• 54 results
#1 Posted by Metal_Mills (3001 posts) -
#2 Edited by Random45 (1215 posts) -

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

NOT UNCLE PHIL!!!!

:(

Edit: Only 65 years old, what the hell? Why are so many people dying young?

Double edit: The only sources I can find about this are the tweet and a recent edit to wikipedia. Is this a hoax? There was a hoax where he had apparently died in 2010, so I dunno.

Triple edit: Alright, i guess it's official. Man that sucks.

#3 Posted by flasaltine (1676 posts) -

Was it in 2014 or 2013?

#4 Edited by Morningstar (2175 posts) -

Great, 2014 is starting they way 2013 ended....

#5 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3460 posts) -

arrrghhh... fuck 2014.

#6 Posted by TyCobb (1972 posts) -
#7 Posted by Pezen (1612 posts) -

Is this part of some Fresh Prince of Bel Air coverup? Recently Jeffrey Ian Pollack died, who was a producer on the show.

Rest in peace, Mr Avery. You and all of that show really gave me a bright spot on an otherwise pretty shitty life in my early teens.

#8 Posted by BaneFireLord (2941 posts) -

@flacracker: TMZ reports that he died last night, so 2013.

#9 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4826 posts) -

I loved him as Uncle Phil, but he was probably the most memorable to me as Shredder in the Ninja Turtles cartoon.

Damn.

#10 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3460 posts) -

Found out the guy was only 65 years old around the same age as my pops, still way to young. Just a reminder to tell your loved ones you love them around this time of year.

RIP James Avery

#11 Posted by StarvingGamer (8288 posts) -

May flights of angels sing thee to thy rest

#12 Posted by JeanLuc (3587 posts) -

That's a huge bummer. RIP James Avery.

#13 Edited by spraynardtatum (3024 posts) -

#14 Edited by RobotHamster (4172 posts) -

Fuck 2014

#15 Edited by MyNiceIceLife (623 posts) -

Well that's shitty and weird timing. I just ordered the entire Fresh Prince of Bel Air series from Amazon and it'll show up tomorrow. Guess it's as good a time to start watching it again. RIP James Avery.

#16 Posted by Grixxel (766 posts) -

Fuck you 2014.

#17 Edited by NegativeCero (3005 posts) -

Rest in peace and condolences to his loved ones.

#18 Posted by laserguy (444 posts) -

Well 2014 starts off with a bang. Zaza outlasted Uncle Phil. She made it into 2014.

#19 Posted by iAmJohn (6122 posts) -

Fuck 2014

@grixxel said:

Fuck you 2014.

Happened last night so technically still part of 2013. That son-of-a-bitch just had to get one last gut check in before it went. >:(

#20 Posted by myketuna (1713 posts) -

Eat a dick, 2013.

#21 Posted by RonGalaxy (3181 posts) -

People die every day. Why are we relegating all tragedy to a year? Every year is filled with both tragedy and triumph.

#22 Edited by ZolRoyce (710 posts) -

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan. Maaaaaaaaaaaaan. Man. MAAAAAAAAN.

Fuck.

He was always super great as Uncle Phil and seemed like a genuinely nice guy from interviews and other movies.

People die every day. Why are we relegating all tragedy to a year? Every year is filled with both tragedy and triumph.

People know that, no one is actually legitimately saying that 2013 is the cause of everything bad that happened in it, neither will 2014 be the cause of the bad things that happen in it too, everyone knows this, it's just a silly stupid joking coping mechanism, because with certain deaths you just want to say fuck something, so fuck 2013 or 2014 because it's there for you to be sad or mad or jokingly angry at.

#23 Edited by TyCobb (1972 posts) -

Because they were celebrities. Duh! I don't get it either.

#24 Posted by Fluttercry (196 posts) -

Well 2014 starting off strong eh? I really hope this isn't another 2013

#25 Posted by 5Figh (172 posts) -

@tycobb said:

@naru_joe93 said:

It's because Ryan passed away last year and that is naturally gonna make people who followed him feel that way. Whether you feel that way or not, 2013 was a kinda shitty year for this site specifically and we are talking on this site so that feeling is gonna permeate.

#26 Posted by CornBREDX (5404 posts) -

He played Shredder too.

RIP.

#27 Posted by TyCobb (1972 posts) -

@5figh said:

@tycobb said:

@naru_joe93 said:

It's because Ryan passed away last year and that is naturally gonna make people who followed him feel that way. Whether you feel that way or not, 2013 was a kinda shitty year for this site specifically and we are talking on this site so that feeling is gonna permeate.

I wasn't really referring to that. More for the huge outcry of whenever an actor dies. This has been going on for many years. I swear there are more bullshit celebrity news stories than real news stories nowadays and I will never comprehend it so maybe I am just jaded.

#28 Edited by KaneRobot (1644 posts) -
#29 Posted by gokaired (541 posts) -

arrrghhh... fuck 2014.

What he said but i bet he'll be in a long list of Black guys that die with little or no fanfair

(Sorry to put race into this but I've seen a long list of damn near talented or important Black people who pass, barely noticed >:( )

#30 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3881 posts) -

@tycobb: every time a thread like this happens a few people feel the need to make this point again. There's nothing to get. People like actors and have an affinity for them because of certain performances. It's a bummer to hear that someone you like has died. Nobody's saying THIS IS THE WORST AND ONLY BAD THING THAT IS HAPPENING IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW

#31 Posted by RonGalaxy (3181 posts) -

@5figh said:

@tycobb said:

@naru_joe93 said:

Why would a persons natural feeling towards death be blaming the year that it occurred? That doesn't seem like a logical conclusion to me. It's human mortality's fault that people die, and when that happens we mourn the loss, remember who they were, and cherish what they gave to us. At least, that's what I do when a person dies.

