iTunes Video DRM vs. Amazon Instant Video DRM

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Duder_Me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Duder_Me

Let's say I want to purchase and download this corny incarnation of Scooby-Doo.

http://www.amazon.com/Shags-to-Riches/dp/B004X50ZQM

https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/shaggy-scooby-doo-get-clue!/id394517024

However, I want to watch it wherever and whenever I want, whether playing it back on Windows Media Player or VLC, via USB on my Blu-ray player, my iOS devices, etc. Apparently, both iTunes and Amazon have DRM in place that makes it a bit difficult to do so. Which video service is the best/easiest to get around DRM with and how do I get around the DRM exactly?

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't think you cab download any of the videos through Amazon. I think you can though iTunes. Also another alternative is the Google Play Store. I've found them to be pretty flexible.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@duder_me: This might not be the best place to ask this kind of question. Breaking DRM is potentially illegal, and it's frowned upon here to discuss that kind of stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@duder_me: "Getting around DRM" is illegal and unethical. It's also very difficult and annoying so you're better off just playing by the rules. If you have an Apple centric ecosystem (e.g. iPhone, Apple TV, etc), iTunes is the way to go, but Amazon video is available on just about everything. You can play Amazon videos on PS3, iPhones, and you can even stream it from an iPhone to an Apple TV. It's also available on Roku and many other devices.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@duder_me: "Getting around DRM" is illegal and unethical.

Ethics can be subjective. You could consider the DRM itself to be unethical by not allowing you to watch your purchased videos on any deice you please.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I won't deny that DRM can be annoying at times, but the circumvention of copy protection is specifically noted in our forum rules as illegal activity that shall not be discussed.