Japan, don't take my pants!

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

So "AKIBA'S TRIP: Undead & Undressed" is available on PSN for Vita. The gameplay has you defending yourself against your attackers by stripping their clothes off. Apparently it's a parody of games or something.

Will this be 2014's weird/disturbing game of the year?

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

If you remove the space in "Akiba's Trip" and treat the apostrophe as a break then this game makes total sense.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's weird for sure, but from what I've seen, it's actually tamer than many will likely expect. It's more odd or silly than disturbing.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Sorry but they all still have their pants on, this is false advertising.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's weird for sure, but from what I've seen, it's actually tamer than many will likely expect. It's more odd or silly than disturbing.

Yeah. That horror game (Blackbay Asylum) on the front page looks more disturbing to be honest.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TruthTellah

@truthtellah said:

Yeah. That horror game (Blackbay Asylum) on the front page looks more disturbing to be honest.

Easily. There will probably be a dozen Steam games more disturbing.

Honestly, I haven't seen anything from the game that is really disturbing as much as it is silly or absurd. I mean, if I see Dan doing Dan stuff, I don't consider it disturbing. It's more "I feel like face palming but it's also kinda amusing in an endearing way". The developer has clearly been having fun with making Akiba's Trip, and like Conception II before it, it will likely have its quirky appeal.

I mean, you beat up vampires with an anime body pillow.  As Jeff might say,
I mean, you beat up vampires with an anime body pillow. As Jeff might say, "Okay, ya know what? This game is alright."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: Yes I should expand my horizons and play this :)

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TruthTellah

@afrofools: Sure! And then write a blog post about it so that people can get a better impression of it. :)

(I in no way vouch for the relative quality of Akiba's Trip, but most indications I've seen are of a quirky game that's more about a kind of juvenile frivolity ala Saints Row than something outright disturbing)

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#japan #nopants

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TruthTellah

Also, while I think there will be a clear appeal of the game which Xseed is heavily banking on, I believe it's reasonable for many to bring up genuine concerns about its content, and I will be very surprised if few people touch on the subject in the next couple weeks as it releases overseas.

I can understand seeing a game based around assaulting people by tearing off their clothes and beating them with things as being a bit unsettling for some. Their potential objections are not unreasonable, and any of my defenses of the game's odd, silly charm do not deny how problematic parts of it may be. I am both turned away and intrigued by its absurdity, and Xseed appears to believe they have a winner here.

From what I've seen, it's an interesting little game that attempts to ride a line between parody and sincerity, and as people start playing the final overseas version, I hope we'll get some nice discussions around the different ways that different people respond to the game.

I hope the male fanservice will be as much a part of the game as Xseed has said it will be.  Certainly no Mount Your Friends though...
I hope the male fanservice will be as much a part of the game as Xseed has said it will be. Certainly no Mount Your Friends though...

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TruthTellah

@fattony12000: Wait, what? ha. Tony, are you just sharing two screenshots from your efforts to make a video of your infamous trip to Japan?

And were you purposefully prowling around to find Japanese women in frilly maid uniforms? http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_super/9/92448/2636108-2634134-wow3.gif

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fattony12000
@truthtellah said:

@fattony12000: Wait, what? ha. Tony, are you just sharing two screenshots from your efforts to make a video of your infamous trip to Japan?

And were you purposefully prowling around to find Japanese women in frilly maid uniforms?

At night, in Akihabara, you can't cross a single street without seeing/being accosted by a lady dressed in such garb, proffering you advertising tissues or leaflets!

And, as you can see for yourself, they are indeed NOT wearing pants. I'm just presenting the facts as I see them!

Interestingly, in Shibuya, there were more male people doing a similar job, but they usually rocked pretty crazy goth/metal getups instead. Those guys, were indeed, wearing pants.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TruthTellah

@fattony12000 said:
@truthtellah said:

And were you purposefully prowling around to find Japanese women in frilly maid uniforms?

At night, in Akihabara, you can't cross a single street without seeing/being accosted by a lady dressed in such garb, proffering you advertising tissues or leaflets!

And, as you can see for yourself, they are indeed NOT wearing pants. I'm just presenting the facts as I see them!

Interestingly, in Shibuya, there were more male people doing a similar job, but they usually rocked pretty crazy goth/metal getups instead. Those guys, were indeed, wearing pants.

Tight, stretchy pants?

In the overseas release of Akiba's Trip, they would not be spared either.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fattony12000

@fattony12000 said:
@truthtellah said:

Tight, stretchy pants?

In the overseas release of Akiba's Trip, they would not be spared either.

No Caption Provided