Shit, I sound like an ass hole.... I guess people have their own ways of mourning, so Im not gonna question it anymore.

#32 Edited by big_jon (5734 posts) -

What is with all the deaths...

Anyways that's sad, I was not sure who you meant till I clicked.

#33 Edited by Mister_Avatar (67 posts) -

Guess the turtles finally got him

#34 Posted by mrfluke (5200 posts) -

man...that sucks..... hope it doesnt become a trend for 2014

#35 Edited by Jeust (10680 posts) -

Rest in peace.

@naru_joe93 said:

@5figh said:

@tycobb said:

@naru_joe93 said:

Why would a persons natural feeling towards death be blaming the year that it occurred? That doesn't seem like a logical conclusion to me. It's human mortality's fault that people die, and when that happens we mourn the loss, remember who they were, and cherish what they gave to us. At least, that's what I do when a person dies.

Shit, I sound like an ass hole.... I guess people have their own ways of mourning, so Im not gonna question it anymore.

@thesoutherndandy said:

@tycobb: every time a thread like this happens a few people feel the need to make this point again. There's nothing to get. People like actors and have an affinity for them because of certain performances. It's a bummer to hear that someone you like has died. Nobody's saying THIS IS THE WORST AND ONLY BAD THING THAT IS HAPPENING IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW

As I have concluded from a thread I made about a similar topic, the death of Paul Walker, people backlash against the year, not because they blame it of the death of a person, but because of the hope and faith they put in the expectation of the moment they are currently experiencing, that it would be better, and also because of their hopeful outlook to the moment yet to come. People hope for the best, and become sour when bad things happen.

I also believe people tend to face the subject of mortality and death only when they come face to face with these subjects, by the death of someone near to them or someone they came to like, like an actor or a sports player. And react to the news in their own peculiar way.

#36 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

his 2014 sucked

#37 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11806 posts) -

DAMN YOU LUIGI. YOU JUST HAD TO TAKE ONE MORE OUT WITH YOU.

#38 Posted by GnaTSoL (793 posts) -

This pains me. I grew up watching his show and James Avery was so funny too. I can't believe this...

The day we lose Will I might implode....God bless everyone with good health. Don't take anymore.

#39 Posted by Hailinel (24977 posts) -

@random45 said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

NOT UNCLE PHIL!!!!

Double edit: The only sources I can find about this are the tweet and a recent edit to wikipedia. Is this a hoax? There was a hoax where he had apparently died in 2010, so I dunno.

Sixty-five isn't really that young.

#40 Posted by ripelivejam (4084 posts) -
@hailinel said:

@random45 said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

NOT UNCLE PHIL!!!!

Sixty-five isn't really that young.

yeah this. i'd be pleased as punch if i lived that long.

#41 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -
#42 Posted by Random45 (1215 posts) -

@hailinel:

Haha, don't say that around the older folks. Plus, the average life span is around 80 years old, so dying at roughly the 80% point of the average life span is pretty young in my book. Plus, there are actors like Christopher Lee, who is 91 years old and still acting, so to someone like him, 65 would be very young, haha.

#43 Posted by Yummylee (21796 posts) -

Well, shit. =/

#44 Posted by Hailinel (24977 posts) -

@random45 said:

@hailinel:

Haha, don't say that around the older folks. Plus, the average life span is around 80 years old, so dying at roughly the 80% point of the average life span is pretty young in my book. Plus, there are actors like Christopher Lee, who is 91 years old and still acting, so to someone like him, 65 would be very young, haha.

My parents are sixty-five and have grandchildren. They acknowledge that they're old. And though the average human lifespan may be eighty, actually living that long while being able to maintain your mind and body to a comfortably livable degree is something else entirely.

#45 Posted by 8Bit_Archer (456 posts) -

Fuck my life...its not worth living anymore. Seriously that sucks. :(

#46 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Uncle Phil was the best character on Fresh Prince.

RIP

#47 Posted by ShaggE (6479 posts) -

@tycobb said:

@5figh said:

@tycobb said:

@naru_joe93 said:

I wasn't really referring to that. More for the huge outcry of whenever an actor dies. This has been going on for many years. I swear there are more bullshit celebrity news stories than real news stories nowadays and I will never comprehend it so maybe I am just jaded.

I'm no fan of celeb obsession myself, but what's wrong with reacting negatively towards the death of one? That's how people work: They grow fond of another person either personally or just due to their output, and then they find that person's eventual death to be an unpleasant event.

#48 Posted by Kevin_Cogneto (1083 posts) -

But you have to admit, some people have some very unhealthy emotional ties to people that they don't even know...

#49 Edited by MetalBaofu (1393 posts) -

Can't have a thread like this without someone coming in and saying, "So what? People die all the time. Why do you care about some celebrity? I don't understand it."

I loved watching Fresh Prince(still will if I catch it on TV). James Avery was a huge part of that. I got many, many hours of entertainment and laughter from him and that show. To me it makes complete sense to be saddened about him passing away. Obviously, I don't mean saddened on the same level as when my grandmother passed away or if my mother was to pass away. But still, sad. What I don't understand, is why it's so hard for some people to understand that.

My condolences to his friends and family.

#50 Posted by wumbo3000 (979 posts) -