#1 Posted by Aegon (5471 posts) -

#2 Edited by Aegon (5471 posts) -

When he goes to Japan. And film it, because it's a relatively easy climb and why not.

It's around 2 hours distance from Tokyo, so it's not that big of a trip if he's taking like a week out.

The view is pretty good from up there:

#3 Posted by Bishna (334 posts) -

Is there a Super Potato up there? Then no.

#4 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

What prompted this thought? Jeff would be too busy buying games to climb mountains. Regardless of size or ease of climb.

#5 Posted by Turambar (6713 posts) -

Jeff should climb a Mt Fuji of video game cartridges.

#6 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

It's more of a hike than a climb.

#7 Posted by Clonedzero (4198 posts) -

nah. let jeff do what he wants, dont pressure him into doing stuff, thats a dick move bro.

dick move.

#8 Posted by Iodine (545 posts) -

Jeff should hike Fuji while playing finishing PS4 Golden

#9 Posted by Snail (8593 posts) -

Jeff the Gerstmann is climbing a mountain, why is he climbing a mountain?

#10 Posted by CaLe (3944 posts) -

No. I just finished reading Into Thin Air and no one should climb any mountains ever again.

#11 Posted by Phatmac (5724 posts) -

Don't tell him what to do!

#12 Posted by Aegon (5471 posts) -

@CaLe said:

No. I just finished reading Into Thin Air and no one should climb any mountains ever again.

Like @Sooty said, it's not really a climb. More of a hike. Comparing Mt. Everest to this is just...lol. That's a book I plan to read though.

#13 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -

@Turambar said:

you mean his bedroom?

#14 Posted by CaLe (3944 posts) -

@Aegon said:

@CaLe said:

Like @Sooty said, it's not really a climb. More of a hike. Comparing Mt. Everest to this is just...lol. That's a book I plan to read though.

I wasn't being entirely serious, but yes you should read it. It completely changed my perspective on Everest and mountain climbing in general.

#15 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

One does not just climb a mountain. One must become a mountain to conquer one.

#16 Posted by AjayRaz (12424 posts) -

he should take all the games from the raid and bring them up to mount fuji so he can bury them in a sacred place for a young wanderer to find years later

#17 Posted by EuanDewar (4873 posts) -

Is that Karl Pilkington

#18 Posted by Aegon (5471 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

Is that Karl Pilkington

Yes.

#19 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@CaLe said:

@Aegon said:

@CaLe said:

I wasn't being entirely serious, but yes you should read it. It completely changed my perspective on Everest and mountain climbing in general.

That book was recently endorsed on the Tested podcast as well, and once read by Vinny 'Gunz' Caravella.

#20 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Only if at the top lies the gateway to the Meat Dimension.

#21 Posted by Bozar (133 posts) -

He should wander around the woods surrounding the mountain, filming a gritty remake of 'Stand by Me' set in a post-apocalyptic alternate future Japan where gaming doesn't exist.

#22 Posted by Zajtalan (1163 posts) -

that foo will not climb Fuji lol

#23 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

@Bishna said:

Is there a Super Potato up there? Then no.

There should be.

#25 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

If he's there for a week, a walk up Fuji would take up a lot of time, if done properly. I went to catch the sunrise, which meant I took a bus from Tokyo at around 6 pm, arrived at the mountain at around 9 pm and reached the top at around 3 or 4 am, which is way to fast, by the way. The two hours I waited for the sun to rise at 6 am. were horrible because of the altitude sickness. I would recommend you bring cash, because since I didn't have any, I had to walk down the entire mountain in loose gravel, fighting sunstroke, and was lucky enough to have a random, passing taxi driver pick me up and get me to a bus station. I got back to Tokyo at around noon and slept until the next morning. So, the trip took me a little over a day, which I could spend since I was there for a few weeks. Granted, with better preparation than mine, Jeff could make it quite quick and comfortable for himself, but it's still quite a lot of time out of a week.

#26 Edited by GalacticGravy (545 posts) -

Jeff can't. He's stated in his jar videos that he has a medical condition preventing him from walking up too many stairs. And not in a joking way. He legitimately said that.

#27 Posted by TooWalrus (13155 posts) -

Exercise induced asthma.

#28 Edited by doosmacleod (187 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

Exercise induced asthma.

Sounds like a Ben Stiller-esque comedy in the making.

...with a horrible downer ending.

#29 Posted by TooWalrus (13155 posts) -

@doosmacleod said:

@TooWalrus said:

Exercise induced asthma.

Sounds like a Ben Stiller-esque comedy in the making.

...with a horrible downer ending.

The guy can barely walk up stairs. (Those are his words, not mine. He mentioned it in one of the Jar Time videos, I think).

