies.

#43 Posted by SeanCoughing (269 posts) -

With the heat and rampant wildfires Colorado has felt like hell lately, luckily we got some monsoon type weather over the weekend. Normally i use a AC that looks like a droid from star wars that has a hose that goes out the window, makes it like 65 in my small bedroom.

#44 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -
#45 Posted by Skytylz (4033 posts) -

We have central air.

#46 Posted by AjayRaz (12427 posts) -

we have central air so it's cold for the most part but at night, my room can get really hot because there are so many electronics running at once i guess

#47 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@mandude said:

I have no idea how some of you people survive such tropical weather.

On a side-note, your Fahrenheit temperatures make me physically angry. Time to go punch some puppies.

Celsius for life.

#48 Posted by pyrodactyl (2032 posts) -

@Akrid said:

Just went through a heatwave in Toronto - HELLISH. Over now though, pretty cool.

great, now it's coming my way

#49 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

I'm a brit currently in America. In Britain if it goes above 20C we consider it a heatwave, so I'm really feeling it here! No idea how you guys survive!

#50 Posted by ShaggE (6453 posts) -

@Jimi said:

I'm a brit currently in America. In Britain if it goes above 20C we consider it a heatwave, so I'm really feeling it here! No idea how you guys survive!

... That's it, I'm emigrating to the UK. That sounds WONDERFUL.