#30 Posted by ShaggE (6402 posts) -

Keep asking for Endurance Climbs, and they'll never do it.

#31 Posted by steelerzfan101 (270 posts) -

If that thought of climbing Mt. Fuji springs in his head, I want to see a livestream!

#32 Edited by Chrjz (326 posts) -

Jeff has uncontrolled exercised-induced asthma to the point where his doctor told him he shouldn't climb stairs. I don't think he would ever hike up a mountain.

#33 Posted by JasonR86 (9651 posts) -

Sure he should. That would be really hard to do though and I'm not doing it so it's easy for me to say he should do it.

#34 Posted by Sanj (2364 posts) -

Someone should climb Jeff Gerstmann.

#35 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

@Aegon: does he get a a pair pilko-pump pants?

#36 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

maybe drew or dave should do it instead...

#37 Posted by Killerfridge (308 posts) -

@thedj93 said:

Flight club climbing Mount Fuji? Sign me up.

#38 Posted by awesomeusername (4168 posts) -

@Turambar said:

Genius.

#39 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

I just wanna pipe in a say that climbing Mt. Fuji is something I definitely intend to do at some point.

#40 Posted by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -

mfw freeloading leeches don't even realize that Jeff has a condition, as was stated in an exclusive video only for premium members

#41 Posted by Aegon (5471 posts) -

@Killerfridge said:

@thedj93 said:

Flight club climbing Mount Fuji? Sign me up.

I'd be up for this too, but whether or not they're going to Japan is a big question.

#42 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

Krakauer's recounting of certain aspects of the ill-fated climb has generated considerable criticism, both from the climb's participants and from renowned mountaineers such as Galen Rowell. Much of the disputed material centers on Krakauer's accounting of the actions of Russian climber and guide Anatoli Boukreev. An experienced high-altitude climber and guide for Scott Fischer, Boukreev descended the summit prior to his clients, ostensibly out of concern for their safety and in preparation for potential rescue efforts. Boukreev later mounted repeated solo rescue efforts, saving several lives. In his book, Krakauer acknowledged Boukreev's heroism in saving two climbers' lives, but questions his judgment, however, for his decision to descend before clients, for not using supplementary oxygen, for his choices of gear on the mountain, and for his interactional style with clients. Boukreev provides a rebuttal to these allegations in his book, The Climb. All clients Boukreev guided on the mountain made it back safely, while Krakauer's expedition mates suffered injury or death.

Galen Rowell criticized Krakauer's account, citing numerous inconsistencies in his narrative while observing that Krakauer was sleeping in his tent while Boukreev was rescuing other climbers. Rowell argued that Boukreev's actions were nothing short of heroic, and his judgment prescient. “...[Boukreev] foresaw problems with clients nearing camp, noted five other guides on the peak Everest, and positioned himself to be rested and hydrated enough to respond to an emergency. His heroism was not a fluke."

The account has also been criticized for not informing the reader that the team were receiving accurate daily weather forecasts, and knew about the storm in advance.

#43 Posted by twigger89 (278 posts) -

@Aegon said:

When he goes to Japan. And film it, because it's a relatively easy climb and why not.

It's around 2 hours distance from Tokyo, so it's not that big of a trip if he's taking like a week out.

The view is pretty good from up there:

Hey, Karl Pinkerton!

Idiot abroad was an amazing show.

#44 Posted by Slag (4222 posts) -

Jeff doesn't strike me as a guy who is either in good enough shape to do it or would enjoy the endeavor.

could be wrong.

but whatever let the man do what he wants.

#45 Posted by Excast (895 posts) -

As much as I love Jeff, he doesn't really look like he is in mountain climbing shape to me..if you know what I mean.

#46 Posted by Kolonel_Kool (327 posts) -

If Jeff does anything it should be stand-up comedy. Although I shutter to think of him as a stand-up comedian (in a good way). Listening to him on the podcasts and panels, he would be an absolute beast.

#47 Posted by GnomeonFire (708 posts) -

While it would be entertaining no doubt. I don't want to risk killing my favorite Giantbomb gamesman with a heart attack.

#48 Posted by panvixyl (325 posts) -

He wouldn't even get 1/10th of the way up there.

Maybe he could take a helicopter up -- buuut, I don't think his conscience would allow it.

#49 Posted by RedRavN (398 posts) -

I would absolutely love to climb mount fugi some day. Maybe when I have the time and money :) I have heard that mount fugi is relatively easy to climb. Was there any technical parts in the asent on the route that you took. Are there more challenging routes if you want to do more than just walk up? Either way, It would be a killer experience to just be on the mountain.